• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Code:
A very unique clone? Lol
Also, I was saying down syndrome as its said in a joking way. As if to mean sakurai isn't stupid. You bunch of damn literalists lol and no. The fact that paper mario "shouldn't" be a clone is obvious. So is the fact that he could. What I'm saying is. Sakurai isn't stupid. So he won't take a character like paper mario. That is so unique from his own series. And make him a damn clone by ignoring half of his abilities.

:phone:
:ganonbrawl:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm not going to knock your idea, Your entitled to your opinion. But personally I would rather just have Doc an alternate costume if i could help it.
Then you miss the point of why people want Doc/mained him in Melee. I'm saying make it possible(by maybe holding R while picking Mario or something) to select an alternate moveset that has all the changes Doc had(non-MS fAir, 1 aerial cape, etc.). He's not even taking us an extra spot on the roster.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Then you miss the point of why people want Doc/mained him in Melee. I'm saying make it possible(by maybe holding R while picking Mario or something) to select an alternate moveset that has all the changes Doc had(non-MS fAir, 1 aerial cape, etc.). He's not even taking us an extra spot on the roster.
I think we are evaluating characters on two different levels. Your doing it from a game play/fighting stance. While I'm doing it from a series representation stance. I'm sure people played doc, because they felt comfortable with how his moves and properties of moves function. (If that's not the case then I'll admit I have absolutely no clue why people want/mained Doc in Melee.). But as I said before:

''I would rather them [Sakurai and his team] take the same approach they did with Wario Land Wario and Warioware Wario and just gave Wario a blend of all of his games.'' Rather than break up Wario into multiple entities.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Argument is moot. Ganondorf is a clone because of laziness. If Sakurai was going to be lazy with a Mario clone we'd just get dr. Mario.

You were saying how sakurai would not make a character and ignore everything from his series, guess what, he has in Ganon, besides, if he wanted a Mario clone, he'd just use doc, look at young link and toon link

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thing remains: Paper Mario shouldn't be a clone, and people shouldn't dismiss him as a clone.

This is where the argument started. So this is also where I'll end it for myself. If you really think Paper Mario would be a clone all I gotta say is:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Thing remains: Paper Mario shouldn't be a clone, and people shouldn't dismiss him as a clone.

This is where the argument started. So this is also where I'll end it for myself. If you really think Paper Mario would be a clone all I gotta say is:

I don't, but you can't dismiss the fact he could be

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we are getting a little paranoid with this whole clone business. I'm sure now that Sakurai is working with Namco and all. He would at least try to make sure every character has some distinctive differences in term's of animation's and all if they do end up having some similarities... ^^; I dunno...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Do people even call Paper Mario a clone? Or do they just suddenly start caring about character personality when the idea of "two Marios" in Smash comes up?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think we are evaluating characters on two different levels. Your doing it from a game play/fighting stance. While I'm doing it from a series representation stance. I'm sure people played doc, because they felt comfortable with how his moves and properties of moves function. (If that's not the case then I'll admit I have absolutely no clue why people want/mained Doc in Melee.). But as I said before:
I'm not advocating for him to be a full character and take up a slot on the roster. I'm advocating for Doc's moveset(or a similar one) to be and EX-mode for Mario. A system like the one in KOF '98, where certain characters have multiple movesets that can be picked from.

''I would rather them [Sakurai and his team] take the same approach they did with Wario Land Wario and Warioware Wario and just gave Wario a blend of all of his games.'' Rather than break up Wario into multiple entities.
But Brawl Wario wasn't a blend. He was pretty much all WarioWare.

The argument started becaus people were saying there was no possibility of him becoming a clone, when in reality it's entirely possible(though notexactly likely).

And even if he wasn't a clone, people would likely still perceive him as one. Look at accusations of Lucario being a replacement for Mewtwo, or the same thing for Ike and Roy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Conclusion: people are ******** about clones.

Really reminds me of the laughable pre-Brawl days where people declared Diddy as a Donkey Kong clone. :rolleyes:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm not advocating for him to be a full character and take up a slot on the roster. I'm advocating for Doc's moveset(or a similar one) to be and EX-mode for Mario. A system like the one in KOF '98, where certain characters have multiple movesets that can be picked from.
That sounds like an interesting, but isn't Doc's moves the same as Mario's with different properties?

But Brawl Wario wasn't a blend. He was pretty much all WarioWare.
He still had elements from Wario Land like the shoulder bash and his butt smash is his grab down throw. The blend doesn't have to be a full 50/50. I think it would be good if they just moves where it would make sense.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That sounds like an interesting, but isn't Doc's moves the same as Mario's with different properties?
Yes, but that's what I'm saying. Normal Mario would have the same properties as Normal Mario in Brawl/Melee(hopefully w/o FLUDD), and "EX-Mario" would have Doc's properties(non-Meteor fAir, shorter fSmash, etc.).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd prefer no Dr.Mario honestly... Only if we got a massive roster, say, 60 characters +. Maybe then I'd want Dr.Mario...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It is an interesting concept that I personally think would not work out for Mario and Doc. Now if it were used for a character like say... King K. Rool who has multiple styles (Pirate, Scientist, King and Boxer) than maybe; but that seems like a lot of effort being but into one character.

I honestly think it is cool concept, I really do. But looking back on what Sakurai said early on in SSB4's development, that one of his main objectives for this game is balance; and including multiple styles/variations of one character's move-set sounds almost counter-productive. Not impossible, but a bit more work which I'm not doubting they can't achieve. I still think blending/Wariofying (Nope that will never catch on) their moves across games sounds like a more ideal approach.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only reason that Dr. Mario got in to begin with was because of that remix of Fever.

If a character can be included because of music, does that mean Shulk is guaranteed? Because I will tell you that Xenoblade has some really kick *** music, like You Will Know Our Names and Mechanical Rhythm

Also Dr. Mario is never going to be a costume because apparently shooting out fire balls would be weird, with that logic being crapped all over by having WarioWare Wario and Wario Land Wario being the same person. Going by that logic, they should of been separate characters because Wario Land Wario never drove the Wario Bike prior to Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kickass music isn't a good enough reason to add a character imo. Not for Shulk, and especially not for Dr.Mario.

Remember hearing the Golden Sun Lighthouse theme on Norfair (of all places, would've chosen Spear Pillar myself I think)? Isaac was still nowhere to be seen on the playable roster...

Kickass music isn't a good enough reason to add a character imo. Not for Shulk, and especially not for Dr.Mario.

Remember hearing the Golden Sun Lighthouse theme on Norfair (of all places, would've chosen Spear Pillar myself I think)? Isaac was still nowhere to be seen on the playable roster...
Shulk should be in because he is an awesome character, with an awesome moveset, from an awesome game

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never said that that wasn't the reason Dr.Mario got in though, was just stating that they shouldn't do it that way.

Didn't play Xenoblade, so I wouldn't know. Would just be pissed if Shulk would make it and not Isaac. It's kind of a kick in the nuts for Golden Sun fans.

I never said that that wasn't the reason Dr.Mario got in though, was just stating that they shouldn't do it that way.

Didn't play Xenoblade, so I wouldn't know. Would just be pissed if Shulk would make it and not Isaac. It's kind of a kick in the nuts for Golden Sun fans.
There is no reason both can't be in (Xenoblade and Golden Sun) alongside Sin & Punishment

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roster space might prevent that. And Xenoblade fans are quite adamant that Shulk SHOULD get in over Isaac. Mostly cause "Dark Dawn sucks lolz" (which I also wouldn't know of- didn't play it either).

Then again, I have no real idea of what Shulk could do. But I do know what Isaac is capable of. So that makes things much easier for me.

This is my latest roster of 48+Mii and I think I got a pretty good balance of new characters from already repped franchises and new characters from unrepped franchises.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Roster space might prevent that. And Xenoblade fans are quite adamant that Shulk SHOULD get in over Isaac. Mostly cause "Dark Dawn sucks lolz" (which I also wouldn't know of- didn't play it either).

Then again, I have no real idea of what Shulk could do. But I do know what Isaac is capable of. So that makes things much easier for me.
Dark Dawn was criticized only for easy battles and for long cut scenes

@dragon not bad, but there are notable problems only 4 pokes when there is 5 zelda, isa over saki, Ethan over red, cutting snake and ike for simon and micaiah

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still, kinda wish I played it though. Remember being super hyped for it, but my old DS broke so I didn't get it in the end...

Dark Dawn was criticized only for easy battles and for long cut scenes

@dragon not bad, but there are notable problems only 4 pokes when there is 5 zelda, isa over saki, Ethan over red, cutting snake and ike for simon and micaiah
With the Pokemon Trainer and his 3 Pokemon the roster would then be 6, I could see that happening. But a 5th character is possible.

Isa is the new main character and the localized one. He would also be the main character most likely in Sin & Punishment 3, so it would be best to advertise him than his dead dad.

Picked Ethan because of Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Plus a team of Chikorita, Quilava, and Feraligatr would be different than the same old same old.

Picked Simon because he is more Nintendo oriented, and at least Castlevania was on the Wii and DS (and now the 3DS). Metal Gear only has a 3DS Port lately.

Picked Micaiah to diversify the Fire Emblem roster. We would then have a sword only user, a mage, and a sword/lance character. Totally different than having 3 sword users (where 2 then can use something else).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I kinda like the idea of Simon Belmont now that I have played a little bit of Castlevania 4. Still, not too sure of what his moveset would be like yet besides obviously using the whip. And maybe also throwing daggers / axes of sorts?

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
With the Pokemon Trainer and his 3 Pokemon the roster would then be 6, I could see that happening. But a 5th character is possible.

Isa is the new main character and the localized one. He would also be the main character most likely in Sin & Punishment 3, so it would be best to advertise him than his dead dad.

Picked Ethan because of Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Plus a team of Chikorita, Quilava, and Feraligatr would be different than the same old same old.

Picked Simon because he is more Nintendo oriented, and at least Castlevania was on the Wii and DS (and now the 3DS). Metal Gear only has a 3DS Port lately.

Picked Micaiah to diversify the Fire Emblem roster. We would then have a sword only user, a mage, and a sword/lance character. Totally different than having 3 sword users (where 2 then can use something else).
Just because some is dead does not mean they can't be a main character,

Heart gold pokes are not as well known as blue/red starters

Snake's creator is a close and personal friend of sakurai, the main reason why snake was in

I chose not to argue fire emblem so

Just because some is dead does not mean they can't be a main character,

Heart gold pokes are not as well known as blue/red starters

Snake's creator is a close and personal friend of sakurai, the main reason why snake was in

I chose not to argue fire emblem so

I think they would want to advertise where the series currently is, especially if the next game has the exact same main character/s

2nd Gen is still pretty well known, thus we don't overrep Gen 1

Still could be in, but Castlevania would be a better choice

Fire Emblem, yes

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Keep Pokemon Trainer the way he is. With Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Honestly with the Charizard 3ds, I would be surprised if red gets cut

Off-topic: Did you know that retro wanted to make a Mario American football game, that would have been cool (they changed it to an nfl game before it was cancelled)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Off-topic: Did you know that retro wanted to make a Mario American football game, that would have been cool (they changed it to an nfl game before it was cancelled)
Meh. I'd rather a Mario Ice Hockey game, though Nintendo probably wouldn't make one that appeals to me, since I mostly like Hockey because of the potential for violence.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not to mention Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
@lobo

Never played it, and I don't really care to.

Also, when I heard "Mario Football", I thought of this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom