• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Star Wars: Beam Sword having the same exact sound effect as a lightsaber in JPN 64 (removed outside of it for licensing issues).
Dwight D. Eisenhower: The slogan for his political draft was "We Like Ike", which is Ike's cheer in Brawl.
Kamen Rider: Falcon Punch/Kick = Rider Punch/Kick.
X-Men: .....have no clue.....Jalapeno (:troll:) would have to fill me in on that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We like Ike is probably coincidental. Should we really count that? I think not...

Rider Punch though? Really?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

We like Ike is probably coincidental. Should we really count that? I think not...

Rider Punch though? Really?

There is no coincidence about it. The only reason Ike would even GET such a cheer outside Japan is to reference the well-known successful campaign. Otherwise, his cheer would have just been on the order of "Ike! Ike! Ike!" in the same tempo.

And yes, really on the Rider Punch. Best (and currently only good example) I can give is this, which has both Punch and Kick (starting at 1:03) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419BrrzsXc0
Do not watch if you are prone to seizures.

In Snake's codec for Pit, he refers to Pit as a mutant. Possibly a reference to the character Angel from X-men, a wealthy young man who had wings which allowed him to fly.
I think THAT one is rather coincidental. Mutants in real life are defined as organisms with abnormal features. Pit, being, for all Snake knew at the time, a human with a set of wings, would be considered a mutant.

Now, if it was Otacon making a reference to him being mutant, then I could see how X-Men could be given a shout out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I saw someone with wings, a mutant is not the first thing that would come to my mind

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Who needs CD-I references when DK's Neutral Special and Yeti color are explicit references to the DKC cartoon? :troll:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Who needs CD-I references when DK's Neutral Special and Yeti color are explicit references to the DKC cartoon? :troll:
Hey yo, look out down belooow
Here he comes Bannana Slamma
Kongo Bongo's herooo!~♪

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
DK's neutral special would be a shout out if it was called "Banana Slamma" instead of "Giant Punch". The white color however is arguably a shout out to Eddie the Mean Old Yeti.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Difference is, those things being shouted out are good.
Captain N was a stain in Nintendo history like the CD-i games, only less humorous.

EDIT: What's next, should Link be saying "Well excuuuuuuuuse me, princess!" everytime he gets KO'd by Zelda as a shout out?
I'm still waiting for this in a Zelda game. Not said by Link, of course, but by someone.

I don't get the Captain N hype or that it has to be represented. It was only launched in the US, not worldwide.
Well, considering that every language version of a game has localization involving cultural references, it's not that unlikely. Phoenix Wright's cast had all their names changed from Japanese pun or cultural based ones to ones fitting an American audience that would get it like April May, Morgan Fey, changing English jokes to Spanish or French, etc.

It's quite possible that an English version could have references to Captain N, the cd-i games, and assorted memes as we've seen in the past. This doesn't mean, though, that the French, German, Spanish, etc. versions would have those references.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A bit of trivia: in Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer mode, computer players will have random names. Captain N is one of them.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The multiplayer CPU names were kind of hilarious. Some were references to Nintendo like Resetti and DeDeDe, while others were more random like (>.<) and Skraaaaw!.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, I wont be here for a while, so I thought I'd drop this.

I was thinking of a way to add damage over time (DOTs) into Smash. I figured there should be a character who specializes in that. Then I though, hey, why not Medusa. She does it in Uprising, and she's been in enough games that she might work out. I figure the DOT would work in that it does a random 1-2 every second or so for a random amount of time. Medusa would have other moves like turning people to stone and what not. She probably wont get in, but it's a thought.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I had a similar idea with Lip, mainly because Lip's Stick belongs to her and as such has the ability to inflict the parasitic flowers at will. To compensate, her attacks would be kind of weak, but have the ability to rack up damage quickly and consistently.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wouldn't it be cool if Toad could rack up damage by poisoning his enemies? Since Sakurai gave Toad the ability to shoot spores... well, what if those spores were poisonous? ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Going by video game logic, spores would put people to sleep or paralyze them.

...Which would actually be kind of potent in a fighting game setting. Like, cripple them and then beat them up with an iron fist.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Going by video game logic, spores would put people to sleep or paralyze them.

...Which would actually be kind of potent in a fighting game setting. Like, cripple them and then beat them up with an iron fist.
Super Mario RPG had an enemy magic attack called "Spore Chimes" where the music turns your party members into mushrooms. It doesn't fit Toad.... BUT there was another enemy magic attack called "Sporocyst" where mushroom-based enemies shot spores at party members and turn them into mushrooms. Now THAT version could fit Toad.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So are we talking like running around as a helpless mushroom akin to the Eggplant Curse, or stationary like Super Mario RPG?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Still doesn't excuse the fact that Hyper Mega Man is perfect Final Smash material.
Is it because he transforms into a mixture of Mazinger Z and Combattler V? I bet all the super robot/mecha fans rejoiced when they got the reference. :troll:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Y'know, if they regulate Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon Switch to a Taunt (unlikely, but bear with me), Ivysaur could use Poison Powder as a Down B for a Damage Over Time-type move. Just a thought.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So, opinions on Gamensia's weekly "Challenger Approaching" articles? The first one is a description for King K. Rool and whatever stuff associated with the character, and apparently they are going to add additional articles like it based on the "most-wanted" characters out there for the next Super Smash Bros. game.

http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/challenger-approaching-king-k.-rool

Knowing how journalism is, I'm expecting some big amounts of bullcrap coming ahead. But I'll give them the benefit of a doubt for now until that screw up comes along sometime in the future.

No Takamaru that's for sure. :urg:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, I wont be here for a while, so I thought I'd drop this.

I was thinking of a way to add damage over time (DOTs) into Smash. I figured there should be a character who specializes in that. Then I though, hey, why not Medusa. She does it in Uprising, and she's been in enough games that she might work out. I figure the DOT would work in that it does a random 1-2 every second or so for a random amount of time. Medusa would have other moves like turning people to stone and what not. She probably wont get in, but it's a thought.
Why randomly? Why not consistently?

A poisoning character has been brought up. I believe we even discussed applying that to Ivysaur with Stun Spore, Poison Powder, etc.

On another topic, I just did an ethnography on this thread. I focused on the Impa discussion and the two primary views on it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@Habenero

Well, if they took as many things from the K. Rool thread here as it LOOKS like they did, I wouldn't be surprised if they use Takamaru at least once.

To them it might seem like a "Fun, quirky possibility character", since they obviously don't look as deep into it as we do, and their info is going to be base level.

It also looks like these articles are only focused on the pluses, as they don't even mention the "negatives" people bring up, incorrect or not, about K. Rool, and I feel like this will be a recurring theme.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I saw a baby yoshi thread a couple pages back. Said hmmm...that might not be a bad idea! Clicked it. And it was the one from paper mario. But that brought up a question in my head. The yoshi series has a new possible representative in the baby yoshi's that were in NSMBU. Thoughts?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I saw a baby yoshi thread a couple pages back. Said hmmm...that might not be a bad idea! Clicked it. And it was the one from paper mario. But that brought up a question in my head. The yoshi series has a new possible representative in the baby yoshi's that were in NSMBU. Thoughts?

The NSMBU Baby Yoshi's would be good assists trophies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
IMO Yoshi doesn't need a new rep since it has few characters compared to the other Mario related side series like Donkey Kong and Wario.

The only rep that really stands out is Kamek.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Though probably much too late for any character to be added to Smash, I wonder if that yarn Yoshi game will bring up a new character for the series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We don't even have a release date yet. I don't think they've decided ALL characters just yet either.

Also, had a Smash related dream (5 seconds long whoa!!) and basically all it said was... I logged on here and people where all saying that the Ike vs Paper Mario matchup is really really fun.

That's all I got.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
Looney toons flash back :troll:

My Ideal 3rd Parties

Sonic
Snake
Phoenix Wright
Maxwell (scribblenauts)

@creator, I really doubt a side yoshi character will ever be as popular as sonic
Sonic, Snake, Pacman, Yoshimitsu and Megaman for me.
I also want Phoenix Wright and Prof Layton, which I consider second party though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom