• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Don't you know?
Everybody Hates Hades.
It's so easy to make the ruler of the Underworld the villain, you know?
What's funny is all he does is harbor the dead and lead them to the world of the dead.

He's not particularly evil.

The problem is in the Judeo-Christian world and theology, down and "the underworld" is seen as evil, in which case Hades thus became the bad guy.

Still, you'd think a Japanese made game wouldn't be so prone to these type of tropes, but alas, they are more inspired by the Big D and Hollywood than actual Greek Mythology.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What's funny is all he does is harbor the dead and lead them to the world of the dead.

The problem is in the Judeo-Christian world and theology, down and "the underworld" is seen as evil, in which case Hades thus became the bad guy.

Still, you'd think a Japanese made game wouldn't be so prone to these type of tropes, but alas, they are more inspired by the Big D and Hollywood than actual Greek Mythology.
The Roster Prediction Discussion Thread, people :smash:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I've stated how I feel about Sukapon before, but for Geno, he's got pre-Brawl popularity on his side, something Mega Man had too.
Well, Geno isn't all that important as a Third Party rep. I know Sakurai can put in whoever he damn well pleases, and can request whoever third party character, but he seems to be very selective for the Third Party slots. I've stated how I feel about third parties before, but I will say it again: they will most likely have to be legendary mascots of gaming. Something the four we've seen (Snake, Sonic, Megaman, and a potential Pac-man) have on their side. Something that Geno does not.

Geno's support has died down considerably. I'm not being harsh enough, it's almost non-existent anymore. He has little to no chance to be in. Popularity doesn't decide the character. Apart from his popularity in one Mario game, he has nothing.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Now I'm imagining Sakurai being addicted to FE:A. :laugh:
He might consider Chrom.
You do realize like every Fire Emblem characters is in the game too, right=???

And that Chrom is kinda stale.
The Roster Prediction Discussion Thread, people :smash:
This has to do with a roster decision, doesn't it=???

I mean, some see Hades as a candidate instead of Zeus because Hades is the "bad guy" in Kid Icarus Uprising and Zeus... well... isn't anything. :facepalm:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
You're speaking in hypotheticals. You said that Ike is only "relevant" because he's a Brawl vet, and yet Intelligent Systems themselves show Ike to be important. Your statement above is completely irrelevant to that.
Good point. Either way it's for those kind of reasons that I don't really see any COMPLETELY NEW fire emblem character that isn't the recent hot ticket as likely.

And for some reason my moot point against Ike is actually a subtle jab at Lyn... OK I'm half asleep right now I shouldn't be debating this stuff.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I mean, some see Hades as a candidate instead of Zeus because Hades is the "bad guy" in Kid Icarus Uprising and Zeus... well... isn't anything. :facepalm:
Yeah, but I kinda see that as irrelevant.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

Robin guys... ROBIN!

And the other characters are you know, completely optional DLC characters. Regardless I don't really see how any one could predict something like that. Even if you think Chrom is stale Sakurai may not see him in the same light, but then again... Do we even know if he played Fire Emblem Awakening? XD Factors that we can't efficiently predict man, factors.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
There was never any indication that Sakurai or Intelligent Systems always suggested Fire Emblem characters for being new. They have only been new by coincidence, but entirley different factors that got them in. Leif was already decided upon until Intelligent Systems decided it was good to review all characters even if they haven't been released. Roy was picked because he had more distinction from Marth than Leif did. Ike we can assume was suggested and decided upon for being the most important and popular character. I'm assuming Roy will be decided upon again for having more distinction than Chrom and because he not only had direct relations to an identical protagonist in the following game after his, but supposedly has a remake of his own game planned meaning even if this remake doesn't get released soon, it shows that Intelligent Systems cares about Roy. This all adds on to the fact that he was a well received Smash character and is more popular than Chrom.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There was never any indication that Sakurai or Intelligent Systems always suggested Fire Emblem characters for being new. They have only been new by coincidence, but entirley different factors that got them in. Leif was already decided upon until Intelligent Systems decided it was good to review all characters even if they haven't been released. Roy was picked because he had more distinction from Marth than Leif did. Ike we can assume was suggested and decided upon for being the most important and popular character. I'm assuming Roy will be decided upon again for having more distinction than Chrom and because he not only had direct relations to an identical protagonist in the following game after his, but supposedly has a remake of his own game planned meaning even if this remake doesn't get released soon, it shows that Intelligent Systems cares about Roy. This all adds on to the fact that he was a well received Smash character and is more popular than Chrom.
Nothing is planned, at the moment. If I remember correctly, it was only talked about.

D

Deleted member

Nah, I'm pretty sure it had plenty to do with the Underworld already being used in a negative light with Medusa.
Then again, KI Hades wasn't that bad. He just got a little gluttonous, which shifted the balance.

At least God of War reflects what Greek Mythology was all about; everyone's a ****. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
At least God of War reflects what Greek Mythology was all about; everyone's a ****. :troll:
Ironic isn't it=???

The most violent and sexual Greek Mythological game is accurate, mostly because that is how Greek and Greek Mythology is.

And alright guys, here's my crazy roster again:

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Too bad people don't realize that "Underworld" doesn't necessarily translate to "Hell".
Well, it could, theoretically.
Then again, there's Tartarus....Huh. I'm rather surprised Tartarus isn't used much as a counterpart to Hell....

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Ironic isn't it=???

The most violent and sexual Greek Mythological game is accurate, mostly because that is how Greek and Greek Mythology is.

And alright guys, here's my crazy roster again:
Cut plusle and minun for omastar :troll:

(side note: guys I had this really weird dream. There was this long and tedious reveal leading up to the new pokemon character and the new character was...

2 riolus working together like Ice Climbers.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
(side note: guys I had this really weird dream. There was this long and tedious reveal leading up to the new pokemon character and the new character was...

2 riolus working together like Ice Climbers.)
Were they wearing Majora's Mask, wearing sports outfits, and being created by a fanfiction made by Corph?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
FE: Awakening was released in April 2012 in Japan. We know that Smash 4 was starting development sometime after KI Uprising was done. For Sakurai to even consider Chrom, he most likely would have had to either play it or it be recommended to him by his colleagues a LOT. If the roster was decided on before FE came out, most likely he didnt even have the chance to consider him. However, if we have another Roy with melee situation, it might not matter

Tl;dr Chrom might be too recent :troll:
Sakurai supposedly wanted to have the "mother 3 character" (lucas) replace Ness in Melee, this was planned before Mother 3 came out, so with franchises that have changing characters, he has shown to think ahead.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Evening Kids!

So I've flown home for the week, and I did some digging in my old folders and found my BEFORE I EVEN KNEW BRAWL WAS A THING ROSTER.

IMG_1493.jpg

Critique this. I dare you. Break my 12 year old, did this all in MS Paint, heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom