• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Considering that Mario got most of his moves from his platformer games, Pac-Man can get his moves from his own platformer games, namely Pac-Man World games.

:phone:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
We have been making move-sets based around the past mechanics of Brawl and Melee, but what about these "new moves" every character is supposedly getting? I mean the X and Y buttons where merely customizable function slots/ALT jump buttons1 in Brawl, maybe they'll be used for more specials??? That can lead to character uniqueness and less clone-i-ness.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/super-smash-bros-wii-u-characters-2/

Only one, and it still did not make sense.
But those pac-bears were awsome enemies.
I think Pacman can get at least 2 moves based off of Pacman world 2. The Butt-Bounce and Rev Roll.
As for Mrs. Pacman, she can easily be an ALT costume.

D

Deleted member

Considering that Mario got most of his moves from his platformer games, Pac-Man can get his moves from his own platformer games, namely Pac-Man World games.

:phone:
But the difference between Pacman and Mario is that Mario began in a platformer, and most of his moves come from there. Pacman on the other hand...

We have been making move sets based around the past mechanics of Brawl and Melee, but what about these "new moves" every character is supposedly getting? I mean the X and Y buttons where merely customizable function slots, maybe they'll be used for more specials???

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/super-smash-bros-wii-u-characters-2/

I think Pacman can get at least 2 moves based off of Pacman world 2
and Mrs. Pacman can be an ALT costume
I suggested something like:

-------------Jump
Specials ------------Medium Tilts (what we have)
-----------Weak Tilts

Smash attacks remain our "strong" moves and stay designated to Medium Tilts.

Weak Tilts are faster and easier to combo.

I essentially borrowed from BlazBlue's:

------------ Special(drive)
Weak(punch)------------Strong(slash)
-------------Medium(kick)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
4 buttons to attack?...

Why hasn't this been discussed earlier?

I feel so ****ing stupid! :teeth:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, another thing that might make Tales more subjective is aesthetic reasons. While it's true that a Tales character can work out, there is a lack of charisma that makes it difficult to feel any form of excitement.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
But the difference between Pacman and Mario is that Mario began in a platformer, and most of his moves come from there. Pacman on the other hand...

I suggested something like:

-------------Jump
Specials ------------Medium Tilts (what we have)
-----------Weak Tilts

Smash attacks remain our "strong" moves and stay designated to Medium Tilts.

Weak Tilts are faster and easier to combo.

I essentially borrowed from BlazBlue's:

------------ Special(drive)
Weak(punch)------------Strong(slash)
-------------Medium(kick)
If they do this, I feel smash will finally be treated as an actual fighting series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never played a Tales game, neither do I think PacMan should really be in Smash. So am gonna say, I prefer both out. :awesome:

And Moon Monkey, I think that that's what Smash is gonna aim for actually. Being an actual fighting game. I expect it to look kinda cinematic, and in some cases even arcade-like but with much smoother movement.

D

Deleted member

4 buttons to attack?...

Because this thread is for character discussion?

We've talked about it in the slower General thread, where we tend to talk about everything NOT-related to who we wanna see in the next game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
4 buttons to attack?...

In retrospect, i think a lot of discussion on this site has over looked this tidbit, and how it will affect other aspects of characters and their (I'm gonna hate myself for typing this) relevancy in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok so prospect: if we get 2 more attack buttons, how would you feel about clones?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How in the world would the Japanese fanbase think tales is more well known than pacman?

Pacman is a classic gaming icon, I never heard of tales before this forum. EVERYONE knows who Pacman is

D

Deleted member

If they do this, I feel smash will finally be treated as an actual fighting series.
I never played a Tales game, neither do I think PacMan should really be in Smash. So am gonna say, I prefer both out. :awesome:

And Moon Monkey, I think that that's what Smash is gonna aim for actually. Being an actual fighting game. I expect it to look kinda cinematic, and in some cases even arcade-like but with much smoother movement.
You have no idea how badly I want this to happen, more than any character getting added.

On another subject, lets talk about mechanics. What sorts of things would you like to see implemented?

Personally, I could go for some:
High Jumps,
Air Throws,
Air Dashes,
Strings and Combos,
Dash, Jump and Special Canceling,
Faster Game speed,
character specific Shield durability,
and Multiple, balanced Final Smashes that can be either gained through Smash Balls, or Meter based like in other fighters.

Also, Assist Trophies should be much more than glorified Pokeballs, something like the Support Koma system in the Jump series could be neat.
High Jumps:
I wanted to address this here that way I kill two birds with one stone. We do have two jumps, you're right, but so do many other fighters, and they also include High Jumps. The difference is that High Jumps are a special command a little more complex that a normal jump that allows for very quick follow ups and aerial combos. The catch is that High Jumps can only be performed on the first jump and only from the ground. So it doesn't affect recovery in any way. Only Ground to Air transitions, combine with with Jump cancels and you have some neat combo/juggle potential. Think of it as the OPPOSITE to L-Cancels. This is especially helpful for characters with slower jumps and falls speeds as they now have the means to do quick air follow ups. How to do it? Well In most fighters it's usually down then up. In Smash, you could do Uptilt+Jump?

Air Throws: No, I mean like in video related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8SFqGWHZA), though not as broken (they fixed that in the later installments). A large portion of fighting game out there have these and Smash Bros, which has a very large focus on aerial combat could really benefit from adding more tools to expand aerial combat. Obviously you would only have forward and back air throws which act immediately like in the video I posted. I just say, press the grab button in midair while titling forward or back to do an air throw. You obviously have to be near an opponent to get them to activate, and if you miss it wiffs and not only are you wide open to a counter attack, but you also get your -500 bonus points post battle for "Butterfingers."

Air Dash
Air Dashes would be used in place of your second jump, the number of Dashes, and distance each dash gets depends on how many jumps your character has (Kirby obviously gets 4), and how high they can normally Jump (Falco gets nice distance from his air dashes, Kirby or Meta Knight... Not so much). This way they are used for what they're intended to, combos/evasion, not so much for recovery, though they might be helpful in sticky situations. You only get two directions like in GG and BB, forward and back at a 180 degree horizon, no angular Dashes. I think either Jump+Smashing/Tilting the Stick, or Air Dodge+Smashing/Tilting the Stick could work well. I lean more toward the latter, that way there are no mistaken registers, and that way you can't Air Dodge during and Air Dash, thus making Air combat more strategic.

With these three tools you now give Smash Bros its much desired focus on Aerial play without slowing down the engine to molasses. When I say increase Speed, I simply mean faster than Brawl's slow play. If Brawl was SF4, and Melee Guilty Gear, then an in-between Blazblue speed that's fast enough to keep it tense, but slow enough to make it strategic is a nice sweet spot.

Canceling, Combos and Strings:
I never liked L-canceling to be honest it gave to much of an edge to the characters that had good air play, and with Melee's lack of decent anti-air moves many characters suffered from this and it further divided the tiers. I think landing Lag should stay, it is a nice restriction to allow slower or more ground focused characters to have some edge. Jump cancel as the opposite is nice, canceling your ground techs with a jump to follow up gives them a similar edge, but not as broken. Dash Cancels and Special Cancels are a must in allowing certain combos and strings to be possible. Not too difficult to learn or implement, but certainly very useful in bringing real strings and combos to Smash. I know what you mean about Smash combos being more intuitive, and I agree, but certain characters would really benefit from being able to chain moves together. There is no reason to be restricted by the boring 1-2 MASH the A button combo, and not being able to flow into tilts more easily. Certain moves SHOULD flow more easily. This is necessary for establishing good Ground play, and giving non Air based characters more of an edge. It is a way of balancing the game so that certain characters that meet certain requirements don't dominate the game like they have in previous games. Take Ike for example, he's a slow powerhouse, but part of the main reason he suffers isn't because he's slow, it is because most of his more useful moves have this really slow start-up lag that makes him being any good, more a matter of being lucky and catching your opponent with them, than a subject of skill. If Ike for example could go from is 5A jab combo, to Dtilt, after the second hit and finally an Uptilt or Smash Attack he would be much more of a force to deal with than he is now. Would he be broken? Certainly not, he sticks by his archetype, the slow-Powerhouse, but there is no excuse for slow characters to suck simply because they lack the speed to keep up with foes. Combos help balance this out and give slower characters more of an edge, and it makes Ground play also more strategic.

One last thing, added focus on Air Play means ALL characters will need at LEAST ONE Anti-Air move/jab, be it Forward tilt, Up tilt, Up Special, I don't care, you can't have air focus, and not include AA moves, this is something we've needed since Smash 64, not ALL characters come with good quick AA.

Final Smashes:
See previous reply.
How does PSABR having a meter in any way affect Smash? Sony didn't invent meters in fighters, Street Fighter had them LONG before Sony decided to get in on it. Also, I think Sony accusing Nintendo of copying ideas is a bit absurd this far in the game, considering how many ideas of theirs were literally rip-offs from Nintendo innovations, from a 4 button controller, to the Analog Stick, to Motion controls, the list goes on...

The reason why I'd like to allow Final Smashes to be buildable through meters as well as items, is so that they get balanced (as in no FS is a free kill anymore, more like SF4 Ultras, where the more damage you take, the more they build, thus adding suspense, but the damage they do isn't game breaking), and can hopefully see the light of day in competitive play.

As far as items go... I hardly ever play with them on, so I don't care what they add or remove really.
I think they SHOULD do something with all the extra buttons, the WiiU Pro has 2 more buttons than the GCN, to that add the 3 already unused buttons we have on that controller and you have a total of 5 buttons that can still be used for something.

I think that on the WiiU, the Gamepad (the + not the screen) and the Stick should both be used for the same thing. Taunting should have a specific button and the directional inputs give you a different taunt. Having the option of Pad and Stick could be great for some personalization.

Two special buttons seems odd, and Smash should definitely stay away from the Arcade 236 and the like inputs. We already have a weak/strong division with tilts and Smash attacks.

Though many 6 button fighters have weak, medium, heavy punch/kick variations.

Guilty Gear does: punch, kick, slash, heavy slash, dust, respect. With dust being the special/launcher and respect a sort of taunt.

Blazblue does weak, medium, heavy, special.

Smash could do that. weak fast tilts, and medium/heavy tilts on another button, specials still get assigned to one button, and Smash attacks remain on the medium/heavy tilts button. Jump is the last button. R1 is grab, R2 is block/dodge/air dodge/air dash. L1 is to activate the Final Smash, L2 for taunts. The Second stick is for shorcuts with uncharged Smash Attacks being the default. Double tapping on the pad is the same as Smashing the stick. Up+Jump is high jump... And all your attacks barring Smash attacks have 5,4/6,2,8 variations (look at your numberpad if this confuses you), with medium tilts getting an additional Dash attack. Some characters will still keep their preset combos with the 5 medium tilt. Did I miss anything? Oh, obviously all the button commands can be customized in an options screen and saved to an account. I've never heard of a fighter that didn't allow that these days.

On final Smashes, this is how I want them to work, you can choose the FS a la SF Alpha 3 'isms,' where after choosing your character, you choose their Super move. One is a power-up ability or transformation like Warioman, that boosts their attributes, one is a Super Move like Samus' Beam the like, and the Final one is a premade Combo, like Great Aether and the like. All of them are balanced so that no FS is too strong. Most will do a good 50% damage and do decent knockback, at high percent it will kill if you get hit, IF you get hit. However, they shouldn't be game breaking. Building up the meter should be difficult. A, you can collect Smash Balls, 3 Smash balls, fill up your meter. Or B. you can have an option to where the meter builds the more damage you take, a la SF4. It should take a good 200% damage to get a full meter. In a 3 stock battle you may see one FS, or none at all.

Likewise, you can also use the meter to summon Assist Trophy support. No longer glorified Pokeballs, ATs are now picked before a fight. Before you choose a stage, you have an option to choose ONE AT from a list. Using and AT will take up 50% of you Smash meter, and you must have at least that much to be able to use them, but not 100% as a full meter will always give you a FS. ATs range from balanced to broken... But certain ATs can be banned from tourney play, likewise this whole thing can be take out from competitive play if it proves too broken (both ATs and FS should still remain a toggle option), however the idea is to make both viable options. ATs function like in the Jump series, some cause status effect on you or your opponents, some distract them by attacking, some also heal you a bit.

The Smash Meter, is just a non-intrusive, circular meter that surrounds your Damage %. You can tell how much you have based on how much of the circle is filled. When it's completely full, it will flash (no more darkening the screen, I hated that in Brawl).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Ok so prospect: if we get 2 more attack buttons, how would you feel about clones?
It would really help characters like Falco, Toon Link and Gannon to branch out if done right.
With more possible moves, more nods to each characters game can be made. Like if Toon Link actually used items from Wind Waker, Phantom etc...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haven't agreed with so many ideas in days. Good **** again my man! Especially like the High Jumps.

@Moon Monkey: This is what I was thinking about as well! I wouldn't mind if they'd copy say, 10 more moves of their respective 'original' character, but if that'd give them say, 4 more different moves I think there is more to gain than lose.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
@ManlySpirit
OMG smash suddenly just got more deeper...

@ Diddy Kong Agree'd. However, if Falco, Fox and wolf all get varrying moves, i'm still gonna be pissed if they all get Landmaster as their FS.

D

Deleted member

Haven't agreed with so many ideas in days. Good **** again my man! Especially like the High Jumps.

@Moon Monkey: This is what I was thinking about as well! I wouldn't mind if they'd copy say, 10 more moves of their respective 'original' character, but if that'd give them say, 4 more different moves I think there is more to gain than lose.
Dude, if this doesn't get made, I'll be considerably disappointed. They should at least grab two of these ideas, but all of them can work very well with Smash Bros and its casual audience as most are easy to learn, but also non-intrusive.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Off-Topic
Remember that crazy E3 Rumor List?

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/ru...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

I just realized 2 of those rumors just surfaced this week:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/everything-we-know-about-pokemon-x-and-y

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/ces-microsoft-illumiroom-makes-your-room-a-screen

That means there is still hope for that Smash4 E3 Demo :bee:

On-Topic

When I start thinking about how these new moves will affect the game's balance, I'm pretty sure we're looking at 5 new characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
One thing though, I cannot really picture ALL characters doing Air Throws. I already find it awkward enough how Marth is able to throw DK and Bowser in the sky with his up throw, just how would it look if Marth threw DK or Bowser out of the air similary as in that video? Overall it's a nice idea, but maybe not practical for all characters.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Mainline 3DS Pokemon game needs roughly two more years before it’s released. Uses a full 3D engine and will have a story dealing with a world wide crisis. A new Pokemon type will be introduced (has not been done since Gold and Silver) and while not as many new Pokemon as in past gens older Pokemon will get new abilities and forms. Will maximize the Nintendo 3DS use of 3D, StreetPass and online connectivity. The first NFC game for Wii U will be a next gen Battrio game coming out in all regions.
Nope, comes out October 2013 worldwide.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Noticed that to.

Donkey Kong Land Returns was too good to be true though...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Bummer. Can anyone say woosah....

But yeah, I think Marth + Crazy ground control + Air grabs is a recipe for hax

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, question time; I heard that there's some rumor of a leak floating around that K. Rool's among the roster. Can anyone confirm where this came from?(whether it's real or not is not relevant to what I mean, but then again, it's probably fake)

D

Deleted member

Off-Topic
Remember that crazy E3 Rumor List?

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/ru...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

I just realized 2 of those rumors just surfaced this week:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/everything-we-know-about-pokemon-x-and-y

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/ces-microsoft-illumiroom-makes-your-room-a-screen

That means there is still hope for that Smash4 E3 Demo :bee:

On-Topic

When I start thinking about how these new moves will affect the game's balance, I'm pretty sure we're looking at 5 new characters.

From your link:

Namco-Bandai is working with Sakurai to get a fully working demo at E3 for Smash Bros. Sakurai really took to heart the complaints about the single player game and the online game. He is solving this by making the single player very deep this time done by the Tales series people and is planning to have a Network Beta of the game for download the day of Nintendo’s E3 show. This way they can beta test online for about one year before they ship the game.
This sounds like a very plausible and GOOD idea. I hope it's true. I imagine many people would buy a WiiU just to be able to get the Smash 4 beta.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What kind of games where the Tales series anyway? I kinda picture JRPG in my mind, but what about the rest? Do the series have good stories ect?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
From your link:

This sounds like a very plausible and GOOD idea. I hope it's true. I imagine many people would buy a WiiU just to be able to get the Smash 4 beta.
If this was to supposedly happen, I don't see the beta roster consisting no more than Mario, Pikachu, Link and Kirby. Maybe Samus too, just to round out the demo.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How in the world would the Japanese fanbase think tales is more well known than pacman?

Pacman is a classic gaming icon, I never heard of tales before this forum. EVERYONE knows who Pacman is
Yeah, I'd like to know what kind of drugs those said Japanese fans are on.

D

Deleted member

Bummer. Can anyone say woosah....

But yeah, I think Marth + Crazy ground control + Air grabs is a recipe for hax
Nah man, Marth has amazing Air and Ground to Air game, well he did in Melee, didn't bother too much with him in Brawl because of his nerfed tip/range and they changed his Shield Breaker, making him a weaker edge guarder.

His Ground Game isn't as good as other characters, and if heavyweights get the desired buffs he might face a lot of trouble if not buffed a bit.

If this was to supposedly happen, I don't see the beta roster consisting no more than Mario, Pikachu, Link and Kirby. Maybe Samus too, just to round out the demo.
Who cares man, you get to play test the new game with its new engine and mechanics. Plus you'll get to check out some stages and the online play. Plus, chances are they'll make the 12 mains playable, and they'll have new moves.

What kind of games where the Tales series anyway? I kinda picture JRPG in my mind, but what about the rest? Do the series have good stories ect?
I've never played them personally, but from what I understand they're Action JRPGs, that are very character drive and have a good cast.

I could probably get it running on Dolphin if I tried, but I lack the time to be playing vidya these days...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Tales is far more popular as a whole in Japan, while it's a niche series everywhere else. I highly doubt it's more famous then Pac-man regardless though.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth could be a little bit more balanced I feel. He isn't really all that speed-orientated in his games. Meaning, he could be a little slower and a little stronger. Always found it weird he was lighter than the princesses as well... O.o He's the HERO KING man, he's supposed to be a little tougher than a couple of princesses. :smirk:

Though, if X or Y would become 'strong tilts' aka in between Smash and Tilt strong attacks, I see no reason to change him at all. Marth is cool in Smash.
Wish I could play him better in Melee though, he'd be my main then...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I actually played some of the Tales games and loved them (Symphonia and Abyss especially) but wouldn't be crazy enough as to say they're more well known than Pac-man.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Marth is not exactly super macho manly man, he's more of a pretty prince charming. It shouldn't be that surprising that he is kinda light and quick.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Nah man, Marth has amazing Air and Ground to Air game, well he did in Melee, didn't bother too much with him in Brawl because of his nerfed tip/range and they changed his Shield Breaker, making him a weaker edge guarder.

His Ground Game isn't as good as other characters, and if heavyweights get the desired buffs he might face a lot of trouble if not buffed a bit.
As it should be. In my eyes a short hop Nair is a good ground game in brawl. lol

Who cares man, you get to play test the new game with its new engine and mechanics. Plus you'll get to check out some stages and the online play. Plus, chances are they'll make the 12 mains playable, and they'll have new moves.
I know, but I was just thinking from a realistic stand-point. Really you think the original 12? That might be a little much how much as the Brawl E3 demo roster? I was thinking of PSASBR beta tbh, when considering the SSB4 beta roster size; But to be fair that game's roster isn't all that big to begin with.

D

Deleted member

Marth could be a little bit more balanced I feel. He isn't really all that speed-orientated in his games. Meaning, he could be a little slower and a little stronger. Always found it weird he was lighter than the princesses as well... O.o He's the HERO KING man, he's supposed to be a little tougher than a couple of princesses. :smirk:

Though, if X or Y would become 'strong tilts' aka in between Smash and Tilt strong attacks, I see no reason to change him at all. Marth is cool in Smash.
Wish I could play him better in Melee though, he'd be my main then...
CrappyCaptureDevice does a good job at explaining the reasoning behind Marth's moves and playstyle, check out his videos.

His "Graceful" speedy moves link to his gentle personality, and kind demeanor, it's also the reason for the focus on his aerial play, it's like he's "dancing with a sword." The speed and tip play are because they borrowed a lot from fencing to build his moves, and it goes well with him having a Rapier (a fencing sword) and him being a Prince.

He's actually a very well made and well thought out character if you think about it. He needs some buffs but even with his nerfs he stood up pretty well in Brawl.

He can't be slowed down as Chrom comes a across as more bruttish than him and will likely play as a good middleground between him and Ike, who will be likely Guts (Berserk) incarnate. A Grizzley Badass with a Huge Sword and a Huge Axe, that demolishes his opponents with Raw Power.

Imo it'll be:

Marth> fast and graceful
Chrom> balanced and strategic
Ike> prepare your anus

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth is not exactly super macho manly man, he's more of a pretty prince charming. It shouldn't be that surprising that he is kinda light and quick.
Yes but as the one leading a war, and thus taking a far more offensive role , shouldn't he be supposed to be a little sturdier? He hasn't got too bad defences in Fire Emblem. He's pretty all-arounded. Though Speed is still his strongest point, especially on the earlier levels. He should be about Peach's weight I feel.

I wouldn't mind sacrificing a lot of his grab game (shorter range, worse throws) for a little more strenght on non-tippered attacks and weight. A tad slower dashing also wouldn't be out of place. Although, he HAS to keep up with characters on horses and pegasi all of the time. :awesome: Guess he got them boots on?

Imo it'll be:

Marth> fast and graceful
Chrom> balanced and strategic
Ike> prepare your anus
:laugh:

Ike is awesome though. His rough style easily fits Smash. And I don't really want to see him gone.

Also, Marth fits the type of playstyle of the 'Swordmaster' class a lot. While Ike is more like the classic 'Hero'. Thefore, Marth should have Nabarl as his Red costume, and Ike should have a Ogma based costume. Given their clothing styles, it would work easily. Marth should also definitely have a Celice based costume. Ike, or rather: Chrom could have Sigurd.

D

Deleted member

Yes but as the one leading a war, and thus taking a far more offensive role , shouldn't he be supposed to be a little sturdier? He hasn't got too bad defences in Fire Emblem. He's pretty all-arounded. Though Speed is still his strongest point, especially on the earlier levels. He should be about Peach's weight I feel.

I wouldn't mind sacrificing a lot of his grab game (shorter range, worse throws) for a little more strenght on non-tippered attacks and weight.

:laugh:

Ike is awesome though. His rough style easily fits Smash. And I don't really want to see him gone.
Me neither, I was a huge supporter of him, Lyn and Wolf back in Brawl days, I'd hate to lose the two that actually made it in. The sooner people accept that all three can stay (Marth, Ike and Chrom), the sooner it becomes a reality.

Ike is actually nothing like Chrom, his Brawl iteration is a somewhat inaccurate depiction of his personality. All three of them can easily be in Smash 4, especially if you buff Ike as a heavyweight and give him axes (handaxe and Urvan).

I wrote a detailed description on all 3 of them and how they could differ in playstyle, moves and strategy, but it's way back and surrounded by flame wars, banter and ****posting, so I'll probably rewrite it and elaborate on it, as I really liked the ideas I came up with and I'd like to ponder them a bit more. It would make a neat post for Horsetail's moveset thread, and my Archetypes thread.

Also, Marth fits the type of playstyle of the 'Swordmaster' class a lot. While Ike is more like the classic 'Hero'. Thefore, Marth should have Nabarl as his Red costume, and Ike should have a Ogma based costume. Given their clothing styles, it would work easily. Marth should also definitely have a Celice based costume. Ike, or rather: Chrom could have Sigurd.
Not quite, Swordmasters are supposed to use Katanas and more 'fierce' than 'graceful.' They use a very Iaijutsu inspired style, that's very quick and deadly, but very close ranged. Whereas Marth basically draws a lot from Fencing with his superior range and defense breaks. Lyn is more of a Swordmaster really, and the main reason I want her in Smash, her style would be soooooo different from anything else in Smash, and it would so cool.

Check this out:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329084

I wrote this a while back, and while I kinda wanna go back and rework it a bit to make her more counter-focused, like BlazBlue's Hakumen, the references to Ruroni Kenshin give a good example of why I'm excited about her character.

Oh, and all the Lords have plenty of Alt Costumes in the canon, no need to make other characters their costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom