• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Combo Thread (WIP)

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the share! This is huge and I had no idea it could true combo so reliably on a lot of the cast.
The running tech is godlike too. I've been able to cancel an aerial into rosalina foxtrot as well, really making mobility after landing more interesting.

As for newer approach options you could always go Super ultra gimmicky and Fair right before you land on stage out of Up B. Works pretty well in situations when you can kind of ambiguously land in front or behind your opponent (choose behind). Still 100% gimmick though.

A more practical usage I think is a to simply dash up to your opponent unexpectedly and then jump back and air dodge. That signals to your opponent that you wanted to approach but now you're just panicking and don't know what to do. This is a bait for them to approach on the ground. So throw out the LL Fair if they approach and then combo them to their death.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I am not entirely sure about item 1. But I think you're supposed to tech the moment you hit the ground. If an opponent does a tech'd regular get up then Warp into Uncharged F-smash will combo so its not that bad a situation. But if they tech roll the set up is avoided and you should probably just reel luma back in and play neutral.

As for Luigi by traction I mean he's literally too slippy slidey. The term is traction, think like physics and friction. Luigi when touching the ground slides further away than other opponents. So the luma warp hitbox which hits most opponents a short distance hits Luigi a bit further away and makes it so the F-smash will be out of range.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
A more practical usage I think is a to simply dash up to your opponent unexpectedly and then jump back and air dodge. That signals to your opponent that you wanted to approach but now you're just panicking and don't know what to do. This is a bait for them to approach on the ground. So throw out the LL Fair if they approach and then combo them to their death.
thats a fantastic idea, using it as a bait! this is the sort of thing i was hoping for. a jump back air dodge could be good too, since most would try to punish the air dodge lag which would be negated by the autocancel! nice thinkin

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Also I've been labbing up percents where this true combos (cuz this got me quite excited... and I'm home sick from work)

And another great way to use this tech is to catch opponents as they are off-stage right by the ledge. This works surprisingly well cuz Luma kind of moves downwards in the LL Fair motion. I usually try and edgeguard with LL Dair because Luma plants himself right by the sweet spot. But now if my opponent is at a percent where they can be combo'd by LL Fair that is the preferable option.

Works particularly well with characters who don't auto ledge snap or with characters who have no hitboxes on their recovery.

Huh, and here I was thinking that those weren't actual combos (I... Never bothered to examibe the frame data).

Anyway yeah! Grab release into min untethered distance Luma USmash is a thing that I like to do but as you noted it isnt a true combo. If you read an airdodge you can frame trap them though. And I dod not know about the UAir setup! Very nice.

Also I dont think grab release > Luma UTilt is that bad if you get the shoryuken sweetspot.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Also I dont think grab release > Luma UTilt is that bad if you get the shoryuken sweetspot.
is that possible? i thought the 8 dmg hitbox on utilt was on grounded targets only, or at least leveled. just to devils advocate, a backthrow would do more dmg than grb releasr to utilt.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I am not entirely sure about item 1. But I think you're supposed to tech the moment you hit the ground. If an opponent does a tech'd regular get up then Warp into Uncharged F-smash will combo so its not that bad a situation. But if they tech roll the set up is avoided and you should probably just reel luma back in and play neutral.

As for Luigi by traction I mean he's literally too slippy slidey. The term is traction, think like physics and friction. Luigi when touching the ground slides further away than other opponents. So the luma warp hitbox which hits most opponents a short distance hits Luigi a bit further away and makes it so the F-smash will be out of range.
Traction is the right word. If something has a lot of traction, it has a lot of grip and which means it does not slide. If something has little traction, it tends to slide more.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Yeah this has definitely been one of the best uses of LL I've seen so far. I love using it to start uair juggles and set up early kills at the top platform of Battlefield. It's pretty damn satisfying.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
uthrow to spin jab, and hes right, its fast fallers only and finnicky. its heavily percent dependent and ive seen foxes immediately powershield it. still, its amazing, one of her best combos.

i discovered a new true combo recently which surprised the heck outta me. dthrow to perfect pivot rar bair, does 20 something dmg if both rosa n luma hit. its her hardest combo ive seen, but its great. found it works on mewtwo at 0 percent, fast fallers at higher percents. (i should clarify i dont fully understand how to do it every time, its either a perfect pivot or a rar, or something inbetwen. maybe i can do a video tonight)
I'm going to try this out good find.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I'm going to try this out good find.
thanks! are you referring to dthrow to bair? let me know what you find out if you get the exact inputs down, i still havent had time to really sit down and figure it out. it's pretty difficult to input and get it listed as a true combo in training mode but i think if someone got the timing down they could do it consistently.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
thanks! are you referring to dthrow to bair? let me know what you find out if you get the exact inputs down, i still havent had time to really sit down and figure it out. it's pretty difficult to input and get it listed as a true combo in training mode but i think if someone got the timing down they could do it consistently.
Yeah I couldn't get the timing down but I only tried for about 5 minutes. I'll mess around with it a bit more. Although I'm a little concerned that DI will make it not work.

Also if you do this right and get both luma and Rosalina to hit it should be a 3 hit combo doing 24%. Rosalina hit only makes it do 20% and luma hitting alone does 13%

Also you said this is the hardest hitting combo you've come across but dthrow uair dj uair is a 5 hit combo that does 37% (oonly works if there's no DI).

But I'll test it some more and post my results. When I get the chance.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Yeah I couldn't get the timing down but I only tried for about 5 minutes. I'll mess around with it a bit more. Although I'm a little concerned that DI will make it not work.

Also if you do this right and get both luma and Rosalina to hit it should be a 3 hit combo doing 24%. Rosalina hit only makes it do 20% and luma hitting alone does 13%

Also you said this is the hardest hitting combo you've come across but dthrow uair dj uair is a 5 hit combo that does 37% (oonly works if there's no DI).

But I'll test it some more and post my results. When I get the chance.
Sorry by hardest I meant hardest to input, not hardest hitting. And you're right, DI ruins everything, but it's possible this might end up in a frame trap situation if they air dodge.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Sorry by hardest I meant hardest to input, not hardest hitting. And you're right, DI ruins everything, but it's possible this might end up in a frame trap situation if they air dodge.
Oh yeah this is pretty hard to do. I haven't been able to get it to true combo yet but I need to mess around with it more. If I'm able to get it down I'm going to try to FF bair to see if I get any follow ups from that also. More testing is needed though.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
You might wanna check, but on low % im quite sure fthrow combos to both upsmash, uptilt and starbits, meaning it might be possible to squeeze in the aerials you mention too.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
So i've been trying this out in training mode, and Luma never seems to be in the right position for the up air after the air release.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I've noticed that sometimes when I do uthrow to utilt, Rosalina's halo will miss completely and only Luma's hit will connect. Needless to say this does pitiful damage.

I'm not sure if it's based on DI, damage, weight, fall speed, or some combination.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
So I've noticed that sometimes when I do uthrow to utilt, Rosalina's halo will miss completely and only Luma's hit will connect. Needless to say this does pitiful damage.

I'm not sure if it's based on DI, damage, weight, fall speed, or some combination.
it's DI, unfortunately it's fairly easy to get out of

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
LL Fair into Utilt/Uair is another pretty good combo(if it hasn't already been said). At low percents, LL Fair-> Utilt is an easy, inescapable 13%.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
This tech is so great but so impossible to hit people with.
I found another bait though to help you land this setup.
Full Hop Nair gives you just enough time to sneak an LL Fair in there. Pretty good bait cuz Rosalina is too floaty to just be Full Hopping Willy Nilly.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
This tech is so great but so impossible to hit people with.
I found another bait though to help you land this setup.
Full Hop Nair gives you just enough time to sneak an LL Fair in there. Pretty good bait cuz Rosalina is too floaty to just be Full Hopping Willy Nilly.
fullhop fair works too and yeah, i find this working in situations where im not approaching but being approached, like when im landing from high up.
if you havent played around with it yet try the running approach, use cstick while holding towards your opponent.
if only she wasnt so floaty, this would be like a falco shine

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I personally enjoy airdodging after running off a platform and throwing out a LL on the the first IASA frame. It also works very well if you cancel your airdodge lag with a LL in situations like when you're being edgeguarded because even if it whiffs or gets shielded, you have pretty much secured your landing as you are lagless with a hitbox in front of you.

Most of the time though the bait works and catches people off guard if they go on the aggressive to punish your airdodge lag.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
so, this is a percentage specific combo. there's an easy formula for calculating rage, though. it's roughly 1% increase in knockback per 10% damage you have. so if this is a guaranteed kill on marth at 80%, you'd want to set up the combo at 70% if you're at 100%.

move stagnation i believe is 2% for the first time the move is used, then 1% per time used until a max of 11%.

i think the combo is flexible enough to not worry about how stale your luma fair is but rosa's upair should probably always be fresh to guarantee a kill here. i don't know for sure if it calculates luma and rosa's moves separately, like for example if you hit someone with 10 luma utilts would it weaken rosa's utilt? if not then just make sure you connect with luma, luma's knockback is enough to kill near where this combo puts your opponent. otherwise a fresh uair is going to be required. or at least lightly used.

edit: actually no, if you're high enough % odds are your rage will override rosa's uair's stagnation, so you should be fine every time.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Since this is the GR thread I huess I'll post this here.

I don't know if this legit or not but here's something I found while messing around with grab release stuff.

So After a grab release I've been able to hit the following characters with luma warp:

Pikachu
Villager
Yoshi
Luigi
Metaknight
Toon Link
game and watch

Somethings to note the timing can be weird and I'm not sure if it's a legit set up. I was having trouble getting smash attacks to connect but was able to get most aerials to connect. Depending on when they luma warp hits. But once you get the hang of that you should be able to hit with the appropriate follow up. I was able to delay the luma warp a bit and get a smash attack. Didn't try any tilts to see if I could juggle them in between luma and rosa. Potential grab release kill set ups also.

Edit: I'm a bit slow but after trying it out and rereading the OP. The GR to luma warp doesn't work. I could be interpreting things wrong but GR luma warp seems like a pretty solid frame trap. If Rosalina is +10 aftwr a grab release and luma warp is 14 frames that's a 4 frame window.

The interesting part apart this is some characters when grab released will land on Luma. Ither options would be air dodge attack or DJ away. Most of the options still puts the opponent in a bad situation. Some characters (tlink) fastest move is 6 frames. So it's probably a situational gimmick to use every now and again. I'll play around with it a bit more. But unfortunately gr to luma warp isn't a real thing.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I've been testing this on Yoshi and every time he seems to get released further than every other character. It is possible to combo after the grab release but from what I've tested, it really depends if Luma decides to just move further away.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Yoshi's release is weird, yeah. I didn't mess around with this on many of the other characters much yet but he seems like he can likely escape uair.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Who merged all of these separate posts into one thread?

I am about to post a kill percentage guide and I'm curious why the past thread I made was stuffed into here???
While this thread makes sense its kinda disrespectul to take a bunch of true-combo % ranges and put them in a thread called "situational Rosalina Combos". When I worked specifically to make sure these combos were not "situational" and found where they were guaranteed.

Its pretty discouraging to work hard and create content for these forums but have the information be tucked away somewhere else (categorized incorrectly!) without my knowledge or consent.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I am about to post a kill percentage guide and I'm curious why the past thread I made was stuffed into here???
While this thread makes sense its kinda disrespectul to take a bunch of true-combo % ranges and put them in a thread called "situational Rosalina Combos". When I worked specifically to make sure these combos were not "situational" and found where they were guaranteed.

Its pretty discouraging to work hard and create content for these forums but have the information be tucked away somewhere else (categorized incorrectly!) without my knowledge or consent.
Yeah I'm not sure why the threads got merged. While the thread title is situational combo it's named that because the combos aren't likely to happen. But in certain situations you have a chance to optimize your damage and if you come across thise situations you should know how to follow up. If you wish I can change the thread title and update the OP to add your findings and other stuff. As well as giving credit where do.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
and now we have a giant mess.

I feel like this makes the board look even more disorganized. Good luck to the poor soul who decides to open this and has to figure out what people are talking about when two similarly dated threads are being discussed simultaneously.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I feel like this makes the board look even more disorganized. Good luck to the poor soul who decides to open this and has to figure out what people are talking about when two similarly dated threads are being discussed simultaneously.
If that's true, then I'm afraid that the damage has been done; thread merging can't be reversed.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
If that's true, then I'm afraid that the damage has been done; thread merging can't be reversed.
ah well, it's not the end of the world.
i think an easy fix may be just to make a new thread, name it Rosalina Combos, and build a table of contents with links to threads therein. but thatd require work and im supposed to be at work.
wait would that even work? itd require a new post to be at the top.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
ah well, it's not the end of the world.
i think an easy fix may be just to make a new thread, name it Rosalina Combos, and build a table of contents with links to threads therein. but thatd require work and im supposed to be at work.
wait would that even work? itd require a new post to be at the top.
Well for starters, you can try to go through everything inside this thread, and combine all the information into a single post on a new thread. By doing that, this thread will become obsolete, and things will be cleaned up more.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Well for starters, you can try to go through everything inside this thread, and combine all the information into a single post on a new thread. By doing that, this thread will become obsolete, and things will be cleaned up more.
alright, i can give it a whirl. if anyone else is more willing or excited about formatting, please do this before i do. it will be very boring and condensed looking if i do it

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Firstly, the problem with all the threads I asked to be merged were that, due to how they were worded, could easily be assigned to any part of Rosalina. Combos from Rosalina's f-tilt, Combos from Rosalina's d-tilt, etc. In theory, we could've had half the front page filled with very small combos Rosalina can do off each individual move and off of tricks threads. So instead of havinng that, it instead made sense for it to all be in the situational thread since it was basically the only combo thread.

It could use a name change sure. As for the second part, well, thats all well and noble and we all appreciate it...but there are still regulations to follow. If a thread ends up making the entire experience worse, (even if the reason for making it wasn't bad itself), it needs to be taken care of.

Lastly, a Kill percent guide is different from combos. So unless there is already a thread on kill percents, you are good to go.

I took the time to skim some and read some. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I followed conversations pretty well with one or two instances that made me go "huh?" but event then reading ahead helped me understand it.

Either way, I'm fine with a new thread being created as long as this one gets locked. It should be easy to gather the correct data now that it is all in one thread anyhow.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Lastly, a Kill percent guide is different from combos. So unless there is already a thread on kill percents, you are good to go.
I will continue to find and post helpful information about this character but clearly smashboards forums are not the right place to share this information.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I'll get it fixed up. So that it can be a better resource thread.

Started working on the OP if anyone has suggestions just lmk. Also I'll update the OP with the stuff that's been posted here. When I get mire time/ a chance.

Edit: nevermind don't feel like putting in the work. I'm fed up with site.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I will continue to find and post helpful information about this character but clearly smashboards forums are not the right place to share this information.
Yea, if you find a place with more relevant information and discussion about playing this game and the character, let me know, im not into the kind of discussion done in the general chat here since im here for learning /discussing about competive Rosalina.

This is by far the hardest part of the forum im currently checking to learn new relevant information, however theres often some but theres tons posting on very irrelevent stuff for competive play atm :/

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
@ Nd_KakaKhakis Nd_KakaKhakis @ S Smasher89

im kinda with you guys on this.

i dunno, the only other alternative is nintendodojo. do either of you use it? there's a rosalina group on there, was some discussion on there a while back, i dont know if it still goes on. i know dabuz and xaltis are there.

PuzzlerBoy

Smash Rookie
Something I discovered for myself in training mode and didn't see posted here -

If you short hop, charge luma shot a tiny bit, and release it while falling back down so luma ends up being spaced away and higher up than normal, the first hit of rosa's down smash will combo with the second hit of luma's at high percents (and it can kill). It can also work with luma warp if you b-reverse the luma warp. When I say high percents I mean like 85ish to 130ish; the range for which it actually combos together varies depending on the character (and the rage effect I guess).

Luma has to be higher up because down smash sends opponents up a bit if I remember correctly. I can check once I get back to my console. And as for whether
the b-reverse for the luma warp edition depends on your horizontal momentum changing (i.e. moving and facing away from your opponent and then towards after the b-reverse) or not I'm not sure. I don't know if this works with power luma shot, but I sure as heck wouldn't try it in a match while using that custom. I also have no clue whether this can be DI'd out of but I doubt it as it goes pretty fast; I'm fairly certain you can't airdodge after the first dsmash before the second gets ya.

So hurray for down smash combos!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I'm not sure if this is known already, but I was messing around a bit in Training Mode and discovered that a lunar landed Luma Fair can true combo into grab if you catch them during the hitlag. IDK what this would be used for, but ... yeah. It's a thing you can do. You can also combo lunar landed Luma Fair into a double jump upair for a kill around the 90-100 range.

Top Bottom