• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

just another day on these boards
Alright, better stop before I start a nonstop meme response chain.

You want to something gone for broke? HAVE SOMETHING GONE FOR BROKE!

Nah, but really, here's my actual roster:

BY THE WAY, 500TH POST, SUCKAS!
+ Paper Mario is the best choice for a Mario rep. Best to have a second Mario since there are so many, I don't see another smaller koopa really fitting in.
+Roy is also the best choice. He's much more popular and unique. I'd much rather have a beloved past FE than Mr. Recency.

-Too many new franchises and retro characters. Will never happen. Pick one.
-Ninten is really the only reason we'd get 3 MOTHER reps.
-6 Pokemon is too much and Meowth isn't deserving. Even Pichu is more deserving and Genesect would be a better option.
-If Snake gets replaced for a Konami character it'd be for Bomberman. He has the most affiliation with Nintendo and deserves to be in a Nintendo fighting game. This is a missed oppurtunity.
-Diddy & Dixie as a tag team has been confirmed to not work by Mazaheero Soccer-eye.
-I'd cut Saki, Ray, Sukapon, Meowth, Waluigi, and add characters like Palutena.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You shouldn't be worried to speak up when it's kind of required.

I would like more risks being taken with these rosters, you know what I mean? The majority of them play it too safe, which is drab.
That's why I've had rosters with Paper Mario, Wart, Cranky Kong, Kamek, Pichu, Plusle and Minun, Zoroark (I like how his popularity died almost as swiftly as Victini's, luls!!!), Starman (from NES Pro Wrestling), Sukapon, Isaac, Mach Rider, the Excite Biker, Lip, Rayman, Tails, etc.

Taking risks is a huge part of roster predicting, and makes it more fun. Sometimes you'll look stupid, but ultimately, every blue moon you'll be right.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's why I've had rosters with Paper Mario, Wart, Cranky Kong, Kamek, Pichu, Plusle and Minun, Zoroark (I like how his popularity died almost as swiftly as Victini's, luls!!!), Starman (from NES Pro Wrestling), Sukapon, Isaac, Mach Rider, the Excite Biker, Lip, Rayman, Tails, etc.

Taking risks is a huge part of roster predicting. Sometimes you'll look stupid, but ultimately, every blue moon you'll be right.
Oh man, I remember the Victini vs Zoroark days. Kind of funny, looking back on that now. :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh man, I remember the Victini vs Zoroark days. Kind of funny, looking back on that now. :laugh:
Especially since Victini almost definitely isn't going to be anything but a Pokéball Pokémon, and it just feels like Zoroark isn't the "destined one" all over again.

Personally though, no Pokémon really stands out as the Pokémon I would want to play as in Smash Bros. in Gen 5 or 6.

Well, that is except for Zebstrike, only because of my love of Zebstrika in Pokémon (I just love, love, love his design).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, yeah. Victini was a Smash nominee wasn't he? lol I remember now :laugh:

Speaking of Pokemon and new gen representatives: If you guys don't think we need anymore sword characters, then how about this?:

HE IS A SWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
-Ninten is really the only reason we'd get 3 MOTHER reps. Personally, I think that Porky would be more worthy of the spot due to him being a prominent villain in the series. Besides, having three heroes from the same franchise and no main villain seems weird, unless it's Fire Emblem, since there isn't anyone else that has a mayor significance to the franchise than the Lords themselves.
-6 Pokemon is too much and Meowth isn't deserving. Even Pichu is more deserving and Genesect would be a better option. Pichu wasn't even planned to be on Brawl to begin with, and it wouldn't make that much sense to include him now anyway. And while Genesect is awesome, he's in mostly due to recency. Meowth just seems more iconic.
-If Snake gets replaced for a Konami character it'd be for Bomberman. He has the most affiliation with Nintendo and deserves to be in a Nintendo fighting game. This is a missed oppurtunity. Honestly, it's either him or Simon, as they both have about as much importance to Nintendo as the other. I basically flipped a coin and got Simon.
-Diddy & Dixie as a tag team has been confirmed to not work by Mazaheero Soccer-eye. Source?
-I'd cut Saki, Ray, Sukapon, Meowth, Waluigi, and add characters like Palutena. I feel like Saki, Ray and Meowth have a chance. Waluigi and Sukapon are pretty arguable, though. I'll consider Palutena

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I don't see why we need a new a Poke rep, most people would be fine with the brawl ones plus Mewtwo. Plus there isn't really worthy Gen VI candidates, and Zoroark's time passed.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
At least Ray is a pretty interesting and overlooked character.

I feel if Sakurai hadn't made that one Saki comment that almost no one would mention Saki, and that Ray might get more roster prediction mods.
Oh, yeah. Victini was a Smash nominee wasn't he? lol I remember now :laugh:
Yep, those days were funny. People hated Zoroark so much they went for Victini.

Honestly, I'm trying to find a new-ish Pokémon that would be a worthy addition.

I know there's been a few requests for Tyrantrum, but eh, I'm not feeling any playable character material "vibes" from it.

Pangoro is the only Pokémon from Generation 5 or 6 other than Zoroark that gives off those "vibes" to me, and honestly, they aren't that strong.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
question: even though this is the roster prediction thread is it possible to post our own specific wanted rosters? or is that not allowed?
I think its alright, as long as you state that its a wanted roster. Not for rules, but just to avoid flames :D

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Both were going to bomb, even though the idea of Zoroark does sounds intriguing.
Zoroark at least shows a lot of potential as a playable character, although IMO there are just a bit too many good other choices that out prioritize him. Well, at least in my mind.
Also, obligatory mention of the goddess wars.
I'm not sure if you read it here, but it got pretty bad. I know at GameFAQs (where you used to visit) it had to contain highly cancerous substances, but man, here it was annoying.

That was all anyone talked about for 6 months. I actually left for 3 months because of it, lol. Iblis, Kuma, and shortie did similar things too, lol.

But yeah, some people hated, hated, HATED ME because I said we'd only get Pit back and no other Kid Icarus character. I remember this one time I said this, and this guy who was basically saying that the Pit, Palutena, Medusa, and the mother freaking Eggplant Wizard were all but locks basically cried and lashed out at me, lol.

It was like "dude, I'm keeping it real. Calm down." What was funny is that more people sided with him than me.

I totally let people know they were wrong when that hype train died. Those turn of events made several idiot fanboys leave. Good. Smash Boards is better for it.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
question: even though this is the roster prediction thread is it possible to post our own specific wanted rosters? or is that not allowed?
As long as you specify what sort of roster you are posting (in order to avoid confusion), then it's fine. All sorts of varietal rosters, from realistic to idealistic to joking, have been previously posted, so there should be no concern. Of course, just as long as you clarify what sort of roster you are posting on this thread.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm just saying 3 MOTHER reps is unneeded and that the only reason it'd get one is if Sakurai felt need to implement the last remaining protagonist as a last minute semi-clone.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When did anyone say Zoroark had more potential than Snake=???
Of course people would go for the weaker option... I mean heaven forbid we get something that could be interesting.
Yep. The only reason people didn't want Zoroark is fear of him "replacing" Lucario like how Lucario "replaced" Mewtwo.

That and people just either don't like new(-ish) Pokémon designs, or any Pokémon with a humanoid body type.

The fact some people thought Zoroark could "steal" Lucario's character design (in some people's mind like how Lucario "stole" Mewtwo's character design) was even more pitiful. It's either that these people are drop dead stupid, or they just are willing to make up terrible reasons to say a character won't be playable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sylveon's cool, but I just can't really see it without the other Eeveelutions and Eevee, and if it that was the case I couldn't see it being plausible for 1 character slot to be 9 different characters.
It would be cool if there was an eevee that could change on the fly, kinda like how megaman uses different weapons. but that probably isn't happening.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I have indeed read about that, Kid Icarus: Uprising was getting publicity from advertisement and such, and people were speculating what would happen in a hypothetical new title for Super Smash Bros. Palutena and Medusa were the ones brought up in particular because those characters seemed to be ideal choices in the scenario of a 2nd Kid Icarus character, but the problems came in when the question of "Palutena OR Medusa" came in. Keep in mind that during that time, trailers only highlighted the first 9 chapters of the game in order to hide the spoiler of Medusa NOT being the final boss and Hades was the one behind everything, so people presumed that Medusa was a lot more important then what actually happened. People more often picked Medusa because they saw her as a stronger option at the time, she was basically the big bad of Kid Icarus after all and since she was going to be fought at some point there were opportunities to see her potential. However, there were people that supported Palutena, though not as much as after the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising because most people thought she was going to be mere exposition fodder.

Basically, the opposite scenario happened when Kid Icarus: Uprising came out. Medusa's support plummeted when it was revealed her role was much more minor then expected, while Plautena increased due to her likable personality and fleshed out capabilities in general.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have indeed read about that, Kid Icarus: Uprising was getting publicity from advertisement and such, and people were speculating what would happen in a hypothetical new title for Super Smash Bros. Palutena and Medusa were the ones brought up in particular because those characters seemed to be ideal choices in the scenario of a 2nd Kid Icarus character, but the problems came in when the question of "Palutena OR Medusa" came in. Keep in mind that during that time, trailers only highlighted the first 9 chapters of the game in order to hide the spoiler of Medusa NOT being the final boss and Hades was the one behind everything, so people presumed that Medusa was a lot more important then what actually happened. People more often picked Medusa because they saw her as a stronger option at the time, she was basically the big bad of Kid Icarus after all and since she was going to be fought at some point there were opportunities to see her potential. However, there were people that supported Palutena, though not as much as after the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising because most people thought she was going to be mere exposition fodder.

Basically, the opposite scenario happened when Kid Icarus: Uprising came out. Medusa's support plummeted when it was revealed her role was much more minor then expected, while Plautena increased due to her likable personality and fleshed out capabilities in general.
Hades is a much better choice now.

Gormanbros

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-3869-4592
So, I don't have a way of posting a roster picture at the moment, but I still want to share my wanted roster.

Brawl Roster, two cuts (Sheik and Ike)

Toad
Dixie Kong
Villager
Impa (takes moveset similar to Sheik's)
Bandana Dee
Ridley
Palutena
Chrom (takes moveset similar to Ike's)
Robin
Shulk
Mewtwo
Takamaru
Little Mac
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Mii

This makes for a roster with 53 characters, counting ZSS and the Pokémon Trainer's three Pokémon.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So, I don't have a way of posting a roster picture at the moment, but I still want to share my wanted roster.

Brawl Roster, two cuts (Sheik and Ike)

Toad
Dixie Kong
Villager
Impa (takes moveset similar to Sheik's)
Bandana Dee
Ridley
Palutena
Chrom (takes moveset similar to Ike's)
Robin
Shulk
Mewtwo
Takamaru
Little Mac
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Mii

This makes for a roster with 53 characters, counting ZSS and the Pokémon Trainer's three Pokémon.
Makes me wish Impa was an alt. Sheik costume. But Alt costumes aren't happening (At least in customization).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I understand that it's boring to look at almost the same roster all the time, but looking like every other roster isn't necessarily a bad thing.
It means that the roster being created is a likely one, and since this is the Roster Prediction Thread, we post the rosters we predict, risks or no risks.
To be honest, I believe WFT is the risk.
So just saying, having a similar roster to everyone else is not a bad thing. Putting random characters for the sake of being risky is.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I understand that it's boring to look at almost the same roster all the time, but looking like every other roster isn't necessarily a bad thing.
It means that the roster being created is a likely one, and since this is the Roster Prediction Thread, we post the rosters we predict, risks or no risks.
To be honest, I believe WFT is the risk.
So just saying, having a similar roster to everyone else is not a bad thing. Putting random characters for the sake of being risky is.
But there's bound to be something different from Sakurai's roster from all the other rosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom