• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, go ask around. It where some fun times. :) I remember fighting yani the most, he also has quite a good Diddy.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Pit, Wolf, and Meowth were not planned for Super Smash Bros. What you heard is the unproven rumor that has been floating for a long time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They'd probably say you're 'cheating' for using aerials so much, or short hopped aerials. :rolleyes:

Mewtwo, Bowser and King Dedede where at least considered right? Peach and Pit to iirc.

D

Deleted member

Not that it matters now, but the fact that Dedede, Wolf and Pit were allegedly planned for the original SSB but not Diddy makes me seethe a bit.
Only Mewtwo, Bowser, and Dedede have legitmate proof.

The Wolf thing is from cednym, and while I have reason to beleive him, as what he has said in regards to Wolf being too much of a Fox recolor to serve as the Melee clone sounds familiar to me from years ago, he should be taken with a grain of salt until his claimed Famitsu articles come into light.

As for Pit, Peach, and Meowth, they have no legitimate proof whatsoever. Just an example of how if enough people say something, it will eventually be well believed.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
O_O Voice chat? You serious?

Oh well, at least the chance of hearing whiny kids should be lower than, say... Call of Duty? :troll:
I'm getting the feeling you guys don't think voice chat is all too likely. :scared:
Does Tekken or Soul Calibur have voice chat???

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pretty much. But hey, we always have some laughs here. And sometimes even awesome ideas pop up.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder what sort of rumors we could create for Brawl or SSB4 that might live on when the speculators of, say, SSB6 come along...

D

Deleted member

Fight Me. :mad:

LOL! I hope Yoshi gets his egg throw buffed to how it was in Melee. i hate per-determined egg throw routes
I can't even remember how Yoshi played in Brawl, I never bothered with him tbh. I remember him being already pretty bad in Melee, but he had some decent power.

Remembers me of the time I challenged this board to shut me up about Impa lol. Conditions where: beat me with Sheik while I play as Diddy. Nobody won so far, but had a lot of fun matches. :p
Well... You were pitting Diddy against Sheik. I think anyone would have a hard time with that... If it was Melee's Sheik though, you might be in for a rough match.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I can't even remember how Yoshi played in Brawl, I never bothered with him tbh. I remember him being already pretty bad in Melee, but he had some decent power.
Yoshi was pretty good in Melee. There was this dude in Japan named Fumi, i believe, he was pretty clutch with yoshi

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Creating a rumor is not exactly hard when we have sites like ZeldaInformer floating around. We just have to sound convincing for the sheep, which again isn't hard.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At the time I checked, Diddy vs Sheik was considered a 50 / 50 matchup. Dunno about today though. But it seems even enough.

D

Deleted member

At the time I checked, Diddy vs Sheik was considered a 50 / 50 matchup. Dunno about today though. But it seems even enough.
VS. Brawl's Sheik? Really? I didn't bother with Sheik much in Brawl either, I hated how they cut the power in all her Smash Attacks. TBH, I initially found Brawl's Zelda better than Sheik.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yup, they nerfed her and nobody bothered playing with her. I think she's easily one of the least played characters in Brawl now. I even picked her up, just for kicks and giggles, and found out I was actually good with her. I'm better with Brawl's Sheik than I am with Melee's Sheik, if that makes any sence. :rolleyes: Anyways, I found I had to gain knowlegde of the character I want replaced so badly, so I start playing her. And, it's going pretty well. Even in Melee. Might even make her my main. That is, if my Marth doesn't improve.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
(Hopeless attempt at going back to the point of this thread)
Ohai a response, Nevermind.

I would enjoy them! I enjoyed pichu but found him kindof pointless, with plusle & minun that aspect goes away as they respresent the 3rd gen.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

I would enjoy them! I enjoyed pichu but found him kindof pointless, with plusle & minun that aspect goes away as they respresent the 3rd gen.
I hate the whole "we must represent all Gens" stance. If Sakurai took heart to this mentality by the time SSB7 rolls around we would have like 10 Pokemon on the roster. Minun and Pulse seem cool but id rather them be pokeballs instead. Just make Pichu and raichu alt costumes

D

Deleted member

Yup, they nerfed her and nobody bothered playing with her. I think she's easily one of the least played characters in Brawl now. I even picked her up, just for kicks and giggles, and found out I was actually good with her. I'm better with Brawl's Sheik than I am with Melee's Sheik, if that makes any sence. :rolleyes: Anyways, I found I had to gain knowlegde of the character I want replaced so badly, so I start playing her. And, it's going pretty well. Even in Melee. Might even make her my main. That is, if my Marth doesn't improve.
Yeah, I hated what they (well I guess I should say Sakurai) did to a lot of characters. Marth as well. Like... Somehow, everyone just got ****tier. Balancing doesn't mean take away the strengths of all the high tier (and even some mid-low tier (poor Yoshi(and Link))) characters... Is it really that hard to add buffs to weaker characters. What was Sakurai thinking?

Marth was another as well, I disliked how they cut his range and the tip's power. I still played him though, however, I ended up liking Snake's playstyle over Marth's. Marth simply became my secondary.

At least Namco's on board now to prevent more stupid things like that from happening... I mean the point of a new game is to get us excited about new changes to characters, not disappointed.

Well, we've talked about that already... There's really isn't much left to discuss regarding the OP, at least not till we get some info. Just enjoy the thread for what it's worth, I guarantee there'll be a ****storm once we get some stuff...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why though?
Adding a risk / reward aspect to the character. You either would select Pichu, and play a hard first stock, but eventually evolve into Raichu, and start whooping ***. Or pick Pikachu, and play it more safe. Pichu would be intentionally weaker than Pikachu, and Raichu intentionally stronger. Plus, it's about the most unique way to bring Pichu back. And it's much better than a stand alone Pichu I feel. Plus, I hope Raichu brings back Pikachu's N64 fighting style, cause it was awesome, yet doesn't really suit Pikachu. But it suits Raichu more than anything.

@Manly: I always felt Marth, Fox, Sheik, Peach, Jiggz, Samus, Mario and Ganondorf where intentionally nerfed.

D

Deleted member

Adding a risk / reward aspect to the character. You either would select Pichu, and play a hard first stock, but eventually evolve into Raichu, and start whooping ***. Or pick Pikachu, and play it more safe. Pichu would be intentionally weaker than Pikachu, and Raichu intentionally stronger. Plus, it's about the most unique way to bring Pichu back. And it's much better than a stand alone Pichu I feel. Plus, I hope Raichu brings back Pikachu's N64 fighting style, cause it was awesome, yet doesn't really suit Pikachu. But it suits Raichu more than anything.
So, the Pika line would be like the SSJ transformations in DBZ games?

This isn't even my FINAL form

Oh God, that'd be hilarious! I'd play Pika just for the jokes.

What I don't understand is why they would nerf mid-tier characters like Mario and Samus. I mean Samus has ALWAYS been pretty terrible. Why make her even worse? And on Fox... Just because the guy was Top-Tier doesn't mean you gotta strip him of EVERYTHING that made him good...

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I see what you're saying. Thats an Interesting idea. But ive always loved plusle and Minun anyways, so im going to root for them:awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Uhm, dunno much about DBZ fighting games but the concept is: take the first stock with a terrible character, to make it up later in battle by turning the tides. What Pichu lacks, Raichu makes up for. It would be a sort of 'skill test' for those really experienced with Pikachu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dunno why they nerfed the middle tier characters as Mario, Samus and Ganon, but I do feel they also intentionally buffed DK, Pikachu and G&W. I think Sakurai wanted to make them even, but he failed badly at it... Link also felt intentionally nerfed. Especially with his Up B and Boomerang.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nope, BEST IDEA EVER. Right after Impa and Blastoise of coarse. :awesome:

Yes, I do prefer to stay humble. How I do this? God may know.

D

Deleted member

Uhm, dunno much about DBZ fighting games but the concept is: take the first stock with a terrible character, to make it up later in battle by turning the tides. What Pichu lacks, Raichu makes up for. It would be a sort of 'skill test' for those really experienced with Pikachu.
The DBZ fighting games are a lot of fun. There were two that were good balanced games (Budokai 3 was one).

In game, many characters had transformations and some even had Fusions. Essentially, when you powered up your Ki to a certain level you could transform to the next stages. SSJ>SSJ2 and so on... Your abilities would increase and you'd get new specials. It was a lot of fun. Normally you'd begin with rather meh... abilities, but once you got to SSJ3 and onward **** was awesome.

I could imagine something similar with what you suggest, I just can't help but find it funny though... Too many /a/ related memes with that...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I'm remembering correctly, doesn't Sakurai balance characters as if they were playing FFAs with items?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I think that'd work. But the Pokemon would evolve automatically (while fighting even, you don't want to slow down during a fight for some mechanic). And Pichu's evolution would by far be the most gimmicky, cause it's the one you most rely on. :p Pikachu to Raichu would occur differently, and might not even happen if you finish off the foe so quickly with Pikachu alone. Which would be part of the risk involved.

BKupa, with items on... Ganondorf and Bowser would probably be even worse... Especially in FFA.

And if he does... Expect a nerfed Ike in Smash 4 if he makes it back... Wow, how ugly would that be? :urg:

D

Deleted member

Dunno why they nerfed the middle tier characters as Mario, Samus and Ganon, but I do feel they also intentionally buffed DK, Pikachu and G&W. I think Sakurai wanted to make them even, but he failed badly at it... Link also felt intentionally nerfed. Especially with his Up B and Boomerang.
Link... Yeah, that was stupid. I understand it was spammable and strong, I still remember the 'no skills' jokes back in high-school, but it was nowhere near game breaking, it was a good killing move, also Nerfing his Boomerang was stupid, it limited his ranged options with his already ****ty Bow. Link wasn't far from being a decent character in Melee, but they ****ed it all up in Brawl, and I was very disappointed.

If I'm remembering correctly, doesn't Sakurai balance characters as if they were playing FFAs with items?
..... really?

Well ****... that's just flat out stupid, but I can understand WHY they do it, after all, Nintendo doesn't want Smash Bros to BE a fighting game...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Balanced FFA? That's an oxymoron if ever I heard it.

Edit:
No, Diddy, the evolution gimmick is still dumb.
Why? 2 more playable characters, and Pikachu is still selectable on his own. What's to lose with this?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know if it was ever stated outright (though Sakurai has discussed balance in a number of interviews, so he very well could have), but it was at least hypothesized that he balances for items-on FFAs, based on Meta Knight having a poor Final Smash to balance out his dominance there. *shrugs*

D

Deleted member

And if he does... Expect a nerfed Ike in Smash 4 if he makes it back... Wow, how ugly would that be? :urg:
Oh My God... Considering how mediocre Ike is and how much potential he has, I'd be all kinds of pissed. Especially since I expect this to be Ike's final Smash Bros game (unless he gets another FE game which I doubt
Although the end of FE10 was open for a sequel with Ike
). Dear God, lets hope Namco can talk sense into Sakurai when it comes to making those decisions. I can certainly see him doing that, especially after Link who was most likely nerfed because the casuals thought he was 'cheap.'

Edit:
No, Diddy, the evolution gimmick is still dumb.
I think it's a neat idea... It might work if done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom