• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Roy could be a character who can't take a lot of hits but can make up for it with the ability to heal.

Goroh could only use his sword for some of his attacks. I can easily see him shoulder tackling, punching and kicking.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Because of Awakening, I always pictured Lyn being a combo-crazy sword fighter who relies on racking up damage rather than launching.
I like the bow being a projectile, though.

Goroh could only use his sword for some of his attacks. I can easily see him shoulder tackling, punching and kicking.
Give him Ganondorf's old moveset :troll::ganondorf:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
An extendo-sword? Like the Shaman King?

Me likey, suddenly Shulk sounds 10x cooler to me. Guess I'll have to wait for Xenoblade to... get...here, so I can play the game check it out for myself.
Manly, if you're in Spain, then you're in Europe.
And if you're in Europe, you can buy Xenoblade, because Xenoblade was already released here.

Or... your Wii isn't European?

D

Deleted member

Manly, if you're in Spain, then you're in Europe.
And if you're in Europe, you can buy Xenoblade, because Xenoblade was already released here.

Or... your Wii isn't European?
American Wii, yeah.

So my options are rather limited. That being said, my copy of Brawl is legit.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm team Jr. Just saying. He's so cool. (This adds so very much to the discussion!)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
A bit off topic, but here is a great article about Iwata. It's an interesting read. It points out how Iwata has not been doing a good job and ends up just apologizing for everything.

Goroh getting Ganondorf's moveset? God no

I'd rather just not have him playable at all
Agreed, Goroh deserves more than that.

NE0N: I will try to get to your reply eventually. I'm very busy with work and my investing activities. I don't have a lot of time for replies. Not to mention that for every paragraph I wrote, you wrote 2-3.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The site I'm using has a little map that shows where people are voting from *tears*

I've waited... so... long...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I agree 100%, it's the mechanics entirely Smash gives you too much freedom to make Zoning a serious thread, where as in SF it's damn near staple for stage control. Blazblue strikes a nice balance though.
This was why I was thinking of ditching air dodges and making air dashes function in a similar sense to 3d Fighter sidestepping - You can use it to get in or to get out, but you can be baited.

I actually don't like the idea of Lyn using a bow, at least not for a fighting game, it breaks her synergy, at least for the style I had in mind.

Not every character needs a ranged attack.
I can see where you're coming from. I was trying to think where it'd fit after.

Roy could be a character who can't take a lot of hits but can make up for it with the ability to heal.
Think about that for a moment. Why would you give a character the ability to heal in a fighting game so easily?

So Wario with a sword.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've got to say, I was disappointed when they revealed the new system

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Think about that for a moment. Why would you give a character the ability to heal in a fighting game so easily?

So Wario with a sword.
Just brainstorming dude. Roy does that in his game and Ivysaur does it in Project M. It could work if implemented correctly. It just needs to be slow.

Actually that thought crossed into my head as well. :p Thing is Aside from a sword and aggressive attitude, I see nothing Goroh can really bring to smash.

Alright let me explain the Roy idea.

For Down B or something Roy could stand there and heal himself. VERY slowly. About the same speed as Ivysaur in Project M. He is immobile while doing this and the move has a lot of ending lag so you would need to carefully choose when to do it.

Does that make sense?

peeup

Smash Lord
I think it would be interesting for a character to have a healing move. What I think could work really well is a tanky character with some DoT attacks and a HoT for himself.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's talking about how they can heal in battle, but they can't really heal themselves. They require the enemy actively doing something for them to be healed

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For Down B or something Roy could stand there and heal himself. VERY slowly. About the same speed as Ivysaur in Project M. He is immobile while doing this and the move has a lot of ending lag so you would need to carefully choose when to do it.

Does that make sense?
I love it, and totally want it. Anything but another terrible counter!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Does he get any additional benefit besides the healing? At least Ivysaur gets Solar Beam.

Zaxis

Smash Cadet
there B down special PSI magnet it absorb energy base attacks basically reduce damage

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
there B down special PSI magnet it absorb energy base attacks basically reduce damage
Again, they aren't healing themselves.

They CAN get healed if the opponent attacks them with certain moves, but they don't heal themselves

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Does he get any additional benefit besides the healing? At least Ivysaur gets Solar Beam.
Perhaps if he didn't, he could just have better healing than 1-2% per second? If the game is slightly faster like I anticipate, I imagine it'd be one of those choice things.

D

Deleted member

I think it would be interesting for a character to have a healing move. What I think could work really well is a tanky character with some DoT attacks and a HoT for himself.
Ragna the Bloodedge in Blazblue already does that, he doesn't just heal himself either, he STEALS health from his opponents. He's mid to low tier though, depite being the main character.

Giving healing properties to a tank in a fighter is just ASKING for an OP character, unless you made a "poison-happy" character that can quickly wittle down opponents to counter him, but then you'd have TWO broken characters. What works in Pokemon doesn't necessarily work in Fighters.

Stat boosting characters are cool though, that I will admit.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I suppose it could also charge a down B move as well. Maybe some kind of Fire Spinning Sword attack of something.

I don't know Roy's source material that well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Stat boosting characters are cool though, that I will admit.
Something Ness and Lucas should've been. Another idea I've wanted to see was a character that weakens the stats of other characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Talking about Roy, I imagine his sword play to be based on pokes and stabs. Both Eliwood, Roy and Eirika use that style.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hmm maybe Roy can use vulnaries/elixers and it can temporariley boost speed. Idk I'm just spit balling here.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A character that can weaken the statistics? Well for something like that, the most logical choice would be a character that could inflict a curse or spell on someone that temporarily weakens them in terms of speed or power.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A character that can weaken the statistics? Well for something like that, the most logical choice would be a character that could inflict a curse or spell on someone that temporarily weakens them in terms of speed or power.
How about Dr. Mario throwing viruses? :smirk:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL I don't think we need that many sword newcomers. This isn't Samurai Shodown or The Last Blade. :awesome:

Shulk - The Monado offers a new type of sword, a futuristic one. It also has to ability to do various kinds of magic that no other sword can do.
Takamaru - Samurai sword with various samurai gadgets and accessories.
Chrom - Semi-heavy sword user that can also use a lance.
Ghirahim - Can summon a sword but also uses dark magic.
Isa Jo - Uses a Gun-Sword, and can focus on both for varying combat, while the jetpack offers maneuverability.
Matthew - Sword user that can also use Psyenergy.
Robin - Sword User that is also a mage.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Or makes them take more damage from attacks? Maybe if someone gave Roy an Armorslayer, they could give it that effect. That actually sounds fairly interesting...

LOL I don't think we need that many sword newcomers. This isn't Samurai Shodown or The Last Blade. :awesome:
Blame Nintendo for making so many sword users that also make sense for Smash Bros newcomers.

I can name at least 10 that would make sense for SSB4, including the seven I listed.

D

Deleted member

Another idea I've wanted to see was a character that weakens the stats of other characters.
There can only be one...

Talking about Roy, I imagine his sword play to be based on pokes and stabs. Both Eliwood, Roy and Eirika use that style.
Marth already uses a fencing style.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
You mean like how Olimar's Pikmin can latch on to people and deal small bits of damage over time?
I was thinking about that too. Especially for the Pokemon.
Ivysaur's B move should be Razor Leaf, and his Side B move should be replaced with Poison Sting (that can be angled 40 degrees up and down and fire off in small bursts). The poison sting can deal small poison damage over time.
Charzard's Flamethrower can also have the burn damage addition and it can temporarily weaken the opponents attacks like it does in the games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll list the sword users we've talked about.

Isaac, Matthew, Shulk, Isa, Lyn, Roy, Chrom, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Goroh, Robin, Saki, Lloyd

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll list the sword users we've talked about.

Isaac, Matthew, Shulk, Isa, Lyn, Roy, Chrom, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Goroh, Robin,
If we're going to list even half of those as possible, then also include Goroh, Saki, and even freakin' Lloyd.

Edit: Goroh's there, I'm stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom