• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rare also did anything and everything. Which was also cool.

:phone:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The only Namco character I give two ****s about is KOS-MOS. Well... I like Soul Calibur as well, but I take no preference, Mitsurugi is boss, as is Asteroth, but they aren't icons of the series, imo those are Ivy and Nightmare. Also, there's Ace Combat, I like the series, but you can't have a rep in a fighter really.

Capcom on the other hand has tons of iconic IPs it hard to choose just one.
>Megaman Series
>Street Fighter Series
>Viewtiful Joe Series
>Resident Evil Series
>Devil May Cry Series
>Monster Hunter Series
>Darkstalkers Series >Bionic Commando, Ghost and Goblins, Final Fight, Dead Rising, Onimusha, Okami, Breath of Fire, Lost Planet, and many many more.

Not to mention they're responsible for the VS. Series, that Jojo Arcade Fighter, LoZ Cap (my fave 2D Zelda), and those awesome SNES era Disney platformers.Minish

Knock yourseld out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Capcom_games

It's easier being a Capcom fan than a Namco fan, even if they do jew their fans out of their hard earned cash from time to time. Not saying Namco's bad... Just saying Capcom has more to like.
only series i care about from that list u made would be Megaman. im not much of a fighter fan, Devil May Cry 3 was good but i can't say i really enjoyed any of the others, Bionic Commando was ********, haven't like RE in awhile either, Okami is alright and i never really got into Viewtiful Joe. all the other ones you mentioned i really couldnt care less about. I like Pac-Man, Katamari, Digimon, Klonoa, Soul Calibur (At least old Soul Calibur), . Hack, Dark Souls etc. way more . but to each his own i guess

plus im a sucker for the classics like Dig Dug, Galaga, Rally X and so on

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Capcom does have a lot to offer. Even if your not a fan, there is pretty much something for everyone. As for me, that something would be Mega Man and Okami.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nope, that was Virgin Interactive and Westwood Studios (Command and Conquer)
RIP Westwood RIP in Peace ;_;

Capcom made these:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Disney_games_by_Capcom

The best ones being Duck Tales, Aladdin, Goof Troop, and Mickey's Magical Quest (imo).
I agree. I loved those Disney games. They were actually good and fun, not crappy and lackluster like most newer Disney games not named Kingdom Hearts or (IMO) Epic Mickey. I wish those games are available on Virtual Console.

D

Deleted member

Rare also did anything and everything. Which was also cool.

Rare was king of collectathons. All of ther games had tons of content to collect. They were also big on comedy and presentation/graphics.

When I think of Konami I think of MGS and Castlevania and "WAN BIRION RUUPS! WAAAAAOO!" MGS is all about a deep thought proviking story. Castlevania is the opposite... Well, Konami is also responsible for YuGiOh.

I would say Capcom is Jack-of-all trades, they have everything. 'Pinnacle of fighters' is definitely Aksys/ArcSystemWorks, they GET IT when it comes to designing fighters.

PlatGames is best at action games.

Retro is best at atmosphere.

Nintendo is good at making FUN games that break from the mainstream and set a new standards. It also bests even Capcom in unique IPs. I think Ninty and Capcom are the companies with not only the highest numer of but also the most diverse IPs out there.

I was never a SEGA kid so when I see SEGA I see style over substance. A lot of their titles look really cool, but lack depth, they are neat time wasters but nothing else. Sonic, Jet Set Radio, etc...

Squaresoft... Ehh, they made fantasyic JRPGs but have lost their touch. They do bring out a nice gem every once in a while (TWEWY). Enix is still good though. Best JRPGs... I'd say Atlus. As for WRPGs, I'm tempted to say Bethesda, but Skyrim is only good with Mods. Also TES is WRPG/Sandbox hybrid.

Valve is best at listening to its consumers and delivering quality content.

Blizzard is overrated. Korean MMOs are better, and Westwood was far better at RTS than they'll ever be. I like their artwork though.

EA and Activision are the worst in the industry and should be dropped. EA is responsible for the death of Westwood and Bioware. Activision brought us the cancer of modern FPS titles.

Sony is good at copying Nintendo.

Bungie... Halo was fun. One of the few FPS series I legitamately enjoyed.

Microsoft should stick to computers.

Rockstar Games are losing their touch.

I have no opinion on Ubisoft. But I don't care for Rayman.

And Namco... As I said I like SC and AC, and Xenosaga shouldn't be theirs. They've done nothing but put KOS-MOS in crossovers. Namco for me is generally hit or miss. They get it wrong as often as they get it right.

Who'd I miss?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You covered most up I think? Also, judging from your analysis, modern day gaming sucks.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I don't really agree with your view of Blizzard. They constantly update their games to cater to what fans are requesting. Blizzard goes out to tournaments and host conventions to mingle with fans to pick their brain in what they are interested in their titles. Blizzard should be in the same boat as Valve. Thwy are constantly balancing games, adding content, and what not to make the best quality experience they can for fans.

Naughty Dog and Insomniac are the two developers that are keeping Sony afloat imho. Naughty Dog is good at making good quality (and variety) games. From games like Spyro, Crash, Jak, Ratchet to Uncharted, Resistance(Eh... This game isn't really too good lol) and Last of Us; And after seeing more Last of Us game play, i'd say Naughty Dog is up there with Retro, if not better when it comes to atmosphere in games.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Rare was king of collectathons. All of ther games had tons of content to collect. They were also big on comedy and presentation/graphics.

When I think of Konami I think of MGS and Castlevania and "WAN BIRION RUUPS! WAAAAAOO!" MGS is all about a deep thought proviking story. Castlevania is the opposite... Well, Konami is also responsible for YuGiOh.

I would say Capcom is Jack-of-all trades, they have everything. 'Pinnacle of fighters' is definitely Aksys/ArcSystemWorks, they GET IT when it comes to designing fighters.

Nintendo is good at making FUN games that break from the mainstream and set a new standards. It also bests even Capcom in unique IPs. I think Ninty and Capcom are the companies with not only the highest numer of but also the most diverse IPs out there.

I was never a SEGA kid so when I see SEGA I see style over substance. A lot of their titles look really cool, but lack depth, they are neat time wasters but nothing else. Sonic, Jet Set Radio, etc...

Squaresoft... Ehh, they made fantasyic JRPGs but have lost their touch. They do bring out a nice gem every once in a while (TWEWY). Enix is still good though. Best JRPGs... I'd say Atlus. As for WRPGs, I'm tempted to say Bethesda, but Skyrim is only good with Mods. Also TES is WRPG/Sandbox hybrid.

Valve is best at listening to its consumers and delivering quality content.

Blizzard is overrated. Korean MMOs are better, and Westwood was far better at RTS than they'll ever be. I like their artwork though.

EA and Activision are the worst in the industry and should be dropped. EA is responsible for the death of Westwood and Bioware. Activision brought us the cancer of modern FPS titles.

Bungie... Halo was fun. One of the few FPS series I legitamately enjoyed.

Rockstar Games are losing their touch.

I have no opinion on Ubisoft. But I don't care for Rayman.

And Namco... As I said I like SC and AC, and Xenosaga shouldn't be theirs. They've done nothing but put KOS-MOS in crossovers. Namco for me is generally hit or miss. They get it wrong as often as they get it right.

Who'd I miss?

SEGA had amazing atmospheres in the Genesis days. Granted they are declining. IMO Sonic 2 kicked the crap out of Super Mario World and DKC and I consider both to be GREAT games. Sonic ran platforming in Genesis days and SEGA had a lot more then Sonic. Also games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter were better on SEGA than SNES.

You say Blizzard is overrated? They made Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo I, and Diablo II which are four of the best arguably PC games EVER. They are notorious for their customer fan service and support. I don't play Wow or have a desire to but they do a great job with that series (I don't consider it there best title but rather the 4 above).

Microsoft did a great job with Halo but haven't had any other 1st party huge successes not on PC (arguable the Age of Empires series was as big as Halo).

Two great companies that you left off because they were bought out were Maxis and Micropose. Both excellent computer video game companies. Sim City 2000, Sim Tower, Sim Ant, Civilization II, Alpha Centauri, Colonization, Master of Orion II, all amazing games if you never tried them.

volbound1700

Smash Master
PC Gaming went into the toilet after 1999. Honestly, PC gaming had some of the best titles EVER in the 1990s with the Age of Empires series, Civilization series, Doom, Quake, the Sim series, Heroes of Might and Magic, Black and White, Myst, Command and Conquer, Dark Forces, Warcraft series, Diablo series, Starcraft, Warwind (an underrated game), Master of Orion II.

The only great PC games still in the market are the Total War series (which still has terrible AI but great game if you get past that) and Civilization (although none of their new games have captured the magic that was in Civilization II and the expansions).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seeing as all games suck nowadays, won't Smash 4 suck then to?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
[...]

[...]
Agreed with every single point there. Nintendo still making different games is what has made me remain attached to their franchises. Capcom also has variety, but I think Nintendo has more diverse franchises.

Capcom has one great flaw named on-disc DLC.

I liked both Warcraft RTSs and the Command and Conquer games. RIP Warcraft RTSs and Westwood. ( T_T )

[...]

Agreed completely. EA has hurt more the industry than done anything useful to it. So many good franchises that fell into the hands of EA that will never be what they once were.

Activision is well... you already stated all. I'd like to add that some people criticize Nintendo and Capcom for doing rehashes of their franchises, but assuming those statements are true (they are not, obviously), then Activision takes it to a whole new level.

Sony nor Microsoft should have never entered in the video game market in first place. What have they done to contribute to the industry?

I've seen somewhere (Eurogamer, I think) that Sony has once stated that their focus on their consoles is to have the best performance and the best specs. We all know the result: absurdly expensive consoles that end up costing money unnecessarily for the company.

See how Vita is selling comparing to the 3DS, for example. At this time, it won't surprise me that Sony drops of the console market like Sega did after the failure that Dreamcast was.

Temco Koei, but I think we all know what they're the best at...:awesome:
Ninja Gaiden and Samurai Warriors. Hack and Slash games is with them. That and the massive amount of fanservice (see Dead or Alive).

Seeing as all games suck nowadays, won't Smash 4 suck then to?
Of course it will. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
EA and Activision are the worst in the industry and should be dropped. EA is responsible for the death of Westwood and Bioware.
Don't forget Origin. And Bullfrog.

I've seen somewhere (Eurogamer, I think) that Sony has once stated that their focus on their consoles is to have the best performance and the best specs. We all know the result: absurdly expensive consoles that end up costing money unnecessarily for the company.
Which is really funny when you consider that Sonys most successful systems were NOT the most powerful of their generation(PSX was weaker than the N64, PS2 was weaker than the Xbox AND Gamecube). They really started going downhill when they started overemphasising the tech/media of their systems.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sony nor Microsoft should have never entered in the video game market in first place. What have they done to contribute to the industry?
Sony knocked Nintendo off their high horse. They also helped start the idea of gaming platforms as multimedia devices(which was sorta their undoing). Microsoft got the ball rolling on online play(which may or may not be a good thing in your eyes).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sony and Microsoft suck.

Why?

I like Nintendo. That's why.

:reverse:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Manly, you're insane if you think Korean MMOs have a better model than their western counterparts. The sheer amount of work you have to put into the most asinine aspects of those games is ludicrous.

Smooth Criminal

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd be fine with Simon as the new Castlevania rep as long as they don't use that god awful Judgement design.

Cornell, Carmilla, and Sypha were the only great designs in that game. Then, there's Simon who screams "Light Yagami as a Twilight vampire character". -_-

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sony never intended to enter video game market. They signed a contract with Nintendo to make a CD based system (what would have been N64). Have you noticed how the PS1 is colored and shaped like a Nintendo system?

Well Sony continued on project and got to the prototype phase and Nintendo came to them and said, nope we are no longer interested. Nintendo pretty much screwed them and left the contract.

Sony had all this time and effort put into a system and they thought, "Well why not go into this market and try to make a little money from this effort." They released the system as the "Playstation" and the rest was history.

Speaking of PC games, what do you guys think about Doomguy being in Smash? I would be against it even though I love Doom because Doomguy doesn't fit the Smash universe. I have heard some guys push for this before and unfortunately he was on a Nintendo System (Doom 64 was an exlcusive for N64).

D

Deleted member

I'd be fine with Simon as the new Castlevania rep as long as they don't use that god awful Judgement design.

Cornell, Carmilla, and Sypha were the only great designs in that game. Then, there's Simon who screams "Light Yagami as a Twilight vampire character". -_-

There's always his newer "wild rugged caveman" design that Kojima made.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
you can say what you want about other developers or platforms. but healthy competition is good in this industry. it idealy allows for more innovation and creative products. if it weren't for Marios success we wouldn't have Sonic, Crash etc. Microsoft entering the race allowed for an understanding of online capabilities. Sony introduced the idea that a console can be more than a gaming device. it gives us the option of saying "I like X series more than Y series for Z reasons." yeah you can look at these companies and say they got in it for money, but that's not a bad thing. innovating requires imagination, intelligence, and a little bit of greed to work.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
you can say what you want about other developers or platforms. but healthy competition is good in this industry. it idealy allows for more innovation and creative products. if it weren't for Marios success we wouldn't have Sonic, Crash etc. Microsoft entering the race allowed for an understanding of online capabilities. Sony introduced the idea that a console can be more than a gaming device. it gives us the option of saying "I like X series more than Y series for Z reasons." yeah you can look at these companies and say they got in it for money, but that's not a bad thing. innovating requires imagination, intelligence, and a little bit of greed to work.
So much this!!!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Speaking of PC games, what do you guys think about Doomguy being in Smash? I would be against it even though I love Doom because Doomguy doesn't fit the Smash universe. I have heard some guys push for this before and unfortunately he was on a Nintendo System (Doom 64 was an exlcusive for N64).
He'd be better suited to a theoretical MS Fighter.

Speaking of unlikely fighters, anyone have any thoughts on Commander Video from the Bit.Trip games?
[COLLAPSE="I AM ONLY A MAN"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Maybe it's because I've been playing Bit.Trip Saga a lot lately, but I've been kinda interested in hearing what others though about him.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Simon Belmont NES moveset:

B: Throwing Axe (Chargeable. Can throw multiple axes in quick succession. Axes have a trajectory similar to Mr. G&Ws B)
B^: Diagonal tether (Similar to Ivysaur)
B>: Boomerang/Throwing Cross (Does not make a return trip)
Bv: Holy Water (Throws a bottle of Holy Water that deals damage over time in the splash area)

Final Smash: I actually don't know what I should do for this. One possible idea could be that he collects the infamous red orb and gains bonus abilities and attributes to all attacks. For example his whip could have a flame element as a tribute to other Castlevania games. He could also throw more axes, etc etc.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, so Westwood made that Lion King game I had as a kid huh? RIP

Sony never intended to enter video game market. They signed a contract with Nintendo to make a CD based system (what would have been N64). Have you noticed how the PS1 is colored and shaped like a Nintendo system?

Well Sony continued on project and got to the prototype phase and Nintendo came to them and said, nope we are no longer interested. Nintendo pretty much screwed them and left the contract.

Sony had all this time and effort put into a system and they thought, "Well why not go into this market and try to make a little money from this effort." They released the system as the "Playstation" and the rest was history.
This is why Nintendo can be hard to work with. If that wasn't the case, they'd probably still have Rare too. The original Playstation outselling the N64 was karma for Ninty though if I ever saw it.

Um, yeah.. This.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It is my opinion that Sonic kind of changed platforming games. Before Sonic, most platformers were slow prodding games with the exception of the Mario Lakitu Levels. Sonic introduced running, dodging obstacles at high speeds, etc.

I was playing Rayman Origins last night and doing one of the chase levels and I thought with the springs, speed, running on walls, etc. That was all from Sonic. Even Mario games have adopted some of the Sonic characteristics.

Each company and game changes the dynamic of the industry. Sony, Microsoft, etc. have their value. Xbox definitely pulls in the young male teen crowd far better than Nintendo.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Because a lot of X-Box is mindless shooting.

And teens like mindless shooting.
Xbox is irrelevant to me. The only gaming consoles that are worth getting are Sony's and Nintendo's consoles. Microsoft thrives off of multi-plat games. Whats the point of getting a console when other consoles get all the same multiplats (Well at least Sony does...Nintendo can't catch a break with 3rd party devs) and exclusive titles?

peeup

Smash Lord
Xbox is irrelevant to me. The only gaming consoles that are worth getting are Sony's and Nintendo's consoles. Microsoft thrives off of multi-plat games. Whats the point of getting a console when other consoles get all the same multiplats (Well at least Sony does...Nintendo can't catch a break with 3rd party devs) and exclusive titles?
Halo. The best FPS franchise. The only good FPS franchise, outside of TF2.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Halo. The best FPS franchise. The only good FPS franchise, outside of TF2.
Halo is a great game, I'm not knocking game, but that's only 1 game.
Xbox has: Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and.....Kinectimals?

Compare that to Sony and Nintendo's exclusives.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Halo is a great game, i'm not knocking them, but that's 1 game.
Xbox has:Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable and.....Kinectimals?
Compare that to Sony and Nintendo's exclusives.
It also has the largest online userbase. That goes a long way when convincing people which system to get. People only want to get the system that they know their friends will be getting so they can play online together.

Also, most multiplat games are developed for the Xbox first, so the 360 verisons are usually superior to the PS3 version.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It also has the largest online userbase. That goes a long way when convincing people which system to get. People only want to get the system that they know their friends will be getting so they can play online together.

Also, most multiplat games are developed for the Xbox first, so the 360 verisons are usually superior to the PS3 version.

It was able to get the largest online user base due to it coming out before the PS3, and being cheaper than it too. These things don't seem likely for Microsoft's next console because:

a) The PS4's rumor'd specs is similar in infrastructure to the rumor'd Nextbox specs. Meaning the games will pretty much the same on both systems.

b) With Sony not giving nextbox much of a gap to establish itself as THE system to own. Many people will either opt for a PS4 over Nextbox, and the reason for that brings me to:

c) Games. With Sony not doing so well financially they need to make sure Ps4 is a hit. All the more reason to pump out exclusive AAA games from Naughty Dog, Santa Monica etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom