• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Johnknight1 did you read my crazy theory and ideas for Smash?
.n_n.
That every good character could be replaced by a bad character because Sakurai just stopped caring=???

No, I haven't.
Project M already won. THAT is the Mewtwo me and everyone else wanted right from the beginning, not the heavily flawed version from Melee. A behemoth of power that will gladly crush your skull with no sense of humanity or mercy.
Sakurai can outdo Project M by changing all of his tail and slashing attacks into pure psychic attacks. Project M's Mewtwo is a BAMF recreation of Melee Mewtwo, but honestly, giving him fresh new moves would be way more awesome.

D

Deleted member

That's not even the issue to anyone (except ignorant detractors). The Toad most people want (the "official" Toad) isn't the unnamed blue/yellow one that's been recently promoted in the NSMB series. The official species Mushroom Retainers (known as Kino in Japan) have all been retconned to be known as "Toads." The one prominently advertised as "THE Toad/Toad the character" is called Kinopio in Japan. That's the one that would get in, in my opinion, over any other variations/colors.

While it's evident the color palette is the exact same for both generic and the main Toad and its the same one used in Peach's neutral special (called Toad Guard in Japanese rather than Kinopio or just Toad), I don't think that should hurt his chances as much as people are preaching it does. There's no precedent to go off of for "characters used in movesets" such as Toad or Palutena, so this isn't exactly the same as the Toon Link/Spirit Tracks Link scenario, but that alone did prove Sakurai doesn't care for making sense.

Which really, really, REALLY should have been obvious by now. Sakurai isn't unpredictable, people just exemplify Habanero's sig.
Actually, in Smash, the move is キノピオガード
Which is "Kinopio Guard".

So, that would imply that it is in fact THE Toad and not a generic one.

Or it would....if I didn't find out that "Kinopio" is what is used to refer to both "the" Toad and the Toad race in general.
http://legendsoflocalization.com/super-mario-bros/names/

The guy that ran this answered a few questions in regard to other Toads (such as Blue/Yellow).
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-colored-toads-in-new-super-mario-bros/
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-toad-is-trolling-us-all/

(Note, Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are "Ao Kinopio" and "Kiiro Kinopio" as opposed to "Ao/Kiiro Kino".)

This seems to imply that there really is no "the" Toad in Japan, and it's only an American-specific detail formed from outside media.
......that would explain a lot.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Sakurai can outdo Project M by changing all of his tail and slashing attacks into pure psychic attacks. Project M's Mewtwo is a BAMF recreation of Melee Mewtwo, but honestly, giving him fresh new moves would be way more awesome.
I'd rather he keeps his tail sweeps and shadow claws, thank you very much. Though I wanna see him with some well deserved buffs.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
...what the heck am I reading on the Toad vs. the Toads... :psycho:
Impa is a Sheikah in most or all of her incarnations, and Sheik's moveset was more inspired by that mythos than anything she did in OoT. The same reasoning can easily apply to give Impa a similar move set, plus some magic from Skyward Sword that, if used with restraint, wouldn't appear out of place when playing with the Sheik costume.
Well Zelda's not getting a direct port of her Skyward Sword model like she did with her TP Model in Brawl, because this game will actually have graphics that aren't over a half decade outdated.

Also, nobody but a few random internet fans want that. At all. And nobody knows or cares who Impa is, especially since Skyward Sword was somewhat of a dud at the box office.

Not to say that Zelda's Skyward Sword outfit won't be in the game, but just that it won't be her primary look (she will probably be a blend like Link).
]I am more open to your criticism of Chrom and Ike. I asked in the FE thread if Chrom is more like Marth or Ike, and most people who responded said that he's more like Ike.
He's Marth's descendant (that's a huge part of the game, he fights just like Marth (just with a spear), he has the same body shape as Marth, and he is super skinny. Of course it doesn't help your case when Chromeric uses the same weapon as Marth, or that Ike uses a two-hand weapon with one hand and Chromeric uses a one-hand weapon with two hands, thus displaying their power differences!
I merged electric mouses roster thread here. To view it
Go here. I apologize for any post mix ups.

http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-discussion-thread.336018/page-1007#post-15904215
This explains why I was reading stuff from Friday as the "next page." :laugh:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
That every good character could be replaced by a bad character because Sakurai just stopped caring=???

No, I haven't.

Eh that was not the theory or crazy ideas I was talking about. That we could get 14 new reps in this Smash making the roster of 50 playable characters (8 new reps from new series and 6 new characters from the older series).
.n_n.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd rather he keeps his tail sweeps and shadow claws, thank you very much. Though I wanna see him with some well deserved buffs.
I'd rather see him blow someone away or make them trip via psychic powers to replace the tail sweep, and see some sort of super shock psychic attack as his forward air.
ROB has a big part of Nintendo history, I don't think he's going anywhere, and Mewtwo did not have one of the worst movesets, I'd say he had one of the best.
I don't want ROB to go anywhere, unless of course he doesn't change. I hate camping so much and all it stands for, and I just want camping and stalling promoting ways of playing smash from Brawl gone forever to where it burns in the fiery pits of hell. Not because I'm a competitive player, but because I like having fun when I play.

As for Mewtwo, I don't think he has one of the worst movesets per say, but he had the worst executed movesets ever. Obviously the Project M take on his moveset had a lot of changes in how they worked, but there were even then several moves that got pretty much were altered to where they aren't even recognizable from what they are in Melee.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'd rather see him blow someone away or make them trip via psychic powers to replace the tail sweep, and see some sort of super shock psychic attack as his forward air.
I don't know, it'd make more sense, but it wouldn't look as cool...

As for Mewtwo, I don't think he has one of the worst movesets per say, but he had the worst executed movesets ever. Obviously the Project M take on his moveset had a lot of changes in how they worked, but there were even then several moves that got pretty much were altered to where they aren't even recognizable from what they are in Melee.
I hope they increase Disable's range. And make it a reflector, as well. And FOR GOD'S SAKE change its name to Confuse Ray! (don't give a **** if Mewtwo actually can't learn it)

D

Deleted member

I dunno, slapping someone with a long thick protrusion is more insulting to the opponent. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Heh, to be honest, after Mewtwo's P:M reveal, I could go another week without a character reveal. :) Heck, maybe two.
Seriously, it's shaping up to be a superb game. I don't see myself playing Vanilla Brawl after it's completed, especially once SSB4 is out. I'll still play SSB64, P:M, and SSB4 (since Melee and Brawl will be basically taken care of by P:M)
Join me in the "I quit vanilla Brawl club!" :grin: It's awesome! I haven't played an actual vanilla Brawl match since 2009 (a whole decade!), and man, life is good without camping. I love my slobberknockers too much to want to be in a camping or stalling match that times out because the opponent is too campy to approach.
I was actually going to post something intelligent on this thread, but now I'm watching a bunch of GG remixes because I clicked the link.
YEAH! POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT!!! :shades: :grin: :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Eh that was not the theory or crazy ideas I was talking about. That we could get 14 new reps in this Smash making the roster of 50 playable characters (8 new reps from new series and 6 new characters from the older series).
.n_n.
Was it that thing on the last page=???
[collapse="Because if so..."]I read it, but eh, those numbers were so diluted I don't see the point.

It doesn't seem to take into account that returning veterans is much easier than adding newcomers, because you don't have to redo all the hitboxes, frame work, animations, etc, and you also don't need to invent an entirely new moveset and character from the ground up.[/collapse]I like my 51 character idea the most. :p
Melee: 14 more playable characters than Smash 64, 26 playable characters total.
Brawl: 13 more playable characters than Melee, 39 playable characters total.
Smash for the WiiU and 3DS: 12 more playable characters than Brawl, 51 playable characters total.
Simple and straight to the point.

But regardless, that 48-52 playable character total range seems to be the right range. I had the 38-44 range pre-Brawl (my number was 41), so I wasn't too far off. Hopefully this time I'm underselling it instead of overselling it! :laugh:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Was it that thing on the last page=???
collapse="Because if so..."]
Melee: 14 more playable characters than Smash 64, 26 playable characters total.
Brawl: 13 more playable characters than Melee, 39 playable characters total.
Smash for the WiiU and 3DS: 12 more playable characters than Brawl, 51 playable characters total.
Simple and straight to the point.
There's an error in your formula. You forgot to take in mind the 5 characters that were cut from Brawl.
26 - 5 = 21 | 39 - 21 = 18
Brawl actually included 18 characters in total, four more than what Melee introduced.

EDIT: Goddammit, I have to stop jumping the gun so often.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There's an error in your formula. You forgot to take in mind the 5 characters that were cut from Brawl.
26 - 5 = 21 | 39 - 21 = 18
Brawl actually included 18 characters in total, four more than what Melee introduced.

EDIT: Goddammit, I have to stop jumping the gun so often.
You're talking newcomers.

If we put newcomers in the equation, then we got a wonky addition. We'd go from 14 to 18. There is no way we're going to 22 next game. Absolutely no way.
I don't know, it'd make more sense, but it wouldn't look as cool...
Well the claw could work the same way, but have longer range, and work differently.

As for the down air, dude, he could psychic blast them. Psychic blasting moves are such a BAMF weapon to have.
I hope they increase Disable's range. And make it a reflector, as well. And FOR GOD'S SAKE change its name to Confuse Ray! (don't give a **** if Mewtwo actually can't learn it)
They did in Project M. Apparently it can deflect projectiles (or at least "blasts"). Hopefully Sakurai and co. learn something from that.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
All of the recent Smash occurances directly point to a Mewtwo character reveal tomorrow(not really(don't take this as seriously as I am portraying it)):

1. Mewtwo, earlier today, was confirmed to be in this winter's iteration of Project M (despite having no correlation at all to the makers of SSB4) shoutout to PMBR.
2. Mew2King won a National Melee tournament, The Big House 3, today(albeit he didn't use Mewtwo).
3. ehhh idk what to put here so ill just put pokemon x/ys release. ya dig?

So it all comes down to whether or not that the Smash Gods allow their messiah Sakurai to tell the tale.

:3

I could suffice with anything else though TBQH IMO GTG KTHXBAI

inb4 daily pic of wfts bewbeez

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

What if we got a character reveal tonight...but it wasn't a pokemon character?

courte

Smash Lord
everyone should condemn this place, themselves, and everyone in it whenever they return to this thread.

good night everyone

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The site updated and its just Mario and Luigi on some Mario stage or more looks like some Mario part of adventure mode. Woo~ I guess all the other pokemon characters are unlockable...? Really wish we could seen something... oh well~ That warning is still gone which means someone is still on the way...hmm...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No pokemon character?!?!?

WTF?

No promotion for X and Y boggles my mind!

Still new stage!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh look, it's the pre-Brawl logic at work. Again. I mean, it worked so well the last time around that it couldn't possibly backfire.
It's the failed pre-Brawl logic at work.

Like the kind that looked for things in the cloud for hope to cling onto.

I swear to God guys you are making Toad, Toads, the Toad, the Toads, WHATEVER!!!!... into a more annoying version of the Geno fanbase.
Still new stage!
That stage has been seen a plethora of times before, specifically the E3 reveal trailer.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That stage has been seen a plethora of times before, specifically the E3 reveal trailer.
Yeah. The Wii U border is still up.

I thought it was a Wii U stage. Turns out its just more pics of New Mushroomy Kingdom.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Did a mini Toad debate seriously begin to start again? Remember this picture guys?

Remember this roster guys?

Guess what? He ain't makin' it again.

Oh and Impa is a terrible idea, why do people think "Muh Recency" is a good reason to completely toss out Sheik for Impa, yet give her the exact same moves? What?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah. The Wii U border is still up.

I thought it was a Wii U stage. Turns out its just more pics of New Mushroomy Kingdom.
Ahh, I see.

And yeah, I wish we saw more areas of that stage. It's the same ole, same ole spots. :ohwell:

I guess we're gonna have to wait over a month for the good updates again. Shucks.

Hopefully for the Super Mario 3D World release date window hype we get either:
-A Super Mario 3D Land stage.
-A Super Mario Galaxy stage, or perhaps even...
-A Super Mario 3D World stage.

Any of those scenarios would be AMAZING!!! :)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wat?

I haven't seen the new pic yet. And the official site still shows Friday (err, thursday's) pic for me.

Ah well, I'll wait a bit longer then head to bed. No Pokemon character this week I'll give up predicting reveals.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wat?

I haven't seen the new pic yet. And the official site still shows Friday (err, thursday's) pic for me.

Ah well, I'll wait a bit longer then head to bed. No Pokemon character this week I'll give up predicting reveals.
It's Mario and Luigi on that NEW Super Mario Bros. stage from the E3 Demo jumping.

It's not worth it.

Go to bed.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Project M already won. THAT is the Mewtwo me and everyone else wanted right from the beginning, not the heavily flawed version from Melee. A behemoth of power that will gladly crush your skull with no sense of humanity or mercy.
Yes indeed, let's compare Project M's Mewtwo, from an already completed modulation that is continually updated by its community, to Super Smash Brothers 4's hypothetical Mewtwo, from an unfinished project still currently in the beginning stages of development. That's reasonable.

Is there any doubt Project M will be far more competitively-considerate to Mewtwo than in Super Smash Brothers 4? Perhaps; given that it is a community-made game, more-than-likely so. But to count the chickens before they hatch is premature. For all we know, Masahiro Sakurai can (not necessary will) easily implement an entirely rectifiable moveset unto Mewtwo, and perhaps undo all the damage caused by past transgressions of Super Smash Brothers Melee's Mewtwo.

All I'm saying is wait until the game actually releases, to test whether or not such theory stands to scrutiny of reason.

It's the failed pre-Brawl logic at work.

Like the kind that looked for things in the cloud for hope to cling onto.
Nothing sadder than clinging into a near non-existent ray of hope

Ah well, I'm a shameless sucker but I'm not down yet.
No pokemon character?!?!?

WTF?

No promotion for X and Y boggles my mind!
Because the pattern would be way too obvious.

It's dumb to reveal a new pokemon character or a returnee pokemon during the release of X/Y because that would literally expose a pattern and everyone here will ride on it like a kid on a mechanical bull >.>

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No.
You literally missed my point.

Replacing Toad with Toadsworth is still changing the move. That's not improving aesthetics.
Think more along the lines of Snake's general appearance from E3 2006 to his debut on the newer Brawl Dojo over a year later and less along the lines of his Down Smash mines getting a different model.
He was darker in palette, was less "shiny", and had some parts of him that were rather low-quality comparable to that of the Assist Trophies. He was "refreshed" later on to be lighter in palette, more "shiny", and higher quality in overall detail.
So when Sakurai said Peach may be refreshed, he was talking about her physical appearance? I think every other veteran are getting the same treatment so why the need to single out Peach? And Sakurai wasn't talking about Peach's general appearance when Peach was confirmed.

Sakurai said:
"Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 new pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released."
Sakurai was talking about Peach's moves, not her general appearance like your Snake example. So why did Sakurai have to single out Peach's moves? We already know that some characters are getting some new moves (Bowser, Pit, etc.) so Sakurai could have said nothing about refreshing Peach's moves but he did.

If refreshing is about changing aesthetics and nothing more, then Peach's Toad could be changed into Toadsworth... same move, new look... like I suggested... like this...

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Son of a *****.
Well, let's see what we have on Tuesday, then!
Make it Friday, just to be safe.:troll:
Wat?

This might be the most fun looking stage so far.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So when Sakurai said Peach may be refreshed, he was talking about her physical appearance? I think every other veteran are getting the same treatment so why the need to single out Peach? And Sakurai wasn't talking about Peach's general appearance when Peach was confirmed.

Sakurai was talking about Peach's moves, not her general appearance like your Snake example. So why did Sakurai have to single out Peach's moves? We already know that some characters are getting some new moves (Bowser, Pit, etc.) so Sakurai could have said nothing about refreshing Peach's moves but he did.

If refreshing is about changing aesthetics and nothing more, then Peach's Toad could be changed into Toadsworth... same move, new look... like I suggested... like this...

I'm all for Toad as the new Mario rep.

But... wouldn't have Sakurai thought things through when adding Peach, if Toad had already been planned to be part of the roster back when he announced it was already finished?
Otherwise, why the unnecessary tease about using B neutral? Might as well have left us in the dark like the Ridley situation to Ridley fans. (Unless the default one is the blue-spotted one that's been playable recently, and back in SMB2(USA))

I dunno, some things just don't add up. I don't see Toad being in so much, though I WANT it to be him if there was another Mario character revealed.

I'm all for Toad as the new Mario rep.

But... wouldn't have Sakurai thought things through when adding Peach, if Toad had already been planned to be part of the roster back when he announced it was already finished?
Otherwise, why the unnecessary tease about using B neutral? Might as well have left us in the dark like the Ridley situation to Ridley fans.

I dunno, some things just don't add up. I don't see Toad being in so much, though I WANT it to be him if there was another Mario character revealed. (Unless the default one is the blue-spotted one that's been playable recently, and back in SMB2(USA))
We'll just have to wait. I guess. Maybe he actually added Toad and posted the pictures, maybe he didn't. It's unlikely but then again, Sakurai is tough to read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom