• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
REX would be an amazing boss.

Updated my boss ideas. lol

[collapse=Boss ideas]Mario:
Bowser
King Boo
Petey Piranha
Bowser Jr. & The koopalings
King Bob-Omb

Wario:
Wario

Zelda:
Ganondorf
Zant
Beast Ganon (Ocarina of Time version)
Ghirahim
Vaati

Donkey Kong:
King K Rool
Tiki Tong

Metroid:
Ridley
Mother Brain
Meta Ridley

Kid Icarus:
Medusa
Hades

Kirby:
Marx
Galacta Knight

Xenoblade:
Metal Face

Fire Emblem:
Black Knight (can't think of anyone else lol)

Pokemon:
Giratina
Genesect
Team Rocket
N
Mewtwo

Earthbound:
Starman
Porky

[collapse=The unlikely event of there being third party bosses]Metal Gear Solid:
REX

Megaman:
Yellow Devil
Willy

Sonic:
Eggman in the Death Egg robot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sO9LrTjYw[/collapse][/collapse]

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, on the boss topic, if Miis become playable, I always thought it would be funny if your Mii was the last boss in story mode. You know, the person you created was behind all the chaos all along. Not gonna happen, I know. But still, I'd be very amused.

[collapse=Mii]

I don't even know. But your Mii is evil! Eeeeviiiiil![/collapse]

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Saying words and spelling words tend to be different, the most blunt examples are the ones that tend to use silent letters like tsunami.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, on the boss topic, if Miis become playable, I always thought it would be funny if your Mii was the last boss in story mode. You know, the person you created was behind all the chaos all along. Not gonna happen, I know. But still, I'd be very amused.

[collapse=Mii]

I don't even know. But your Mii is evil! Eeeeviiiiil![/collapse]
That was realy creepy... yet, it would be awesome if it happened.

Huh... I did, I always assumed it was spelt Pirannah, not Piranha, it's one of those funny words that breaks all the grammar rules.
Never had trouble with that word because it's written exactly the same as it is in Portuguese. The nh in Portuguese is pronounced the same as a ñ in Spanish. Funny, isn't it? =P

Back on the bosses subject:
I would like if some of the bosses weren't as straightforward as the ones in Brawl, by having more specific gimmicks to defeat them. So, instead of just predicting the boss's move and attack when given opportunity, you had to rely on different methods.

A boss idea I had is Thanatos from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He's the God of Death and a skilled shapeshifter. In his boss battle, he had five transformations besides his original one.

In the original Kid Icarus, he was just a foe faced at the same time as Medusa, as a form of a snake that came from her hair. It's revealed in Uprising that it was just one of his many forms.

[COLLAPSE="God of Death, Thanatos artworks"]

Artwork from the original Kid Icarus (known as Tanatos, because of a spelling mistake)

Artwork from Uprising (the extra H is for HAMAAZING!)

Transformations 1 AR Card from Kid Icarus: Uprising (Sword and spears form and foot form)

Transformations 2 AR Card from Kid Icarus: Uprising (Matryoshka doll form, bat form and urn form)[/COLLAPSE]

So, how would Thanatos behave in Smash?

Let's check out his boss battle in Uprising first. He appears in his normal form. Upon hitting him enough times, he transforms into one of his transformations at random. The number of phases would vary on the difficulty played, and this would be no different in Smash. 3 transformations for easier difficulties, 4 for medium difficulties and all 5 for the hard levels.

After besting all the transformations, Thanatos returns to his normal form and stays on it until the end of the battle. Once more, this wouldn't be different in Smash.

How do each form attack?
The sword form is accompanied by spears which he uses to guard and attack. Approaching the sword will result in being attacked by a swing of it. The player had to avoid the spears and directly attack the swords. Projectile users had to overcome the spears in order to hit the sword as well. The spears are totally invulnerable to attacks, so it's useless to attempt damaging them.

Another form is the matryoshka doll. This one is straightforward. Attack the glowing red area to break the doll and reveal a smaller one. Previously defeated dolls would continue to attack as well, making the process of defeating the smaller dolls progressively difficult. After defeating the tiniest doll, this phase would end.

A third form would be the bat. It can shoot projectiles or split itself into a horde of tiny bats. Straightforward as in avoid the horde and hit when the chance arrives. Important to note, Thanatos is invincible while split into a horde of bats.

A fourth form is the foot. Get close to it, and be stomped. Pretty much that. Of course that given that KI was a shooting game, this would be easy. Not everyone in Smash Bros. has projectiles to rely on, making this phase trickier than the original game.

Last, but definitely not the least, is the urn form. It's insanely resistant to any kind of move, but Thanatos keeps dropping both white and red skulls. Originally, hitting the skulls with projectiles would merely destroy them, while meleeing the white skulls would deflect them back to Thanatos and damage the god and meleeing the red skulls would make them blow up and damage yourself. This wouldn't be different from Uprising. Use a direct attack to reflect the correct skulls back to Thanatos, while being careful with the red ones. This is the most interesting phase to implement in Smash, by having emphasis on choosing the correct enemy projectiles to hit the enemy. This gameplay mechanic could work nicely on some Zelda bosses known for this technique as well, such as Ganondorf himself or Phantom Ganon.

Thanatos's normal form uses several kinds of projectiles. Also worthy of note is the fact that new forms could be designed for this character to make an even more interesting boss battle. Thanatos could also use his glow dragon form seen in Uprising's Chapter 14 as a very powerful screen filler move that had to rely on dodging or rolling to avoid it.

...whew... this ended longer than I expected... but I am sure it's a HAMAAZING boss idea.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oooh. Boss Stuff. My
overly long and not exactly likely at all
Wishlist of Bosses:

[Collapse=Bosses]

Mario Series:
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Bouldergeist

Donkey Kong:
Mad Jack
Colonel Pluck

Yoshi:
Kamek

Wario:
Shake King
Captain Syrup

Legend of Zelda:
King Dodongo
Majora's Mask
Ghirahim

Pokemon:
Giratina
Rayquaza
Kyurem OR N (with Reshiram and Zekrom)
Arceus

Kirby:
Dark Matter
Dyna Blade (Ridley had to go somewhere, right? :troll:)
Landia

StarFox:
General Scales

Metroid:
Kraid

MOTHER:
Porky
Giygas

F-Zero:
Not sure how this would work, but maybe Deathborn? You ride atop the Falcon Flyer as he tries to ram you off, and you need to essentially defeat his racer? Sort of a Meta Ridley expy, so that Boss Battle doesn't go anywhere.

Ice Climber:
Polar Bear :D

Fire Emblem:
Black Knight

Game and Watch and ROB:

Pikmin:
Emperor Bulblax
Waterwraith
Smokey Progg

Kid Icarus:
Hades
Medusa

Punch-Out!!:
King Hippo

Nazo no Murajimajo (wow that was butchered, I just know it...) :
Murasame

Legendary Starfy:
Mashtooth

XenoBlade:
Metal Face

Mole Mania ( :p ) :
Funton

Third Parties:

Metal Gear REX (Metal Gear)
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Dr. Wily (Mega Man)

Other:
Master Hand (+Crazy Hand)

[/Collapse]

Soooo yeah. An extensive list of any boss that I'd like to see. Obviously this won't happen...just a wishlist :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
^ Sounds really good.

I support Thanatos as a boss.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I actually had funny idea about Mewtwo and Roy. They basically join forces and are bosses in story mode. No seriously, if Mewtwo gets in, I can see him getting angry about being cut, and taking it out on everyone. :laugh:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Someone already proposed the idea of Mewtwo and Roy being the villians in the next Smash seeking revenge in the Adventure mode discussion lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing I have noticed is that people tend to think simply balancing a character is by buffing their attributes, but they tend to forget the fundamental concept of mechanics and move sets causing that notion to become more complicated. I mean, sometimes how the game plays can drastically change how a character functions, like Captain Falcon and Mr. Game & Watch between Melee and Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Exactly. Improving tether mechanics would naturally be a buff to the tether users despite not explicitly affecting them - meaning a change log wouldn't show it under each character. There's also the factor of each move being a gear in the greater scheme of the character. A move being too good can cause autopilot and will hamper exploring the character's potential.

IIRC, Capt. Falcon wasn't changed a whole lot in the Melee-Brawl transition save for the universal mechanic changes, right.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
One thing I have noticed is that people tend to think simply balancing a character is by buffing their attributes, but they tend to forget the fundamental concept of mechanics and move sets causing that notion to become more complicated. I mean, sometimes how the game plays can drastically change how a character functions, like Captain Falcon and Mr. Game & Watch between Melee and Brawl.
The prime example is Zelda. Most of her attacks were buffed in Brawl, but she ended up in bottom tier.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
IIRC, Capt. Falcon wasn't changed a whole lot in the Melee-Brawl transition save for the universal mechanic changes, right.
Technically speaking, Captain Falcon received some nerfing to his moves but nothing dramatic like Kirby in Melee. It's Brawl's mechanics that really kicked him in the face; due to reduced hitstun, the loss of L-canceling, and the weaker dash dancing, Captain Falcon cannot effectively make combos like in Melee.

In contrast, Mr. Game & Watch really benefited from the removal of the varies techniques since he no longer has to worry so much about being overwhelmed by faster threats like in Melee. In other words, he now has a chance to actually use his powerful attacks and unique properties instead of floundering about from L-canceling and Wavedashing kicking his ***.

D

Deleted member

Remember that nh = ñ/ny(vowel) sound.
That's right I forgot about that. I'm used to displaying ñ as nya/e/i/o/u. I was also thinking of the English pronunciation of the word.

Technically speaking, Captain Falcon received some nerfing to his moves but nothing dramatic like Kirby in Melee. It's Brawl's mechanics that really kicked him in the face; due to reduced hitstun, the loss of L-canceling, and the weaker dash dancing, Captain Falcon cannot effectively make combos like in Brawl.

In contrast, Mr. Game & Watch really benefited from the removal of the varies techniques since he no longer has to worry so much about being overwhelmed by faster threats like in Melee. In other words, he now has a change to actually use his powerful attacks.
This completely. The game mechanics themselves have a huge impact on the balance of the game.

Now for the real question. How long till we can Mod Smash 4?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Now for the real question. How long till we can Mod Smash 4?
Pretty quickly, but we won't get anything super complex at first like Project M. After all it's a new game on a new console, as such it's going to take some time to get used to how everything works. But considering how dedicated the hackers are, I wouldn't be too surprised if it came up quickly, even if it's a simple model swap.

This is mainly pointing at the Wii U version by the way.

peeup

Smash Lord
Pretty quickly, but we won't get anything super complex at first like Project M. After all it's a new game on a new console, as such it's going to take some time to get used to how everything works. But considering how dedicated the hackers are, I wouldn't be too surprised if it came up quickly, even if it's a simple model swap.

This is mainly pointing at the Wii U version by the way.
Godwilling Smash 4 will be good enough without hacking.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
If it's not exactly like Brawl, will we see "Project B"? Considering people care about Brawl enough to do that...
And if it's not exactly like Melee, will we get Project M 2?

Besides, people will always want to make X character look like Y character, especially if they are not in the roster.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If it's not exactly like Brawl, will we see "Project B"?
And if it's not exactly like Melee, will we get Project M 2?

Besides, people will always want to make X character look like Y character, especially if they are not in the roster.
I would laugh at the idea of a Project B. My guess is it will aim for PM2.

Of course, we don't know exactly the direction the next game will be going in. It may prove to be rather difficult to compare Smash 4 with the previous games. For example, if the next game includes several different move cancelings and strings, it'd be impossible to go for a Melee feel as those weren't in Melee and would likely play a fundamental role in the game.

Just out curiosity, any Wii U owners gotten Tekken Tag 2 yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I own TT2 on Wii U. As a game, it's pretty fun and, in my humble opinion, has great potential for being at tournaments, so long as using the gamepad is banned. I think that the costumes are a hilarious and solid addition to Tekken, but I wish other franchises got some love. (No Little Mac? Not even Lucario or Marth?) Smash could definitely look at TT2 as another reason for alternate costumes.
I like it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I own TT2 on Wii U. As a game, it's pretty fun and, in my humble opinion, has great potential for being at tournaments, so long as using the gamepad is banned. I think that the costumes are a hilarious and solid addition to Tekken, but I wish other franchises got some love. (No Little Mac? Not even Lucario or Marth?) Smash could definitely look at TT2 as another reason for alternate costumes.
I like it.
Lol, the game is already in a lot of tournaments. It's even part of the EVO showcase this year. Though, the tournament standard is typically arcade sticks, not your typical pads outside of occasional preferences, but I'd image the macros for commands being banned, but this will be played on PS360 anyway.

I think some of the franchises didn't get love because it would've required more money for Namco to pour into. While I do love Leo as Sheik, no Capt. Paul was a massive disappointment. Same goes for no Zero Suit Nina.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At least there was a Captain Falcon costume to begin with; if there wasn't that would of been the missed opportunity of the century right there.

Still slightly peeved by the lack of Pit costume though...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only person I could think of getting a Pit costume would be Angel and maybe Jun. Earthbound ones would've been epic.

Though Kuma and Panda as Mario and Peach was very funny. Panda even had the heels.

D

Deleted member

Knowing you, Kuma, you would have loved Kuma in a Kumatora outfit regardless of him being male. :awesome:

The Kuma overload!!!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I too desired to see more Nintendo costumes besides the Smash characters in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Toad was the only non-Smash character to get a costume.

:phone:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Toad (not really) confirmed for Smash 4?
At least, if probably raises his chances

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If that raises Toad's chances then at the same time, it lowers the chances of veterans who didn't get a costume.

Pikachu deconfimred!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Who knows, it may very well be heihachi.

He's the most likely Tekken rep, and one of the most likely Namco characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom