• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmm.. interesting, but how are they third parties? O-o
Seems HAL still owns the rights to their IPs created before they were liquidated by Nintendo. Otherwise their games would've been in the Chronicle and would be listed as owned by Nintendo instead of HAL themselves on the VC.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Hey guys i got really bored so made a sort of strange all retro roster , what you guys think ?
You should add as DLC these characters:

Wanda - Mario and Wario

Protagonist - Tantei Club

F-Type - Stunt Race FX

Nester - Nintendo Power

Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de...

Colonel Scott O'Connor - Kabuki Quantum Fighter

.n_n.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
yes it's actually a small city... in Arkansas JK
JK? I'm not familiar with that state.

Also guize, what's this talk about people being mean to people? People have the right to be mean to people, but the 'victims' (I can hardly call them that) are only doing it to themselves by letting it bother them.

And I don't want any characters related to anything remotely anime, so that means no Lololo and Lalala or Lolo and Lala or whatever, because they're associated or whatever, er something. Yeah, that's my excuse.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, guess who's back from a five day Pokemon X and Y Hiatus? Anyways, I've missed alot by the looks of it, and I hope everyone's doing alright today. So, what have I missed in the past five days since I'm not planning on going through almost 100 pages.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
You should add as DLC these characters:

Wanda - Mario and Wario

Protagonist - Tantei Club

F-Type - Stunt Race FX

Nester - Nintendo Power

Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de...

Colonel Scott O'Connor - Kabuki Quantum Fighter

.n_n.
I can't find icons for them ... but if you want .. maybe you and i and some others could turn this in to a project or some thing ? :D

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
JK? I'm not familiar with that state.

Also guize, what's this talk about people being mean to people? People have the right to be mean to people, but the 'victims' (I can hardly call them that) are only doing it to themselves by letting it bother them.
This statement makes me think you don't care about how other people feel. That's the message i'm getting.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
He included "Classic" Mega Man because of all of the different characters that use the name "Mega Man", he's the character people requested.
Not X, not Volnutt, not .exe, but the one who is simply "Mega Man". As in, the one who started it all.

With Pac-Man, there's only one "Pac-Man", regardless of design. (Unless one justifiably counts Ghostly Adventures' "Pacster" as a separate Pac due to being from a separate continuity)

And it's not like the classic design for Mega Man was left in the past, either. I mean since Brawl, we had Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10, a comic series (that made a huge crossover with Sonic's comics), the (cancelled) Mega Man Universe, etc.
Nor is Pac-Man's "3D" appearance just a newer one. Pac-Man always had limbs even back when he was known as "Puck Man" in Japan. The reason he doesn't have them in-game? Hardware limitations.

And no ties to Nintendo?
Let's see:

The following games have been on Nintendo systems:
-Pac-Man (First 3rd Party title for a Nintendo system)
-Ms. Pac-Man
-Super Pac-Man
-Pac-Land
-Pac-Mania
-Pac-Attack
-Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
-Pac-In-Time
-Pac-Man World (Game Boy Advance)
-Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness
-Pac-Man Fever
-Pac-Man World 2
-Pac-Man Vs. (Designed by Shigeru Miyamoto with Mario himself as the game's announcer)
-Pac-Pix
-Pac-Man Pinball Advance
-Pac 'n Roll
-Pac-Man World 3
-Pac-Man World Rally
-Pac-Man Party
-Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
-Pac-Man Arrangement (part of Pac-Man Collection for GBA)
-Pac-Man Championship Edition (part of Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions for 3DS)
-Pac-Man Tilt (exclusive game in Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions)
-Pac & Pal (part of Pac-Man Museum)
-Pac-Man Battle Royale (part of Pac-Man Museum)
As well as various rereleases and compilations (some mentioned above) that have been on Nintendo systems.

And then we have the three Mario Kart Arcade GP games. Not to mention that Pac-Man is credited as Shigeru Miyamoto's favorite video game character rather than his own creation, Mario.

So...if Pac-Man "has no ties to Nintendo"....what does that make Snake?

"Only" reason?
So, Namco being the ones that made those three games had nothing to do with it? It had everything to do with the arcade being "Pac-Man's home" despite Pac-Man being frequent on consoles? :rolleyes:
Can't determine a legitimate counterpoint is garbage when the point in question is garbage in itself, you know.

Tales has less ties to Nintendo than Pac-Man, yet you want to claim a character from it is more "likely"? It'd be funny if this wasn't such clear Tales fanboyism....
Oh joy. Guess now I have to exit ignorant moron mode and make valid arguments since you decided to get on my case again Golden. Let's begin.

My point was completely...well, pointless. I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that Pac-Man is iconic, but he is not massively popular anymore. Look at Sonic and Mega Man. They are iconic AS WELL AS popular right now. People practically got on both knees and begged for Mega Man, and especially Sonic to be in Smash. There are interesting characters who have massive fan appeal and iconic status.

Look at Pac. He's iconic but that's it. People weren't saying, "Pac should be in, he's awesome!" "Pac-Man is such a cool character, I hope he makes it!" Not the case at all. People saw Namco developing Smash, thus they go, "Well I guess Pac-Man makes sense. He's iconic so sure." Iconic status or recognizability =/= popularity by any means. Pac is a recognized and iconic gaming figure no doubt, but popular now? Not at all. People aren't clamoring for a new Pac-Man game. The masses don't line up to get new Pac games or even pay attention to when they come out. The general populous just knows who he is. That's it. I think Pac definitely deserves a stage, AT appearance, or something along those line, but not an actual playable.

Well now you might say, "Well Bajef, look at Mr. G&W, R.O.B. or 'X character'. They made it in." My answer is simple; those are Nintendo character, important to Nintendo's history. Not some 3rd party character, but actual Ninty history. Pac is Namco/Midway history. Important to gaming history itself yes, but not important enough to Nintendo. Smash is a Nintendo All Stars game, featuring 2 big names (and still relevant and popular characters at that) that are still on Ninty consoles. Pac-Man is neither a popular character anymore, nor is he really relevant to gaming anymore. Epic piece of history, thus deserving of some sort of recognition in Smash, but not a playable.

Also, to note, it's pointless to argue Snake since he's an exception that breaks normal rules for establishing a 3rd party in Smash. It's like arguing in science but basing your thesis on the anomaly rather than the norms.

To Mario Kart GP, it's extremely obvious that Namco put Pac and the ghosts in because they developed those games AND they were arcade games. Seems kinda forced to add him just because you worked on the game IMO. But that's purely opinion.

Also, once again you proclaim to know something about me, yet the very opposite is true. Referring to your Tales fanboyism statement, I've never played a Tales game in my life. Fanboy? Far from it, I can tell you that. I just know that Lloyd is the most prominent figure from those games, IE one of Namco's recent (and by recent I mean successful outside of the 80s) titles that does very well. All Namco is known for in the 90s up to present, when it comes to franchises, are the Tales, Tekken, and Soul series. Thus why I say Lloyd makes the best sense for a Namco character, because Sakurai said he didn't wanna add characters form fighting games to Smash AKA Tekken and Soul.

Pac's ties with Nintendo have been dwindling since the Cube days, and those days were pathetic as they were just a bunch of nonsense games released across all the then-current consoles. Pac is dying as a game franchise, however, he will always be a recognized gaming icon and figure. That's why I see him as being an awkward or forced addition, if he happens to make it in. If Pac-Man had been a 1st party character, Nintendo's own history, then I'd completely 180 and say he should be in. That's not the case though.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This statement makes me think you don't care about how other people feel. That's the message i'm getting.
wat
The JK thing was a joke. :c

I'm sorry, but I do care, and I'm sorry you find that hard to believe, but I really don't know how else to show you that I'm being sincere.
It is best if people are not so consumed with things beyond their control, and it is an extremely good thing to have self control. The fruition of self control is being able to disregard the things beyond control.
Also, it is very relevant commentary on what rights are and are not. If one professes that there is an ultimate standard and that there are inalienable rights which cannot be taken away by the state, then it's only natural to think that saying whatever one pleases is such a right, and so too is it the right of every other person to ignore them. To discourage the evil, by threat of social disapproval, to speak their minds is to give them support and cooperate with them in that grand evil, would you deny me that?

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
wat
The JK thing was a joke. :c

I'm sorry, but I do care, and I'm sorry you find that hard to believe, but I really don't know how else to show you that I'm being sincere.
It is best if people are not so consumed with things beyond their control, and it is an extremely good thing to have self control. The fruition of self control is being able to disregard the things beyond control.
Also, it is very relevant commentary on what rights are and are not. If one professes that there is an ultimate standard and that there are inalienable rights which cannot be taken away by the state, then it's only natural to think that saying whatever one pleases is such a right, and so too is it the right of every other person to ignore them. To discourage the evil, by threat of social disapproval, to speak their minds is to give them support and cooperate with them in that grand evil, would you deny me that?
Are you saying that one person can say whatever that will hurt the other person is rightful and that no justice can be served for any kind of bullying, including cyber bullying?:(

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
1. Pacman is one of the most iconic video game characters in the world and made it in the Guiness Book of Records for being the number one arcade game.

2. He has a new game coming out.

3. Namco is helping make Smash.

4. He has been in a Nintendo Cross-Over before: An arcade Mariokart

I think there is quite a bit going for him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Thank god we're done talking about character reveals!!!!!!!!!!!

So what's the topic? Pac-Man? Eh, doesn't look like there's room for him. 4 Third-Parties is too much and Snake getting cut for HIM is just laughable beyond belief.

Reason #2 is insignificant and Reason #3 is invalid completely.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Are you saying that one person can say whatever that will hurt the other person is rightful and that no justice can be served for any kind of bullying, including cyber bullying?:(
Not at all, sir, I am saying that one person can say whatever they want, but the hurt the other person endures is of their own making, and it is unjust, most unfortunately so, but it rests on the person who hurt themselves to have justice be done.
I don't want to write a sob story, because I don't feel sorry for myself per se, but I was a 'victim' of bullying, and after I realized I control my own reactions to those bullies, things got ten times better for me and those around me.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, it's pretty much the only IP keeping Capcom afloat. Or at least one of the main ones. But Nintendo and Sony both have some pretty deep pockets, should they both be interested it could be quite the bidding war. However Nintendo never really seems overly interested in gaining more IPs, so if Sony was truly determined, my guess is it'd go to them. Though it would finally give more people reason to get a Vita (at least in Japan) so I could see Nintendo wanting to prevent that from happening.

I'm selfish though, so as they as they got Mega Man MH would come secondary to me. :p

Yeah, I'd imagine that at the very least Nintendo would put up a good fight for it as that IP is way too profitable to pass up and letting Sony get it would be very troublesome for them. Plus, it'd be a great system seller for them.

And agreed there, though ideally I'd want both franchises to be bought by Nintendo along with Ghost n' Goblins and Breath of Fire.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Actually you do not have any idea if those reasons are insignificant or invalid.

Snake got in because he was Sakurai's friend and begged for him to be in.

The Villager was deemed not to fit in the Smash verse as a fighter for Brawl, but then changed his mind for the next game.

Sakurai is hard to predict. His working relationship with Namco, plus Namco having an iconic character that has been in a Mario game before really could matter.

While in the grand schemes of things, I admit reason two would only be icing and not as terribly relevant it would at least supply moveset fodder.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
1. Pacman is one of the most iconic video game characters in the world and made it in the Guiness Book of Records for being the number one arcade game.

4. He has been in a Nintendo Cross-Over before: An arcade Mariokart

I think there is quite a bit going for him.
1. You didn't even read my argument on popularity =/= iconic
2. Doesn't matter in the slightest, I doubt you're actually buying it
3. Invalid, if by that logic you deem Pac as having a chance, then that opens the gates to any Namco character as well
4. Uhmm...he was in an arcade game, developed by Namco, that had 5+ Pac characters in the game. Not a cameo. A Namco-made-this-so-we-should-dump-as-many-Pac-characters-as-we-can-into-the-game because why not. It was weird. And it wasn't even console related.

Actually you do not have any idea if those reasons are insignificant or invalid.

The Villager was deemed not to fit in the Smash verse as a fighter for Brawl, but then changed his mind for the next game.

Sakurai is hard to predict. His working relationship with Namco, plus Namco having an iconic character that has been in a Mario game before really could matter.

While in the grand schemes of things, I admit reason two would only be icing and not as terribly relevant it would at least supply moveset fodder.
Also once again, you didn't read my argument. Snake is an invalid point to argue because he was a special case, an anomaly. You don't base arguments on the abnormal.

Villager point is worthless, we're discussing a 3rd party, 1st party characters don't follow the same rules.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Namco is not Sakurai's "friend" and not only did Sakurai officially announce he won't give their characters special treatment, but Snake is clearly more unique, appealing, and a better marketing strategy.

I don't see what the relevance. Unless you are implying Sakurai would change his mind on a statement he made like less than 4 months ago.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
and after I realized I control my own reactions to those bullies, things got ten times better for me and those around me.
okay you may have learned to control your reactions to mean words bullies may have said to you, but that's not to say the same for people who are new to bullying and don't know how to deal with it. But enough about bullying this is the roster prediction thread, not the pool room.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder what the Ghosts (Pac-Man detractors) would do if Pac-Man actually gets in SSB4 as a playable character? Would they turn blue and flee from the Pac-Men (Pac-Man supporters)? Would they lose their eyeballs when they cannot believe their eyes that Pac-Man is in Smash?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
In the event that there is any opening for a Konami character, it will be Bomberman. Sakurai would have to be utterly stupid to not make this incredibly obvious decision.
Like I said before, the chances of getting Bomberman are as high as that of getting Simon. Basically, they'd have to flip a coin to determinate who's more worthy. Hell, if they're still undecisive after that, they'd go "Screw it! Let's just put both of them!" (Not that it'll happen, though)

I myself want either. Bomberman 'cause of nostalgia and Simon because utter awesomeness.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai did say Namco would not be given special treatment.

However, there is a benefit of having Namco work for him that might actually sway him for picking Pacman. Sakurai mentioned all the legal and creative hurdles of getting a third party character.

Namco working side by side with him basically evaporates these concerns. So even though Sakurai did say that Namco would not be given special treatment, the practicality is that Namco has an iconic character and does not come with all the obstacles other IP's might carry.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I wonder what the Ghosts (Pac-Man detractors) would do if Pac-Man actually gets in SSB4 as a playable character? Would they turn blue and flee from the Pac-Men (Pac-Man supporters)? Would they lose their eyeballs when they cannot believe their eyes that Pac-Man is in Smash?
We don't think he doesn't have a chance derp. We think he shouldn't be in. Of course he may make it. It would just be stupid.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Sakurai did say Namco would not be given special treatment.

However, there is a benefit of having Namco work for him that might actually sway him for picking Pacman. Sakurai mentioned all the legal and creative hurdles of getting a third party character.

Namco working side by side with him basically evaporates these concerns. So even though Sakurai did say that Namco would not be given special treatment, the practicality is that Namco has an iconic character and does not come with all the obstacles other IP's might carry.
Snake and Sonic aren't obstacles because they've already been in a previous Smash. The hurdles have already been jumped over. Pac is a different story. The fact that Namco is working on the game means nothing with regards to licensing. Do you even know what those hurdles are? You can't argue something when you have no clue how it works IMO.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Snake and Sonic aren't obstacles because they've already been in a previous Smash. The hurdles have already been jumped over. Pac is a different story. The fact that Namco is working on the game means nothing with regards to licensing. Do you even know what those hurdles are? You can't argue something when you have no clue how it works IMO.
Since you know oh-so-much about these hurdles, can you enlighten us on what these hurdles are? Tell us more about these hurdles, oh wise Bajef8.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I bet Namco working on the game does have an impact on licensing.

We just seem to disagree.
So you don't. There is no opinion, it's fact.
Since you know oh-so-much about these hurdles, can you enlighten us on what these hurdles are? Tell us more about these hurdles, oh wise Bajef8.
Nice tone. But sure why not.

The licensing and legal ramifications are simple. Sega/Capcom/and in this case Namco if Pac is in, oversee the designs of their property being implemented in the game. Sakurai develops the game with their characters and has to double check with the execs at Sega and Capcom to make sure Sonic and Mega Man respectively are being implemented in a way that those 3rd party companies see fit. They oversee the look, feel, actions, and everything about their property. They make sure Sonic is Sonic, and Mega Man is Mega Man. Those are the hurdles. Getting the initial okay to work on them is as simple as yes or no. The hard part if making sure that 3rd party Property, IE 3rd party characters, are being represented faithfully and to the 3rd party company's liking. That's the pain in the ***, the hurdles when using a 3rd party property. You constantly have to double check every step of that property's development with the higher ups of those respective 3rd party companies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well... since Namco is developing SSB4, I think they would personally oversee the look, feel, actions and everything about Pac-Man instead of running off to double check with Sega and Capcom for Sonic and Mega Man. Looks like Pac-Man can butt bounce over those hurdles. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom