• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Combo Thread (WIP)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Going to attempt to make this the main combo thread for Rosalina. Since there's a lot of stuff floating around but no general thread.

Bair combos

Bair to DA 4 hits 22 dmg
Bair to ftilt 3 hits 21 dmg
Bair to dash grab

Things to note bair should hit twice giving you 15 dmg. Idk if max range bair works so you may get punished. Jab or dtilt should work I haven't been able to get them to.

Fair combos
1st or 2nd hit fair to usmash /ultilt /fair

The fair stuff seems a lot worse than bair. I wasn't able to play arlund with it too much. So I don't have percentages. Fair is probably easier to lunish and has more landing lag than the bair. When are you going yo attempt fair approaches? Also I have no clue if fair fair actually combos it seemed like it did. If it does nair should work as well.

Shanoa Combo

No, it's not that.

I haven't gotten many opportunities to use this combo in my latest tournament, so I might as well spill the beans. Every time I managed to pull this off, my opponents were unable to get out of it.

I discovered this when I found out that Luma's Jab2 can sometimes connect with U-Tilt for a true combo. I fooled around with all the different options Luma can do from Jab2 and then I came across this.

To be honest, I don't know how useful this is, and I'm still trying to figure things out.

Basically, you start with a detached Luma in front of you. You can easily set this up by firing an uncharged Luma shot.

From there, Luma should hit the foe with Jab1>Jab2>Buffer a Full Hop U-Air, which is a true combo on most weight tiers.

From there, the opponent should be sent backwards in the air towards Rosa. If you did a Full Hop while performing Luma's U-Air; you should be able to DJ and connect a U-Air of your own on the opponent. Landing the sweetspot on this will kill some characters at 80% and above.

The combo connects at a wide range of percents. I practiced this mostly on ZSS.

Some characters like Jigglypuff drift too high to land the combo and at lower percents where it can connect, the U-Air at the end is not enough to kill them. Heavies can sometimes get out at low percents during the Jab2>U-Air part of the combo.

Try this out and let me know what you think. :p

Nair combo

Last hit of nair around 60 or 70 percent the last hit of Rosalina's nair combos into luma warp. From there you can go into the Shanoa combo I think. Or you can go into w.e luma warp combos into. Didn't test too much may be weight/fall speed dependent.

Luma Warp combos
Throw combos
Grab relase combos
Dtilt combos
Luma Landing combos

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I know a bunch of useless but cool combos that are totally situational. One of my favorites is autocanceled dair to uair, you have to hit at the proper angle with Luma so it sends your opponent straight up, basically Luma has to be above and inside them, and then you can uair before their hitstun ends.

Oh, here's another weird one. If sheik downthrows Rosa around mid percent and you DI up and towards you can mash uair and sometimes Luma, who's still on the ground next to where Sheik grabbed you, will launch Sheik up into Rosalina's uair halo. Works on a few characters, but again, very situational.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I know a bunch of useless but cool combos that are totally situational. One of my favorites is autocanceled dair to uair, you have to hit at the proper angle with Luma so it sends your opponent straight up, basically Luma has to be above and inside them, and then you can uair before their hitstun ends.

Oh, here's another weird one. If sheik downthrows Rosa around mid percent and you DI up and towards you can mash uair and sometimes Luma, who's still on the ground next to where Sheik grabbed you, will launch Sheik up into Rosalina's uair halo. Works on a few characters, but again, very situational.
Yeah that's a pretty good tactic. I've been using it and it helps. Of course the sheik can shield but you slow down her folliw ups quite a bit.

While messing around with the bair stuff. I was able to get bair to DA to work at 40 percent. I'm going to mess around with it a bit more but I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm going to try retreating bair to DA and see how it works. If you can still combo with that I think it's going to be a pretty decent option for Rosalina.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
The tricks posted in this thread are pretty good. I just discovered a true combo with detached Luma that kills ZSS (training mode) at 77% (even works up to 130% and above). I won't share it with you guys just yet, I'm still trying to figure out if it's escapable and if it works on all weight tiers.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
The tricks posted in this thread are pretty good. I just discovered a true combo with detached Luma that kills ZSS (training mode) at 77% (even works up to 130% and above). I won't share it with you guys just yet, I'm still trying to figure out if it's escapable and if it works on all weight tiers.
Oh man, looking forward to this!

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Oh man, looking forward to this!
Just keep your expectations low, so far there doesn't seem to be any problems with it. I'm going to test it in my next tournament on Saturday so we will see how it goes.

By the way, if anyone finds any good/broken techniques or combos with a character, I recommend that you keep it secret until balance patches are gone for sure.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Just keep your expectations low, so far there doesn't seem to be any problems with it. I'm going to test it in my next tournament on Saturday so we will see how it goes.

By the way, if anyone finds any good/broken techniques or combos with a character, I recommend that you keep it secret until balance patches are gone for sure.
I'd rather share it and advance Rosalina's metagame and help others if possible. Because of our character if there's another patch I expect her to get nerfed. I think she's the most hated character in the game.

Also I think the last hit of her nair combos into usmash i haven't tested it yet but I looks like it may work. I guess I'll try to find stuff with nair when I'm able to.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I'd rather share it and advance Rosalina's metagame and help others if possible. Because of our character if there's another patch I expect her to get nerfed. I think she's the most hated character in the game.

Also I think the last hit of her nair combos into usmash i haven't tested it yet but I looks like it may work. I guess I'll try to find stuff with nair when I'm able to.
You kind of contradict yourself though. You say that if there's another patch, you expect Rosalina to get nerfed, yet if we find great combos and other AT and share therm, that only gives more reason for Nintendo to Nerf her. The outcry will be even greater for a Nerf. I fully expect a balance patch when mewtwo gets here.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You kind of contradict yourself though. You say that if there's another patch, you expect Rosalina to get nerfed, yet if we find great combos and other AT and share therm, that only gives more reason for Nintendo to Nerf her. The outcry will be even greater for a Nerf. I fully expect a balance patch when mewtwo gets here.
No contradiction at all we should share. Whether or not we share tech Rosalina will get nerfed in a balance patch.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
No contradiction at all we should share. Whether or not we share tech Rosalina will get nerfed in a balance patch.
Well yes and no. Unless you work for the Dev team on smash, you can't definitely say whether there is it isn't a nerf to Rosalina coming up. What we can determine that is plausible is the more powerful we make Rosalina, the more hatred and outcry there will be. Will Nintendo listen? I don't know. But we can surmise it won't help her case. At this point we have to determine risk versus reward. Is the risk of advancing Rosalina's metagame worth the risk of a nerf in the future? I think so.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I'm predicting a balance patch during Mewtwo's release, and maybe a small one afterward to tweak some issues. The balance patches got me a little defensive when it comes to people sharing ATs and combos. And I'm kind of afraid that they will fix exploits like autocancelled Luma aerials and maybe roll out a nerf if Rosalina is still high up in the For Glory data.

I'll share the technique with you guys for sure when Mewtwo is released and there are no announcements of a balance patch afterwards.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Well yes and no. Unless you work for the Dev team on smash, you can't definitely say whether there is it isn't a nerf to Rosalina coming up. What we can determine that is plausible is the more powerful we make Rosalina, the more hatred and outcry there will be. Will Nintendo listen? I don't know. But we can surmise it won't help her case. At this point we have to determine risk versus reward. Is the risk of advancing Rosalina's metagame worth the risk of a nerf in the future? I think so.
I'm basingmy opinion on the amount of salt Rosalina generates. It's pretty absurd actually the things people say. Then theres times when I play or and I'm like thus chick is nuts. Maybe it's just me but I've done things that take me off guard.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Didn't Nintendo outright say "No more balance patches, huzzah!" a while back? I remember quite the outcry that Diddy was here to stay, when everyone expected a plethora of nerfs. I see your point that many companies tend to make widespread balance changes whenever new content is released, but I can't see Nintendo contradicting itself here just because a character they've been planning for months is being released. On top of all that, a balance patch this late into the game's lifespan would be really jarring to the casual playerbase this game is supposed to be targeting. If there's any balancing to be done, it will most likely be to fix issues with Mewtwo in the weeks following his release.

( Oh, and congrats on 5000 posts @ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY )

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Oh wow I noticed an award but didn't realize that it was for 5k post.....I post a lot and don't really say anything oh well.

As for a balance patch I think it was a poor translation. It's not really that late in the games development. I welcome balance changes as long as it's not nerf top tier. I'm really hope for more content from this game more stages more characters and more colors.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Oh yeah...More stages / colors / characters would be fine. I truly believe Nintendo's main motivation is keeping the game standardized for the audience that doesn't play it competitively ( It's really only a guess, but it fits Nintendo's MO ), so adding, rather than changing would be in their best interest.

...I would totally buy DLC that included nothing but fancy Rosalina + Luma skins. The amount of adorable costumes they can stuff Luma into is nearly limitless.

Oh, and on topic, I'll try to save some GIFs of oddball Rosalina strings as they happen, and post them here. I don't usually care that much when they happen, so my replay folder is pretty empty, but if they help someone out there see an opportunity they wouldn't have otherwise noticed, then I might as well share.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I think that if we do see a balance patch in the future, it will mostly be for removing certain unintended ATs and glitches. They may toss in a few nerfs if they have the time.

I love Rosalina's situational combos and follow ups. I find that my ability to improvise based on Luma's positioning makes me a much better Rosalina competitively, so I think it's good to practice these type of things if you want to sharpen your Rosa skills.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Just messed around in training mode and D-Throw to Luma's U-Air at low% also works when Luma is at a set distance in front of you. I've been testing it out some more and you can get U-Air or F-Air follow ups out of it depending on where the U-Air sends them. If away from you go for F-Air, if straight up or towards you use U-Air.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
If i remember correcly, autocanceled luma is mentioned in a tips ingame, so they probably wont get rid of that..
I think the killsetup with detached luma is rosalina dtilt, luma upsmash, it generally works on "high" % with decent spacing.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
If i remember correcly, autocanceled luma is mentioned in a tips ingame, so they probably wont get rid of that..
I think the killsetup with detached luma is rosalina dtilt, luma upsmash, it generally works on "high" % with decent spacing.
Is Luma at the default detached position?

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
nah, more likely luma will be further away for that, an example (even though lumas offstage) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Z3NRmE35M#t=1m20s

Lower % (0-40 or something similar) fthrow to luma upsmash (if luma is looking away, timing is much stricter if he looks towards rosalina) works from the default detached position.
No, it's not that.

I haven't gotten many opportunities to use this combo in my latest tournament, so I might as well spill the beans. Every time I managed to pull this off, my opponents were unable to get out of it.

I discovered this when I found out that Luma's Jab2 can sometimes connect with U-Tilt for a true combo. I fooled around with all the different options Luma can do from Jab2 and then I came across this.

To be honest, I don't know how useful this is, and I'm still trying to figure things out.

Basically, you start with a detached Luma in front of you. You can easily set this up by firing an uncharged Luma shot.

From there, Luma should hit the foe with Jab1>Jab2>Buffer a Full Hop U-Air, which is a true combo on most weight tiers.

From there, the opponent should be sent backwards in the air towards Rosa. If you did a Full Hop while performing Luma's U-Air; you should be able to DJ and connect a U-Air of your own on the opponent. Landing the sweetspot on this will kill some characters at 80% and above.

Some characters like Jigglypuff drift too high to land the combo and at lower percents where it can connect, the U-Air at the end is not enough to kill them. Heavies can sometimes get out at low percents during the Jab2>U-Air part of the combo.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No, it's not that.

This is interesting I'm going to give it a shot in the next couple of days or when I'm able to practice unfortunately my time to practice is virtually non existent. But I do like the concept of this and the possibilitiesit brings out. I'll admit though I haven't explored Rosalina and Luma detached combos too much and that's something which needs to chanfe. Throw customs in the mix and the possibilities are limitless.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
This is interesting I'm going to give it a shot in the next couple of days or when I'm able to practice unfortunately my time to practice is virtually non existent. But I do like the concept of this and the possibilitiesit brings out. I'll admit though I haven't explored Rosalina and Luma detached combos too much and that's something which needs to chanfe. Throw customs in the mix and the possibilities are limitless.
Speaking of customs, I just found out that the appearing hitbox of Luma Warp can true combo into this. That's pretty cool because it makes it a lot easier to set up in a real fight.

Also, you can perform this combo when Luma isn't detached if Rosalina's Jab hitboxes don't connect. The whole point of this is to kill from a range but it's still good to know.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
At lower percents, it seems to combo better into Fair. It seems like a good tool to add to the RosaLuma arsenal.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
At lower percents, it seems to combo better into Fair. It seems like a good tool to add to the RosaLuma arsenal.
You only want to Fair if the opponent is too far away to connect an Uair. Uair does more damage and it puts the opponent in more favourable positions because you can juggle from there.

Trying to find more ways to set up this combo. Just pulled it off by launching someone in front of my detached Luma from Rosalina's multi-hit Jab and starting the combo.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Man I finally got around to testing this jab jab uair and it's pretty sweet. With luma warp it's even better. I think this is going to be a staple for Rosalina. Hopefully we can find more things like this.

The last hit of nair combos into luma warp around 60-70%. I think they maybe able to tech. Also nair can combo into dash attack. Last hit of nair. I was watching dabuz vs dkWill and saw him use bair to dash grab ito utbrow or dthrow (i forget) to 2 uairs it was a lot of damage. .... nair at low percentages should combo into most of her moves so far I have gotten jab dtilt ftilt grab. I think usmash works . But you have to be really close which means poorly spaced nairs.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Man I finally got around to testing this jab jab uair and it's pretty sweet. With luma warp it's even better. I think this is going to be a staple for Rosalina. Hopefully we can find more things like this.

The last hit of nair combos into luma warp around 60-70%. I think they maybe able to tech. Also nair can combo into dash attack. Last hit of nair. I was watching dabuz vs dkWill and saw him use bair to dash grab ito utbrow or dthrow (i forget) to 2 uairs it was a lot of damage. .... nair at low percentages should combo into most of her moves so far I have gotten jab dtilt ftilt grab. I think usmash works . But you have to be really close which means poorly spaced nairs.
You think it's that useful? I hope so. We should find out with some DI testing. I tested with 2 controllers and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how Rosa can dash grab grounded foes with a boost grab. I think Bair to boost grab is a true combo if they missed the tech. It does do a ton of damage combined with a U-Throw to Uair juggle.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Oh! I don't know why I didn't mention one of my favorite bread and butter combos.

Jab1 > dtilt > boost grab ( off the ground )

Of course, the opponent has the option to tech, but I've found people don't often tech Rosalinas down tilt, and even if they do, they're almost always in range for you to tech chase them for a follow up. It's a great combo to set up low percent edge guards, as they're sliding a large portion of the stage and usually end up near the ledge. Between all the hits, the throw, and the possible throw follow up, you can usually rack a good 30-35% with this option.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You think it's that useful? I hope so. We should find out with some DI testing. I tested with 2 controllers and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how Rosa can dash grab grounded foes with a boost grab. I think Bair to boost grab is a true combo if they missed the tech. It does do a ton of damage combined with a U-Throw to Uair juggle.
Yeah I think it's going to be a big deal especially with customs. It improves her neutral a bit and gives you an extremely dangerous combo. Stray luma jabs converting into combos and potentially death is huge. Like you said there's still di to take into account. But it's definitely something I want to work into my game.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Yeah I think it's going to be a big deal especially with customs. It improves her neutral a bit and gives you an extremely dangerous combo. Stray luma jabs converting into combos and potentially death is huge. Like you said there's still di to take into account. But it's definitely something I want to work into my game.
Yeah, we should do some DI testing because I did a bit of testing of my own and it looks like it's inescapable. If it indeed is, then the combo is a lot more useful than originally thought.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah, we should do some DI testing because I did a bit of testing of my own and it looks like it's inescapable. If it indeed is, then the combo is a lot more useful than originally thought.
Yeah it would be nice if that this wasn't affected by DI. I'd also like to point out that luma jab 2 also combos into nair.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Interesting, will definitly try it out tonight when i get my weekly offlinepractice.
The doublejabcombo on shiek and cf can be ended far offstage with nair/dair to save time for quicker kills, didnt think about upair after doubeljab :D

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Yeah it would be nice if that this wasn't affected by DI. I'd also like to point out that luma jab 2 also combos into nair.
Really? I'm going to test this out for combo potential. Maybe I can cancel the nair with star bits to extend the combo.

Interesting, will definitly try it out tonight when i get my weekly offlinepractice.
The doublejabcombo on shiek and cf can be ended far offstage with nair/dair to save time for quicker kills, didnt think about upair after doubeljab :D
Hmm, that sounds pretty useful. I'm going to incorporate that if I manage to hit someone with Jab off-stage.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Really? I'm going to test this out for combo potential. Maybe I can cancel the nair with star bits to extend the combo.

Hmm, that sounds pretty useful. I'm going to incorporate that if I manage to hit someone with Jab off-stage.
Idk if you can cancel into star bits the first hit of nair has a lot of knockback. So it ends up sending people pretty far back.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Idk if you can cancel into star bits the first hit of nair has a lot of knockback. So it ends up sending people pretty far back.
Hmm yeah it doesn't work. I was thinking of an autocancel nair to star bits which is apparently a true combo.

Just tried out your Nair > Luma Warp combo set up. It works pretty well and true combos the whole way through until the killing blow. I got to work on the angle I hit with Nair to pull this off consistently.

We are pretty lucky that Nair combos into Luma Warp at 70% because 78% is the earliest kill percent when starting this combo. We manage to get the kill by a hair.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hmm yeah it doesn't work. I was thinking of an autocancel nair to star bits which is apparently a true combo.

Just tried out your Nair > Luma Warp combo set up. It works pretty well and true combos the whole way through until the killing blow. I got to work on the angle I hit with Nair to pull this off consistently.

We are pretty lucky that Nair combos into Luma Warp at 70% because 78% is the earliest kill percent when starting this combo. We manage to get the kill by a hair.
Yeah depending on how you hit with nair you'll get different results. But this has some pretty good potential. Now I want to test to see how nair luma warp works when pushing an opponent off stage. If it still combos and combos into nair/dair. It's going to be huge imo the knockback on those moves are sick.

Ah man I'm really excited for this stuff I really think it can change rosalina quite a bit.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I've been busy with stuff, but I totally plan to lab it up in the combo department. When I get a chance, I'll post my results.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Welp I'm almost certain that this is extremely significant tech and very useful. We're going to have to dive into this and explore it more but it's pretty awesome. With luma warp the tech is even better.

Combos into luma warp side B and nair. With side B the distance needs to be right and they need to be at the right percentages (over 100).

Now what I'm thinking is potential moves that combo into luma warp dtilt dsmash ftilt (bair?). Those moves stick out to me the most and I just thought of bair. This becomes significant because we're turning primary pokes into combos and potential kill set ups. Very dangerous stuff.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Jab1 > dtilt > boost grab ( off the ground )
This is a great short combo. Something I was finally able to test was a LL Nair into perfect pivot towards the opponent. This really only works as a punish, but the 2nd hit of Luma's Nair will put the opponent in front of you because of the perfect pivot. At this point you can jab1>dtilt>boost grab. Or any other combo. Doesn't quite work with a LL Nair into dodge roll because there is too much end lag. Also, works much easier on larger opponents because of their hurt box.

The jab1 jab2 upair is very awesome. Kills Bowser at 95% I'm having a difficult time buffering the jump to up air. Any tips? I usually either up smash (another great finisher, if you don't mind waiting for later kills) or I jump too late and can't reach the opponent before hitstun ends. The few times I have gotten it, it works beautifully.

I'll keep working on different setups.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
This is a great short combo. Something I was finally able to test was a LL Nair into perfect pivot towards the opponent. This really only works as a punish, but the 2nd hit of Luma's Nair will put the opponent in front of you because of the perfect pivot. At this point you can jab1>dtilt>boost grab. Or any other combo. Doesn't quite work with a LL Nair into dodge roll because there is too much end lag. Also, works much easier on larger opponents because of their hurt box.

The jab1 jab2 upair is very awesome. Kills Bowser at 95% I'm having a difficult time buffering the jump to up air. Any tips? I usually either up smash (another great finisher, if you don't mind waiting for later kills) or I jump too late and can't reach the opponent before hitstun ends. The few times I have gotten it, it works beautifully.

I'll keep working on different setups.
Make sure you're doing full hops when you jump and if you jump forward it makes it a bit easier. If you're getting usmash you're inputting it to quickly slow down a bit and you should be good.

Top Bottom