• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Combo Thread (WIP)

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
This is a great short combo. Something I was finally able to test was a LL Nair into perfect pivot towards the opponent. This really only works as a punish, but the 2nd hit of Luma's Nair will put the opponent in front of you because of the perfect pivot. At this point you can jab1>dtilt>boost grab. Or any other combo. Doesn't quite work with a LL Nair into dodge roll because there is too much end lag. Also, works much easier on larger opponents because of their hurt box.

The jab1 jab2 upair is very awesome. Kills Bowser at 95% I'm having a difficult time buffering the jump to up air. Any tips? I usually either up smash (another great finisher, if you don't mind waiting for later kills) or I jump too late and can't reach the opponent before hitstun ends. The few times I have gotten it, it works beautifully.

I'll keep working on different setups.
What I'd do when I can't get the timing correctly is mash jump after you land the jab2. It takes a little bit of time for Rosa to act out of jab2 so the timing can feel a little weird.

Mashing out of the lag guarantees you the timing and it can give you a better idea on how you should do it, just make sure to still perform the full hop if you are doing so.

Edit: D-Tilt > Luma Warp is a pretty legit set up for the combo, provided the foe doesn't tech.

D-Tilt to Luma Warp works at 50 to around 73% on ZSS, and if you use it around 70%'s you can turn it into a death with the Jab1> Jab2 > Uair combo. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hmmmm I was watching iggy vs AeroLink and he went for the Shanoa combo a couple of times. He didn't get it but he still was in pretty good position afterwards.

SW 21 - iiGGY (Rosalina) vs AeroLink (Palutena) - Winners Semi Finals: https://youtu.be/O37rtaKwONA

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Wait, if nair combos into luma warp, couldn't we jab lock (or reset IDK which is which). Luma warp does little enough knockback where it can be used to jab lock.

EDIT: Nair=>luma warp=>charged luma f-smash is a thing at certain percents
But it is a bit difficult

EDIT 2: Also, where in the video did he use the combo? I watched it yesterday but I didn't notice it.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Wait, if nair combos into luma warp, couldn't we jab lock (or reset IDK which is which). Luma warp does little enough knockback where it can be used to jab lock.

EDIT: Nair=>luma warp=>charged luma f-smash is a thing at certain percents
But it is a bit difficult

EDIT 2: Also, where in the video did he use the combo? I watched it yesterday but I didn't notice it.
He tried in the 2nd and 3rd matches, but was unsuccessful in completing the Shanoa combo (is this the official term?, cause I like it).

Jab lock is where you lock your opponent in repeated jabs to where they cannot do anything. This is represented by the Luma infinite on sheik and c.falcon.
Jab reset is where the opponent has fallen on the ground, and by jabbing them, you reset them to their standing position. By resetting them, they no longer have the options to either roll or attack to get up.

Luma warp into combos is definitely something that needs to happen. Especially the Luma warp into Shanoa combo.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Hmmmm I was watching iggy vs AeroLink and he went for the Shanoa combo a couple of times. He didn't get it but he still was in pretty good position afterwards.

SW 21 - iiGGY (Rosalina) vs AeroLink (Palutena) - Winners Semi Finals: https://youtu.be/O37rtaKwONA
Yeah he kept getting the sourspot hitbox of the Uair so Luma didn't launch AeroLink towards him to connect the second Uair. It mostly happens when the jab barely connects, like when he caught Palutena's landing with Luma Warp in the Lylat match. He was still able to connect some Fairs though.

He tried in the 2nd and 3rd matches, but was unsuccessful in completing the Shanoa combo (is this the official term?, cause I like it).
I like it too. Haha.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
You can extend the combo I said with jabs too.

Nair=> luma warp=> luma jab one and two=> fsmash

You won't be able to charge the f smash but the jabs will also add damage, especially if you mess up the reset and send out luma too soon or if they tech the landing.

Also, at lower percentages, LL nair will also lead into this Combo.

Shanoa combo is a good name for that combo.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You can extend the combo I said with jabs too.

Nair=> luma warp=> luma jab one and two=> fsmash

You won't be able to charge the f smash but the jabs will also add damage, especially if you mess up the reset and send out luma too soon or if they tech the landing.

Also, at lower percentages, LL nair will also lead into this Combo.

Shanoa combo is a good name for that combo.
The nair is supposed to be a way for you to go into the Shanoa combo. Yes you can do other things after the jabs. Also while you bring it up mixing things up after the 2nd jab could be good to screw up people's DI.

It's something to know that Rosalina has a potential kill combo and moves that set up into it. Which to me makes her a totally different threat than what she is now. But there's also chances to improve / mix up things.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
The following moves combo into the luma warp into Shanoa combo at certain percents on Mario on FD:

LL Bair: 0-120
If you perfect LL and walk/ dash forward a bit before the warp, it extends to atleast 120 but probably further (this probably extends a few others mainly the LLs but I'll add those percents later)
LL Nair (first hit):0-45%
LL Nair (second hit):50-
Bair:
Nair:
Ftilt(only rosa& sourspot):58-100%
Ftilt(both or luma only):0-130%
Dtilt:15-65%
Rosa Infinite jab: really low percent like up to five
Luma infinite jab: same as Rosas

NOTE: after about 150% don't use the Shanoa. The normal jab finisher will kill Mario at that point.

NOTE 2: I'm pretty sure that a lot/ most of these are not true combos. I couldn't test that. This is just a list of what percents moves send enemies in range of luma warp to Shanoa.

As you can see, I'm not done yet. I'll finish this up later. However, I noticed that the LL, especially perfect LL Bair, is probably the best, working from 0 all the way to the lower 100s. The main reason I could'nt continue is because the stage was too short but if it was longer and Mario landed on stage, it could probably extend higher. This LL Bair to Shanoa is beautiful.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
The following moves combo into the luma warp into Shanoa combo at certain percents on Mario on FD:

If you perfect LL and walk/ dash forward a bit before the warp, it extends to atleast 110 but probably further (this probably extends a few others mainly the LLs but I'll add those percents later)
Bair:
Nair:

NOTE: after about 150% don't use the Shanoa. The normal jab finisher will kill Mario at that point.

NOTE 2: I'm pretty sure that a lot/ most of these are not true combos. I couldn't test that. This is just a list of what percents moves send enemies in range of luma warp to Shanoa.

As you can see, I'm not done yet. I'll finish this up later. However, I noticed that the LL, especially perfect LL Bair, is probably the best, working from 0 all the way to the lower 100s. The main reason I could'nt continue is because the stage was too short but if it was longer and Mario landed on stage, it could probably extend higher. This LL Bair to Shanoa is beautiful.
All of these set ups are pretty good.

Note #1 has me wondering if Luma uair is more powerful in terms of knockback and kills earlier than the Luma jab finisher. That would be some very useful information. I'll check it out when I get back.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

Note #1 has me wondering if Luma uair is more powerful in terms of knockback and kills earlier than the Luma jab finisher. That would be some very useful information. I'll check it out when I get back.
Also don't forget that Luma's Jab2 combos into buffered upsmash. I found this out when trying to buffer the jump for the Shanoa combo, but did it too early. Mario dies at 130% from Luma up smash, possibly earlier. Forward smash, uncharged, can kill Mario at about 120%, but I believe that is from center stage. Anywhere closer to the edge could result in earlier kills, possibly 100%. These double jab into smashes could prove more reliable at later %. But it still doesn't beat killing ZSS at 80%.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman

Luma Uaie kills only at high 200s from the ground so finisher is better

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Does anyone know of mid range combos? Anywhere from about 50 to 100%? It seems we have some good starting combos and great finisher combos, but anything in the middle to fill in between the starter and finisher?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know of mid range combos? Anywhere from about 50 to 100%? It seems we have some good starting combos and great finisher combos, but anything in the middle to fill in between the starter and finisher?
Perfect LL Bair=> luma warp=> Shanoa works 0-120%

Throws to fair (idk which ones)
Uthrow to Uair juggle

You're right. We don't have to many I can think of.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
-Everything DisidisiD said
-Sweetspot Nair>Shanoa
-I believe a well timed Bair>Shanoa works early in those %'s (50s to maybe 70s) assuming that no one techs.
-F-Tilt>Shanoa I believe works the same as above.

I'll list more once I get back from school. :p

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Thanks for all of these, but I think I'm looking for combos that don't necessarily lead into the Shanoa combo, but more to get the opponents from around the 50% to the kill percentages for the Shanoa combo. Does that make sense?

Like at 50% detach Luma to default position > ftilt opponent to Luma > Luma fsmash back to Rosalina > Rosalina up smash. This would add about 25% and I would now be ready for the combos that lead into the Shanoa combo, such as dtilt to Shanoa.

P.S. I just made that combo up as an example, no idea if there is any validity to it.

Edit
My goal is this:
Low % combos to get opponent to around 50%, > mid % combos to get opponents to around 80% > setups that lead into Shanoa combo.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Uthrow into Utilt is usable until early 30s, but Is only true at much lower percents. After that, do Uthrow into Uair. After either of these, juggle them. In just a few good hits, they are at fifty or ready to kill (seriously, a two good hits with Uair combined with Uthrow to set up is an easy 30 something percent).

Other than those named, I can't think of too many. Rosa isn't really a true combo character as much. She's more of a see-what-I-can-do-at-the-moment kind of character.

If I think of more, I'll post them.

EDIT: Another good one I just thought of is adding Dtilt to boost grab to the combos I said earlier inn this post. The boost grab to tack on more damage and to take them off the floor of they don't tech. Also, I just tested and the set distance luma will stay from you when detached is good for grab releases. So send out luma then grab and pummel as much as possible until they mash out to Utilt to... You guessed it: juggles. I haven't tried to do it into up smash but it may be possible.

EDIT3: I wrote a fairly long paragraph before for edit 2 but my phone died and it didn't save. Ugh. Anyway, what I basically said is Dtilt into boost grab into the above combos. Also, the grab release combos I said above work with the aerial release of the opponent only.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Fthrow SH or maybe FH luma warp combos I forget the percentage but it's pretty cool. It's probably around 40-60%.

Something to take into account is with luma warp you can combo into most if not all of her moves. Stuff like luma warp to dair and uair work. But it works from a juggle or while they're in the air. It can sometimes work on grounded opponents but it's pretty difficult to get to work. Luma has to be behind grounded opponents for thus to work.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Thanks for all of these, but I think I'm looking for combos that don't necessarily lead into the Shanoa combo, but more to get the opponents from around the 50% to the kill percentages for the Shanoa combo. Does that make sense?

Like at 50% detach Luma to default position > ftilt opponent to Luma > Luma fsmash back to Rosalina > Rosalina up smash. This would add about 25% and I would now be ready for the combos that lead into the Shanoa combo, such as dtilt to Shanoa.

P.S. I just made that combo up as an example, no idea if there is any validity to it.

Edit
My goal is this:
Low % combos to get opponent to around 50%, > mid % combos to get opponents to around 80% > setups that lead into Shanoa combo.
At 50% you can pretty much get into optimal kill percents for a setup'd Shanoa Combo with a guaranteed U-Throw to Uair, which sends the opponent into 71%.

I'm thinking of making a video on how to perform the Shanoa Combo including how to perform some of the Luma Warp setups. I have a bit of footage for it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do it as I don't have a computer and video editing software at the moment. I'll definitely keep you guys updated if I'm going to
be working on it.

EDIT: Found something cool with D-Tilt, if you only land Rosa's D-Tilt; you can combo it into Luma Warp at very useful percents to perform the Shanoa Combo. How you can do this easily is by D-Tilting with Luma D-Tilting the opposite direction. Also, if Luma's hit still manages to connect, you can still connect a Luma Warp combo with a B-Reversed (Important) Luma Warp. This works at 80%, which is really good for landing the Shanoa combo.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Hey. I was just trying out the aerial release combos I had stated earlier but I was having getting it consistently. And then I realized how it works. I don't know if I'm just late to the party but here's what I found. If you catch the opponent in the air or they just normally do an aerial release, then don't pummel for too long. If you want to pummel but also do an aerial release, stop doing pummels a bit before the release. Also, does boost grab always give aerial release. Luma launches them just slightly and, with some characters, that seems to be enough to force an aerial release. I may be completely wrong on how that works but if someone knows or could test what I've said, that'd be great. Also, I don't know just how well the boost grab aerial release works on donkey kong. It just doesn't send him high enough, I guess.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Im not sure about low % combos
but from 50 to above a luma ftilt/dtilt from far away is actually a combo to rosalinas ftilt, after that the combocounter on trainingmode doesnt count it as combo, but you can potencially ftilt again or anything depending on the chars spacing and continue it for a little while, kinda tricky to set up though.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
After some testing I think these are the best setups for the Luma Warp Shanoa Combo:

-LL Bair/LL Nair

True combos without launching the opponent into the ground, so the combo can't be broken with a tech. Also, the former can be used at a very wide range of percents including the optimal kill percents for the Shanoa Combo. The latter is probably the easiest setup to hit your opponent with because it's flexible enough to use with many mix-ups and techniques, such as boosting it's range with a roll. Plus, both hits are good enough to combo into Luma Warp so it's very useful.

-Rosa-Only D-Tilt/Rosa+Luma D-Tilt (Backwards)

Combos into Luma Warp at the optimal Shanoa Combo kill percents for ZSS and Sheik (77-90%, which means with the D-Tilt's damage included you can kill as early as 73%-85% for Rosa's D-Tilt or 69%-100+% when Luma's Backwards D-Tilt connects) but it can be tech'd out of. The trick to get Rosa's hit only while Luma is attached is holding back a little on the analog stick when performing the D-Tilt so that Luma's D-Tilt hits behind you. If Luma's D-Tilt still manages to connect, make Rosa stand up and perform a B-Reversed Luma Warp to connect the combo. The B-Reverse is important because you won't have enough time to turn around and perform the Luma Warp.

-Sweetspot Nair

I feel that we have a lot more reason to space our Nairs considering that it can now be converted into a death combo; killing ZSS and Sheik as early as 69%. Nair>Luma Warp is a tricky combo to pull off but it works up to 80% so it has a decent kill percent range (69%-80%). Techs can't break this combo because the opponent doesn't have to hit the floor.

That's all I have to share at the moment.

By the way, it seems that ZSS and Sheik have the same optimal kill percents for the Shanoa Combo. All my tests are performed on those two.

EDIT: When I was testing, I found something pretty cool. Apparently detached Luma can be catapulted in a direction if Rosa uses Launch Star nearby. Luma goes flying pretty far so I wonder if this could be used for anything. Maybe you can get a crazy swag kill during an edgeguard by catapulting him across the stage and landing a Dair.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
So I decided that it would be a good idea to give this it's own thread so we can analyse it in more depth.

What is the Shanoa Combo?

The combo (currently dubbed the Shanoa Combo), is a true combo that starts from a detached Luma's Jab and ends with a Star/Screen KO at kill percents.

This 4 hit combo deals 18% and can potentially kill ZSS and Sheik as early as 77% and even as late as 130%.

It can be pretty tough to catch your opponent with this combo, but it gets a whole lot better through the use of customs. Luma Warp true combos into the Shanoa Combo, so anything that combos into Luma Warp can essentially be converted into a death combo, like a Sweetspot Nair>Luma Warp>Shanoa Combo.

Not much is known about this combo. DI, SDI, and it's viability against all the different weight tiers are things that are still in need of testing. So far from what it seems, there doesn't seem to be any issues with DI but it appears that the combo can be inconsistent with certain weights. I'll be editing this post in the future as we get results.

How to perform the combo

Start with a detached Luma facing your opponent. Almost anywhere mid-range is fine.

Jab1 > Jab2 >
Buffered Full Hop Luma Uair >
Double Jump Rosalina Uair

When performed correctly, it should look like this:

And now here's where we get to the fun stuff.

LL Bair > Luma Warp >
Jab1 > Jab2 >
Buffered Full Hop Luma Uair >
Double Jump Rosalina Uair

If it was performed correctly without letting the opponent hit the floor, it should look like this:

Alright that's the end of my introduction. If you'd like, you can share your findings and discuss this combo below.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Very nice find. I was curious and had a spot of free time so I went into training mode and did some experimenting with kill %s. Here's what I found.

For reference, "Setup 1" is Luma Warp > Jab 1 > Jab 2 > FH Luma uair > DJ Rosalina uair, while "Setup 2" is LL bair > Luma Warp > FH Luma uair > DJ Rosalina uair. All tests were done on Pyrosphere Omega. All %s listed are before any hits are dealt.

:4mario: 85%*
:4peach: 70% (50%)**
:4yoshi: 80%*
:rosalina: 65% (35%)**
:4dk: 100%*
:4diddy: 90%
:4gaw: 65%***
:4sheik: 80%
:4samus: 85%*
:4zss: 80%
:4palutena: 75%
:4kirby: 65%***
:4dedede: 110%*
:4fox: 80%
:4pikachu: 75%
:4jigglypuff: 55% (15%)**
:4greninja: 80%
:4sonic: 80%
:4megaman: 95%*

*Character breaks out of Setup 1 between Jab 2 and Luma's uair. Setup 2 works fine.

**Character flies too high from Luma's uair to combo in both setups. First % is when the character dies after waiting for them to fall a bit. Second % is when the setup stops being a combo.

***Character flies too high from Luma's uair to combo in Setup 1, but Setup 2 is a proper combo.

My testing only concerned itself with the setups shown in the OP. Conveniently enough, they both did the same amount of damage. For characters on either extreme of the weight/floatiness scale that break out at some point or other, it's possible to skip the fancy stuff and do something simple like Luma Warp > FH Luma uair > DJ Rosalina uair, but this does less damage and kills later. Floaty characters like Jigglypuff and Rosalina herself are particularly hard to combo but that's a general perk of being floaty so it shouldn't come as much surprise.

Bowser is particularly weird. His data was just all over the place so I gave up trying to make sense of it. Kirby and G&W, while light, are just barely on the edge of "floaty" and thus had some weirdness where one setup worked but the other didn't.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I'll add what I said on the Situational Combos thread here.

If you perfect LL and walk/ dash forward a bit before the warp, it extends to atleast 120 but probably further (this probably extends a few others mainly the LLs but I'll add those percents later)
Bair:
Nair:

Now, the percents above have not been tested if they are true or not. These are just percents at which it is possible at all, DI or not.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Very nice find. I was curious and had a spot of free time so I went into training mode and did some experimenting with kill %s. Here's what I found.

For reference, "Setup 1" is Luma Warp > Jab 1 > Jab 2 > FH Luma uair > DJ Rosalina uair, while "Setup 2" is LL bair > Luma Warp > FH Luma uair > DJ Rosalina uair. All tests were done on Pyrosphere Omega. All %s listed are before any hits are dealt.

:4mario: 85%*
:4peach: 70% (50%)**
:4yoshi: 80%*
:rosalina: 65% (35%)**
:4dk: 100%*
:4diddy: 90%
:4gaw: 65%***
:4sheik: 80%
:4samus: 85%*
:4zss: 80%
:4palutena: 75%
:4kirby: 65%***
:4dedede: 110%*
:4fox: 80%
:4pikachu: 75%
:4jigglypuff: 55% (15%)**
:4greninja: 80%
:4sonic: 80%
:4megaman: 95%*

*Character breaks out of Setup 1 between Jab 2 and Luma's uair. Setup 2 works fine.

**Character flies too high from Luma's uair to combo in both setups. First % is when the character dies after waiting for them to fall a bit. Second % is when the setup stops being a combo.

***Character flies too high from Luma's uair to combo in Setup 1, but Setup 2 is a proper combo.

My testing only concerned itself with the setups shown in the OP. Conveniently enough, they both did the same amount of damage. For characters on either extreme of the weight/floatiness scale that break out at some point or other, it's possible to skip the fancy stuff and do something simple like Luma Warp > FH Luma uair > DJ Rosalina uair, but this does less damage and kills later. Floaty characters like Jigglypuff and Rosalina herself are particularly hard to combo but that's a general perk of being floaty so it shouldn't come as much surprise.

Bowser is particularly weird. His data was just all over the place so I gave up trying to make sense of it. Kirby and G&W, while light, are just barely on the edge of "floaty" and thus had some weirdness where one setup worked but the other didn't.
Going straight for the uair after luma warp on light characters is a really good idea. I wonder if some of the characters that break the true combo counter at Jab2 can actually escape the combo because it looks like they are still in hitstun. It could just be like a heavy combo where it doesn't count as a true combo but they actually have no possible way of escaping it.

The combo is definitely weird on Bowser, but it might still just be inescapable. He dies at 95% if I remember correctly.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
So I was testing out some stuff for the Shanoa Combo and I noticed that LL nair (back hit) combos well into aerial luma warp and then any aerial. It probably works with many of her other moves but this is just the one I found.

Possible starting moves (to replace LL nair):
LL Nair (front hit)
LL Bair

NOTE: This takes a ton of practice. I would advise spending quite a bit of time really learning luma warp's distance so that using it at the right distance becomes muscle memory. Also, learn the trajectories that each of these send opponents to be even more accurate. It is difficult because it's not aiming in just the first dimension. You also have to be able to accurately guess at what height the opponent will be at the same altitude as you.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Going straight for the uair after luma warp on light characters is a really good idea. I wonder if some of the characters that break the true combo counter at Jab2 can actually escape the combo because it looks like they are still in hitstun. It could just be like a heavy combo where it doesn't count as a true combo but they actually have no possible way of escaping it.

The combo is definitely weird on Bowser, but it might still just be inescapable. He dies at 95% if I remember correctly.
I think the "inescapable but not technically a combo" only applies to heavies. Light characters like Jigglypuff were jumping away really easily in training mode if I wasn't on point with my inputs. (Side note, Peach's AI seemed to like floating briefly after escaping a hit. Odd.)

Also, LL fair > R&L's linked uair is a similar concept and quite easy to execute. Luma's fair hits the target up, which you wouldn't really expect but it's convenient since uair has a 1 frame window for a proper lunar landing and nair already has horizontal knockback.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I think the "inescapable but not technically a combo" only applies to heavies. Light characters like Jigglypuff were jumping away really easily in training mode if I wasn't on point with my inputs. (Side note, Peach's AI seemed to like floating briefly after escaping a hit. Odd.)

Also, LL fair > R&L's linked uair is a similar concept and quite easy to execute. Luma's fair hits the target up, which you wouldn't really expect but it's convenient since uair has a 1 frame window for a proper lunar landing and nair already has horizontal knockback.
Yeah, it's just weird how it looks like Mario is still getting combo'd, but I'm still assuming that he is able to escape.

I haven't messed around with LL Fair to Uair much, it's one of my favourite autocancel follow ups but I forgot how useful it was.

Oh, here's a post I made in the Situational Combos thread that you guys might find useful:
After some testing I think these are the best setups for the Luma Warp Shanoa Combo:

-LL Bair/LL Nair

True combos without launching the opponent into the ground, so the combo can't be broken with a tech. Also, the former can be used at a very wide range of percents including the optimal kill percents for the Shanoa Combo. The latter is probably the easiest setup to hit your opponent with because it's flexible enough to use with many mix-ups and techniques, such as boosting it's range with a roll. Plus, both hits are good enough to combo into Luma Warp so it's very useful.

-Rosa-Only D-Tilt/Rosa+Luma D-Tilt (Backwards)

Combos into Luma Warp at the optimal Shanoa Combo kill percents for ZSS and Sheik (77-90%, which means with the D-Tilt's damage included you can kill as early as 73%-85% for Rosa's D-Tilt or 69%-100+% when Luma's Backwards D-Tilt connects) but it can be tech'd out of. The trick to get Rosa's hit only while Luma is attached is holding back a little on the analog stick when performing the D-Tilt so that Luma's D-Tilt hits behind you. If Luma's D-Tilt still manages to connect, make Rosa stand up and perform a B-Reversed Luma Warp to connect the combo. The B-Reverse is important because you won't have enough time to turn around and perform the Luma Warp.

-Sweetspot Nair

I feel that we have a lot more reason to space our Nairs considering that it can now be converted into a death combo; killing ZSS and Sheik as early as 69%. Nair>Luma Warp is a tricky combo to pull off but it works up to 80% so it has a decent kill percent range (69%-80%). Techs can't break this combo because the opponent doesn't have to hit the floor.

That's all I have to share at the moment.

By the way, it seems that ZSS and Sheik have the same optimal kill percents for the Shanoa Combo. All my tests are performed on those two.

EDIT: When I was testing, I found something pretty cool. Apparently detached Luma can be catapulted in a direction if Rosa uses Launch Star nearby. Luma goes flying pretty far so I wonder if this could be used for anything. Maybe you can get a crazy swag kill during an edgeguard by catapulting him across the stage and landing a Dair.
Also a random cool thing I found recently; a SH Dair loses it's lag right before you hit the floor so it just barely autocancels. But you can use this tiny window to input an aerial and essentially easy bake any LL aerial except Uair.

Last edited:

KenjiOtto

Smash Rookie
yo, my man this is so ****in awesome, i wish i could play like that but im not skilled at doin combos, i only win by makin reads and mind games

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
yo, my man this is so ****in awesome, i wish i could play like that but im not skilled at doin combos, i only win by makin reads and mind games
D: Don't worry dude, just keep practicing combos and strings and eventually you will master them. Incorporating reads and mind games into your strings and follow ups is what makes a player good at this game.

Just so you know, iiggy and myself did testing a while ago, it can be DIed away from and airdodged out of reliably.
Which part of the combo can be escaped reliably? And are you talking about all weights?

Last edited:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Everything after Luma's upair. All Weights. Obv. certain floaties get frame trapped for air dodging but they shouldn't die regardless.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Everything after Luma's upair. All Weights. Obv. certain floaties get frame trapped for air dodging but they shouldn't die regardless.
That stinks... I'm wondering if you can DI the opposite direction and end up in front of Luma, it looks like you might just be limited to DIing straight above him.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Well what happens is when they DI at death %s, you have to read the DI and pre-emptively move yourself towards them, then if they airdodge, welp. Luckily if you read the DI they can't jump away.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I swear, ever since Ken got his combo dubbed the "Ken combo" back in the Melee days, so many people have tried to put their name on a combo or another.

I don't like it being called the "Shanoa combo". I prefer to call it the "Rosie drinks your tears combo".

Top Bottom