• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not really. The only one that gets brought up is the "he just punches things," which isn't really valid, thought it doesn't get brought very often.

Really I think Little Mac is probably one of the safer characters, which is exactly why he doesn't get brought up very often. He doesn't really have much in the way of competition, except for possibly other misc/retro characters.

I think the only REAL counterargument was when Sakurai stated his stance on Fighting (game) characters. But one has to be sorta biased against Little Mac (aka, not knowing how his game works) for them to think Little Mac would fall under this category.

If you ask me... Little Mac should have been playable since the original Super Smash Bros, sporting 4 games under his franchise.
If he's not in THIS time... Then I'm really going to have to start wondering if this is a game about Nintendo ALL STARS. XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's not complete Nintendo All Stars without Balloon Fighter and Duck Hunt Dog.

Indeed.... I'm still hoping for either of them playable as well.
(Though to be fair... Duck Hunt Dog hasn't seen the light of day since 1985... But they should at least remember how his game was bundled with the videogame that started it all, so a LOT of people know who he is. )

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If you ask me... Little Mac should have been playable since the original Super Smash Bros, sporting 4 games under his franchise.
I actually kinda see why he hasn't been playable. Sure, he'd had 4 games, but 2 of them were arcade(and basically the same IIRC), and if I'm remembering correctly, Super Punch-Out(SNES) wasn't that popular. Also, he'd missed both the Gameboy and the N64, and I don't think there were any plans to continue the series at the time. And the N64 was a few years before the interest in "retro" games started up.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Indeed.... I'm still hoping for either of them playable as well.
(Though to be fair... Duck Hunt Dog hasn't seen the light of day since 1985... But they should at least remember how his game was bundled with the videogame that started it all, so a LOT of people know who he is. )
I know Duck Hunt Dog because Duck Hunt was my most frustrating game I ever played. I shoot. I miss. I can't hit the ducks. I hold the thing right in front of the game and I still miss. Then the Dog starts laughing in my face.

D

Deleted member

Everyone knows the dog for one reason and one reason only.

.....that damned mocking laughter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai has already set the release date as an ambiguous 2014, so he can delay the game all the way to December 2014 if he wants to (it most likely will be released in November 2014 though). Smash 4 is going to be the big holiday title for the Wii U and 3DS.

However, its possible that the 3DS version could end up being delayed so as to avoid it cannibalizing the sales of the Wii U version (and sales of Wii U's).

D

Deleted member

I am rather tired, so that made me think of the 3DS game eating the Wii U game. :laugh:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I really like the pokemon Emolga...Emolga for Smash 4! XD
If Emolga were to be in smash 4 the first thing to worry about would be emolga's weight, since it's light in weight, the developers would have to give it a great moveset to cover it's weakness. unfortunately I can't think of a moveset that could be defensive.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If Emolga were to be in smash 4 the first thing to worry about would be emolga's weight, since it's light in weight, the developers would have to give it a great moveset to cover it's weakness. unfortunately I can't think of a moveset that could be defensive.

But it can be like Pikachu,but lightier and faster in the air,also it can glide.
Soon...

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Gliding for a double jump action, if it were to be like Pikachu, the moveset of Pikachu would have to be replaced with a moveset that includes acrobatics.

The Emolga idea was only a joke,but:
Possible moveset:
B:Electro-Ball
Side B:Agility
Down B:Light screen
Up B:Acrobatics
Or something like that XD

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Chances are, Sakurai is already aware of this. I mean, why would anyone choose a release date if they feel it's probably become incomplete by then?

I'm telling you guys, that Sakurai dude is a lying *******.
Sakurai's probably gonna delay this game a year after the expected release date, just like he did with Brawl. In fact, I think he'll delay it more, because this time around it is two games, not one, and he wants to make both of them unique at the same time.

Sakurai is fine with delays, just like Nintendo, because like the main culture at Nintendo, he wants the most complete game possible.

Still, I could be wrong, and he could release them maybe a tad early and just use (free) DLC to fix everything right on up.

As long as we get as much content as possible, either way is fine by me.

courte

Smash Lord
about a million pages ago, someone made a post implying that if pokemon could have hundreds of characters performing so many tms, it's ridiculous by comparison to think that a smash game would be capped at 45-50 characters.

that post was burning in a pit inside of my soul for a while, so i thought id' purge. animations for attacks in pokemon games are for the most part purely cosmetic. there's no difference in the function today as there was almost 20 years ago. that stats attributes and properties are what makes the battle, never mind each ones individual growth can go any direction at any time based on trainer involvement. whether fennekin is really ten feet or ten inches away doesn't matter in these battle because they design it that way. it simply doesn't factor because it's not allowed to. however large rosters in fighters are BAD.

it's a genre where playtesters have to search for glitches bugs and collision detections just like any other genre, but on top of that, strive to make sure there is balance as best as possible, yes this even applies to the legendary unbalanced, nonfighter smash series. the games could always have been alot less balanced then they standright now

today's picture was toon link's reaction to day wii fit trainer ass

maybe we can streamline character speculation to yay or nay, considering every single one of them is important to nintendo's history[diskun, little mac, that stupid mario party **** toad] or super relevant to nintendo[shulk... really people shulk? i just want you to know that's what we call She-Hulk. he can't live up to that]
maybe we can get an all realistic character version of smash so takemaru, mach rider and little mac can be included hands down without debate

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I've been recently thinking a couple things regarding what we haven't seen yet.

Yoshi. Why hasn't he been shown yet? He's a major Nintendo character, and one who has been a starter in every Smash game. I'm thinking he may be getting a noticeable move set overhaul. Why else wouldn't we have seen him yet? They don't need to save him just to try and promote Yarn Yoshi or whatever, that's like saving Mario and releasing him to promote a Mario game. Or do I dare say, it's like saving a Pokemon reveal for X/Y. Yoshi is a character who is very well-known. So the only conclusion I can come up with is that he's being overhauled still.

2nd thing, Final Smashes. We've seen only Wii Fit Trainer's and Samus' Final Smashes. I'm thinking they are putting a huge overhaul into these. We have yet to see more than 2, therefore I'm thinking they are really working hard to balance these and make sure people will get pretty reliable KOs from them. Based on the 2 we've seen, I think it's safe to assume that Final Smashes will now be pretty hard to dodge when used correctly, and they will probably nail you a guaranteed 2+ KOs.

Just some random thoughts.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Yoshi. Why hasn't he been shown yet? He's a major Nintendo character, and one who has been a starter in every Smash game. I'm thinking he may be getting a noticeable move set overhaul. Why else wouldn't we have seen him yet? They don't need to save him just to try and promote Yarn Yoshi or whatever, that's like saving Mario and releasing him to promote a Mario game. Or do I dare say, it's like saving a Pokemon reveal for X/Y. Yoshi is a character who is very well-known. So the only conclusion I can come up with is that he's being overhauled still.

Be

Because next year is the Year of Yoshi, so he might be revealed next year because of that.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562

2nd thing, Final Smashes. We've seen only Wii Fit Trainer's and Samus' Final Smashes. I'm thinking they are putting a huge overhaul into these. We have yet to see more than 2, therefore I'm thinking they are really working hard to balance these and make sure people will get pretty reliable KOs from them. Based on the 2 we've seen, I think it's safe to assume that Final Smashes will now be pretty hard to dodge when used correctly, and they will probably nail you a guaranteed 2+ KOs.

But when the game is finally finished, the question is, how many ppl will consider it to be an online competitive game and not just offline competitive, to not say that's its just for fun and not seriousness.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562

But when the game is finally finished, the question is, how many ppl will consider it to be an online competitive game and not just offline competitive, to not say that's its just for fun and not seriousness.

Okay how did this happen?

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

i honesty believe we'll get a mixture of both.
i mean isn't that is what sakurai and his team are going for, right?

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Okay, I'm really confused as to why this was a response to what I said. Also how can a game not be both online competitive and offline competitive? Brawl wasn't online competitive because Nintendo has no idea what they are doing with online, the lag, servers, etc..., are what botched the online. There's no question of if it won't be both. The question is, "Has Nintendo learned how to utilize online, and will they catch up to today's standards and give us a regular online experience?"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Yoshi. Why hasn't he been shown yet?
Next year is probably The Year of Yoshi. That is why.
2nd thing, Final Smashes.
They're probably gonna start revealing about one every 2 or 3 weeks sometime in the next couple of months.
Uhmm source? That's purely speculation. And that wouldn't mean the delay of Yoshi by more than 7 months when he should've been revealed from the start.
The same person who leaked that DKC: Tropical Freeze would get delayed to 2014 leaked that a long time ago.

I think given all the Yoshi titles we'll likely get, it makes a lot of sense.

Plus, it's Yoshi! We'll get him eventually. I mean, we got the rest of the Original 7 (plus Luigi), so of course Yoshi will come back, possibly with more changes than the rest of the Original 8/12.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Next year is probably The Year of Yoshi. That is why.

They're probably gonna start revealing about one every 2 or 3 weeks sometime in the next couple of months.

The same person who leaked that DKC: Tropical Freeze would get delayed to 2014 leaked that a long time ago.

I think given all the Yoshi titles we'll likely get, it makes a lot of sense.

Plus, it's Yoshi! We'll get him eventually. I mean, we got the rest of the Original 7 (plus Luigi), so of course Yoshi will come back, possibly with more changes than the rest of the Original 8/12.
See Year of Yoshi is a leak, we shouldn't be basing speculation on that. But everyone's missing the point. I'm saying I think he's been put off so long cuz he's getting a nice overhaul in his moves. Same goes for Final Smashes.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm near positive Yoshi has been at least partially revamped. He is the only one of the original 12 that ISN'T a hidden character that we've yet to see.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Okay, I'm really confused as to why this was a response to what I said. Also how can a game not be both online competitive and offline competitive? Brawl wasn't online competitive because Nintendo has no idea what they are doing with online, the lag, servers, etc..., are what botched the online. There's no question of if it won't be both. The question is, "Has Nintendo learned how to utilize online, and will they catch up to today's standards and give us a regular online experience?"
Had to leave, now, my response wasn't regarded toward brawl but more toward the progression of SSB4 and how people would respond during the first few months that they play it online upon release. When you said about the part with final smashes getting overhauled, my response was about people's reaction to online competitive play upon release( both our responses are subjects in progression of the game being finished), people's decisions on a game impact the reputation of that game, sure expectations are high. Also yes configuring online features is also crucial. ( I feel like i'm just typing whatever now)

Espio264

Smash Ace

I've been feeling the same way about Yoshi. There's no reason to keep him from us this long unless there's something new to him that their excited/ hesitant to show us. That being said, he's randomly come out and said things about characters that have been revealed in certain updates (by the way, Luigi paddle jumps now) or outright tells us of differences in the reveal (Peach is subject to change), and there are things that we are curious about with revealed characters that have not been addressed (Does Mario still have FLUDD? Does Luigi possibly have the Poltergust?). Either way, to keep Yoshi this long, there's something noticeably different with him, or else there would have been no reason not to lump him in with the other Big 8 characters who haven't changed much (Link, Pikachu, DK).

On Final Smashes. You're absolutely right. The Wii Fit Trainer's move seems to have a big range. And when I was watching the reveal/Villager video recently, it looked almost like one of the characters at the top of the screen when Samus' FS was going off was almost sucked into the beam, having no choice when trying to avoid it. (I could be wrong about this though). Hopefully they're updating a lot of them. Mario's FS was kinda lame. It may have been effective is some cases, but it was an exaggerated form of one of his moves that didn't wow anybody (like Samus's). There were only a handful of FS's that I thought were really cool and appropriate to the legacy/series representation of the character. Then there's also the "If Palutena's a newcomer" argument that might cause them to change Pit's FS. They already updated his move set, why not update his FS? If they're not making them more worthwhile this time, what's the real point in even bringing them back? Only the thought of a Mega Mewtwo FS excites me for this game.

Because next year is the Year of Yoshi, so he might be revealed next year because of that.
Is this really a thing?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
See Year of Yoshi is a leak, we shouldn't be basing speculation on that. But everyone's missing the point. I'm saying I think he's been put off so long cuz he's getting a nice overhaul in his moves. Same goes for Final Smashes.
Yoshi's probably gotten a bit of an overhaul, but I don't his final smash is a part of that.

It's probably more how his shield functions, a few aesthetic changes, how his grab functions, and ultimately how all of his offense strings together.

Oh, and then there's the whole jump issue. That's the only real noticeable problem with Yoshi.

Other than that, I think Yoshi has a very well made/designed and fun skillset and playstyle (that needs minimal changes).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Sakurai has already set the release date as an ambiguous 2014, so he can delay the game all the way to December 2014 if he wants to (it most likely will be released in November 2014 though). Smash 4 is going to be the big holiday title for the Wii U and 3DS.

However, its possible that the 3DS version could end up being delayed so as to avoid it cannibalizing the sales of the Wii U version (and sales of Wii U's).
Probably this. I can see the 3DS version getting delayed, and I can see the Wii U version getting delayed but still being in the year of 2014.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I honestly think these two forthcoming smash games games won't be released on the same date, but rather, about 2-4 months apart.

I think in the next few months he will "tip his hand" on which game is closer to being finished/released earlier (if this is indeed the case).

I used to think the 3DS Smash would be released first, then the Wii U Smash release would be first, and now I'm neutral and confused. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom