• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I AM talking about popularity, he's the second most popular Pokemon of all time.
Stop saying something you CANNOT PROVE.
Your only basis is the IGN poll, which is not an end-all source as a popularity contest.

Is Mewtwo popular? Yes. Quite so.
Is Mewtwo the 2nd most popular Pokémon in existence? No one ****ing knows.

Now if you excuse me, I have to continue my long essay of an argument with Bajef.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People always seem to come in to the thread and ask what's going on when something unbelievably ridiculous is going on.
That's because something unbelievably ridiculous is always going on. :rolleyes:

The future KI games don't need to be made by Sakurai, it could be made from different studios.
Then Hades popularity could rise, people would want him in SSB5.
It's not the best idea to base your roster off a hypothetical that has a fairly decent chance of not happening.

Edit: this thread needs more Prince Sable discussion.
He could work, but he's unlikely and there are better choices out there. No one talks about him because few people care about him, and most know he's not gonna make it in.

I just wanna state now, that I am no longer a troll, and will provide legitimate posts on discussions.
So basically what I'm trying to say is that there is no need to skip over my posts anymore.
Fantastic. Won't stop the cops from pulling you over on occasion, you are a past offender after all. :smirk:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
The future KI games don't need be made by Sakurai, it could be made from different studios.
Then Hades popularity could rise, people would want him in SSB5

Hypothetical situations are infinite. Sakurai has no intention in doing anymore KI, and there's no evidence [as far as I know] that anyone else wants to do more KI. There's almost no incentive for more than 2 Kid Icarus characters, and tbh I think getting a second is being quite hopeful.

--

The obvious choice is Palutena, but I really have to ask: What would Palutena even do as a character?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So you guys don't want more KI games? Seriously?
I absolutely LOVED Kid Icarus Uprising. Like I adore the game.
It's not that I don't want it, it's that I don't THINK they will make another, unless Nintendo decides to without Sakurai, who had the idea in the first place.
So I would love another game, but I don't know.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Stop saying something you CANNOT PROVE.
Your only basis is the IGN poll, which is not an end-all source as a popularity contest.

Is Mewtwo popular? Yes. Quite so.
Is Mewtwo the 2nd most popular Pokémon in existence? No one ****ing knows.

Now if you excuse me, I have to continue my long essay of an argument with Bajef.
Fine then, he's the second most popular pokemon IN AMERICA, and 7th in Japan...better?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Start a gameplay discussion, ya hack.
I did, I was talking about how Lip would play. Something about a combo based system that would create benefits in some sort of fashion from preforming successful strings of attacks, to reflect the nature of the Panel de Pon games. Also being able to manipulate plants and flowers, along with general magical powers. Maybe have attacks based on the magical girl archetype.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course, people ignore gameplay discussions.

I question if you people even play Super Smash Bros. As in, actually play it.
This place isn't for gameplay discussions anyway.

The obvious choice is Palutena, but I really have to ask: What would Palutena even do as a character?
The stuff she did in her boss battle? Use centurions? Have original moves made up like many of the characters?
Moveset potential really isn't a problem for her.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't really consider Super Paper Mario a spin-off from the rest of the games. At least it kept the leveling system up.

I'm probably going to try to come up with Paper Mario moveset soon.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hypothetical situations are infinite. Sakurai has no intention in doing anymore KI, and there's no evidence [as far as I know] that anyone else wants to do more KI. There's almost no incentive for more than 2 Kid Icarus characters, and tbh I think getting a second is being quite hopeful.

--

Probably the reason why I rarely do a SSB5 roster, hypothetical stuations are infinite. The only hypothetical here is Hades though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Fine then, he's the second most popular pokemon IN AMERICA, and 7th in Japan...better?
Not really since the IGN poll is not the best source for popularity considering the flaws in the system. Mewtwo is definitely popular, but we can't say for certain where his position among the Pokémon lands.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I did, I was talking about how Lip would play. Something about a combo based system that would create benefits in some sort of fashion from preforming successful strings of attacks, to reflect the nature of the Panel de Pon games. Also being able to manipulate plants and flowers, along with general magical powers. Maybe have attacks based on the magical girl archetype.
That's what you mean by gameplay discussion, well I already designed everything for my predictions. :p

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So you guys don't want more KI games? Seriously? I do expect a future for the series.
KI Uprising is one of the best 3ds titles to date. Right up there with Fire Emblem and Pokemon X and Y. I think Sakurai reedy abolished it as a series and it is now a series that spiritually belongs to Sakurai. In the Smash Bros. E3 trailer it even considered KI as a main Nintedo series, beating Yoshi, which shows Sakurai cares for KI, and doesn't want to see it fade away.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not really, the follow-up was announced earlier to Brawl than Brawl was to Melee, and keeping with the one-per-generation tradition, this one was also announced the year before the system even came out.
Well clearly Smash wasn't much of a priority, because if it was, development for it would have begun about 2 years sooner to be a Wii U release period title (like Pikmin 3).
Yeah, and look at all the companies (including Sega) that don't seem to want to be bought out atm.
Every company has a price. Just look at Nokia, or Cellular, or Anheuser Busch.
That's true, I'm just guessing Capcom will be dumb like usual. :p
Does that mean that you are going to setup a inside job mafia for Capcom as well=??? :grin:
Nothing, but that's assuming both Microsoft sees no value in it and another company does, both of which we have no proof on. Just because they aren't doing anything with it now doesn't mean they wouldn't necessarily want to hold on to it.
Like I said, if they don't see any value for it and someone is willing to buy it, the IP could be sold.

Like I said, everything has a price, even if it is not for sale.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Not really since the IGN poll is not the best source for popularity considering the flaws in the system. Mewtwo is definitely popular, but we can't say for certain where his position among the Pokémon lands.
Well we North Americans suffer from the problem of not doing things like this that often, so until we decide to actually get up off our butts and do something, it's all I got. Japan's is legit though.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There is something in statistics known as a "Voluntary Response Bias", which is a fancy way of saying that polls conducted asking for viewer response are usually the least reliable because those that respond are usually a vocal and emotionally invested minority, not indicative of a random sample. In this case, those that responded to the IGN poll are part of a marginal subset that do not adequately represent the population, or even those that visit the website. Couple that with the fact that participants were allowed to vote multiple times in 1-to-1 match ups that were shuffled around, and you have a recipe for extraordinarily unreliable results when you start spreading them beyond the scope of IGN. While I don't doubt Mewtwo is popular, there is truly no way to gauge how much because you'd automatically have to assume most of the people you'd select for a random sample even know or care about the Pokémon series.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well we North Americans suffer from the problem of not doing things like this that often, so until we decide to actually get up off our butts and do something, it's all I got. Japan's is legit though.
Just because it's the only thing we got doesn't mean it's a reliable measure for how exactly popular one is. Remember, the system was already flawed as Starphoenix has highlighted and it also had a glitch that affected how much one Pokémon could show up so it easily could be more varied in where some Pokémon positions are.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm just going to throw this out there because it is really beginning to bug me: but can we please stop throwing around contrived notions of "popularity" as a basis for who is and is not likely? I would have thought by now this community would stop resorting to such arbitrary barometers. If we wanted to talk about the ability of a character to resonate with the general public, well that would be an interesting discussion in light of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, but trying to return to "well he/she isn't that popular" is just... So 2012.
So long as the distinctions can be drawn between characters who have legitimately massive backings (the Mega Mans, the Mewtwos, etc.) and the rest who may have a few scattered fans, popularity is a reasonable way to evaluate likelihood, because it's so clearly taking into consideration with much of the roster, with very few, specifically-chosen exceptions.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm just going to throw this out there because it is really beginning to bug me: but can we please stop throwing around contrived notions of "popularity" as a basis for who is and is not likely? I would have thought by now this community would stop resorting to such arbitrary barometers. If we wanted to talk about the ability of a character to resonate with the general public, well that would be an interesting discussion in light of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, but trying to return to "well he/she isn't that popular" is just... So 2012.
Actually the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer are terrible examples, because they are from very popular series, and thus have some of that popularity rub off on them. Granted, it's popularity outside of the smash fan base in regards to smash, but it is popularity nonetheless.

Still, like I always say, popularity and importance gets you considered, but uniqueness and gameplay-related stuff gets you playable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Then why the hell do we want these characters anyway? You can't rely on having a pretty face, you need substance and justifications.
I'm sorry, do all the other threads, including character specific threads and gameplay threads not exist? I mean, this thread is rarely on topic anyway, I'm just saying this isn't the place for gameplay, there are other places for that. I don't really care, making a big deal every time this thread goes off topic would be madness inducing, and gameplay is at least Smash-related, but that's a pretty big jump from me just saying this isn't the purpose of the thread, which was all I was saying.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I didn't play the game, but I think a block special strategy to control space could fit the game.

B: In a flurry of flower petals, Lip creates a block that remains on the ground or falls to the ground and then lights up.

Toward B: Lip thrusts her glowing wand in front of her or turns around and thrusts. If there is a block, it flies in that direction until it goes off the screen.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm just throwing this out there before I leave, people must remember that Sakurai can't build characters souly off of combos and tricks, a lot of not very competitive gamers (like me for example) will be buying the game. An for a lot of people, that's one character gone to waste.
To this day I can't play as Jigglypuff or Ice Climbers because I don't know how to work all their tricks and I get killed instantly.

Also, Smash is a game for Nintendos greatest Stars (and one obscure character) and I don't think that Lip, or Wonder Red, count as All Stars.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Again, popularity is at least a phase for consideration, other factors come in like balance and diversity to see if the character can fit in and preform well. In cases, the latter will override the former if it means introducing something new, which is why we have gotten a fair amount of unorthodox choices like Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Just because it's the only thing we got doesn't mean it's a reliable measure for how exactly popular one is. Remember, the system was already flawed as Starphoenix has highlighted and it also had a glitch that affected how much one Pokémon could show up so it easily could be more varied in where some Pokémon positions are.
Well then I'll just go by the Japanese poll then...Arceus is the most popular, Darkrai is second, Deoxys is third, Pikachu is fourth, Meowth is fifth, Eevee is sixth, Mewtwo is seventh, and Lucario is around #27 or #32...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Of course, people ignore gameplay discussions.

I question if you people even play Super Smash Bros. As in, actually play it.
Welcome to my world.

I've put in a few thousand hours into each smash game, and I'm stuck often debating with people who sound like they don't even know what smash is.

I honestly think sometimes I'm right, because people don't seem to understand what works and what doesn't work in regards to moveset, and where unique playstyles, skillsets, and movesets come from or function like. All of those factors play huge roles in what the final roster will actually be.
I'm sorry, do all the other threads, including character specific threads and gameplay threads not exist? I mean, this thread is rarely on topic anyway, I'm just saying this isn't the place for gameplay, there are other places for that. I don't really care, making a big deal every time this thread goes off topic would be madness inducing, and gameplay is at least Smash-related, but that's a pretty big jump from me just saying this isn't the purpose of the thread, which was all I was saying.
Basically gameplay should only be talked about if you can link it to character selection. :p

(like what I just did in the previous part of my post) :shades:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally I would pick either K. Rool or Ridley on the SSB4. Having two of them in the SSB4 roster, and we ran out of the most notably popular characters requested for SSB5. The hype would slightly go down.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

My roster prediction; don't think I can make it any better.

For those who care, my wishlist:

Pokemon Explanation/Idea:

I think the best way to represent the Pokemon franchise is to have two trainers with three pokemon from older and newer generations. So I thought the best/most fitting of each were Totodile, Grovyle, Charizard and Chespin, Dewott, Infernape. Also, I think the costumes of each trainer should show female/male costumes of all trainers from their generations. So the "Old" Trainer gets male+female costumes from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and the "New" Trainer gets male+female costumes from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl to Pokemon X/Y.

Either that, or one trainer with 6 Pokemon that can be picked in 3s to whatever liking but obeying the "1st evo -> 2nd evo -> 3rd evo rule. This character would have all the male and female costumes from all the games.
Where'd you get that sweet Mewtwo icon?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Again, popularity is at least a phase for consideration, other factors come in like balance and diversity to see if the character can fit in and preform well. In cases, the latter will override the former if it means introducing something new, which is why we have gotten a fair amount of unorthodox choices like Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer.
To be fair, both characters are popularity outside of smash (well Game & Watch in past tense at least). Both franchises have sold over 40 million copies.

Which is funny, because we all overlooked the Wii Fit Trainer despite her being the main character of the best-selling Nintendo franchise made in the post-Brawl era (well, technically it started before Brawl was released in Japan, but only by a few weeks).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There's also that most popular characters tend to be unique enough already...it's one of the reasons they have fans to begin with. Then, when Sakurai wants to seek out the one or two characters no one cares about, he has the freedom to choose them solely on the basis of uniqueness so they mesh with the already-unique popular characters on the roster. It's the part of his criteria where the character has to 'mesh' with the others around them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just feels like there might be a lot of overlap with Zelda.
That's a bit of "too many sword wielders" logic.

Well clearly Smash wasn't much of a priority, because if it was, development for it would have begun about 2 years sooner to be a Wii U release period title (like Pikmin 3).
Development of it began almost immediately after Uprising development finished, that was Nintendo's priority first, to support the 3DS before supporting the Wii U. It's not like they allowed Sakurai much of a break between titles or anything.

And Pikmin 3 started development as a Wii title, that's partially why it was intended to be ready at launch. Same with W101. And Game & Wario used already established minigames designed to showcase the Wii U, similar to how NSMBU used an already established team and resources, as well as the relative ease of developing NSMB games. Nintendo Land was the only one developed for the Wii U first and foremost with little overlap from elsewhere, but once again, it was just a collection of minigames.

Every company has a price. Just look at Nokia, or Cellular, or Anheuser Busch.
Right, but it's a price Nintendo doesn't even seem interested in paying atm.

Does that mean that you are going to setup a inside job mafia for Capcom as well=??? :grin:
Considering they're about as dumb as the last town, perhaps I will. :smirk:

Like I said, if they don't see any value for it and someone is willing to buy it, the IP could be sold.
Like I said, everything has a price, even if it is not for sale.
Yeah, but generic truths aren't really enough to provide evidence for your fairly unsubstantiated claims. Sure it could happen, obviously, but there's little indication it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom