• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That won't stop Nintendo from putting out a product they know is going to sell, if the team really doesn't want to work on it again, or Nintendo thinks another studio would be a better fit, they'll just shift development, they won't hold off on making a product they know is going to sell. Look at Smash, by that logic they would've stopped production of Smash games for a longer period than usual.
Yeah, but Nintendo let the fan base "cool off" between Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS.

That is why unless we're getting a February 2014 release of either/both games (hint: we won't), the time period between the release of Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS would be greater than the time period between Melee's and Brawl's releases.
No, but why would Sega look for a buyer otherwise?
Why would SEGA's current investors=??? A quick and hefty payday of course. That's the same reason Nokia's phone division was sold to Microsoft.
Unless Capcom went bankrupt it would still have to come down to them willing to sell off their IPs. For all we know, those fools will cling to all of them until their ship totally sinks.
We don't know what they'll do if they face inevitable doom. That's what makes inevitable doom so interesting. :p
I don't disagree it's going to be a terrible potential game, but I don't think that means they're eager to sell him off or another studio is eager to buy him. It could happen, sure, but right now there's little proof it's in the cards.
Well if Microsoft sees no value in it and another company does, tell me, what would prevent them from selling the Conker IP rights=???

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No way is this true, not when there are still plenty of characters that could come from that series. You may not like the those options, but anyone saying the series is complete is copping out, plain and simple.
IMO Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. are the only interesting choice (not counting DK/Wario/Yoshi characters such as Kamek and K. Rool), along with a totally redone Dr. Mario... a retro pick in Wart... and... well... and Geno and Mallow (but those won't happen).

I think Paper Mario clearly sticks out as the most interesting, but I don't want anything from Sticker Star, and I feel if he were playable, he would inevitably have Sticker Star moves, so therefore, I don't want Paper Mario at all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not that guy, but this is what it's looking like at the moment, a lot of the available choices are pretty weak. The only way that can be changed is if there is a new character that becomes such a strong ensemble darkhorse (Like say Wario or Meta Knight amounts) will it actually make progress, until then don't expect much.
I expect after being planned to have five characters and the series only expanding, by the fifth game in the series it's a fairly safe assumption that at least one of the three will increase to five characters, even with the "weak choices" the series have to offer, which clearly haven't stopped Sakurai from attempting to include them in the past.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
When will you understand that popular and importance are not the same thing? This misconception is the major flaw in this statement of yours. Lucario was more popular than Mewtwo during Brawl.

And I have played Gen 3, 5, and own Pokemon X by the way. You need to stop going around declaring people aren't familiar with things.
I AM talking about popularity, he's the second most popular Pokemon of all time, I never even MENTIONED importance. Lucario has NEVER been more popular than Mewtwo, probably never will either. And you clearly aren't familiar with things if you think his eleven years of undying popularity can be matched by a blue kangaroo/Anubis in less than two years time. Seriously, you really know nothing about popularity. End of story, I know you have a hard-on for Lucario, but give it up already, Mewtwo is both more popular AND important, always has been.

Seriously, enough, stop dragging this on, this is Demise all over again.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Some people think Mario is complete.
Just because it's complete shouldn't mean anything. What SHOULD have a say is if the series got another character (didn't say rep, hahaha) and it was overrepped, which Mario would not, as it got 5 in Melee and was planned to in Brawl.

Now, giving Star Fox another, on the other hand... it would be overepped, hence why it shouldn't get another.

Heck, Zelda and Pokémon were even planned to have 5. It honestly wouldn't be overreping them either.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I only liked those last few posts because Mr. Krabs.

Anyway, here's a reaction question- (not saying I find him likely, he isn't likely at all) What if this character from a certain Paper Mario game got in?

I forgot how much I supported him when I was like 9

Super Paper Mario wasn't an RPG, but it sure had the story of one

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I expect after being planned to have five characters and the series only expanding, by the fifth game in the series it's a fairly safe assumption that at least one of the three will increase to five characters, even with the "weak choices" the series have to offer, which clearly haven't stopped Sakurai from attempting to include them in the past.
Same exact logic was used during pre-Brawl, and look what happened. Mario lost a character with no substitute to compensate, Pokemon lost two characters (Mewtwo especially), and the only thing The Legend of Zelda got was a bunch of **** tier versions of the characters and one that is basically a mere reskin replacement for another.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Screw making more Mario character "slots," lets' add at least one Donkey Kong "slot" (K. Rool) and one Metroid "slot" (Ridley).

Heck, by extension, Mario is a Donkey Kong series franchise (or vice versa), so K. Rool could be the Mario universe character crazy "muh represuntatun is muh Gud" freaks want so bad.

I remember when people said this pre-Brawl after Peach was confirmed... :laugh:

...That's when the Geno thing REALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY exploded.

Boy would you HATE, HATE, HATE to be a mod if that happened again. :troll: :grin: :shades:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I AM talking about popularity, he's the second most popular Pokemon of all time, I never even MENTIONED importance. Lucario has NEVER been more popular than Mewtwo, probably never will either. And you clearly aren't familiar with things if you think his eleven years of undying popularity can be matched by a blue kangaroo/Anubis in less than two years time. Seriously, you really know nothing about popularity. End of story, I know you have a hard-on for Lucario, but give it up already, Mewtwo is both more popular AND important, always has been.
No. When Brawl came out there was a movie about Lucario, and a new game that he advertised. What was Mewtwo currently doing? None of those. Again, popularity is not the same thing as importance.

Importance is who contributed the most to a franchise and had a significant role

Popularity would be who's the hottest Pokemon at the time, who is talked about most, and getting all the fame in advertising. During Brawl this was Lucario. NOT Mewtwo. You are trying to tell me that during Brawl, Diamond/Pearl, and the Lucarios Movie, MEWTWO was the one everyone was hyped and talking about!?

I don't know if you have it out for Lucario or what (you have shown some bias today). But, to say there was never a moment that Lucario was at a higher point of popularity than Mewtwo when he had a movie and appearance in Brawl shows that you don't know much.

During Brawl, Lucario was more popular than Mewtwo and I've already proved that. Not as much before or after, but during Brawl he was more popular.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yoshi does seem like a fifth character in the Mario series.

Wario has moves from Warioware and Warioland which, I think, are not as related to the Mushroom Kingdom. Yet, he is the darkhorse Mario. His name is Wario, he had overalls, and a mustache.

So, I would say the Mario Universe is almost complete. I think Toad would really solidify the Mario cast while Paper Mario offers more in mechanics and creativity. (And with partners he also adds in Mushroom Kingdom staple creatures to the cast).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Mario series doesn't truly need any more newcomers. That doesn't necessarily mean it is complete. There are indeed other choices that could that are popular and have potential, but none of them can compare to the four Mario characters we have now. The only one that comes close is Paper Mario, though I would expect him to be counted as seperate from the "Mario" franchise and be counted as a "Paper Mario" franchise character instead.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Stop fighting girls, you're both pretty....

...but MexM is the prettiest! :troll:

Also, Mewtwo and Lucario are both gonna be in the game due to fan demand and how much incredible potential as playable characters they have, so why are we even fighting over this=???

Seriously, I don't see us fighting for something equally as stupid as say King Dedede vs. Meta Knight. :laugh:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Especially annoying when people go after The Legend of Zelda and shoot for every single one shot character possible and think they have a chance. Skull Kid, Zant, Midna, Ghirahim, have at you. Tingle is the only plausible choice, and even then it's probably not the strongest choice when compared to other choices overall.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
though I would expect him to be counted as seperate from the "Mario" franchise and be counted as a "Paper Mario" franchise character instead.
This makes no sense in the slightest. He's Mario! The name of the game is Mario! Half the stuff in it is Mario! You can't say the same for any of the other franchises. If Dr. Mario who had little to no connection to the Mario series at all was a Mario character, why wouldn't a Paper version of Mario be a Mario character?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If we are really going to begin talking about series that are complete, I can rattle off a couple well before we hit Mario.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Toad could "complete" the Mario cast, indeed. But again he isn't necessary.

Paper Mario could bring a lot more into Smash than any other Mario newcomer if you ask me, except for possibly Geno. Honestly, I think Paper Mario is the next character in line when it comes to characters like Ridley, Palutena, K. Rool, and Little Mac when it comes to newcomers, though he does not come THAT close to them in term of popularity, but he still have high potential. Does anyone know how popular of a choice Paper Mario is?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This makes no sense in the slightest. He's Mario! The name of the game is Mario! Half the stuff in it is Mario! You can't say the same for any of the other franchises. If Dr. Mario who had little to no connection to the Mario series at all was a Mario character, why wouldn't a Paper version of Mario be a Mario character?
Toon Link is part of the Toon Zelda franchise, so obviously Paper Mario would be part of his own franchise. :troll:
Edit: For the record, I considered Paper Mario as a rep for his own series a few months back.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just add Paper Mario for godsakes. It's his time.
I'd be saying this too, but after seeing Stupid Star crap on everything I love about Paper Mario after Super Paper Mario was just a spin-off basically, the series has basically been dead for 9 years since the release of The Thousand Year Door back in 2004.
Especially annoying when people go after The Legend of Zelda and shoot for every single one shot character possible and think they have a chance. Skull Kid, Zant, Midna, Ghirahim, have at you. Tingle is the only plausible choice, and even then it's probably not the strongest choice when compared to other choices overall.
Seriously, we got a bunch of one hit wonders, Vatti (a 3 hit wonder whom no one remembers, despite Minish Cap being the best Zelda game since the Wind Waker) and Tingle (whom is dreaded by much of the Zelda fan base, and sans remakes, hasn't been in a Zelda game in almost a decade).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I could try remove Hades for Lucario, but I really think Hades could be a future KI villain that becomes so popular.
Still iffy about the adding Toon Zelda and Toad, as they aren't really necessary. That would go over the 60 character meter (Not including transformations)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I would say something stupid about Paper Mario (like Pooper Mario or something) but I see mods in the list of people viewing the thread.
It's like a cop car on the side of a road

image.jpg

That's N3ON right there.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What makes people think Paper Mario would be it's own franchise? Should Bowser Jr be a sunshine rep? It clearly had less to do with Mario than the Paper Mario franchise.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
No. When Brawl came out there was a movie about Lucario, and a new game that he advertised. What was Mewtwo currently doing? None of those. Again, popularity is not the same thing as importance.

Importance is who contributed the most to a franchise and had a significant role

Popularity would be who's the hottest Pokemon at the time, who is talked about most, and getting all the fame in advertising. During Brawl this was Lucario. NOT Mewtwo.

I don't know if you have it out for Lucario or what (you have shown some bias today). But, to say there was never a moment that Lucario was at a higher point of popularity than Mewtwo when he had a movie and appearance in Brawl shows that you don't know much.

During Brawl, Lucario was more popular than Mewtwo and I've already proved that. Not as much before or after, but during Brawl he was more popular.
You basically have things backwards, you're confusing popularity for importance. Lucario had a movie and a new game...that's importance...not popularity. So, until you know what the hell you're talking about...don't reply to me. Mewtwo is more popular...he is more important...and you can keep sucking that "He was in brawl over Mewtwo" **** all you want, but that doesn't change anything, especially when people said it was the biggest mistake the game had made. And I don't know much? I know alot more than you boy, I know enough to actually call things by their proper names. And no, Mewtwo has always had more popularity, and as I said, always will. Anyways, that was then, this is now, and Lucario is now insignificant. No stop wasting my time, Mewtwo is more important, more popular, and even at the time when Lucario had his movie, Mewtwo was STILL more popular. You can think you win because you have more energy to put into this dumbass argument, I don't care, but this conversation is over. Now shut the **** up.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'd be saying this too, but after seeing Stupid Star crap on everything I love about Paper Mario after Super Paper Mario was just a spin-off basically, the series has basically been dead for 9 years since the release of The Thousand Year Door back in 2004.
You see, dissing Sticker Star is something I'm used to (even though I actually enjoyed it), but Super Paper Mario had an incredible story that could easily rival (and probably top) that of TTYD. It's one of my favorite games, and all those TTYD fanboys should stop putting it down.
Not that I consider you one, you seem really cool, it just ticks me off.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There is a considerable difference, Paper Mario could easily bring much more into Smash than Dr. Mario did.

Read the top post on this page.

http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-discussion-thread.336018/page-1035

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Seriously, we got a bunch of one hit wonders, Vatti (a 3 hit wonder whom no one remembers, despite Minish Cap being the best Zelda game since the Wind Waker) and Tingle (whom is dreaded by much of the Zelda fan base, and sans remakes, hasn't been in a Zelda game in almost a decade).
No one remembers Vaati, well I guess we never met. Hello good sir, I am ScatmansWorld25 :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, but Nintendo let the fan base "cool off" between Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS.
Not really, the follow-up was announced earlier to Brawl than Brawl was to Melee, and keeping with the one-per-generation tradition, this one was also announced the year before the system even came out.

That is why unless we're getting a February 2014 release of either/both games (hint: we won't), the time period between the release of Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS would be greater than the time period between Melee's and Brawl's releases.
It won't be for lack of trying though, I'm sure Nintendo would release the game as soon as they could, especially with the Wii U situation.

Why would SEGA's current investors=??? A quick and hefty payday of course. That's the same reason Nokia's phone division was sold to Microsoft.
Yeah, and look at all the companies (including Sega) that don't seem to want to be bought out atm.

We don't know what they'll do if they face inevitable doom. That's what makes inevitable doom so interesting. :p
That's true, I'm just guessing Capcom will be dumb like usual. :p

Well if Microsoft sees no value in it and another company does, tell me, what would prevent them from selling the Conker IP rights=???
Nothing, but that's assuming both Microsoft sees no value in it and another company does, both of which we have no proof on. Just because they aren't doing anything with it now doesn't mean they wouldn't necessarily want to hold on to it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind if Toon Link and Doctor Mario had their own symbol. And I feel that way about Paper Mario, but he will probably have a Mushroom and I will not care.

But I do prefer Paper Mario as a character, while I feel Toad will make the cast complete. I would choose Paper Mario if I was the deciding vote.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You see, dissing Sticker Star is something I'm used to (even though I actually enjoyed it), but Super Paper Mario had an incredible story that could easily rival (and probably top) that of TTYD. It's one of my favorite games, and all those TTYD fanboys should stop putting it down.
Not that I consider you one, you seem really cool, it just ticks me off.
Oh my god!
I thought I was the only one left who ha Super Paper Mario as one of their favorite games!
There are others?!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You basically have things backwards, you're confusing popularity for importance.
No, you are. I've been saying that this whole time! You literally proceeded to do so in the rest of that reply. Lucario's game and movie made him important AND more so popular. Now shut you're ****ing face if you actually, honest to god misinterpreted that I'M the one confusing popularity for importance and try harder next time. :facepalm:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I thought I already went over the reasons as to why they used Lucario...a recognizable pokemon that, while not Mewtwo, is still popular and known amongst alot of players. I mean seriously, if this was the after-game that this happened, do people really doubt that they would have used Mewtwo in place of Lucario? It was an alternative, the next best choice, they didn't deliberately pick Lucario over Mewtwo, they picked Lucario over Mewtwo because they had no choice.
How do you know they had no choice? If they wanted, Mewtwo would've been in the Tower over Lucario, they just wouldn't have given it to you before after-game. Really, I don't get this logic, you can't say "Yeah, A happened, but B could've happened so it doesn't matter." The fact of the matter is Lucario is more important to XY's in-game storyline regardless, that's not arguable. You can say all you like that "it's the best next choice" or "they had no choice" or whatever, but ignoring that it's completely hypothetical it's also disregarding what the character did achieve.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Same exact logic was used during pre-Brawl, and look what happened. Mario lost a character with no substitute to compensate, Pokemon lost two characters (Mewtwo especially), and the only thing The Legend of Zelda got was a bunch of **** tier versions of the characters and one that is basically a mere reskin replacement for another.
It's not the exact same logic, in Melee for all we know no additional Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon characters were planned. Hell, we got an additional Mario, Pokemon and two additional Zelda reps than originally planned. Pre-Brawl people assumed we would get more reps because we got more from 64 to Melee. Now it's the assumption (at least on my part) we'll eventually get at least one more slot in at least one of the three biggest series because Sakurai planned so previously, which is much different. Just because Sakurai wasn't able to include all the characters he wanted last time doesn't eclipse all the times he's later added an addition planned in a previous game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I could try remove Hades for Lucario, but I really think Hades could be a future KI villain that becomes so popular.
Like how Lucario could become a future Pokemon that becomes popular? Medusa is the only viable choice after Palutena. She is the most important and she kicked Hades's ass at the end so she'd come back before him.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Tingle was in WWHD and had a new feature dedicate to him
He had a cameo in SS
And had a character based off him in TP

And Skyward Sword is better than Minish Cap
Though TP, PH, and ST aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom