• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina nerf imminent with patch 1.04?

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Eh, good for you. Why don't you go buy yourself an ice cream or whatever for all I care.
No need to act bratty because someone else is happy.

To be honest, I'm happy too. I've used Rosalina plenty -- she deserved nerfs. I definitely expect a couple more nerfs even after the Luma respawn nerf.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Maybe I will :4dk:

I play her but I'm not bias, I can admit she needed something done.
Wishful thinking but I guess that's acceptable.

To be honest, I'm happy too. I've used Rosalina plenty -- she deserved nerfs. I definitely expect a couple more nerfs even after the Luma respawn nerf.
This coming from a guy who's been whining and complaining about her being "overpowered" and not consider himself "bratty"? Don't make me laugh, kid.

And what makes you so certain that more will be on the way?

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
This coming from a guy who's been whining and complaining about her being "overpowered" and not consider himself "bratty"? Don't make me laugh, kid.

And what makes you so certain that more will be on the way?
Just because I believe the character is overpowered doesn't mean I was "whining and complaining". Clearly there was some validity to my comments if the dev team is nerfing her, right?

There's no need to be upset -- Rosalina is getting nerfed and you shouldn't lash out at people because of it.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Clearly there was some validity to my comments if the dev team is nerfing her, right?
Oh Clemmy, why do you tempt me so...

~Once upon a time, the dev team thought random tripping of characters was a good idea, and put it into Brawl. Then the dev team changed its mind and didn't put it in the next installment~

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Its pretty obvious Clemente is just trolling and is trying to get under peoples skin. Just ignore him.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice

Okay we kinda need to chill, First, :rosalina: is nowhere near :metaknight: brawl level of brokenness, and quite frankly doesn't even have the moveset potential to be near that. Second, we haven't even tried out the Wii U and 1.04 patch differences and you're asking for even more nerfs to this character that you haven't even tried facing on the console version with a real controller. Third, the only reason people are reacting this way is because you are attacking people's choices for who they want to play the game with, I understand you're happy about the nerfs, but there's no reason to get abusive towards other users because their main got nerfed from this apparently 'untouchable' status. Rosalina players don't deserve this kind of hate especially when plenty of them decided on maining her or grew to love her playstyle before she was found to be one of the better characters.

I trust in the balancing team to be doing the right thing, as they even made Meta Knight from an overpowered beast to a more tame rendition who is still just as fun to play as, I hope they can keep it in the same vein without making a character useless or too powerful.

That's all I have to say directly to you, just have fun with the game.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Okay we kinda need to chill, First, :rosalina: is nowhere near :metaknight: brawl level of brokenness, and quite frankly doesn't even have the moveset potential to be near that. Second, we haven't even tried out the Wii U and 1.04 patch differences and you're asking for even more nerfs to this character that you haven't even tried facing on the console version with a real controller. Third, the only reason people are reacting this way is because you are attacking people's choices for who they want to play the game with, I understand you're happy about the nerfs, but there's no reason to get abusive towards other users because their main got nerfed from this apparently 'untouchable' status. Rosalina players don't deserve this kind of hate especially when plenty of them decided on maining her or grew to love her playstyle before she was found to be one of the better characters.

I trust in the balancing team to be doing the right thing, as they even made Meta Knight from an overpowered beast to a more tame rendition who is still just as fun to play as, I hope they can keep it in the same vein without making a character useless or too powerful.

Amen to that brother.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

Chilling? That's what I've repeatedly been saying! But people can't read...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just wanna say - I called this.

I said before that nerfing any character, especially Rosalina, would lead to people wanting more rather than improving their own skills.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There has been some really interesting points being made on Rosalina's viability in the Character Competitive Impressions thread recently. I'd suggest taking a peak.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna say - I called this.

I said before that nerfing any character, especially Rosalina, would lead to people wanting more rather than improving their own skills.
You're not really making sense. People wanting characters to be more balanced somehow means they suck/refuse to practice & get better -- you're just talking flat out crazy nonsense.

I looked back at the old Rosalina thread, and it's pretty obvious why you're so annoyed though.

Rosalina does not need a nerf
the time it takes for Luma to respawn is fair
We do not need to extend the time it takes for Luma to respawn
So clearly you were very opposed to an increase on the respawn timer. But I actually think it did need to be increased.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
- Still can attack while being grabbed (with Luma)
- Still can attack while in freefall state (with Luma)
- Still can attack after her shield is broken (with Luma)
- The only character that can attack and dashgrab at the same time (with Luma)
- Still has amazing attack range, pokes, with solid KO potential (even without the Luma)
- Amazing custom moves
- Laughs at projectiles
- Has a free win button against a recovering Ness (Mad salty about this one </3)
- Great recovery and overall aerial mobility, while still having solid ground mobility
- Combos off of throws
- Side Taunt might be one of the most trollish taunts in Smash history, besides Brawl Sonic and Kirby's "Hiii!!"

Luma respawn nerf in a nutshell:

That being said, I feel as though it was a warranted change. It might not harm Rosalina players all that much, but it promotes smarter play from Rosalina players to not lose their Luma, while it also gives a more beneficial reward to a player who manages to defeat her Luma. 8 seconds did feel a bit too short considering how Luma gives Rosalina a wide array of advantages that no other character possesses, simply by just existing. 13 seconds is a more reasonable amount, for both players.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
"Yay a decision that promotes campy play" before you could play rosalina slightly aggressive, now that might be out of the window considering 2 lumakills easily wastes like 30s on the clock.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You're not really making sense. People wanting characters to be more balanced somehow means they suck/refuse to practice & get better -- you're just talking flat out crazy nonsense.

I looked back at the old Rosalina thread, and it's pretty obvious why you're so annoyed though.

So clearly you were very opposed to an increase on the respawn timer. But I actually think it did need to be increased.
I'm not "very opposed", I just think it was unnecessary. It's here now, and I don't mind it. But people are not being productive by asking for more nerfs. They are not necessary.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Fun fact, arguing with clemente is pointless because they're trolling

Just be happy that you're not clemente and ignore them

As for the nerf, it wasn't necessary, especially when people are finally figuring out how to play against rosalina but it's whatever

I'm not too concerned, she's still good and I also use Sheik

But if Rosie dittos are still not color coded i'm gonna be salty as ****

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
You shouldn't change your main or consider of changing it just beause a patch has been announced. Don't be a Tier Hunter.

Now, I've only used Rosalina a few times, but this few times I won. When passing Classic and All-Star, with the first try I did it. Rosalina needs a patch. She is overpowered and needs to be nerfed. Now, this doesn't mean she needs to go to the bottom of the Tier List or become a Mid Tier, she can still be a well constructed character just with a few fixes here and there on her moves. All characters will get it.

Steam

Smash Hero
they nerfed the right thing, reward for killing luma honestly wasn't nearly enough for what luma offers. It honestly still isn't enough and Rosa is still top 2 along with sheik in the "way better than anyone else" tier. But this will at least allow high reward characters more opportunities and make it so she doesn't hard counter certain characters so hard, even if she's a weaker player.

@above- to be honesty the existence of sheik is the only thing that keeps her from being MK status. Sheik is the MK of this game. Rosalina is like the D3 who just invalidates half the roster because they can, except rosa is way better than brawl D3. I do remember M2K saying not to long ago he believed that rosalina was MK status, but that's M2K.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm not too worried about the Luma respawn time, the nerf is actually pretty fair. It just requires us to be more careful with Luma.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
We get balance patches and Smashboards are acting like this is some new epidemic.

Balance patches will affect characters negatively or positively. The general response to it is to adjust to the change and continue on. If a character's viability lowers, you can continue to use that character or switch to someone else.

And on a serious note, Luma's respawn timer going from ~8 to ~13 is extremely fair, to the point where I don't see why anyone is making a big deal out of this.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
We get balance patches and Smashboards are acting like this is some new epidemic.

Balance patches will affect characters negatively or positively. The general response to it is to adjust to the change and continue on. If a character's viability lowers, you can continue to use that character or switch to someone else.

And on a serious note, Luma's respawn timer going from ~8 to ~13 is extremely fair, to the point where I don't see why anyone is making a big deal out of this.
I didn't see anyone making a big deal of of this. As far as I can tell, everyone agrees with this little nerf. Nerfs in general were the main subject of discussion (that got some people riled up).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I didn't see anyone making a big deal of of this. As far as I can tell, everyone agrees with this little nerf. Nerfs in general were the main subject of discussion (that got some people riled up).
On the subject of nerfs in general, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Yes, nerfs will hurt any character, but any fighting game strives for perfect balance across the board (even though that is generally impossible). Personally, my only worry is this is the first time Nintendo has taken a hand in balancing post-release. It's bound to be heavy-handed and messy.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
yeah I think all the people here are fine with the nerf, myself included because i don't see it hurting my playstyle. the only negative i see is it slowing down the game at high levels of play, which means more camping and less risk taking. not like we don't already have enough of that.

but i think it was the easiest, most lazy change they could have come up with. most characters that can easily eliminate luma don't need to worry about respawn time. and a huge portion of the cast can do this, often without punishment and with just some basic level of situational awareness.

however, i'm hugely against all balance changes. especially by nintendo, they don't exactly have the competitive scene in mind. i really hope this is the last of the changes for every character, i don't play peach and good peaches wreck me but i'm quite bothered they removed the turnip cancel tech. i'd be much more welcome to seeing buffs.

there's likely very little good to come from nintendo ******* around with the game further, except potentially wasting people's time in advancing characters that may get randomly adjusted because of for glory statistics. any new tech that's discovered will probably get removed if this continues, and that means a really stagnant game.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
- Still can attack while being grabbed (with Luma)
- Still can attack while in freefall state (with Luma)
- Still can attack after her shield is broken (with Luma)
- The only character that can attack and dashgrab at the same time (with Luma)
- Still has amazing attack range, pokes, with solid KO potential (even without the Luma)
- Amazing custom moves
- Laughs at projectiles
- Has a free win button against a recovering Ness (Mad salty about this one </3)
- Great recovery and overall aerial mobility, while still having solid ground mobility
- Combos off of throws
- Side Taunt might be one of the most trollish taunts in Smash history, besides Brawl Sonic and Kirby's "Hiii!!"

Luma respawn nerf in a nutshell:

That being said, I feel as though it was a warranted change. It might not harm Rosalina players all that much, but it promotes smarter play from Rosalina players to not lose their Luma, while it also gives a more beneficial reward to a player who manages to defeat her Luma. 8 seconds did feel a bit too short considering how Luma gives Rosalina a wide array of advantages that no other character possesses, simply by just existing. 13 seconds is a more reasonable amount, for both players.
Amen, Rosalina has way too many strengths at the moment.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Nobody is breaking out about Rosalina being "nerfed". Just that a lot of people are of the mindset that it's far too early for any balance patches, and fixing straight up glitches should take priority over this. The Wii U version hasn't come out yet, and that should be used as a basis for what should be changed, not making changes early all of a sudden (except for glitches). And even without the Wii U version, Luma's respawn time has not been given enough time to be proven something completely broken, especially since the contrary was starting to become the clear reality.

However, most are fine with this "nerf" anyway as it barely classifies as one - all it means for Rosalina players is that they do what they were doing before when Luma was missing, for 5 seconds longer. Or if they never lost Luma that often to begin with, then this change literally means nothing to those Rosalina players. I feel this "nerf" is only going to classify as one for the especially subpar Rosalina players.

However, the real epidemic I'm seeing is that people are still asking for more to be changed about Rosalina. Even though they got the main thing they wanted. Which is my main issue with this patch's character updates - people will get greedy.

However, I think we can all agree that Greninja is getting hit way harder than Rosalina by this patch, as is Peach. They are both getting way more significant nerfs.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Or just continue to wreck as Rosalina alone, since she can do that anyway.
i'll have to disagree with that one, i'm in the 'rosalina is garbs w/o luma' camp.
seriously good luck dealing with rushdowns or hell, even a competent ganondorf or DDD. all rosa can do is chip damage and her combo ability is severely screwed without luma. i can think of a huge amount of characters that straight up wreck rosa if she tries to play non-defensive solo.

edit: i should note that this is just based off my experience and i don't think it necessarily holds true to your playstyle, i really dunno, this is just me

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
i'll have to disagree with that one, i'm in the 'rosalina is garbs w/o luma' camp.
seriously good luck dealing with rushdowns or hell, even a competent ganondorf or DDD. all rosa can do is chip damage and her combo ability is severely screwed without luma. i can think of a huge amount of characters that straight up wreck rosa if she tries to play non-defensive solo.

edit: i should note that this is just based off my experience and i don't think it necessarily holds true to your playstyle, i really dunno, this is just me
It's a playstyle thing.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not the best player in the world, but I have found more times than not that I can handle myself just fine without Luma, even without fighting directly. In some cases, I almost exclusively use Luma as a damage sponge since I know he will inevitably be taken out anyway, and Rosalina can deal with the opponent just fine. ZSS is a prime example of this. I had a lot more trouble against her before I started applying this strategy.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
In some cases, I almost exclusively use Luma as a damage sponge
This is something I've seen people mention multiple times but I've yet to really find a situation where I can really use Luma as a sponge. The only thing I can think of that comes close is using Luma for spacing on uairs, like, if I'm at risk of getting hit by an opponent's bair or dair while I'm trying to uair them, I try to hit with Luma which should push them into my uair as well, and they're more likely to hit Luma instead of me..

but I rarely have that happen on the ground, I guess I haven't been able to make the connection yet, like, sometimes Luma will tank a projectile for me but I never really go into a projectile situation confidently that if I just keep running forward, Luma's gonna take the hit and I'll be able to dash attack. Half the time projectiles just soar over the top of Luma and smack Rosalina in the face.

Definitely something I gotta watch out for, just haven't hasn't clicked for me really.

Rynhardt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rynhardt
3DS FC
3437-3326-8257
The only nerf I want is for her recovery to be more gimped when Luma isn't around. There's nothing wrong with a character being strong, and Rosalina is by no means game-breaking even in 1.0.3.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
The only nerf I want is for her recovery to be more gimped when Luma isn't around. There's nothing wrong with a character being strong, and Rosalina is by no means game-breaking even in 1.0.3.
have you tried hitting her out of her recovery? it is kinda fast but she doesn't have any invincibility frames or does any damage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, it's not like Rosalina is able to dominate every match-up anyway. Based on some match-up topics that I've seen, some of the lesser used fighters can give Rosalina a run for her money; examples include R.O.B., Peach, Link, and Toon Link. Ironically, all four of those fighters have projectiles in their arsenal, which are useless against Gravitational Pull, but they can use Gravitational Pull's weaknesses to their advantage; for one example, bombs can still explode at Rosalina's face.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be fair, it's not like Rosalina is able to dominate every match-up anyway. Based on some match-up topics that I've seen, some of the lesser used fighters can give Rosalina a run for her money; examples include R.O.B., Peach, Link, and Toon Link. Ironically, all four of those fighters have projectiles in their arsenal, which are useless against Gravitational Pull, but they can use Gravitational Pull's weaknesses to their advantage; for one example, bombs can still explode at Rosalina's face.
I completely disagree with Link. I feel like that's definitely in favour of Rosalina. Toon Link however, has all of the benefits that Link has, but better, and has agility and much less predictable sword swipes.

R.O.B is fine once you get some experience, and learn to take control of his Gyros. He's a big heavy target, which are Rosalina's favourite opponents, IMO.

Peach does give Rosalina a run for her money, if only because it's hard to find Peach players. However, Peach is getting a much more significant nerf in the upcoming patch, which will potentially change how she is played altogether, and she loses one of her biggest strengths.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
However, the real epidemic I'm seeing is that people are still asking for more to be changed about Rosalina. Even though they got the main thing they wanted. Which is my main issue with this patch's character updates - people will get greedy.
I've already addressed this with the previous post, but to reiterate, balance patches won't matter in the grand scheme of things. Unless Nintendo wants to completely break a character, the strengths and weaknesses of a character will remain the same, just at slightly different levels.

What players need to realize is, balance patches are not made to compensate for the weaknesses of their playstyle. They are made to achieve better balance among the cast. In this case, "greed" has no application when it comes to this.

In other words, players can complain all they want. The fact is, they'll still need to get better. So I wouldn't be bothered by it.

Steam

Smash Hero
The reason rosalina got nerfed so early on is because it's fairly obvious she stood quite above almost everyone. When she has luma on her she excels at everything and 8 seconds is truly not very long when rosalina can space people out respectably. You can't really understand how amazing rosa with luma on her is at beating out almost anything until you've played against her a ton. Luma essentially option selects for the options that would counter what rosa is doing, and other times acts as a gigantic disjoint that protects rosa so correct spacing would only get you luma damage. People are really understating how much of a strength this is, and this is before getting into the option selecting she can do with boost grab and such. Getting all that for only a below average recovery and having to be a subpar character for 8 seconds when luma dies really isn't a fair trade.

I guess sakurai drained olimar of his brawl power and gave it to rosalina, creating the abomination. Same with MK -> Sheik. And I guess he also shoved roids down lucario's throat too.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wouldn't call Rosalina's recovery below average at all (though I don't think it needs nerfing either).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't call Rosalina's recovery below average at all (though I don't think it needs nerfing either).
I doubt that Launch Star needs any nerfs, since we already know that it can't deal any damage, and it's her best third jump option, in terms of travel distance. Besides, the reason for why Launch Star Attack has a shorter distance is because it's capable of dealing damage to others.

Top Bottom