• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, air dashes in particular could help benefit characters with limited mobility like Bowser and Ganondorf while also opening up opportunities for approaching for pretty much everyone.Generally speaking those mechanics would at least benefit in some way, unlike random tripping.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Should Smash Bros. include techniques from other fighting games
Overall, most definitely. But it's about taking moreso the essence of something, and incorperating it into smash. Not literally adding the exact mechanic, because Smash simply cannot handle a lot of the mechanics based on how you KO and junk. 0 to KO is not smash, and never should be. At least in terms of combo strings.

Yes, to an extent. They shouldn't be too long of strings. And a lot of tech chasing should still happen. The strings can't be too long IMO, and the person being combo'd should have various exit strategies once a combo is finished. Or, if you want long combos to be possible, add a combo breaker move.

changed shield mechanics,
Improved, not changed.

cancelings,
Yes, but again, in a way that Smash can utilize it.

air dashes
Maybe character specific? Unless that would make them OP, if it would, than either everyone, or no one gets them.

traditional combos,
Yes, to an extent. And mold it around how Smash plays.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I might like a few changes, just not a whole lot.
I am just like that.
Come on, I want to see some confliction.

How do you feel about Smash taking a six button approach? Virtua Fighter has three buttons: Punch, Kick, and Guard and you get P, K, G (Guard), P+G (throw), P+K, K+G, and P+K+G (special stance moves) button combinations. Compare this to Smash Bros. That has Attack, Special, and Shield. More buttons with proper mapping can help increase the diversity.

@Shorts
I was thinking more along the lines of Tekken's strings (bar the useless 10 hit combos). This would be fitting for characters like Little Mac and Krystal who'd be more fleshed out with this. However, I do agree that there needs to be tech chasing in the combos as that's definitely a Smash staple. Still, I don't think every move needs DI and that the DI paths must be limited to a handful.

With shields, I'm thinking something where the shield is smaller (about half the same it is now), but it doesn't shrink, only breaks after a while. I think cancelings will definitely find their home in Smash. They just need to be deliberate cancelings and not mechanic byproducts like wavedashing (so they look more deliberate).

I think given the size of stages along with the aerial emphasis, every character needs air dashes instead of select characters. On traditional combos, see what I said on strings.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you wanna see conflict.

Ridley vs. K. Rool

Palutena vs. Dixie Kong

Tingle vs. Krystal

Mewtwo vs. Roy

Shulk vs. Saki

Little Mac vs. Isaac

Toad vs. Bandana Dee

Megaman vs. Sonic

Lucario vs. Poke Newcomer

Snake vs. Layton

Chrom vs. Ike

who do you pick, and why? I've drank some goose to get loose, so I'm ready for anything. also, wasn't goose. Was Kraken rum. and did a triple shot because alcoholism.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Button combination expansion would have to take liberties based around the controller itself. For the sake of argument, let's just say the Wii U with the Wii U Pro Controller. Unlike the Gamecube controller, it introduces duel L and R buttons akin to a typical Xbox 360 controller and the right analog stick and ABXL buttons swapped. It should be familiar to those that use an Xbox 360 controller.

Alright here are several ways to expand possible button combinations. One simple way to do this is to regulate the Y button to strong attacks and the A button to weak attacks, similar to more traditional fighting games. Another way to expand this is to use the special button (B) and ether the weak (A) or strong (Y) to ether use more powerful versions of the special attacks or use something new, similar to Lucario in Project M.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Ridley
Palutena
Tingle
Mewtwo
Saki
Little Mac (you have isaac twice)
Bandana Dee
Lucario
Layton
Ike (shouldn't this be chrom)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Button combination expansion would have to take liberties based around the controller itself. For the sake of argument, let's just say the Wii U with the Wii U Pro Controller. Unlike the Gamecube controller, it introduces duel L and R buttons akin to a typical Xbox 360 controller and the right analog stick and ABXL buttons swapped. It should be familiar to those that use an Xbox 360 controller.

Alright here are several ways to expand possible button combinations. One simple way to do this is to regulate the Y button to strong attacks and the A button to weak attacks, similar to more traditional fighting games. Another way to expand this is to use the special button (B) and ether the weak (A) or strong (Y) to ether use more powerful versions of the special attacks or use something new, similar to Lucario in Project M.
I think the one limitation is that we have to take the 3DS into account as well. This leaves us with six buttons with there probably having to be a jump button and the shield button on the shoulder buttons. This probably leaves us with a four button setup of ATK 1, 2, 3, and Special.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think the one limitation is that we have to take the 3DS into account as well. This leaves us with six buttons with there probably having to be a jump button and the shield button on the shoulder buttons. This probably leaves us with a four button setup of ATK 1, 2, 3, and Special.
That's how BB works on the 3DS.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well with the ABXY thing, it won't be problem considering both the Wii U Pro Controller and 3DS use the same format. The same applies with the Wii U GamePad, though considering that has a touch screen I do wonder if that could be used for some sort of function like the action system used for the the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV. Same for the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros., due to the similar principles.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's how BB works on the 3DS.
I believe BlazBlue has a similar thing on consoles with its default setting on controllers.

Well with the ABXY thing, it won't be problem considering both the Wii U Pro Controller and 3DS use the same format. The same applies with the Wii U GamePad, though considering that has a touch screen I do wonder if that could be used for some sort of function like the action system used for the the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV. Same for the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros., due to the similar principles.
SF4 is a bit of an odd one. You need two buttons for EX moves with certain combinations for different EX versions (i.e. Juri's fireball). You also need three buttons for Ultras. I can't see the touch screen being used for macros in a game like Smash Bros., but I could be wrong.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Ridley - Metroid needs another rep more than DK does. Plus Ridley is just cooler :p

Palutena - Same reasons. Plus Dixie is isn't far off from diddy appearance wise being a monkey and all... Not something people usually mention but it just makes Palutena more exciting.

Tingle - Never liked Krystal...

Mewtwo - Ignore the whole "time restraint" thing, mewtwo being cut was less warranted than roy.

Shulk - I'm being the ignorant kid who makes a choice anyways. I don't know much about them but I just like Shulk more.

Isaac - Little mac seems sorta bland. Isaac has a neat scarf :p

Toad - I really don't care about either...

Sonic - ...Well crap. Sonic I guess. Sega/Sonic's rivalry with Nintendo/Mario makes him more deserving if you ask me.

Poke Newcomer - Could be a little more specific. I don't have really any particular preference here. New guy to spice it up? Lucario to be nice to his fans? I'm flipping a coin...

Snake - Layton isn't really the fighting type.

Chrom - Don't make me do this... I'd much shut my eyes and get the decision over with.

Edit: I'm a bit late. I had to include the why part.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If you wanna see conflict.
Ridley - Not a big DK fan, can more easily picture a moveset,
Palutena - No explanation should be needed.
Krystal - There's no real contest, guessing Shortie did this match up on purpose. :smirk:
Mewtwo - No explanation should be needed.
Saki - Haven't played Xenoblade, a Gun Sword beats a regular Sword in my book.
Little Mac - Arguably more deserving, simplicity, Doc Louis,
Bandana Dee - Both are kinda lame IMO, Dee gets it for better moveset options, is also more likable IMO.
Megaman/Sonic - Can't decide, will wait for my next issue of Worlds Collide instead.
Lucario - All the new Pokemon choices Smell.
Snake - Can't really picture Layton fighting, am in the minority of people who think Snake worked out.
Ike - Thinks Chrom is a Marth clone, enjoys Ike as a character more,

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal - There's no real contest, guessing Shortie did this match up on purpose. :smirk:
They were the less "important" controversial character match-up. And you're the only person to pick Krystal :p

Personally, if Sakurai approached me with this battle, I woul shed a tear as I sent Tingle to his death.

On and Dixie most definietly give Palutena a major run for her money.

And Lucario smells like fanboy semen and autism. (ever been to /vp/?)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ridley - Because purple space dragons rule. Also this game's answer to Sentinel.
Palutena - Voiced by Lightning, green hair, and overall cool design.
Krystal - Wanted her since I was 12. Thought she'd fit in perfectly.
Mewtwo - It's ****ing Mewtwo.
Saki - Unfair as I haven't played Xenoblade. He's gotta play like Noel though.
Little Mac - We need another actual fighter.
Toad - Bandana Dee would probably be trumped by most Fire Emblem characters in terms of potential. Toad could be this game's Lightning Grappler.
Sonic - To piss off Megaman fans.
Lucario - Unless it's Meowth. Meowth all the way then.
Snake - Snake grew on me.
Ike - I don't feel Chrom wouldn't bring anything new.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
They were the less "important" controversial character match-up. And you're the only person to pick Krystal :p

Personally, if Sakurai approached me with this battle, I woul shed a tear as I sent Tingle to his death.
Guess I completely misread you again.

On and Dixie most definietly give Palutena a major run for her money.
I know Dixie can and does, but coming from me I thought it was self explanatory.

And Lucario smells like fanboy semen and autism. (ever been to /vp/?)
Guess it only makes sense that I chose Krystal as well. :smirk:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know Dixie can and does, but coming from me I thought it was self explanatory.
OH I SEE. Yeah, don't get me wrong. Like em both, but, Dixie is probably the biggest female Nintendo has ever included. Definitely bigger than Krystal and Palutena. Peach and Zelda are captured too often to be considered heroes IMO.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Blue things confirmed for stupidity bait?
They have to also be all "cool" and ****. Probably because Sonic's all about speed while Lucario's all about the "aura".

So Krystal just avoids it as she's not all "cool". Before someone goes for the furry argument, Sonic is way way way worse.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
OH I SEE. Yeah, don't get me wrong. Like em both, but, Dixie is probably the biggest female Nintendo has ever included. Definitely bigger than Krystal and Palutena. Peach and Zelda are captured too often to be considered heroes IMO.
Never thought Samus would lose to Dixie as the biggest female hero.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Besides, everyone knows Marth is the best girl anyway. I mean, as her boyfriend Roy or her brother Ike.
For some reason when I was younger me and my brother were under the impression Marth and Roy were brothers. dunno why. I was like nine so.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
For some reason when I was younger me and my brother were under the impression Marth and Roy were brothers. dunno why. I was like nine so.
Their hair can't be that different and be brothers. That's why every TRUE fire emblem fans know that Marth and Roy are in fact cousins.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Should Smash Bros. include techniques from other fighting games such as strings, changed shield mechanics, cancelings, air dashes traditional combos, etc. while maintaining a distinct sense of identity for the series?

So has anyone thought of naming your caricatures? I'm naming mine Bàozhú.
Taking vBrawl as a template for this:
- Strings already exist. There are moves that have viable options and stuff that combos into other moves at certain percents or can set up favorable situations which can lead to more offensive action.
- Shields aren't in dire need of fixin' or changin' but they can be improved imo. If I had to make a change I'd make shields a bit larger proportionally, allow them to be slid easier and have a bit more shield stun. Fixing some shield stances for some characters would also help then not be poked as easily. Finally, give Yoshi a normal mother****ing shield he can jump out of!
- Cancels in the way of finishing a normal attack animation with another normal or a jump would be how I envision cancels. I always thought of Z/L cancelling being similar to MK's block button; it was simple but it felt weird and out of place.
- I can only see ADs as a directional jump.
- Traditional combos could be percent range specific with a good cancel system and higher hitstun.

Also, I'm thinking of naming my character Cassandra since she kinda looks like a ArcSys-y version of a character from a graphic novel I'm editing and translating for a friend who doesn't English. Cloudy is another name I have in mind.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley vs. K. Rool
I would prefer two giant reptiles. But if only one could get in, I would have to side with the space dragon. Zamus got in before him. Sad.

Palutena vs. Dixie Kong
Palutena seems more interesting to me. Magic and the power of heavens win over twirling hair. However, I did want a Diddy/Dixie tag-team for Brawl. But that time has passed.

Tingle vs. Krystal
Tingle seems like he could be an exciting, fun character. A Wario vs Tingle fight would be amazing. Two fat men in tights.

Mewtwo vs. Roy
Definately Mewtwo. He is the "villain/rogue" of Pokemon. His move set just was botched.

Shulk vs. Saki
I do not really know too much about these two. But Saki seems like he could add a little more variety to the cast.

Little Mac vs. Isaac
Little Mac seems way too bland for me. Isaac.

Toad vs. Bandana Dee
Toad. Bandana Dee also seems like such a long shot who I do not think would offer enough.

Megaman vs. Sonic
Megaman. Sonic was fun enough, but two very similar specials seemed very lazy. I think Megaman could have a much flashier move set. Plus, I always thought of Megaman as a Nintendo character, where Sonic was the obvious Sega mascot.

Lucario vs. Poke Newcomer
Poke Newcomer. Wouldn't mind a Pokemon version of Smash.

Snake vs. Layton
Snake offered many innovations. A Down Smash trap, an Up Smash projectile and very unique specials. I feel Sakurai opened up a large amount of design space with him. While Sakurai could be unique with Layton, I am not sure if he would be a great translation to a fighting game. Probably would prefer a balanced Snake. Layton just doesn't excite me.

Chrom vs. Ike
Keep Ike. He's fun.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Speaking of Marth...When I was younger I had a friend who always played as Marth. I always teased her, saying that Marth's a girl (though I knew he wasn't). She always retorted back saying, "well if he didn't wear that tiara thing, people would stop mistaking him for a girl". To which I was always like, "yeah, cuz that's the only thing that makes him girly". :troll: or something like that.

I wonder what will ignorant fans think if we get Marth, Ike, and Chrom...Marth's the mom, Ike's the dad, and Chrom's their son?

@Luigi's Mansion
I'd actually love to see King Boo...I don't think as a fighter is likely, but a boss would be nice. Though, if Luigi is represented under his own series (Luigi's Mansion), would King Boo be the best rep if we were to get another one? not that I'm saying that's going to happen, just hypothetically

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I always liked King Boo. I know we're not getting another Mario rep but KB would be my 1st pick if I had to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom