• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

On the subject of wavedashing and snaking.
I'm sure this argument gets brought up all the time, but keep in mind that Comboing back in the original Street Fighter was an unintended glitch, yet today, it remains a core mechanic of ALL fighting games, including Smash Bros.

2nd, wavedashing wasn't as broken as you guys like to play it out. It was only as good as the player using it. I've seen and taken down many wavedashers wthout bothering to use the mechanic myself. Not ALL characters benefit from WD even if they CAN use it, point in case: Marth.

Also not surprisingly, a lot of people on 4chan love the idea of Bayonetta in Super Smash Bros. and claim it's guaranteed to happen.

Then again the place is filled to the brim with morons, so this isn't surprising. The waifu thing also might explain why Bayonetta has more of a cult there but no where else.
I think the deal with Bayonetta is that people are looking for the next Snake. The next character that will blow people's minds when revealed. From what I know, 4channers don't consider Bayonetta waifu material, she's too much of a ****, being a stripper witch and all.

Remember, waifu's are supposed to be pure and innocent.

If we look for vidya-waifu's it tends to be more along the lines of: Skyward Sword Zelda, ZSuit Samus, ALL of the BlazBlue girls, most notably Noel, Baiken from GG, almost ALL of the Rance Girls, most Fire Emblem girls, mostly Eirika, Nepheene, Mia, Lyn, and most recently Sallya:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us etc...

Anyway, on the subject of Bayonetta, she's got as much a chance as Snake did back in Brawl. She would sort of be that WOW factor that would reel in people once again, albeit not as shocking as Snake was. Remember the sucker punch only works once.

I think that's something we gotta keep in mind about the Smash Franchise. As I said earlier Shiggy already mentioned GX was the pinnacle of F-Zero. This can be extrapolated to the Smash Franchise, Melee was the absolute best, and Brawl the most surprising. We shouldn't look at SSB4 hoping that it will be better than Melee, or that the reveals will be as mind-blowing as Brawl's. Especially with the reveals, as we're already looking in all nooks and crannies for ANY character that could potentially make the cut.

partial nudity, lol. I don't know if you ever noticed this but characters like Pokemon and Sonic are like already half naked.

And surely you can't tell me Zero Suit Samus outfit is a little bit too revealing.
This, I think the sex appeal and the like wouldn't be too much of an issue. Likewise with the guns; they could make Bayo a close range gun user like Noel in BlazBlue.

For those who don't play BB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-UCdZ7cLC0

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Baiken would cut your throat in a ****ing heartbeat. She even looks mean.

How in the hell is she waifu material? Lol Don't even say she's tsundere. Just...don't, man.

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

Baiken would cut your throat in a ****ing heartbeat. She even looks mean.

How in the hell is she waifu material? Lol Don't even say she's tsundere. Just...don't, man.

Smooth Criminal
I dunno dude, I really don't. The only appeal I can see is that she's like a girl Kenshin, and for that reason resembles Fire Emblem's Lyn.

Or perhaps she appeals to the masochists.

I liked her character design in GG, but if we're looking for Sex appeal, Dizzy, Jam and May were all superior.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The irony is that people expecting the surprise wouldn't make it much of a surprise. Surprises are, you know, supposed to be surprising. That's the reason why Sonic felt slightly more underwhelming when he was first revealed, because of Snake basically opening the flood gates for third party characters and EVERYONE jumping on the Sonic bandwagon.

Even though Sonic lacked more of a surprise factor, he defiantly brought in the hype. He brought in the hype that may not be emulated ever again. October 9th, 2007 was the day the whole internet imploded twice.

D

Deleted member

The irony is that people expecting the surprise wouldn't make it much of a surprise. Surprises are, you know, supposed to be surprising. That's the reason why Sonic felt slightly more underwhelming when he was first revealed, because of Snake basically opening the flood gates for third party characters and EVERYONE jumping on the Sonic bandwagon.

Even though Sonic lacked more of a surprise factor, he defiantly brought in the hype. He brought in the hype that may not be emulated ever again. October 9th, 2007 was the day the whole internet imploded twice.
Agreed, that was basically the point I was trying to make.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

For many players, the day Sonic was revealed to be a character in Brawl was the most important day of their lifes. But for Sakurai... it was Tuesday.

I was very surprised by Sonic's inclusion at the time, but looking back, it really doesn't impress much. now, don't misinterpret this as me not liking Sonic. it was really nice to have both Snake and Sonic in Smash and I'd like to have them appear again in SSB4.

what happened that day will be really hard to top. the hype Brawl got was something I never seen before, and I have my doubts that it'll happen again in SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Possibly the only thing that can top Sonic's reveal in hype would be the reveal of Mewtwo's return.
But even then, it would still probably pale in comparison.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Possibly the only thing that can top Sonic's reveal in hype would be the reveal of Mewtwo's return.
But even then, it would still probably pale in comparison.
Hardly, everyone knows Mewtwo is bound to return and we know more or less what his moveset will be because it was already unique in Melee. What would create hype is a popular character that people consider (near)-impossible, something crazy like Banjo, Cloud/Sephiroth(which would go along with a FF7 HD remake on WiiU), Arkham Batman,...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hardly, everyone knows Mewtwo is bound to return and we know more or less what his moveset will be because it was already unique in Melee. What would create hype is a popular character that people consider (near)-impossible, something crazy like Banjo, Cloud/Sephiroth(which would go along with a FF7 HD remake on WiiU), Arkham Batman,...
NATHAN DRAKE THE IMPOSSIBLE!!! :troll:

D

Deleted member

Everyone knew Sonic was bound to be in Brawl, yet there was still maxed hype when he was revealed.
What you're describing is more along the order of Snake, which was shock factor, not absolute hype.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Everyone knew Sonic was bound to be in Brawl, yet there was still maxed hype when he was revealed.
What you're describing is more along the order of Snake, which was shock factor, not absolute hype.
Slime. One half of the world is hyped, the other half is bewildered.

I cannot think of anything to top the Snake reveal in the original trailer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Probably the closest thing that would match Sonic'd hype would be Mega Man at this point. Arguably Ridley for people in the west.

For surprise factor, probably something really out of the left field from Namco like Jin Kazama from Tekken or Cress Albane from Tales. Maybe even Dig Dug, because everyone loves that game.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Honestly I think any Super Smash Bros trailer will hype people up on its own. There does not even need to third party characters. Think about it, what are most people going to want to see next E3? Super Smash Bros.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well of course people want Super Smash Bros., why else would everyone be speculating on what will happen? But we were referring to individual characters in the game that would bring in the hype, not just third party but in general.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think any Super Smash Bros trailer will hype people up on its own. There does not even need to third party characters. Think about it, what are most people going to want to see next E3? Super Smash Bros.
The Wii U's 3D Mario game, the new Zelda game, hands-on Bayonetta2(hehe), AwesomeNewIP, older Nintendo franchise returning(F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox),... There's a hell of a lot to look forward to for E3/TGS/PAX Nintendo wise. They need to show the awesome things they have in store for their players to go up against the soon arriving consoles of Sony and Microsoft.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well of course people want Super Smash Bros., why else would everyone be speculating on what will happen? But we were referring to individual characters in the game that would bring in the hype, not just third party but in general.
What I'm saying is the very nature of the trailer itself will cause whatever character is shown to be "hype inducing". In essence, it really does not matter who is shown, because any new character will just about do it for most of us at this point.

The Wii U's 3D Mario game, the new Zelda game, hands-on Bayonetta2(hehe), AwesomeNewIP, older Nintendo franchise returning(F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox),... There's a hell of a lot to look forward to for E3/TGS/PAX Nintendo wise. They need to show the awesome things they have in store for their players to go up against the soon arriving consoles of Sony and Microsoft.
Meh, Super Smash Bros is still where its at.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only thing that could top the Snake in Brawl reveal in Smash WiiU/3DS would be a Zero Suit Snake reveal! :troll:
@Johnknight: If you have to do all that, it misses the point. Doing a lot of stuff for your items is what makes it what it is. I'm fine with how it was done in general, and I would hate if Mario went the route of a super collectathon. It isn't a Mario game anymore. Leave it to the rpg's, really. The 3D games can stay a bit more basic. I like them how they're doing it. Not too many things to collect, but still a very good amount. As long as the mini-games aren't all terrible, it's good.(Oy, Sunshine had some bad levels, stupid Pachinko Level...)
I was talking about 3D Donkey Kong, not 3D Mario, in case I wasn't clear. Personally, I would rather have "finishing levels" be the focus on a 3D Donkey Kong game like 2D Donkey Kong games via getting to "the finish line" instead of "collecting stuff to beat the game." I don't mind a change of that every once in a while, but really, collecting stuff shouldn't be the focus. For 100%(+)'ing the game it can have a role, but not as a huge factor in a main story if the game wants to live up to the 2D Donkey Kong standards.
And most of all, make Cranky a playable character, I want to beat the game in an hour and using one life:awesome:
Oh man that would be freaking epic to play as Cranky Kong!
totally agree, N64 had the greatest assortment of IPs for Nintendo (arguably NES or SNES but w.e). there was something for everyone and each was done really well. now it kinda feels like 100 Mario games with some Zelda and some smaller IPs sprinkled on it. Oh and Pokemon
You forgot Metroid and Smash Bros, both of which IMO are far away the best single-player/multi-player franchises Nintendo has going for them. Also, we've gotten quite a few new IPs. Pikmin, Animal Crossing (well, outside of Japan it's new at least), and loads of RPGs. Oh, and F-Zero GX. That game kicked smash! :shades:
Horsetail: Pretty much anyone that worked on GX should come back for future installments.
Anyone who worked on F-Zero GX IMO is a genius, and probably deserves a promotion and/or a pay raise.
Betting anything to Dust would be pointless. He's dreadfully wrong on most if not all his "facts", and he doesn't seem to be the type that would pay up.
Reminds me of the guy in the Diddy Kong thread who I bet $50 that Diddy Kong would be playable. The dude disappeared from SmashBoards shortly after. Expect similar results.

D

Deleted member

Probably the closest thing that would match Sonic'd hype would be Mega Man at this point.
You're all missing the point, but THIS is the best answer. There really WON'T be another Snake-like surprise for SSB4, and you shouldn't expect there to be one. Why? Because like we said, this time around, we're expecting it, thus it's impossible for anything to really shock us as long as Sakurai sticks with his rules from Brawl, and he most likely will.

The characters who, sort of come close to that sort of unexpected shock factor are: Bayonetta, Simon Belmont, KOS-MOS, a SF rep, Sora/Riku/Crono/FF rep, Travis Touchdown (sort of) and Banjo. In fact Banjo would be the only one to cause a HUGE ****storm the like of Snake's due to a combination of hidden demand, and the impossibility of it happening.

In other words, the characters who can cause that shocking uproar are the ones with the lowest chances. Why? Because Snake's chances were microscopic, thus when he was revealed it blew people's minds how it would even be possible.

On the Sonic side, the only one who can compare is the Blue Bomber. 3rd Party, high demand+hype, if he gets in, it'd be out of demand alone, etc...

Reminds me of the guy in the Diddy Kong thread who I bet $50 that Diddy Kong would be playable. The dude disappeared from SmashBoards shortly after. Expect similar results.
But Diddy Kong IS playable. Anyway, God forbid people get on the internet and tell lies...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At this point, even the likes of Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby will create mass hype. We just haven't seen anything yet.

D

Deleted member

Hasn't the game been in production longer than Brawl was by now?

D

Deleted member

IIRC, Brawl had been in development for a year before the first trailer/reveal.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, and the game was announced two years ago, but didn't start development till after Kid Icarus was released, which was... March of THIS year.

So assuming we get a trailer by E3 2013, then SSB4 will have been in development a little longer than Brawl was before the trailer.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just wish it could come faster already. Last one didn't do us any justice in means of huge expectations IMO. (EXPECT PIKMIN 3 and I guess NintendoLand. And oh, many good 3rd party announcements.)

Or just give us SOME details already...

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
At this point, even the likes of Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby will create mass hype.
I've joked that they should start up a trailer and make it look like a new Mario Golf or Tennis or something, but then have Link, Pikachu and Kirby show up. At first everybody would be like: "WTF, why's Link in Mario Golf?" But then Link would draw the Master Sword, Pikachu's cheeks would crackle with electricity and Kirby would start sucking stuff up and everybody would be like:

"WOOOOO, SUPER SMASH BROTHERS! WOOOOOO!"

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I've joked that they should start up a trailer and make it look like a new Mario Golf or Tennis or something, but then have Link, Pikachu and Kirby show up. At first everybody would be like: "WTF, why's Link in Mario Golf?" But then Link would draw the Master Sword, Pikachu's cheeks would crackle with electricity and Kirby would start sucking stuff up and everybody would be like:

That's would b awesome

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just wish it could come faster already. Last one didn't do us any justice in means of huge expectations IMO. (EXPECT PIKMIN 3 and I guess NintendoLand. And oh, many good 3rd party announcements.)

Or just give us SOME details already...
patience is a virtue... I'm sure they will show something sooner or later, likely at E3. we just need patience.

that would be unexpected, indeed. but what if somebody liked Mario Golf/Tennis more than Smash and got caught in that surprise? but anyway, it would confirm a Mario Golf/Tennis stage for the game.

peeup

Smash Lord
that would be unexpected, indeed. but what if somebody liked Mario Golf/Tennis more than Smash and got caught in that surprise? but anyway, it would confirm a Mario Golf/Tennis stage for the game.
Firstly, i dont think that person exist. Secondly, not necessarily true. The original smash64 commercial had all the folks beatin each other up in a random field not seen in the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
patience is a virtue... I'm sure they will show something sooner or later, likely at E3. we just need patience.

Worse yet, it would make people think Waluigi is confirmed.

peeup

Smash Lord
Its ok once Smash 4 comes out all internet problems will get solved and all those extra posts will get magnificently deleted in a beautiful rapture of nintendo holiness.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
had this same problem in another thread... -_- but instead of 5 posts... I had 7!

oh well...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Move Little Mac to retro. Other then that, I have no problems with that roster. (just noticed that the DK series has two new reps lol)

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom