• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Would you guys rather have more characters if they had to be clones then not have characters at all?
Are you asking if we'd want more clones if it meant more character? No. I may be a defender of the existing 'clones' in Smash, but I don't think any additional ones should be added.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was reading the Zelda thread and it gave me an idea for something to debate on here... in Melee, Sakurai added a lot of clones that would not have been in the game at all if not for the fact that they were clones of other characters.

Would you guys rather have more characters if they had to be clones then not have characters at all?
Yes I would most likely.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Smash Bros-fandom and fanart is always fun to look at. How they just intepretiate or out-of-characterize certain character to point of making them look just ridiculous.
Most of the time it's ignorance, but sometimes it can be done out of humor or deconstruction, like Kirby being a genocidal psychotic. It simply depends on the context really.

Which reminds me of this from Awkward Zombie.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
We talking about guns? Well, obviously real-life guns wouldn't be allowed in Smash like Sakurai said... but Duck Hunt Dog could work in Smash. The NES Zapper is not a real-life gun, it just looks like a toy gun. The dog could do all the fighting and the hunter with the Zapper (the person playing Duck Hunt) could do all the shooting from the fourth wall via specials. He would be a good character to represent the NES Zapper games. This would be the world icon for Duck Hunt Dog.

The NES Deluxe Set came bundled with Duck Hunt, NES Zapper, Gyromite, and R.O.B. in the West. In that sense, it would be kinda fitting to see Duck Hunt Dog and R.O.B. together in Smash... as teammates and as opponents. :smirk:
But what would Duck Hunt Dog do? Throw birds? I don't think so.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think it's kind of absurd that Snake doesn't have his combat knife when you have Link, Marth and Ike running around with huge swords. Then you have Lyn as an AT with a Japanese sword to boot.

Falco's Lasers ARE OP. But at least it's one move, and they can be slowed. Imagine the same thing, but as a smaller more difficult to see object, and about twice as fast. That's why guns were a no-no for Snake. He'd just tranq. everyone in the arena and set up his killing moves. And a machine gun would be WAYYYY out of place in ANY fighter, just look at the Uncharted guy in PSABR, he just feels so... out of place.

EDIT: Well it depends on how they're implemented. A machine gun can work as a combo move, but Smash having no combos...
Like I said, there's a values dissonance when it comes to knives and swords.

Snake with projectiles WOULD be OP, but this has to do with Brawl's ****astic sense of balancing than anything else. One thing that needs to be fundamental is some way to go through projectiles or counter them directly.

And Chris has a Machine Gun in MvC3, but it's a fixed amount of bullets, and it has considerable startup.

peeup

Smash Lord
But what would Duck Hunt Dog do? Throw birds? I don't think so.

Pre Brawl, someone could say the same for R.O.B. "What would he do? Stack ****? I don't think so."

News flash, a moveset can be made for just about anything. Also, a functioning moveset already exists for Duck Hunt Dog in Super Smash Bros Crusade.

So yes. Duck Hunt Dog would throw birds.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Most of the time it's ignorance, but sometimes it can be done out of humor or deconstruction, like Kirby being a genocidal psychotic. It simply depends on the context really.

Which reminds me of this from Awkward Zombie.
Heheheh. I so remember this. I think I have this same with Celice: my friend in Devianart portrays him as rather casual and bit flamboyant boy which I rather like (and even if find fitting to his appearance) but in the games he feels like a generic noble prince who speaks in formal english and so on. (-;<>;- );;

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm probably in the minority but I actually enjoyed Kirby's Dream Land 3. A Kirby game doesn't have to be made by Sakurai to be a good Kirby game. But that's just me.

But yeah, Duck Hunt Dog would be pretty funny to play as in Smash. I would even main him whether he's top tier or bottom tier. Not gonna hold my breath for that to happen, though... Learned my lesson with Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Super Smash Crusade...

So man Smash fangames out there it's hard to keep track. How is this different from Smash Flash?

Also... I wonder how tough it must be to program in Smash's mechanics. Looks like it's a team of 3 guys... They should work on their sprites. I don't like how all these Smash fangames have tiny-*** sprites.

Also,
>Goku

Well at least Nurutu is out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it means more characters, I'll gladly take more clones. I wouldn't care if Dr. Mario was de-cloned or not. I'd take him right away regardless.

Even Pichu, who is the only clone that bothered me(Dr. Mario is arguably Mario as is, and as noted by Miyamoto, he might be an entirely different universe Mario, and not like the current one, so technically different people) at all, I'd want back. He's the hardest to change, though, but it's possible.(Zap Cannon for Final Smash perhaps?)

I'd gladly see Roy back even if it he didn't get de-cloned as well. I admit that Lucas feels like a spiritual successor to Mewtwo in playstyle(to an extent, B moves not so much as some fairly similar A moves in design. I know they still play differently, but the Jump is still about the same, and the whole various elemental/almost magical attacks reminds me of him)

I still would like to see Ganondorf further de-cloned, something closer to what Luigi is now. Keep the Up B and Forward B, give me his Energy Balls for B(hot, right?), and Down B probably his Earthquake. Or fully new moves, with the ability to switch versions via the D-Pad similar to Samus being able to change to Zero Suit. Alternatively, X or Y could be a "Change Moveset" that gives you either new B moves, new A moves, or both.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I may ask....

Do you think Capcom would give a Street Fighter character instead of Megaman?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL I could make so many pastries with those fanboy tears. Do it, Capcom! Put in a Street Fighter character or Bad Box Art Mega Man. :troll:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
If I may ask....

i've always thought that this could happen. Megaman has an advantage because he's more in demand. but we can't forget that Capcom really sucks that way. but i'd be fine with Ryu if it happened.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I may ask....

Yes.

In atleast one interview, one of the workers specified they'd love to see M. Bison in.(but not Ryu) They wanted MegaMan in more, though.

Honestly, there's a lot of characters I'd take over Ryu Capcom-wise. Even from Darkstalkers, they have great options. Lord Raptor would be kind of cool. Morrigan is probably unlikely, since they have their fanservice character in Zero Suit Samus already. Albeit, I know Morrigan is the main character of Darkstalkers. There's also Dimetri, the other main character. And technically Felicia, a secondary hero.

I do think Capcom is likely to choose to rep the MegaMan series, but there are other possibilities respectively. Doubtful, of course.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At this point, there would be a lot of potential for a Nintendo vs. Capcom game. It's kind of surprising it has not come up sooner, since it's one of those obvious crossovers that would kick some major ***.

I'd pay 50-ish dollars to play in a match between Donkey Kong and Amaterasu.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ignoring my MM avi for a second, there are plenty of easy reasons as to why Capcom wouldn't go with Street Fighter or anyone else from their company for that matter, to which I really hope I don't have to explain to anyone.

That said, I'm always in support of Mike Haggar/Arthur/Frank West. Also Nintendo vs Capcom needs to happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not sure why Capcom would avoid Nintendo this time, actually. Earlier, Nintendo were mad that Capcom put Resident Evil 4 on all systems, so wouldn't let Sakurai approach them.(I still question the validity of this situation, but it actually makes a whole lot of business sense)

But that's in the past. Frankly, I'd take almost anyone over Ryu(Street Fighter). He's the most boring choice possible, and we already have Shotoclones in Smash. 3 of them so far. Thankfully, we don't have any other ones, although it's not hard to have a Shoryuken(Super Jump Punch), a Spin attack(no need to explain), and a projectile. Even MvC MegaMan was a Shotoclone.(a very fun to play one, though)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

wat?

The only thing that can be considered shoto-clonish is that uppercut he does.
Projectile works the same way, except with a charge ability. He also has spinning based moves. He does count. I've played it, he fits the archtype pretty well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We gonna have MegaMan as a Mario clone in Smash then?

Nope.

Ryu would not really from Mario/Luigi since they are practically the same B-move wise. However, MegaMan has far other choices, so there's no worries.

I still find it funny somebody thought he could be a clone of Samus. Only thing similar is their regular Charge Shot/Mega Buster at best. That's... it. The Mega Buster cannot be "saved" and has to be shot once you let go of the button. Albeit, for the purpose of the game, it might be saveable, but who knows?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I fear MM might have the same OP like burst shot as Falco for a Neutrail B

peeup

Smash Lord
Can we talk about this Mr. Hanafudu fellow that's captured my heart? What are his chances? For those that aren't involved in the thread, he's basically the first product Nintendo ever created-- he's, like, the mascot for a deck of playing cards.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Zero will get in before ether of them.

Nope. Capcom has only spoken of MegaMan or Bison being their only ideal choices for Smash. Zero has never been mentioned(for good reasons, since he's not even intertwined with Nintendo like MegaMan is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom