• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
still, as I said, he doesn't like overrepping his own series.

Plus, not to mention the fact that Palutena is too Ridley 4 sm4sh.
1. No one who is anyone gives two craps about "reps".
2. No one is too big in a crossover game. Bowser has been over 100 feet tall before.
3. Olimar is smaller than a AA battery.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, I only see Layton getting in if Layton's creator specifically asks Sakurai. I don't think Sakurai will go to him. I'd certainly welcome him, though.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Re-size, that's what they did to Olimar :p
I am so tired of Olimar being used as an example of resizing. Anybody who does is just being naive. How do you know Olimar isn't normal size like the rest of the Nintendo characters and earth isn't big? I mean clearly earth was bigger than Nintendo characters in the Nintendog stage. Also Olimar didn't have a micro model in the game. The treasure models were just bigger.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai isn't putting in Palutena - for one he don't care bout the fan requests
Stop right there. I'm going to use that as a springboard off of which to call bull**** on every single person who has said some variation of the bolded quote over the past few months.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Anyone who is going to sit here and claim that Sakurai doesn't care about the fans, and by extension, the characters who get their popularity from the fans, should in no way be taken seriously in a speculative discussion.

This also goes for the handful of people I've seen trying to piggyback off of the community's distaste for the "relevance" talking point to start a similar meme out of 'MUH POPULARITY.' You'll never find a fraction of the testimonial evidence in favor of that garbage as you will with popularity, because, other than Sakurai considering promoted Pokemon as a factor (which we knew was the exception to the rule all along), it doesn't exist.

Lastly, this is less of an admonishment toward the people flooding their rosters with random NPCs and more of an warning: you now have Sakurai's quotes staring you in the face, rather than just the words of random users that they exist. Take heed of Sakurai going on the record multiple times and citing popularity as a factor behind character decisions, then add those popular characters back to any prediction roster you hope to have taken seriously, regardless of how 'boring' or 'mindless' you find it. You'll thank yourself in the long run after the final roster is unveiled.

EDIT: Added another quote I can't believe I overlooked...Sakurai spells his consideration of fan requests out for you about as blatantly as he can. It's translated from French, so I'm linking the French article here, and NeoGAF's translation above.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley is all but deconfirmed.... he's on Pyrosphere, and has only be seen there.
Ridley hasn't even been shown there yet.

Also, I remember a similar situation with Ness and R.O.B. pre-Brawl.

Lastly who would hype up that kind of thing without a payoff=??? That would make no sense. No one gets hyped over a stage hazard.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yes, Palutena is rather large. Much larger than Bowser. She's too Ridley 4 Sm4sh :troll:
Tell me how large she is in this official Kid Icarus Anime. Then we'll talk.

And even if he didn't care about fan requests (which he does to an extent.) Palutena is the Zelda of Kid Icarus, so she clearly deserves the spot. If Sakurai will add 2 characters from his franchise in one game, he'll add one in this one considering how deserving she is.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyone who is going to sit here and claim that Sakurai doesn't care about the fans, and by extension, the characters who get their popularity from the fans, should in no way be taken seriously in a speculative discussion.
In my estimation, here are the 5 most requested characters before each smash games' release (regardless of whether not they were playable before):

Melee: Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Mewtwo. All were playable in Melee.

Brawl: Sonic, Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, and Lucario (maybe Olimar instead of Lucario). All were playable in Brawl.

Smash for the Wii U/3DS: Mega Man, Sonic, Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley, and Roy (maybe Miis instead of Roy). The first two were already confirmed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If I recall, how characters are chosen is divided by two categories, ones that have popularity and ones that have a surprise factor. I think it was mentioned in an interview for Melee, where the characters Marth, Mewtwo, Bowser, and Peach were for the former, while Sheik, Zelda, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch were for the latter.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In my estimation, here are the 5 most requested characters before each smash games' release (regardless of whether not they were playable before):

Melee: Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Mewtwo. All were playable in Melee.

Brawl: Sonic, Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, and Lucario (maybe Olimar instead of Lucario). All were playable in Brawl.

Smash for the Wii U/3DS: Mega Man, Sonic, Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley, and Roy (maybe Miis instead of Roy). The first two were already confirmed.
This is implying fan requests played a major role in their inclusion and not that they clearly earned it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If I recall, how characters are chosen is divided by two categories, ones that have popularity and ones that have a surprise factor. I think it was mentioned in an interview for Melee, where the characters Marth, Mewtwo, Bowser, and Peach were the former, while Sheik, Zelda, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch for the latter.
So... Mega Man falls in the popular category... and Wii Fit Trainer falls in the surprise category... where does Villager fall in?

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
How do you know Olimar isn't normal size like the rest of the Nintendo characters and earth isn't big?
Because Sakurai said "Two that are actually not so tall. Kirby's about 8 inches high, Captain Olimar maybe a little over an inch." about a picture of Olimar and Kirby standing next to each other on Miiverse.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is implying fan requests played a major role in their inclusion and not that they clearly earned it.
Go look at his quotes about Wario and Sonic just a few posts above you. Also, in the "Diddy and Dixie were intended as a duo" article, Sakurai claims that Diddy went on to become a character because 'people found it odd that he hadn't already appeared.' Dedede, Diddy, Ike, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Lucas, and Mega Man also all appear mentioned multiple times on Sakuari's published list of fan requests.

I am at a loss for words as to how to make the obvious any more so.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If I recall, how characters are chosen is divided by two categories, ones that have popularity and ones that have a surprise factor. I think it was mentioned in an interview for Melee, where the characters Marth, Mewtwo, Bowser, and Peach were for the former, while Sheik, Zelda, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch were for the latter.
And there are the clones :p

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Because Sakurai said "Two that are actually not so tall. Kirby's about 8 inches high, Captain Olimar maybe a little over an inch." about a picture of Olimar and Kirby standing next to each other on Miiverse.
Why if Hocotations undergo puberty during their 40s or so. And smash bros takes place after the Pikmin series, when Olimar has undergone puberty and is now the size of a normal human,
Same with Kirby.
But it's just a theory.
A GAME THEORY!!!
image.jpg

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ now I know my ABCs next time won't you ************* with me!.[/U][/I][/B][/SIZE]

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I didn't imply that, I just stated what I view as the facts.

Truth be told, "earning" a roster spot by being unique and being popular in most cases go hand and hand together.

Now after Smash for Wii U/3DS that might not be the case, but it still certainly is with the tops most wanted characters.
Sheik actually had a ton of support pre-Melee strangely enough.

And yeah, Sakurai chooses popular characters.

Like I always say, popularity gets a character considered, but it doesn't get them confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom