• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toad is a playable character.

And Bowser Jr.'s importance has diminished with the return of the Kooplings.

I would say Toad is more important to the series than Bowser Jr.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

But no, I agree. Bowser Jr. is slightly less important than Toad to the Mario series overall. Although on the other hand; Bowser Jr is more important than basically any other character to Mario not currently in. Bowser Jr. would also probably be quite fun to play as.

Would still prefer a playable Toad, Waluigi or Paper Mario to him though.

But not Geno.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Replace Bowser Jr. with Waluigi. Now it's perfect.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
To be fair Bowser Jr really is the one who kidnaps Peach each and everytime these days (unless you're playing 3D Land) so he has become very important, where as Toad is just the playable character that the friend who is late to the party gets to play as. Neither is necessary to the series though, which is why I'm not expecting any Mario newcomer.

Jigglypuff – *Jumps on TV monitor and obtains flame shield* Yes, I have cut one of the original 12 fighters. Despite having a little bit of relevancy again in the 6th generation games with the new Fairy type, I don't really see her returning. Also, Jigglypuff would have not been in Brawl if it weren't for Sonic's inclusion, which allowed Sakurai some time to also include her, Wolf, and Toon Link, who are all only unlockable after Sonic, and she even was the lowest ranked character in the Brawl tier list, meaning that Sakurai may have not really cared for her anymore and just wanted one more character to make the roster a complete rectangle.
That's not true. The character roster was initially decided in 2006, but due to the insane demand of having to add Sonic in he was added later in early 2007. Sonic was the very last character added to the roster, not as the last character added as data, but the last character added into the plan. Sonic also got the game delayed. He was prioritized over the likes of Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf because he is a 3rd Party character, which means that they had a lot of stuff to do in a very short amount of time to include him, once they had the rights there was no turning back, and they were already heavily pressed on time, which is also why Snake was among the first characters to be coded into the game. Sonic's inclusion did the opposite of what you stated, he didn't help Jigglypuff in, he most likely got characters like Mewtwo cut instead.

Also, this is just a note, but Zoroark falls in the same situation as Blaziken did in Brawl, being in a Generation which is long overdue once the game ships. I'm not sure why you bring the relevancy argument up so often but include both him and Hoenn Trainer when Lucario and Red are much more relevant right now (especially Red with his 4 episode special and the Kanto starters' big-time in X & Y.)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do not think the Mario series needs another rep (I count Yoshi, and Wario is connected by his name and appearance).

However, Paper Mario I feel brings the most mechanics (Partner swapping and folding for movement options).

Toad makes the Mario series seem complete (the SNES racers in Mariokart along with the fact that he is becoming a more common selectable player these days).

Rosalina I feel is worth it if she taps into the mechanics and atmosphere of the Mario Galaxy games.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
bowser jr is still pretty important because he's shown as above of the koopalings and when the koopalings aren't there, it's him. (See: galaxy 1/2, Sunshine, Sticker Star, etc)

I'd like if we got both, but I also don't mind if we got neither.

D

Deleted member

In the Mario series as of late, it's either Jr., the Koopalings, Jr. AND the Koopalings, or Boom-Boom and Pom-Pom.

Kind of a crapshoot....

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm hoping Jr. and the Koopalings will start to appear together more often.

And while I don't mind Boom Boom and Pom Pom, I miss bosses like the ones from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
And Bowser Jr.'s importance has diminished with the return of the Kooplings.
Hardly. Bowser Jr. is ranked higher than the Koopalings, as he's Bowser's true son, while the Koopalings are just Bowser's step-children. To add to this, Bowser Jr. has been more involved with Bowser's schemes than the Koopalings, and not once have the Koopalings been involved with a 3D Mario title.

Keep in mind, however, that this only really applies to the platformers, as I tend to separate the Super Mario titles from the Mario RPG titles.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Koopalings' role as bosses in Mario titles was usurped by Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings disappeared. But then they returned again, sharing part of the role as General and boss with Bowser Jr.

There was a backlash to Bowser Jr.'s initial inclusion. People wanted the Koopalings back. Now that Bowser Jr. has to share his role as General/Boss again with the Koopalings(in some games), that diminishes his importance overall in my eyes.

Mewtwo was planned to be in alongside Lucario in Brawl, it has unfinished data in the game. Lucario did not replace Mewtwo.
Lucario was given priority over Mewtwo in Brawl. So was Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, and Jiggs.

If there was a job situation where a company hires a new guy, but then immediately gives word to the employees that if the economy gets bad they will have to lay someone off, and then the economy gets bad, and then they lay off a guy who has been at the company longer... I think that guy being laid off will feel like he was replaced by the new guy.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Lucario was given priority over Mewtwo in Brawl. So was Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, and Jiggs.

If there was a job situation where a company hires a new guy, but then immediately gives word to the employees that if the economy gets bad they will have to lay someone off, and then the economy gets bad, and then they lay off a guy who has been at the company longer... I think that guy being laid off will feel like he was replaced by the new guy.

By that logic, Lucario is no more guilty then PT.

Really, this whole "Lucario replaced Mewtwo" rumor needs to be thrown into the deepest circles of Hell. It's been proven time and time again that it was not the scenario placed before the characters and if time permitted, both would've been in together.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Really, this whole "Lucario replaced Mewtwo" rumor needs to be thrown into the deepest circles of Hell. It's been proven time and time again that it was not the scenario placed before the characters and if time permitted, both would've been in together.
Correct on Pokemon Trainer, but Lucario also stole one of Mewtwo's moves.

So because:
1. Lucario had much higher priority
2. Took Mewtwo's B move

People will feel that Lucario replaced Mewtwo.

And replacement sometimes happens because of constraints such in this case, time. If there was more time, both would get in. But because there was not more time, the new guy with the same B move was given priority over the veteran. Some people will call this replaced.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

"But..but they both have a projectile that they need to charge! That make Lucario a clone!!1!1!"

I'd be fine if either one came back but it's no skin off my back if only one or neither show up. Still Mewtwo was only cut as far as we know due to time constraints. So he could be added to SSB4 if the Devs have enough time to work on him.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
New roster, thought about adding back Lucario and adding Toad, which makes an a total of 48 characters:
I like the addition of Toad. I am not sure the tag team mechanic will be used this time around with Dixie and Diddy, but I would not mind it. Not crazy about Little Mac, but I am aware he is a good guess to take a spot. I love Ridley and love the inclusion of only two FE reps. Palutena is cool. I would pick either Ness or Lucas, but this is the safer and probably correct choice. Love Pacman, like Shulk and Mii (while I have concerns he could be too close to Villager, but he doesn't have to be) as new reps. I do not know enough about Dr. Kawashima or Daitouryou. I bet they would piss people off like the Wii Trainer, but maybe they could bring enough mechanics to the game. Return of Mewtwo is good. I do not like Tom Nook with the Villager. The Villager represents Animal Crossing to a large enough degree I feel.

Overall, one of the less offensive rosters with a few surprise curveballs.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a feeling we won't get Mewtwo at all this week, besides the game already sold 4 million copies, it didn't need the promotion.
Jiggypuff for Halloween? She has a costume fetish! One on the first of October the other on the 31st. It might be a a general Pokemon month promotion, they did it with Sonic. No date.

On the topic of Mewtwo, I caught a Modest Mewtwo and EV trained it in Sp Attack and Sp Def/Def (Super Training is the best. EV training in an hour). It has great IVs to cover his speed and HP. I think it might be the most powerful Mewtwo I have ever owned. It sweeps the entire Elite 4 and Champion alone.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
eh I don't think we'll get a Pokémon reveal till around the holiday season, the best I think we'll get is rob tomorrow.
if not then we bust for October
except for some fun puns

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Correct on Pokemon Trainer, but Lucario also stole one of Mewtwo's moves.

So because:
1. Lucario had much higher priority
2. Took Mewtwo's B move

People will feel that Lucario replaced Mewtwo.

And replacement sometimes happens because of constraints such in this case, time. If there was more time, both would get in. But because there was not more time, the new guy with the same B move was given priority over the veteran. Some people will call this replaced.

Lucario no more 'stole' Mewtwo's move then Mewtwo 'stole' Samus' Charge Shot, the moves are similar, that's it.

Also, that's a load of crap. If I was working alongside someone and then got fired/let go while the other finished the project, I was not replaced by my co-worker, I was just kicked out before completion. That's exactly what happened to Mewtwo, both were planned, one just unfortunately got cut for time. Really, there's no reason to believe that Lucario replaced Mewtwo in any meaning of the word, it's just being stubborn to keep adhering to that rumor when it has already been disproven many times over.

Morbi

Scavenger
Lucario no more 'stole' Mewtwo's move then Mewtwo 'stole' Samus' Charge shot, the moves are similar and just that.

Also, that's a load of bull. If I was working alongside someone and then got fired while the other finished the project, I was not replaced by my co-worker, I was just kicked out before completion. That's exactly what happened to Mewtwo, both were planned, one just unfortunately got cut for time.
What? I understand the Mewtwo thing, but the real life analogy was flawless. If you were laid off and replaced, you were replaced. End of story, I mean you can always say that you didn't get to complete the project. However, that doesn't change the notion that they literally replaced you. Maybe an outsourcing example would be a more practical one.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I don't have the game,but I'm pretty sure that Sylveon is faster XD
Doesn't matter with all my defense! And I can even equip an item if I want! No way Sylveon is beating my panda. Aren't Slyveon's stats really bad anyway?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
What? I understand the Mewtwo thing, but the real life analogy was flawless. If you were laid off and replaced, you were replaced. End of story, I mean you can always say that you didn't get to complete the project. However, that doesn't change the notion that they literally replaced you. Maybe an outsourcing example would be a more practical one.
I think you mean flawed.

Anyway, you misunderstand the situation, I was working alongside the co-worker and got fired/laid off, I can't be replaced by someone who was already there. If said person came in after I was fired/laid off, then I was replaced by them, but said co-worker was already with me when it happened so he couldn't have been my replacement if he was already present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom