• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
My thought on "too many sword wielders":

...would we also complain about too many fist wielders?
In Melee, I think all sword characters were "humans." Link, Young Link, Marth, Roy.

I think slashes look more generic than fists for a couple reasons.
1. The flash animation.
2. Focus on the sword. Many fist animations have a focus point on the body movement rather than the fist. Windup fist, uppercut, straight shot, ankle shot. The character shifts their body for the attack and the lack of a flash does seem to make the move more personalized and therefore more unique. (This might seem different with Smash 4 using flashing animations for arm and leg attacks)

Also, sword plus humans might seem generic for a fantasy battle royale.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pacman could offer a different but varied movement style of play that takes advantage of a stage.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I read it on an article about Japan voting for their top pokemon, and if that's the case, I can remove the top three and start from there, then it'd be #1: Pikachu, #2: Meowth, #3: Eevee, #4: Mewtwo and Lucario goes up by three spots, these are genuine pokemon I know Japan would vote for.
That's assuming that those Pokemon aren't also influenced by that same mentality, the same variables that affect Arceus are probably still there for those Pokémon. So you can't just move them up because there may still be shifting depending on the reason they were voted for.

The problem with the polls for Dream World is that there's an influence for what's to be gained. Arceus got a ton of votes because many wanted a rare legendary, which could've taken away votes from other Pokémon that were favorites or influenced other Pokémon in that grouping you listed as some may've wanted a Prankster Lucario or Magic Bounce Espeon. There's a number of variables to consider for these polls that may have skewered the results, so unfortunately they're not completely accurate guidelines for what's popular.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Which is indeed valid logic for Smash Bros. We have a cape-wielding, fire-ball-throwing, "super-fisted" plumber;an enemy-eating hammer-smashing flying penguin king; a spiky-shelled, clawed, fire-breathing turtle; a peanut-shooting banana-throwing air-grabbing monkey; an iron-tailed electric mouse; a tag-team snow/ice-creating hammer-swinging children; and the diversity-on-pixels that is Mr. G&W.

A game like Smash, with true diversity in fighting style being pretty huge, then too many "elegant/magical princess/goddess" types is definitely a huge problem.

Can you provide me or link me to a reasonable & unique moveset for her? I truly don't know much about her, and if she's got a lot of niche/uniqueness potential, then I can just go ahead and support her, closing some holes in my predicted roster.
Dude, did you even look at her thread? 4 movesets it the OP, plus another one on the same page (scroll down to Junahu's 2nd post). As a bonus, her first boss fight. And because three is a lucky number, Divinipedia has an entire section devoted to her abilities.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Now, I just gotta ask cause I'm curious...

If Chrom was in SSB4, and he was unique, how would you feel? Would you be okay with that? Would you prefer someone else?
I would dislike Chrom a lot less if he was at least on par with Wolf, a character with different standard attacks but similar special attacks.

I would hate Chrom if that wasn't the case.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Are you guys expecting another character reveal for this month?
Um... I find it to be plausible, but I don't think it would be set in stone. If there was a new character revealed, I would expect one a the end of next week. But I dunno. I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I can be wowed at a reveal.

Speaking of which, I had the weirdest dream last night. Both Zelda and Sheik were revealed on the site, as was ZSS, Dixie Kong as a partner of Diddy Kong, and the big one, K. Rool as DK's partner, Ice Climber-esque.

Pizzadudemanguy, I remember in my dream watching your dojo update on it. It was just strange. Ugh.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
You know these guys?
:luigi2: :falco::ganondorf:

They used to be clones of other characters too, but each slowly and eventually developed they own fighting style.
Who's to say Roy can't be like that if he were to reappear?

Really, the only one of those newcomers I actually give a damn about is Takamaru, and he also possesses shurikens and an invisible cape, so there's that to consider.
It's a shame with Luigi, but he is "Mr. Nintendo's alternate," and not having him in Smash would be a travesty.

Ganondorf is "the iconic bad guy" of the second largest series, a series with relatively few character options at that. I think we all agree that Ganondorf's clone-set was a huge disappointment and remains one to this day.

Falco is a problem, and this problem only became compounded with Wolf. I have no clue what to do with Star Fox. @_@

Nice info on Takamaru. That makes him even better.

Of course Roy -could- do that, but it's still not good enough. Even though Falco and Wolf have relatively unique moves/strategies, their still conceptual clones that don't "look" different. We don't need even more of that.

Dude, did you even look at her thread? 4 movesets it the OP, plus another one on the same page (scroll down to Junahu's 2nd post). As a bonus, her first boss fight. And because three is a lucky number, Divinipedia has an entire section devoted to her abilities.
Nope, because I'm lazy and was pretty uninterested. In light of this information, I've become a Palutena supporter. :)

So even if they play completely differently, them having the same weapon as another character already added should be of more importance than the factors which got them included in the first place such as overall impact and significance to their series or Nintendo? It's not like Sakurai has ever used the reasoning of "already had a sword/magic/fire/etc. user" to keep another character out.
No, I think it depends. For instance, even though Luigi was a pure clone in Smash 64, he deserved the spot because he's Luigi. On the other side, I think a second Mother character was a huge waste, especially considering that Mother quite simply isn't even close to Mario.

All factors matter, it's how they all work together that matters.

As for Sakurai not using that as a reasoning, I ask if you have any evidentiary basis for this claim, or if it's just said for to justify an argument. It's even somewhat counter-intuitive, considering how many character possibilities Sakurai toys with.

With Sakurai's supposed "4 pillars of virtue," uniqueness and balance both relate to how the character is in relation to other characters, and if we have too many "pretty boy swordsmen," then we have characters that stop being unique, and the "pretty boy swordsmen" niche is terribly unbalanced.

Think back to the forbidden 7. Can you say, on an empirical basis, that when time constraints became obvious, Sakurai didn't say "We don't need Roy because we have Marth, and this new character Pit adds so much more to the game than another pretty boy swordsmen"? Same with Dr. Mario in relation to Mario, and to an extent, Mewtwo in regards to Lucario.

Simultaneously, since Sakurai does think of many character possibilities, it's very intuitive to say that, should he have considered adding Ninten, that he said to himself, "gee, he's an awful lot like Ness, and he doesn't bring anything truly unique that Ness hasn't already brought in. What does he contribute to Smash?"

I'd also like to note that I have a strong feeling you lack a basis to imply that "what niche they would most likely occupy" isn't a beginning factor alongside "who they are to Nintendo/(franchise)." This niche doesn't even have to be unique to Smash, because every character comes alongside a mental schema which gives it traits for existing.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Um... I find it to be plausible, but I don't think it would be set in stone. If there was a new character revealed, I would expect one a the end of next week. But I dunno. I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I can be wowed at a reveal.

Speaking of which, I had the weirdest dream last night. Both Zelda and Sheik were revealed on the site, as was ZSS, Dixie Kong as a partner of Diddy Kong, and the big one, K. Rool as DK's partner, Ice Climber-esque.

Pizzadudemanguy, I remember in my dream watching your dojo update on it. It was just strange. Ugh.

I had a dream too ,It was a fight between Wii Fit Trainer and Shy Guy XD

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The fix with Star Fox is to vary up Falco's specials a little more (Star Wolf side B). He is the angry Luigi.

The fix with Wolf is to replace his specials completely, but the real answer is to replace him with anthropomorphic Andross with metal jet-powered gloves.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I had a dream too ,It was a fight between Wii Fit Trainer and Shy Guy XD
A few months ago I had one where I had the game and playing WFT, and I was terrible with her, like absolutely abysmal. I think it's a sign.

Okay, let's get on track. Does anyone else see a second Pikmin captain happening? They could give Olimar his original 5, and say Alph with the 5 in his game. Just a thought, I don't support it, but I find it slightly possible.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

K. Rool + DK, wut.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No more Pikmin reps. The core of the game is covered with Olimar. I do not think other characters add much.

?????????????

Smash Master
I had a dream that the final roster was just everyone that has been revealed so far, and everyone was outraged by the very small roster. I had to both defend it and express disappointment in a video.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
A starter with above-average stats, fast as well as offensive, decent defensive abilities, and quite possibly the most refreshing starter in a long time. That Fire/Psychic goes a long way. As for Pangoro...I've got one word for it...Sylveon. :p
Uh-oh...my Panda knows Poison Jab! Goodbye Sylveon~

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A few months ago I had one where I had the game and playing WFT, and I was terrible with her, like absolutely abysmal. I think it's a sign.

Okay, let's get on track. Does anyone else see a second Pikmin captain happening? They could give Olimar his original 5, and say Alph with the 5 in his game. Just a thought, I don't support it, but I find it slightly possible.
It's very much possible, but it's not real necessary to have characters who do the same thing only with slight differences. Although his normal attacks could be very different from Olimars.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If I have to rank the remaining sword-based characters left, I'd probably have my list something like this:

1: Saki Amamiya (gunblade, but still)
2: Shulk
3: Takamaru
4: Isaac
5: Fire Emblem char.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It's very much possible, but it's not real necessary to have characters who do the same thing only with slight differences. Although his normal attacks could be very different from Olimars.

I'd rather have Louie using bugs.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Seriously though, wouldn't be that tough to make Roy different.

We could just give him an Axe, I guess, but if he remains a swordsman, then even if his playstyle is radically different, he's still a "pretty boy swordsman prince (moderate speed.) A thing I'll say is that even if you make Ness and Lucas have totally different hit frames, moves, playstyle, pace, strategy, running speed, jumping height, and etc, they're still both "little psychic boys" from the same franchise. No amount of "PK freeze" vs "PK Fire" will change that. It'd be nice if Lucas lost the Bat, and Ness lost some PSI powers, to play on this "Ness uses items, Lucas uses more magic" dichotomy which is their saving grace.

They could be different, but it wouldn't change that they'd still both be "I'm gonna use Pikmin abilities to hurt you." That's a very specific niche, and whether Louie runs fast and drops a yellow w/ bomb on you, or if Olimar just throws one on you that zaps you, their still not too conceptually different, just different executions.
It'd be far better to just give Olimar better moves/more tricks (EX: When Olimar throws a pikmin, if he throws a yellow, it comes with a bomb. :))

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ok here I left a roster that I´m predicting, changes that I should make to it? By the way Takamaru and Diskun are the retro character and the historical character.

.n_n.

iCeKnIgHt

Smash Rookie
Ok here I left a roster that I´m predicting changes that I should make to it? By the way Takamaru and Diskun are the retro character and the historical character.

.n_n.
YES!!! Someone who actually wants mk AND Ridley!!! ... but no ice climbers...:popo: :popo: :popo: never mind found them. You sneaky squirrel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom