• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I seriously doubt fan demand for Chrom is that high let alone higher than Ike or Roy.
Exactly. Ike is possibly the most popular newcomer other than Sonic, and he's one of the most unique.

Roy also has the Melee hype, because of Melee being the best game ever... and the awesome moveset Roy and Marth share (albeit Roy got the short end of the stick there).

Seriously, next to no one wants Chrom over Ike, and most smash fans would rather have Roy back than Chrom as a newcomer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I seriously doubt fan demand for Chrom is that high let alone higher than Ike or maybe even Roy.
According to various polls, including Shortie's, that spanned multiple sites, he's definitely in the Top 10 characters as far as demand goes here in the West, although he's still two or three notches below Roy on those polls. But both Roy and Chrom make up the Top 10 wanted characters for SSB4 here.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ike is the most popular newcomer other than Sonic?
Eh??
I'm pretty sure there were much more hyped newcomers like Wario and Pit than the short FE fanbase (Outside of Japan) before Awakening happened.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Wait we're talking about IKE vs Chrom now? At a point I saw Ike as a perfectly viable candidate for being cut but I guess too many people think that's blasphemy so I don't bother bringing it up (I honestly don't expect cuts any way) But frankly at this point, Fire Emblem Awakening has plenty of merits to deserve a character inclusion and some of you guys are simply biased if you think recency is the only good reason (call me a patternist but it's not like that's the main reason every other new FE rep got in sans Marth >.>)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ike is the most popular newcomer other than Sonic?
Eh??
I'm pretty sure there were much more hyped newcomers like Wario and Pit than the short FE fanbase (Outside of Japan) before Awakening happened.
I'm talking after the release of Brawl. Ike is probably the most played newcomer other than Sonic and Meta Knight (I keep forgetting Meta Knight exists because of me wanting to block out Brawl from my mind).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think Chrom has the potential to be his own unique character, but in no way would I want Chrom to replace Ike. At all.

On a side note, i'm thinking of starting a video series with my own commentary on various subjects pertaining to Smash Bros. However, I have no idea what to start with and I'm looking for input. If you guys have any good ideas, I'd love some input!

Some things I was considering:
Veterans/Cuts
Newcomers
Newcomers per series (basically a video for each franchise)
Obscure Nintendo characters, it would be nice if you discussed characters other than the ones from popular series to other people.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So...any ideas guys?
Screw everyone who says relevancy or recency as their primary reason to add/replace a character.

You think people would have evolved past this point, but they aren't.

I mean seriously, Mario is over 32 years old, and yet, he's still Nintendo's mascot. "Recency" doesn't mean jack squat in the way people talk.

This is like the morons saying cut Sheik, add Tingle, cut Falco, add Krystal, cut Ice Climbers, add Mach Rider, etc.

SPOILER ALERT: IT WON'T HAPPEN THAT WAY!!!!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't like Ike's moveset wise, IMO.
That's because Brawl made it look bad, just like how Brawl made everything looked Bad.

Brawl was too slow and projectile camping friendly to help make Ike look good.

Because various mods like Balanced Brawl, Brawl +, Brawl -, Project M, etc helped make offense better, specifically close range offense, it showed off Ike's merits, and really showed that he can have some bang for his buck.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Alright, feedback time!

This is my personal belief on what the roster will look like. I might've posted it a few pages back, but it's here for a new reason:

I'm looking for feedback. Who'd you remove or add?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I'm talking after the release of Brawl. Ike is probably the most played newcomer other than Sonic and Meta Knight (I keep forgetting Meta Knight exists because of me wanting to block out Brawl from my mind).
So basically in simple terms, the way I see it is like this: Ike getting cut would probably be one of the worst received potential cuts...

But...

It's...

Still...

Possible...

But frankly, Marth and Ike and no new reps is more likely then Chrom replacing Ike. Ike may only be relevant right now due to popularity/vet status (tell me otherwise ************ I dare you :p) at this point but that's more then likely going to be enough.

OK did I sugarcoat that enough to not get flamed? =P

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So basically in simple terms, the way I see it is like this: Ike getting cut would probably be one of the worst received potential cuts...

But...

It's...

Still...

Possible...

But frankly, Marth and Ike and no new reps is more likely then Chrom replacing Ike. Ike may only be relevant right now due to popularity/vet status (tell me otherwise mother****er I dare you :p) at this point but that's more then likely going to be enough.

OK did I sugarcoat that enough to not get flamed? =P
I have no idea what you just said, because it made no grammatical sense.

Plus, I mentally checked out because you said the word "reps" and Sakurai and Namco Bandai don't give a crap about that, and neither should you or anybody.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You want to something gone for broke? HAVE SOMETHING GONE FOR BROKE!

Nah, but really, here's my actual roster:

BY THE WAY, 500TH POST, SUCKAS!
If you want me to judge your roster, put it in my roster judging thread in my sig
Won't get to it for a few days though

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I have no idea what you just said, because it made no grammatical sense.

Plus, I mentally checked out because you said the word "reps" and Sakurai and Namco Bandai don't give a crap about that, and neither should you or anybody.

Would it make you feel better if I said "characters" it basically means the same thing in this context.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Alright, feedback time!

This is my personal belief on what the roster will look like. I might've posted it a few pages back, but it's here for a new reason:

I would right off the bat get rid of Geno, and maybe Sukapon. Replace Goroh with Takamaru, and I don't see 3 Mother reps happening. I think you have everyone you need there, it just could slim down a bit. May I also suggest adding a different character besides Sukapon, such as Lip or Chibi-Robo?

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
On a side note, i'm thinking of starting a video series with my own commentary on various subjects pertaining to Smash Bros. However, I have no idea what to start with and I'm looking for input. If you guys have any good ideas, I'd love some input!
quote]
Perhaps some videos pertaining towards classical series in need of a rebirth, as BluePikmin11 suggested.

A question would follow as this: If there is any old-school video game series that deserves to be resurrected (ala Kid Icarus) through a Super Smash Brothers 4 appearance, which series would you all desire a revival? This is a question of personal preference, obviously, although you could potentially host a series of videos of various retro-quality characters, such as Mach Rider and Lip.

For example, a video on Takamaru of Nazo no Murasame-jo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ike may only be relevant right now due to popularity/vet status (tell me otherwise mother****er I dare you :p) at this point but that's more then likely going to be enough.
Ike is actually shown to be really important to the Fire Emblem series, especially in Awakening. They actually went out of their way to show that Ike received a descendant in the game, where everyone noted Ike's impressive feats as a hero.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Personly I would replace Sukapon with Tom Nook. The roster is mighty fine though..
The only problem is that Sakurai always adds a retro character (Pit, Ice Climbers) so I think Sukapon (who Sakurai's mentioned during pre-Melee AND pre-Brawl) has a good chance. Tom Nook, although a cool idea, may be too soon to add with the reveal of Villager (of course, Marth & Roy contradict this, so...)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Alright, feedback time!

57 characters is way too many. You won't see that many characters.

As for who to remove, Toad, Geno, Tingle, Porky, and Samurai Goroh are easy to remove.
Samurai Goroh is the only one among them with any real shot at being playable.

Sukapon, Palutena, and Roy could similarly be removed, although they IMO stand a decent shot.

On top of that, I'd probably add in K. Rool over Dixie Kong.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Ike is actually shown to be really important to the Fire Emblem series, especially in Awakening. They actually went out of their way to show that Ike received a descendant in the game, where everyone noted Ike's impressive feats as a hero.
And... If he wasn't a brawl vet that probably wouldn't mean ****.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
A question would follow as this: If there is any old-school video game series that deserves to be resurrected (ala Kid Icarus) through a Super Smash Brothers 4 appearance, which series would you all desire a revival? This is a question of personal preference, obviously, although you could potentially host a series of videos of various retro-quality characters, such as Mach Rider and Lip.
I feel it's a great time to revive For The Frog the Bell Tolls with either a remake, or sequel.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And... If he wasn't a brawl vet that probably wouldn't mean ****.
You're speaking in hypotheticals. You said that Ike is only "relevant" because he's a Brawl vet, and yet Intelligent Systems themselves show Ike to be important. Your statement above is completely irrelevant to that.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
FE: Awakening was released in April 2012 in Japan. We know that Smash 4 was starting development sometime after KI Uprising was done. For Sakurai to even consider Chrom, he most likely would have had to either play it or it be recommended to him by his colleagues a LOT. If the roster was decided on before FE came out, most likely he didnt even have the chance to consider him. However, if we have another Roy with melee situation, it might not matter

Tl;dr Chrom might be too recent :troll:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Roy's demand back in Melee was very low, at least outside of Japan.
I'm talking now. Besides Leif was originally going to be the Marth clone, I'm sure few people even knew about Roy and he only got in because he was more diverse than Leif. *Hint* *Hint*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
FE: Awakening was released in April 2012 in Japan. We know that Smash 4 was starting development sometime after KI Uprising was done. For Sakurai to even consider Chrom, he most likely would have had to either play it or it be recommended to him by his colleagues a LOT. If the roster was decided on before FE came out, most likely he didnt even have the chance to consider him. However, if we have another Roy with melee situation, it might not matter

Tl;dr Chrom might be too recent :troll:
It was advertised a while before that, though. Plus, Sakurai is a big Fire Emblem fan. He's said it himself. I'm pretty sure Intelligent Systems would give him some sort of insider info.

D

Deleted member

Oh, and why the heck is Hades always the Greek villain=??? He's a way less villainous God than Aquaman Poseidon and Zeus.

Seriously, Zeus ***** a woman as a cloud. AS. A. CLOUD. That's as villainous as they come.
Don't you know?
Everybody Hates Hades.
It's so easy to make the ruler of the Underworld the villain, you know?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I would right off the bat get rid of Geno, and maybe Sukapon. Replace Goroh with Takamaru, and I don't see 3 Mother reps happening. I think you have everyone you need there, it just could slim down a bit. May I also suggest adding a different character besides Sukapon, such as Lip or Chibi-Robo?
I've stated how I feel about Sukapon before, but for Geno, he's got pre-Brawl popularity on his side, something Mega Man had too. Porky's in because he'd round out the Mother series well, but I'll give you Lip, who has equal chances as Sukapon.

57 characters is way too many. You won't see that many characters.

As for who to remove, Toad, Geno, Tingle, Porky, and Samurai Goroh are easy to remove.
Samurai Goroh is the only one among them with any real shot at being playable.

Sukapon, Palutena, and Roy could similarly be removed, although they IMO stand a decent shot.

On top of that, I'd probably add in K. Rool over Dixie Kong.

Whoops, forgot transformations. But it's better than my older roster, which had 60 excluding transformations. K. Rool is very popular, and I support him, yet I think Dixie may end up winning this round with her newfangled "recency" and gumball blaster. Tingle's a pretty WTF character (surprise us twice), Goroh's a fantasy, and Toad's still me holding on to the Peach moveset changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom