• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To be honest, I believe WFT is the risk.
If by "risk" you mean "less than expected," then Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl had several.

Smash 64: Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Fox.

Melee: Pichu, Mr. Game & Watch, The Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Marth, and Roy.

Brawl: Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, The Pokémon Trainer, Lucas, and R.O.B.

Smash for the Wii U/3DS (so far): The Villager, The Wii Fit Trainer.

Gormanbros

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-3869-4592
Well, I guess I wouldn't mind it if Sheik and Ike stayed in over Impa and Chrom, it's just that I feel that the latter characters would better represent their series now

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
INVITITIABLE MUH RECENCY MUH PATTERNS.
I don't understand how a little skinny blue haired boy who uses a one-hand sword with two hands can suddenly replace a powerful and physically ridiculously strong character who uses a two-hand sword with one hand.

That makes no sense.

Add in Zelda transforming into Impa (how the hell did that happen), or the myth and idea that Impa matters to the Zelda franchise (muh ruluvuncy bcuz Sword Skyward only Zeldra grame I ray!!!), and you got a lot of brain cells being killed for nothing.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, I guess I wouldn't mind it if Sheik and Ike stayed in over Impa and Chrom, it's just that I feel that the latter characters would better represent their series now
"Representation" is a lie. Gameplay isn't. The only things character represent is themselves.

Also, literally every Fire Emblem character is in Awakening, including Ike.

As for Impa, no one gives a crap about Impa, like at all.
Why can't it be Zelda+Sheik+Impa all in one roster spot?
Because Zelda and Impa are two entirely different beings.

Sheik is just Zelda with a penis ninja disguise.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't understand how a little skinny blue haired boy who uses a one-hand sword with two hands can suddenly replace a powerful and physically ridiculously strong character who uses a two-hand sword with one hand.
Because **** logic, being recent is everything. Shut up your face is stupid go home Xbone you're drunk.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But John, we need Hawlucha as our luchador rep!
Honestly, a luchador character is better than 95% of the recommendations here.
Bloody dolphin ****ers, here we go...
WELCOME TO MUH RECUNCY NOOBVILLE! HOME OF MUH RECUNCY NOOBS!!!
Because **** logic, being recent is everything. Shut up your face is stupid go home Xbone you're drunk.
Apparently the fact Mega Man is over 25 years old and the Villager is about 15 years old doesn't matter.

If "muh recency" was a thing, we'd have the newest Animal Crossing character, not The Villager.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I will say that Chrom basically stealing Ike's moveset and then getting rid of Ike kind of does poor justice to both characters, you're getting rid of one perfectly fine character and stapling the moves to another one by force with no rhyme or reason. Same thing with Sheik and Impa.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have indeed read about that, Kid Icarus: Uprising was getting publicity from advertisement and such, and people were speculating what would happen in a hypothetical new title for Super Smash Bros. Palutena and Medusa were the ones brought up in particular because those characters seemed to be ideal choices in the scenario of a 2nd Kid Icarus character, but the problems came in when the question of "Palutena OR Medusa" came in. Keep in mind that during that time, trailers only highlighted the first 9 chapters of the game in order to hide the spoiler of Medusa NOT being the final boss and Hades was the one behind everything, so people presumed that Medusa was a lot more important then what actually happened. People more often picked Medusa because they saw her as a stronger option at the time, she was basically the big bad of Kid Icarus after all and since she was going to be fought at some point there were opportunities to see her potential. However, there were people that supported Palutena, though not as much as after the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising because most people thought she was going to be mere exposition fodder.

Basically, the opposite scenario happened when Kid Icarus: Uprising came out. Medusa's support plummeted when it was revealed her role was much more minor then expected, while Plautena increased due to her likable personality and fleshed out capabilities in general.
Basically this, with the addition of people saying that, because Pit and Medusa were shown facing off in that 3D showcase of the AR cards, everyone who did not have Medusa on their roster was a fool who was overlooking how Nintendo was promoting her and how, because of this, she would appeal to a large audience and be added on that basis. Good times.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Representation is not a factor that contributes to character inclusion. Never has been. Characters are included based on the size of their roles in their games in most cases, which is why we get most of the main Mario cast. If Mario was just about representation, we likely wouldn't have Luigi. In the case of Retro characters and characters like WFT, Sakurai selects from a few older games, and enjoys bringing older things back. Some characters, such as Wario and Sonic are added due to being popular request, and popularity is also how Sakurai chooses certain Pokemon characters. Ike having not appeared in games lately is not a good reason to remove him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Also, I will say that Chrom basically stealing Ike's moveset and then getting rid of Ike kind of does poor justice to both characters, you're getting rid of one perfectly fine character and stapling the moves to another one by force with no rhyme or reason. Same thing with Sheik and Impa.
Imagine Hector, Lyn, or Roy stealing Ike's moveset. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Basically this, with the addition of people saying that, because Pit and Medusa were shown facing off in that 3D showcase of the AR cards, everyone who did not have Medusa on their roster was a fool who was overlooking how Nintendo was promoting her and how, because of this, she would appeal to a large audience and be added on that basis. Good times.
Also fyi, even with others saying otherwise, I knew Palutena was going to win out in the end. Basically based around the factor of already having an extensive appearance in Super Smash Bros. and being the franchise's equivalent to Zelda.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Also fyi, even with others saying otherwise, I knew Palutena was going to win out in the end. Basically based around the factor of already having an extensive appearance in Super Smash Bros. and being the franchise's equivalent to Zelda.
The fact that in the Japanese name of KI:U has Palutena in it, that convinces me that Palutena will be added.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Imagine Hector, Lyn, or Roy stealing Ike's moveset. :troll:
It only makes sense in the context of Hector considering both Hector and Ike wield large heavy weapons, albeit not the same type of weapon.

If that actually happened to Lyn though, expect a lot of "POR QUE!?!?" out of my mouth.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This. So much.

I mean, as much as I want Chrom in, I'd hate to see Ike go for him; I'd rather have both in, personally. It wouldn't just be a "hollow victory." I'd go as far as to call it a loss.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, one instance of promotion means diddly squat.

On top of that, Kid Icarus: Uprising isn't that big of a deal. In the recent past, we've had Xenoblade Chronicles be way more favorably reviewed, and SM3L, NEW SMB U, NEW SMB 2, NEW Super Luigi U, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Paper Mario: (Stupid) Sticker Star, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, Wii Fit Plus, Skyward Sword, DKC Returns, etc all be way more relevant.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

On top of that, Kid Icarus: Uprising isn't that big of a deal. In the recent past, we've had Xenoblade Chronicles be way more favorably reviewed, and SM3L, NEW SMB U, NEW SMB 2, NEW Super Luigi U, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Paper Mario: (Stupid) Sticker Star, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, Wii Fit Plus, Skyward Sword, DKC Returns, etc all be way more relevant.
KI:U is underrated, it's has the perfect controls for an action game for me.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's a terrible use of a newcomer.

We want NEW NEWCOMERS with new moves, not newcomers replacing old characters.

If we wanted such characters, we'd call them OLDCOMERS!!!!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Ironically, Kid Icarus: Uprising is having more influence then all of those titles at the moment. Pit himself is practically based on his appearance from that game.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
"less than expected,"
Fox.
Marth
Zero Suit Samus
Fox, Marth, and Zero Suit Samus were all typical. Star Fox was big / very successful, Fire Emblem and Japan y'know, and ZSS was the most obvious option for the oh-so-desperately-needed 2nd Metroid rep.

"Representation" is a lie. Gameplay isn't. The only things character represent is themselves.
But what is a character's "self"?

I'd also like to know if you have any evidentiary basis for saying that "representation is a lie," or if you're only making up these absolutes about what characters represent for the sake of having an argument

If "muh recency" was a thing, we'd have the newest Animal Crossing character, not The Villager.
That's now how variables work. A variable mattering doesn't automatically mean that variable is 100% defining. Though not 100% defining, it still holds an impact, and any decent roster predictions try to take into account as many logical variables as they can.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Porky, on the other hand, has a bigger chance than basically any other Mother character.
Why is that? Just because he's a recurring villian? I see the protagonists as a better choice especially when there is only one left. Even if Ninten's hat makes him look like Ness, but at least he has more unique abilities from his counterpart than Chrom does.

Ironically, Kid Icarus: Uprising is having more influence then all of those titles at the moment. Pit himself is practically based on his appearance from that game.
I honestly can't tell the difference between the Brawl version and Uprising version.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I totally felt this way, especially since the franchise is named after her.

The fact people clung onto Medusa was hilarious. The same goes with a bunch of random Uprising characters (Magnus and the Eggplant Wizard) and the Hades support.

Oh, and why the heck is Hades always the Greek villain=??? He's a way less villainous God than Aquaman Poseidon and Zeus.

Seriously, Zeus ***** a woman as a cloud. AS. A. CLOUD. That's as villainous as they come.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Chrom has the potential to be his own unique character, but in no way would I want Chrom to replace Ike. At all.

On a side note, i'm thinking of starting a video series with my own commentary on various subjects pertaining to Smash Bros. However, I have no idea what to start with and I'm looking for input. If you guys have any good ideas, I'd love some input!

Some things I was considering:
Veterans/Cuts
Newcomers
Newcomers per series (basically a video for each franchise)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seeing characters like him and Bowser getting redone gives me hope for Ganondorf and other characters with bland movesets.
Well, I wouldn't exactly place bets on anything, after that reveal we've gotten veterans that are more or less the same like last time. Not counting subtle gameplay buffs or nerfs.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well its' got one stage (so does NEW SMB 2) and Pit. That's it.

Also, what was Pit gonna be based off of, Darth Maul again=??? :laugh:
Well, aside from having moves that comes from the game and an subtly updated appearance.
And the fact several of his special moves were changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom