• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Super Saiyans came first.
I believe it is said that Super Sonic was inspired by them, though I don't remember what source said it.

But no, I definitely wouldn't count Sasuke. Maybe pre-Shippuden Sasuke, but Shippuden Sasuke.....
is effing INSANE.
I figured it was as such... I just wasn't sure.

Kinda lame how they totally copied DB/Z.

Also, yeah I meant pre-time skip Sasuke.

Not gonna lie though, it's Sasuke's insanity that makes Shippuden remotely interesting to read. Naruto is that one series that I've been reading for so long, it's more of an effort to drop it, than to keep up with it, especially since it always comes out before One Piece, even if every week I'm asking myself why I still read it. And I've dropped it about 5 times already.

Guess you could say I'm tsundere for the Naruto manga...
No not really, I'm actually not, I would say that for Bleach though, there's a bad manga that I can't stop reading.

D

Deleted member

Nah, Super Sonic copying Super Saiyans wasn't that lame.

Silver copying Trunks? Now that's lame. In fact, how he was described by developers on his coming from the future to save it was "like Trunks".

D

Deleted member

TVTropes states two variations, one who's mostly harsh, but soft inside; and another who's the reverse.

[COLLAPSE="Quote"][/COLLAPSE]
Apparently the Kuudere archetype has THREE variations:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kuudere

I was only aware of the first one. The "always in control" like CC and Horo.

Nah, Super Sonic copying Super Saiyans wasn't that lame.

Silver copying Trunks? Now that's lame.
>Silver copying Trunks

Wut?

.... Now that you mention it... Both are time travelers trying to save the future, both are selfless heroes... FFFFFFFFfff****, Y U Do Sega?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Apparently the Kuudere archetype has THREE variations:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kuudere

I was only aware of the first one. The "always in control" like CC and Horo.
Well, I was actually talking about the tsundere which is a little different from kuudere (which I am not very familiar with, unlike tsundere).

But yeah, it seems that kuuderes have three common variations. Let's not forget that each character may be characterized differently and may even mix-and-match traits from more than one variation.

EDIT: After reading that... I can say that kuudere is more like a cool and calm exterior while emotional inside... it's a little different from the tsundere archetype, which is more like a jerkish, harsh exterior contrasting with a more soft interior.

Also, LOL at Sega copying DBZ characters with Sonic. :rotfl:

D

Deleted member

Well, I was actually talking about the tsundere which is a little different from kuudere (which I am not very familiar with, unlike tsundere).

But yeah, it seems that kuuderes have three common variations. Let's not forget that each character may be characterized differently and may even mix-and-match traits from more than one variation.

EDIT: After reading that... I can say that kuudere is more like a cool and calm exterior while emotional inside... it's a little different from the tsundere archetype, which is more like a jerkish, harsh exterior contrasting with a more soft interior.
Yeah I know, I was just pointing it out.

Tsundere is love-hate. Kuudere is more cool and coy.

[COLLAPSE="Generic Tsundere Female (****ty show do not bother)"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Typical Kuudere Female"]
[/COLLAPSE]

As for male variations:

[COLLAPSE="Tsundere"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Kuudere"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Yandere"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Speaking on character archetypes... I don't think we have a tsundere character playable in Smash...

D

Deleted member

Speaking on character archetypes... I don't think we have a tsundere character playable in Smash...
For a female... Not sure if want, I'm tired of seeing them in anime as it is.

Imagine a TsunTsun Samus... or a Peach... Thanks, but no thanks.

On a male character, it mite be cool. A jerkish characters who's really a nice guy on the inside like Rance.

I'd like to see some Yanderes. A male Yandere would be awesome. Something like Jin Kisaragi in BB.

Thing is, the characters sorta have to resemble their in-game attitudes.

You know what'd be funny, a Dandere Samus. Turns out she's a silent protag because she's just shy and introverted. All that solo hunting made her an introvert. Hahahaha. Take THAT Sakamoto.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You know what'd be funny, a Dandere Samus. Turns out she's a silent protag because she's just shy and introverted. All that solo hunting made her an introvert. Hahahaha. Take THAT Sakamoto.
I lol'd hard at this one... :rotfl:

Because, it was just an excellent comment and would fit Samus incredibly well.

One could argue that Zelda and Sonic are tsundere.
Not really much... but, it's like you said, one can argue...

D

Deleted member

One could argue that Zelda and Sonic are tsundere.
Sonic is just "way-past-cool," not a tsundere at all. If he was some sort of Jerk then maybe.

As for Zelda, well it depends which Zelda we're talking about.

Clearly, Toon Zelda is the Tsundere. The Zelda we're getting (SS) is usually depicted as a full on Deredere Childhood friend.

TP Zelda always cracks me up.
One of the NSFW ones was absolutely hilarious

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I haven't played TTT2, but for some reason I was thinking of SFxT. I
pirated
the latter for a bit to get a feel for the game and see if it was worth a buy, but the Gem system annoyed the hell outta me. I don't recall seeing clones in that though.

As for TTT2, I would say that's because the clones are built from the ground up as characters that are meant to be alternate versions of their original, without taking away from what the original has or could use. Second I assume they're given different moves and gimmicks that differentiate them a lot from the original. Lastly, sometimes clones are added for testing purposes for future games, this is a better option sometimes to the tweaking in between games to 'get it right' other devs do. The clones aren't there to compensate the lack of faces in the roster, nor are they filler to make it look meatier, at least that's not their intended purpose I assume.
SFxTK pretty much went out of their way to ensure there was no clones despite the fact that you have three shotos, two Mishimas, three boxers, and two Capoeristas(sp?), yet they don't play anything like their counterparts. I enjoyed the game after the patch let out, but I don't think old school 2D fighters are my thing. Probably why I only found the game enjoyable when I played that obnoxious Mexican.

The Tag 2 clones don't have a whole lot that makes them stand out from their counterparts and are generally worse. A big example is Miharu. She has a FC d,df 4 hard knockdown monkey sweep yet her Shooting Star has her land on her *** outside of Tag Assault. There's also the fact that taunts are added at a number of her moves.

For the others, I can't really say though they do have a handful of differences. IIRC, Tiger is SLIGHTLY better than Christie/Eddie.

My guess is that the vast majority of the clones were made as fanservice as they were more or less succeeded by later characters. In fact, I want to say over ten characters were added to an already healthy 40+ roster on the console version as time released DLC. Some of them hadn't been seen since Tekken Tag 1 or Tekken 4 (in Violet and Miharu's case).

I could actually see that happening.

Kill the spare.

D

Deleted member

Sonic is a jerk. He's a selfish jerk
But he selflessly rescues woodland creatures...

Who's he Tsundere for? Tails? Eggman?...

Well, I guess you could say he's Tsundere for Amy, but he just seems to flat out not care, he's not a jerk to her, nor does he imply to like her... At least afaik, I don't follow the Sonic franchise too closely.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He ONLY comes to their rescue if they are in mortal danger.

Otherwise he'd rather have them not bother him

He'd choose chili dogs over his friends

http://youtu.be/MJvlmiJS9zc?t=3m38s

Actually starting a minute before that to this part

D

Deleted member

But he selflessly rescues woodland creatures...

Who's he Tsundere for? Tails? Eggman?...

Well, I guess you could say he's Tsundere for Amy, but he just seems to flat out not care, he's not a jerk to her, nor does he imply to like her... At least afaik, I don't follow the Sonic franchise too closely.
It seems Amy is a Tsundere Type B, going by what you posted. She's all lovey-dovey to Sonic, but often gets upset with him when he rejects her advances.
Can two Tsundere be Tsundere for each other? Lol

D

Deleted member

He ONLY comes to their rescue if they are in mortal danger.

Otherwise he'd rather have them not bother him

He'd choose chili dogs over his friends

http://youtu.be/MJvlmiJS9zc?t=3m38s

Actually starting a minute before that to this part
But that's not Tsundere, that's just lazy/overconfident.

Tsundere's are usually abusive toward the person they like. Both males and females. Take Rance for example, he's a Tsundere for Sill, he treats her like total garbage, but deep down he really cares,
after she gets frozen he spends weeks trying to find a way to undo the spell, and the sequel game Rance Quest is focused around precisely that.

A tsundere is usually characterized by the phrase "I-it's n-not like I l-like you or anything... idiot."

That's not Sonic at all. Sonic's just trying to be that cool guy.

On a side note, I really should get around to watching that OVA, Classic Sanic is best Sanic.

It seems Amy is a Tsundere Type B, going by what you posted. She's all lovey-dovey to Sonic, but often gets upset with him when he rejects her advances.
Can two Tsundere be Tsundere for each other? Lol
Yeah, I can see Amy being that. But I always though of Amy as a Deredere, as she openly displays her affection. If Amy is a tsundere then so is Muv-Luv's Sumika, and I just can't picture Sumika as a Tsundere, as her "violent" behavior was more tongue-in-cheek, in a way two friends kinda treat each other like garbage because they know each other so well and they know they don't really mean it.

As for two Tsunderes liking each other... Toradora in a nutshell... Never again.
at least the intro was catchy

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, the only new characters that could be any of the "dere" archetypes (specifically tsundere and kuudere) arguably would be Takamaru and (maybe) Chrom. Not 100% sure about the latter considering that I have not played Fire Emblem: Awakening yet, but considering the option of marriage is available in that game I won't be too surprised if it does crop up in spades.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was just responding to him being a jerk. I don't really want to get Japanese stereotypes

peeup

Smash Lord
Charizard is tsundere because at first you don't have enough badges to train him, then you do have enough badges to train him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sonic is just "way-past-cool," not a tsundere at all. If he was some sort of Jerk then maybe.

As for Zelda, well it depends which Zelda we're talking about.

Clearly, Toon Zelda is the Tsundere. The Zelda we're getting (SS) is usually depicted as a full on Deredere Childhood friend.

This is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

I think Metaknight would count as Kuudere. He's calm and collected but cares for people.
When he's not trying to take over Dream Land.

And Sonic isn't a jerk. He's a bit arrogant and cocky as ****. But he never has the intent to hurt people.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Im really anxious to see what Nintendo/Namco have in store for GDC and E3

:phone:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I can't promise a video game. But I can give you people with future b-days a virtual cookie in advance. Here, take it. (>'_')>O

Seriously though, interesting discussions went on during the last few pages, to say the least.

D

Deleted member

Probably ignore Lyn unless I happen to like her playstyle (since faster, weaker characters aren't my thing) and constantly use Krystal as a training dummy.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I would't mind Lyn. Krystal though...eh, I'm not too fond of the character in general. So, I'd use her as a training dummy as well. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah... I miss them...

Let's have another!

So...what would you folks do if Lyn and Krystal got in this game? :troll:
Grab some popcorn and watch the rage. It'd be delicious. :awesome:

They don't merit inclusion, but I personally would enjoy playing as both of them, so I wouldn't care too much.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So...what would you folks do if Lyn and Krystal got in this game? :troll:
Wouldn't mind Lyn that much actually. Even if it's clogged to the brim with fridge logic, the character wouldn't be necessarily a deal breaker.

Krystal however can make like a tree and **** off!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wouldn't mind Lyn so long as we also got Marth and Ike. Krystal would depend if other series got their needed attention as well.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to change the subject so quickly, but another random thought occurred to me. If Fire Emblem has had such a surge in popularity, and had 3 characters planned for Brawl, is it really far off to expect 4 characters?

I'm not necessarily expecting it, but (if it WERE based solely on popularity) right now I would argue that Fire Emblem has surpassed Star Fox in popularity. (as I said right now it seems that way). Keeping this is mind, if Fire Emblem gained 2 slots, I personally wouldn't mind it. But any more than that and i'm not sure I would agree with it. Thoughts?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not to change the subject so quickly, but another random thought occurred to me. If Fire Emblem has had such a surge in popularity, and had 3 characters planned for Brawl, is it really far off to expect 4 characters?

I'm not necessarily expecting it, but (if it WERE based solely on popularity) right now I would argue that Fire Emblem has surpassed Star Fox in popularity. (as I said right now it seems that way). Keeping this is mind, if Fire Emblem gained 2 slots, I personally wouldn't mind it. But any more than that and i'm not sure I would agree with it. Thoughts?
Only if bigger series get more slots first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom