• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
with at least 100 new Pokemon with several evolutions and pre-evolutions
Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution. Stunfisk evolution.
Watch, we're gonna get a pre-evolution instead...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Don't usually hear that.
Probably because I'm not that big of a Pokémon fanboy.
Obviously I like more the first two gens (I played Gold for like 300 hours), but third and fourth are the worst, especially third.
Fifth gen is more random and kinda trash sometimes, but that's why I like it. It' very different and original.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Nooooooooo way son. Third is not da worst.

Get up outta here with that.
Don't know, it had a lot of clone Pokémons, probably the worst starters ever (Blaziken is good but Sceptile is kinda average and Swampert is HORRIBLE). Also legendary pokémons were mostly bad, with the exception of Deoxys.
The game itself also was the least exciting for me.

splat

Smash Lord
Don't know, it had a lot of clone Pokémons, probably the worst starters ever (Blaziken is good but Sceptile is kinda average and Swampert is HORRIBLE). Also legendary pokémons were mostly bad, with the exception of Deoxys.
The game itself also was the least exciting for me.
Clone Pokémon? What do you mean by that, if I may ask? If you're talking Pokémon reminiscent of earlier designs, generation five is quite possibly the worst offender, cloning many lines such as the Zubat line, Machop line, Geodude line and so on.
Generation three is pretty much my favorite. The starter set is possibly my favorites designwise and many of the early Pokémon were plain awesome to me. I never cared for legendaries either way, but yet, I got really excited when I caught Groudon for the first time.

As for generation six - I think it'll be launched before Smash four, but I'm not sure if it will before the roster is set in stone. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pokémon representing generation six (quite possibly another Lucario-esque Pokémon) appear.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
maybe i made a mistake getting into pokemon this year. Looking at you guys... it scares me.
It's best to get into the games and avoid the fandom entirely, which is actually true for almost anything.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Nah 5th gen has probably the worst starters I've ever seen. Honestly after seeing those three and their evolutions I almost didn't buy the game. And don't even get me started on all the other Pokemon. This is just me but I like 1st gen, then third, fourth, second, and then fifth.

:phone:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Gen 6's and Sm4sh's releases are within the same timeframe. The timeframe, in this case being, we have absolutely no inkling of when they'll come out. On Sm4sh, Namco could either move slower or faster than the previous company did, which leaves a lot to chance. There's also the two game to think about. On Gen 6, it's unknown if there will be a remake before it. In addition, due to the 3ds's increased graphical capabilities vs older Nintendo handhelds, and the existance of 3d resources for all pokemon (not to mention their use in the new MD game), they may be moving away from sprites. This big change could cause the game to be delayed a fair bit (Yes, I know the pokemon already are made, but there are also locations and characters to do). Therefore, discussing Gen 6 and Sm4sh for in the same context is most likely futile at this point in time. We can speculate Smash 4, we can speculate Gen 6, but speculating on connections won't be productive. It also isn't very fun, since instead of "Genesect vs. Zoroark", it's "Genesect vs. the unknown" (No, not the boss from Kingdom Hearts).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
i only say no TL because we dont need 2 links. get 1 link and give him TLs moveset. also i dont like tingle either but he has good reasons
You do need to remember though that Link and Toon Link are completely separate entities from different timelines. If they're not one in the same, then I don't see a reason to not have them both come back.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, remember that Sakurai considers Young/Toon Link the main Link, not the one from the first Smash game. Which means that regular Link is only in there because he was from the original Smash. Sakurai did not know Adult Link couldn't use the Boomerang. We would've most likely had Young Link with a different moveset in the first game according to what he believes. It's more of a fluke we got the adult version instead in actual reality.

Fun fact for the day. BTW, it worked out well that we kept regular Link anyway. It's easy to change out Young/Toon to a version with alternate abilities. Like Masked Link. It should be noted that the original Link moveset(with the Bow) was meant to be Young/Toon Link's moveset according to his statements. That's why he's still a clone. Even if Link is changed around, we most likely will see the same moveset for Young/Toon Link anyway. The same 4 moves, no matter what. Only Link really has any chance of having major B changes. He's not the true version, after all.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually I kinda support Mewtwo now, mainly because I want to people to shut up about it. I don't even want Mewtwo, but if you people want me to join your cult so desperately I'll support that embarrassment of a character. I won't like it at all, so don't expect me to kiss your feet or anything.

Sigh... On the bright side we'll at least have a dedicated punching bag on the roster. Peach can only take you so far, you know what I mean?

D

Deleted member

>Implying that Mewtwo fans are a cult.
>Implying Mewtwo fans want you to begrudgingly support him as opposed to simply stop stupidly insulting the character and his fans like a spoiled brat.
>Implying Mewtwo is an embarassment for no logical reason given.
>Implying Starfy won't get in to automatically be the dedicated punching bag.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because Mewtwo can't be in the same game as Genesect? Sorry, no reason why they couldn't both be together. Same as if it was Zoroark instead. Mewtwo is definitely primed to come back. Just not at the cost of anyone, since there's no reason to not have a 5th gen character in as is. Outside of Sakurai not finding anyone interesting, but there's viable choices.

Genesect, Zoroark, N, 5th Gen Trainer, Victini. They're all interesting choices as is. No reason that any couldn't be applicable at all. Hell, N could have the main dragon trio, where they'd be reasonable to fight, so fairly average, and not overpowered or anything.(not Mewtwo level, closer to what Mario was before Brawl, or whatever the mid-tier is)

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't bet on a 5th Gen Trainer.

At this point, it comes down to Zoroark vs. Genesect; whoever GameFreak might want to push more. Possibly Genesect, since it's still got some time before it becomes "out of date", so to speak. That, and it's popular competitively from what I've heard.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
...How the hell would N with Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem even work?

Also popularity in competitive Pokemon means jack in Super Smash Bros. It's like comparing elephants to squids, they're two different unrelated things.

D

Deleted member

I assume like Pokemon Trainer. However, the problem with that is that N has never owned BOTH Reshiram and Zekrom, and has never owned Kyurem.

EDIT: It may not mean jack for Smash Bros., but it means jack for Genesect, as it means its not likely to "fade away" like Victini did, thus providing a legitimate threat to Zoroark's current reign as the 5th Gen with the highest chance.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I assume like Pokemon Trainer. However, the problem with that is that N has never owned BOTH Reshiram and Zekrom, and has never owned Kyurem.
You're missing the point.

How the hell would controlling THREE GIANT DRAGONS function in a fighting game scene? At least with Bowser and Ridley they have the benefit of size inconsistency. Big name Legendary Pokemon like Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem lack such a privilege.

D

Deleted member

You're joking right? They are all within the 10 ft range. Bowser and Ridley have been MUCH larger than that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Who said competitively? Those are the most popular characters that people want for Smash. And I'm talking about making the three Legendaries not broken, just decent as a whole.

And it's as easy as shrinking them to reasonable levels. Like they can do with anyone. Olimar was given higher size, and fyi, he has no excuse either. He never was bigger outside of Smash.

Size is not an excuse.

The only problem I see are movesets. And so what if he never got all 3? Like Smash is ever accurate. :lol:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But seriously, THREE GIANT DRAGONS?

We're not talking Pikachu here, we're talking about Resiram and Zekrom and Kyurem. You can't simply shrink those guys to the size of Mario and get away with it.

D

Deleted member

Habanero. They're only 10 ****ing feet tall.
And no one said shrink to the size of Mario. That'd be stupid. Make them bigger than Bowser. You know, LIKE RIDLEY. Whatever larger size Ridley is compared to Bowser, make them that. Simple as that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yep. You can. Although slightly bigger than Bowser/Ridley size would be better. They don't have anything that makes them look bad as smaller either. They already look tiny with their regular sprites and still look fine.

Not buying size as an excuse. At all. I agree movesets wouldn't work too well, though.

Size has never ever been a legitimate reason. The fact they can shrink to be put into Poke Balls kind of disagrees with that in general, doesn't it?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Still, you wouldn't find it weird that Reshiram would be barely the size of Bowser? Especially with other Legendary Pokemon running around like Dialga and Groudon being more up to scale?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nope.

Because Smash has no consistent size. I'd find it no more weird than Kirby being the size of Jigglypuff. Oh, wait... they're not really the same size.

They're not actually huge. You want huge, go look at freakin' Wailord. Snorlax is actually presented smaller, despite being one of the biggest Pokemon ever. Pokemon is just plain weird size-wise.

Likewise, they're 9-10 feet tall. That's not as big as you think it is. Snorlax is also nearly 7 feet tall, and presented as beyond huge. You really can't make a good argument for size in Smash here.

D

Deleted member

Still, you wouldn't find it weird that Reshiram would be barely the size of Bowser? Especially with other Legendary Pokemon running around like Dialga and Ground more up to scale?
Groudon isn't up to scale. He's LARGER than canon size.
Hell, he's larger than Dialga in Brawl, and Dialga's supposed to be 6 feet larger than Groudon!

And again, both Hyper and I said LARGER THAN BOWSER. Is it that hard to read?

@Hyper: Snorlax is one of the heaviest, not the largest. Snorlax is only 6 ft tall. Better example would be Onix in Smash 64.

EDIT: To be fair, Hyper, Snorlax appears at around a normal size when it comes out of the Poke Ball. It just inexplicably grows huge shortly after.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I said more up to scale, not exactly. Still, a 5 foot Reshiram seems really awkward when it's godly brethren are not like that too. There is a reason why some consistency is needed to prevent awkwardness. Also

Seriously, I'm not the guy that use the size argument and fact, but we're talking about RESHIRAM, ZEKROM, AND KYUREM AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS. You can't exactly get away with something like that without someone raising an eyebrow.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm talking about his ability, where he's huge/gigantic with his Body Slam. That's the "huge" part. Sorry for not being clear.

But that still shows my point. Size doesn't matter in Smash, and never honestly did. And true with Onix. He's far bigger according to the games anyway. And yes isn't beyond big in Smash overall. Likewise, we're talking about slightly bigger than Bowser at best.

@Habenero: Oh, you mean where people can make legitimate teams like that in the regular Black/White games? ...Yeah, sure, that's eyebrow-raising worthy. Yes, they very much can be together. If anything, taking out Kyurem for Zoroark would be fair, but that's it. The rest fit since N uses both of them overall. It's just better to use the final dragon of the trio than the random non-Legendary.

D

Deleted member

Better idea. You can only use one of the two main dragons, but you select which one on the select screen similar to selecting which Pokemon of PT to start with, and they are psuedo-clones of each other.
That way, it better reflects the games where the choice of game decides whether N is the Hero of Truth or Hero of Ideals. (And since when you initially fight him in B2/W2, he only has the dragon to fight with depending on the game)

EDIT: And N defaults to Zekrom due to various media typically portraying him with it rather than Reshiram.

@Habanero: Like Ridley? He's been much larger than those dragons, even within Smash's canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom