• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well yes I am aware that we have our... "desires" so to speak. But then there are those desires that make you question their mentality that you wouldn't get by sight alone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I had Diddy, yet I was VERY looking forward co-maining an improved Mewtwo. And Ike. Those 3 where supposed to be my mains. Now it's just Diddy. But I still have a sexy DK on the side which I LOVE to wreck havock with. Really, I just love playing as Donkey Kong in Brawl. He just feels so smooth, and all hits are so satisfying. Hopefully this remains in Smash 4.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I should totally jump on the bandwagon and change my avatar to Manly's drawing.

Anyway, I do like Wolf and Lucas as they are...It's just that people scare the **** outta me when they say both (especially Lucas) are very likely going to be cut. I'm prepared to let them go, of course, but for me it probably won't feel the same without Lucas. He brought some personality, y'know.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, I guess it's just the general spite towards clones, even though Wolf and Lucas are clones in name only. People may say otherwise, but those two do play drastically different from Fox and Ness respectively.

By the way, Lucas in Project M is badass. Offense Up and his combo game are so fun to toy with.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can someone please post the drawing Manly made? I missed a lot I think...

Also, yeah Lucas' Offense Up in Project M is badass! I hope Mewtwo gets something similar for Down B in this one actually...

D

Deleted member

Well yes I am aware that we have our... "desires" so to speak. But then there are those desires that make you question their mentality that you wouldn't get by sight alone.
The only time to question the mentality is when the person confuses "desires" with "reality", thinking that because they desire someone, they expect them to happen (the opposite can be true, however, in that prejudice can blind someone from the truth).
Best example:
Person A would like Goku being in Smash. Person A does not expect Goku to be in Smash because he does not fit within Sakurai's guidelines for guests. Person A has nothing wrong with him.
Person B would like Goku being in Smash. Person B believes that Goku will be in Smash because he's so awesome and everyone that says he won't be in is wrong. Person B has something wrong with him.

Both people want to see Goku in Smash, but only one is messed up regardless of how you, I, or anyone else feels about their desired character in question.
Simply liking something you don't =/= questionable mentality.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Person B is a horrible person, and he deserves to be eaten alive by wild bears.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Okay, so for all the people I asked about visiting K. Rool's thread, I'll share my conspiracy. I am well aware that this may sound astronomically stupid, and maybe arrogant also, but I'm seeing some weird things with the thread lately, particularly regarding the number of views it has.

When I left for vacation last Saturday, the thread had roughly 42,000 views, or about 10,000 views below the Ridley thread. Now, just nine days later, the K. Rool thread views have gone up by roughly 27,000, into the 69,000 range. Even today, two hours ago, when I started formulating this theory before track practice, the thread had 69,050 views. It currently has 69,531 views. By comparison, the Ridley thread had around 52,000 views last Saturday, and now has roughly 54,500...a reasonable amount of growth, in my opinion.

The number of Internet users visiting the thread is skyrocketing at an absurd pace that doesn't match up with how frequently this board's users seem to view it, especially considering FalKoopa had to bump it off of the second page during the week these views started flooding in. In addition, I have not seen my thread linked to sites like GameFAQs, NeoGaf or Reddit...there's a possibility it could have reached 4Chan, but even then, when Shortie's poll only got boosted by a few hundred from being posted there, this too seems unlikely.

I also feel the need to point out the number of guests I've started seeing in K. Rool's thread, compared to the number of guests I see in other character threads. Last Thursday and Friday, before I left, I would see 2-3 guests sitting in the thread at random, nothing unusual. Now, as I started typing this post, my thread had 6 guests; it now has 9 guests. I popped into every other character thread on the front page before typing this, lingering for a while on the larger ones (Ridley, Waluigi, Palutena, etc.) to see how many guests they received in comparison; none received above 2, and most had a flat 0.

Now, to the point. I have heard speculation previously that, pre-Brawl, members of Nintendo visited these forums, specifically Gimpyfish's E-4-All analysis thread, where he listed the returning advanced techniques from Melee in the conference's demo (namely L-Canceling if I remember correctly), and modified the game accordingly to 'level the playing field' (or one of Sakurai's other casual colloquialisms). In addition, as ChronoBound has stated multiple times, Smash World Forums is essentially the last remaining reputable Smash speculation site, and is easily the largest to boot. This knowledge, in combination with my thread's views inexplicably skyrocketing due to an unusually high number of guests, leads me to ponder whether members of Nintendo are viewing my thread, and have been for the past week, for their own purposes.

Yeah, completely out-of-left-field, right? There are a host of potential alternative explanations, the most obvious of which is that users from both this site and others have just now discovered the thread, are flocking to it, and lingering it in in droves. Perhaps they are from a large site that often features flocking members, such as the aforementioned 4Chan. Other less likely explanations could be that Smash World Forums is glitching, that the same variety of bot that led to Dunsparce and Skull Kid dominating last summer's Smash poll have reached my thread, or that this is a subtle April Fool's Day prank from some SWF higher-ups. But regardless, I think my logic is fairly sound here, and that what is happening to K. Rool's thread is objectively strange. I'm interested in hearing your guys' take on it, in any case.
Interesting thought. I think the one thing to ask is how often would Nintendo employees visit here in general? It may give credence to your claim. I'm also interested in the E for all thing you mentioned.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Interesting thought. I think the one thing to ask is how often would Nintendo employees visit here in general? It may give credence to your claim. I'm also interested in the E for all thing you mentioned.
Here is Gimpyfish's thread, which actually lists a whole truckload of gameplay impressions about Brawl's 2007 E-4-All Demo, among which includes the bit about L-Canceling. Someone with more seniority than myself can probably discuss the Nintendo aspect more accurately; the only definite theorized Nintendo visit of which I've heard is that they checked that thread and used it as a base for 'distilling' the demo's gameplay.

Theory aside, it's a cool enough read anyhow, especially for those who remember reading it at the time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A Nintendo conspiracy, eh? Well, we cannot say anything at the moment but I would not be surprised if official staff have at least looked around the internet for possible ideas on what would and wouldn't work. I mean, with something like Super Smash Bros. knowing the audience is a pretty big deal.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, it's like that feeling when you try to back stab someone by parodying how they act, but then you start to question yourself due to being in their position for a second. Like, you know how they feel and you start to feel a little guilty.

Again, not exactly sure at this point. My mind is a bit of a blur at the moment.
I have no idea if you're joking or not. You probably are, but for the heck of it...As a supporter of Roy (and Dr. Mario to a certain degree) hearing this made me a bit happy inside. It's compassion, y'know. I understand when people say they don't want Roy. As long as there not being jerks about it, and act mature brining up legitimate arguments, I understand where they're coming from. I don't want this to turn into a FE discussion, so I'll stop. and if you're joking, I know that I just made a fool of myself lol?

@Diddy
These are the most recent ones. I could see if I can dig up older ones...

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
In all honesty, I wouldn't have a problem with Person B even when taking into consideration their entitlement issues.

I guess because since I was like that myself at one point, I can identify with them and not judge them

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks. And yes please dig up the others if you could. :)

In all honesty, I wouldn't have a problem with Person B even when taking into consideration their entitlement issues.

I guess because since I was like that myself at one point, I can identify with them and not judge them
No that's not the correct answer.

Bears.

Alive.

Eaten.

:secretkpop:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I'd say pit the bears and penguins togheter and make them duke it out.

Also, gaint tarantulas. Just because. :estatic:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Better idea, arm the bears and penguins with fire arms and explosives.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Here is Gimpyfish's thread, which actually lists a whole truckload of gameplay impressions about Brawl's 2007 E-4-All Demo, among which includes the bit about L-Canceling. Someone with more seniority than myself can probably discuss the Nintendo aspect more accurately; the only definite theorized Nintendo visit of which I've heard is that they checked that thread and used it as a base for 'distilling' the demo's gameplay.

Theory aside, it's a cool enough read anyhow, especially for those who remember reading it at the time.
I did see it back in the day (had to find everything about the game, you know). I'm interested if Nintendo actually saw it (and even went the other way).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
According to most, there where a lot of tweaks in the final game that Gimpyfish suggested. So it seems they listened.

But of coarse they completely forgot to nerf MetaKnight... :facepalm:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
According to most, there where a lot of tweaks in the final game that Gimpyfish suggested. So it seems they listened.

But of coarse they completely forgot to nerf MetaKnight... :facepalm:
Yeah, we just have to wonder whether the tweaks suggested were obvious to Nintendo without the thread, which is also a possibility.

Also, to amend my conspiracy slightly after some thought, it seems unusual that, if 25,000-27,000 views came from the K. Rool thread being linked to a popular site, not a single new user (or non-regular contributor) popped in to say 'i always wanted krool in smash!!!' or 'I'd like the guy, but the fact that he's a Rare character makes his chances zilch.' Makes it seem more as though there's some sort of collective secrecy behind the views, rather than an influx of potential fans.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh yeah that's true. Wish they finished what they started though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He mains Ganondorf though. How could he not see it?

Unless...

These where just friendlies though; never that a Ganondorf player could 'actually' win a real tournament-based battle (2 wins in a row or 2-1 at least).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I just noticed...Manly's drawing of Star reminds me if a humanoid Moltres and the phoenix guy from the anime Katanagatari meet.
[collapse=Phoenix dude]
[/collapse]
I'm probably the only one that sees this...and knows about the anime ^^" ehh you know what I'm talking about, right Manly? Or maybe not...ignore me!

Sakurai mains Ganon because he is...ENTERTAINER!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, we just have to wonder whether the tweaks suggested were obvious to Nintendo without the thread, which is also a possibility.

Also, to amend my conspiracy slightly after some thought, it seems unusual that, if 25,000-27,000 views came from the K. Rool thread being linked to a popular site, not a single new user (or non-regular contributor) popped in to say 'i always wanted krool in smash!!!' or 'I'd like the guy, but the fact that he's a Rare character makes his chances zilch.' Makes it seem more as though there's some sort of collective secrecy behind the views, rather than an influx of potential fans.
Yeah man, if your earlier idea about the thread not being linked to other sites was incorrect, we should've had an influx of this. At least tons of "people" from Gamefaqs, or users from elsewhere popping in to give support. But nope. It's a very interesting development, although we should totally grain of salt it until we can know more...

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Alright, anything we can disagree on? I need to disagree on something once in awhile.

Besides this whole Chrom thing.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure megaman will be in SSB4 that's why he wasn't in Marvel cause SSB stole him

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Alright, anything we can disagree on? I need to disagree on something once in awhile.

Besides this whole Chrom thing.
Should Smash Bros. include techniques from other fighting games such as strings, changed shield mechanics, cancelings, air dashes traditional combos, etc. while maintaining a distinct sense of identity for the series?

So has anyone thought of naming your caricatures? I'm naming mine Bàozhú.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom