• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Just gonna point out the one major tournament with items didn't have Meta-Knight in the top 8.
People were figuring out which characters were the viable at the time. If I remember correctly, Game and Watch, ICs and Falco were thought to be the best during those days but Snake, Wolf (lolwut) and MK were getting a lot of attention. You're using a tournament where the controversial ruleset kept away MANY players (including renowned players) in a time where the competitive community was still figuring out many things.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I have the worst luck with items everything explodes. I'm surprised the Sticker Sheets don't explode on impact too. Lol.

Items have their place and no items have their place. Regardless how you choose to play: Time, Coin, Stamina, Lightning, Invisible, Tiny, with Items or without. Its all Super Smash Bros.

I don't think SSB is defined by 1 match type, otherwise we wouldn't have the option to play with all these various match types otherwise.

This is a stupid discussion... :ohwell:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
The problem is that most players do not play that way. 4vs, no items, maybe. But not 1v1 no items. Since less than 1% of the player bases even plays that way, it makes no sense to balance everything around that.
Not really, as when you find out about characters strengths and weaknesses, you can make items that can help characters

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I have the worst luck with items everything explodes. I'm surprised the Sticker Sheets don't explode on impact too. Lol.

Items have their place and no items have their place. Regardless how you choose to play. Coin, Stamina, Lightning, Invisible, Items or none. Its all Super Smash Bros. I don't think SSB is defined by 1 match type, otherwise we wouldn't have the option to play with all these various match types otherwise.
I think that's the "magic" of Smash, it's because there are many ways to play it.

I even remember that the Melee instruction booklet had some suggestions on creating your own rules for Smash. (At least the European version had.)

Those who impose their rules on other players, be them "casual" or "competitive" are nothing but scrubs, shoving their short sighted views on the others, thinking their they're better than anyone else. What was the word...? Arrogance? I think that's a fitting word for such behavior.

That said... I'm outta here!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think that's the "magic" of Smash, it's because there are many ways to play it.

I even remember that the Melee instruction booklet had some suggestions on creating your own rules for Smash. (At least the European version had.)

Those who impose their rules on other players, be them "casual" or "competitive" are nothing but scrubs, shoving their short sighted views on the others, thinking their they're better than anyone else. What was the word...? Arrogance? I think that's a fitting word for such behavior.

That said... I'm outta here!
Exactly, even Mario Kart gives you the option to play with or without items.
Heck it gives you the options to make your own Cup.
That's the reason why both games of the like are so successful. They appeal to everyone, rather than narrowing it's market to the extremely casual or competitive.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario Kart is slightly less fun without items. Smash is extremely less fun WITH items.

Now change the damn subject.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't mind items. Their fun. Except Brawl's items. I alway's stay the heck away from every single one of them. I swear they all blow up on me! Even Mr. Saturn, yet my opponents all get scott free. Okay I was a little sarcastic but seriously it happens more often than not. And dont get me started on the broken and squeeky hammers... ¬_¬

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Now change the damn subject.
Would people be alright with an "EX" feature where you can switch between the original character to an alternate version of the character with altered attributes like the clones in Melee? It would be one way to squeeze in characters without wasting slots.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

EX mode seems good enough for me for certain characters.

Ideas:

Mario - Dr.Mario
Link (Skyward Sword) - Link (Zelda Wii U)
Zelda / Impa - Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf - Demise
Mewtwo - 'Newtwo'

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Wait, how about the best Pokemon ever known to humankind:

Discuss :3

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If Namco and Nintendo are super BFFs now then how come the console version of Ni No Kuni is a PS3 exclusive when it originally came out in the DS.
Idk that is odd... I didn't even know it came out on the DS previously. It's the same thing with Kingdom Hearts with Sony and Nintendo. 1 and 2 were exclusive at the time on the PS2 now all these titles are found on the GBA, DS and 3DS

Both companies probably waved some cash around to get it exclusive on their consoles.
It's like 2 kids who dislike each other, but share the same best friend, and fighting over whose house the neutral best friend should come over for the weekend.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Man, I remember when I was a kid I made a roster for a "DC vs Marvel" game, but I guess I don't have it
:(

It had batman beyond for a character too
:sadeyes:

D

Deleted member

I adore Arcanine, it's majestic as ****.
It's been my favorite Pokemon since Gen 1. I loved the buffs he got in B2/W2. Dat Outrage. Every game I can catch one in I make sure to get one.

I like how the thread improved once SmashChu left, lmao.
I was gonna comment on how disapponted I was that a decent discussion was thrown down the dumpster the moment SmashChu popped in, but the last thing I need is someone telling me to stop picking on Chu.

I swear that guy is just here to troll people. He literally pops in to start a ****storm, has his laughs, and the walks out leaving everyone running around like decapitated chickens.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Why not? It's not like it's alienating anything by balancing like that; in fact it's easily the best way to dissect how characters fair against what. You can still use all of the gimmicks you want, but using the gimmicks as the basis is not the way to go.
It's a part of the game like everything else. Like I said. Less than 1 percent of players play 1v1 no items, so why balance the game that way. It makes no sense. (For the record, Brawl sold about 10.6 million. 1 percent is 106,000. Smash Boards has a few more members, though a good deal of them do not play competitively).
Not really, as when you find out about characters strengths and weaknesses, you can make items that can help characters
Good point. Even still, 1v1 wont give you realistic balance. I could agree that 4vs with no items is OK.

Would people be alright with an "EX" feature where you can switch between the original character to an alternate version of the character with altered attributes like the clones in Melee? It would be one way to squeeze in characters without wasting slots.
So, basically, you'd have clones without having clones.
Pretty bad idea if you ask me.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Though our favorite Pokemon vary (obviously :( )
I think we can ALL agree that the following is a menace, and overall disgrace to the Pokemon franchise:

D

Deleted member

Goddammnit... Guess I spoke too soon.

Ah well, **** it.

Though our favorite Pokemon vary (obviously :( )
I think we can ALL agree that the following is a menace, and overall disgrace to the Pokemon franchise:

If I recall correctly, Ice types are still very meh. My Arcanine would have a field day with that thing.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This is an AMAZING idea. I have no idea why more fighter(lookin' at you, Capcom) don't do this anymore. I could easily see Mairo getting a "Doc" mode, falco's Melee moveset being an EX-mode for either Fox or Falco, and Ganondorf and Toon Link getting clone and non-clone modes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh and since we already are on the topic of DAWNKEY KAWNG and Wombo Combo, I present you: KONGO COMBO:

Also, confession time: I to use items.

Cause my main throws bananas with his Down B attack :diddy: :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Vanilluxe is actually one of my favorite Pokemon by virtue of being ice cream. I love ice cream! But unfortunately, it's not that amazing considering it's move pool is pretty one dimensional.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
See, BKupa knows what's good

Water types all day errday bishes
Fire types is where it's at. If Donkey Kong Country has taught me anything it's Monkeys > Reptiles
There for Infernape > Feraligatr!
Fire types fo life! Soo-woo!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Goddammnit... Guess I spoke too soon.

Ah well, **** it.

If I recall correctly, Ice types are still very meh. My Arcanine would have a field day with that thing.
Ahem

But yeah, i agree. I only really like Lapras and Spheal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom