• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rollout Mechanics

dudutsai

Smash Lord
A few things about rollout...

When charging rollout, a variable (I call it momentum) builds up, until it reaches maximum. This is when Jigglypuff starts to sparkle.

Every time you turn around on the ground, it subtracts a set amount of momentum. The maximum amount of times you can turn around is 5 (it might be 4, I don't remember exactly).

There are two ways to turn around at the edge:
1. Turn around early, and let the momentum carry you to the edge (you won't fall off).
2. Turn around late, right before going off the edge (if you don't turn around early, the rollout defaults to the late turnaround).

It is possible to cancel the rollout by turning around on your last turn just in time to grab the edge. After extensive testing, we came to the conclusion that it is all about momentum from the last roll.

When using rollout on platforms, it is a lot harder to turn around after the last roll, simply because many platforms aren't big enough to gain enough momentum.

If you charge a rollout on the very edge of the platform aimed towards the edge, you're ****ed.

If you hit with the rollout:
- If you hit while Jigglypuff is in midair, and you released the rollout in midair, then the knockback sends the opponent vertically upwards.
- Otherwise it sends them sideways at a low angle.

After hitting with the rollout, you pop up and go into a rolling in midair animation, which causes you to not be able to grab ledges. A little after you pop up, you can't DI.
If the ground below you is rising vertically while you hit something during your rollout on the ground, you will stop in place. ie. try this on corneria while the ship is moving upwards

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
other things I know you may want to know. pichu's non charged side-B beat a fully charged rollout more damage look it up in pokemon.

That and on hyrule I noticed you can cancel rollout without landing on the edge easily.
on the middle of hyrule with the hole chagre tollout on the right side and have puff nearish to the edge and use sing rollout then and it will be canceled for whatever reason
_________ __
_________L L

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
general overview of rollout mechanics:

don't use it.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
you can sweetspot edges with rollout. except if you hit someone in midair you cannot (yet you can still DI).

if the ground below you is rising vertically while you hit something during your rollout on the ground, you will stop in place. ie. try this on corneria while the ship is moving upwards

any mechanics / game physics you have should be addressed towards magus as he does or did main jiggs and dealt quite heavily with melee physics

Palpi

Smash Hero
I saw some Jiggs at Apex charge it for only a second then release it. It doesn't like it will do anything, but it actually had decent knockback. I forget who it was against, either magus or doll.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yeah I actually asked Magus about it at APEX, and he had never heard of canceling the ending lag with the edge before. I tried showing it to him, but gave up after failing 20 or so times in a row...

It was only after a lot of testing in Slow Motion Melee that we figured out exactly how to do it.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I thought I saw a jiggs jump facing right, start charging rollout, hit the ground and be facing left and release left. Is this at all possible or was I seeing things (aka once you charge you can't change directions til you release)????

dudutsai

Smash Lord
You can't change direction after beginning the charge, but you can turn around in midair, like with lasers, or any other B move.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
After hungrybox's performance at Rom I'm thinking we should reopen discussion of the rollout. I've been using it for years, and from what I can tell the people who do best against it are the ones that give it a lot of respect.

What do you guys think are some good setups for this move?

Tags

Smash Cadet
If anyone is charging a smash attack from a distance hoping you'll go into it, you could probably use rollout and get a hit. Like when the moon was charing shield breaker, hungrybox just charged rollout since the moon had to inevitably release his attack and hbox didn't.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Oh good idea ill try it. I like using rollout when on fd because there aren't any platforms to run away

dudutsai

Smash Lord
What situations do you mean? I think so too, but it's more specific situations I'm concerned with. I find using it from neutral state isn't good most of the time

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Yo I don't use Puff in this game, but I'm #1 with her in Brawl, and I imagine the Rollout mechanics are pretty similar
Assuming they are (cbf testing atm)...

Change in direction actually gives you a speed boost, I believe, rather than taking away speed, but the move has a time limit of sorts (which is why you can't just turn around over and over). Because it can't change direction in the air, this means that you can slow to a stop in the air right before you hit the ground, and then shoot off in the opposite direction.

As someone else said, it KOs even when it's slightly charged, which throws a lot of people off. If you are falling with someone and you've got the hard read that they are going to throw out a move to cover themselves (nair or something) and you're slightly out of range, Rollout can get you a free KO just by charging it slightly as you fall.

You can charge it when off-stage and mix-up between going for a platform, the stage and the ledge (though I understand sweet-spotting with it is harder in Melee?), which throws people off. You can charge it super high up and release as well once you're comfortable with how far it goes, letting you land on the platforms on the opposite side of the stage and such (though the fact that it puts you in special fall, where-as Brawl rollout does not, probably lessens the utility of this).

Actually another disadvantage of the fact that it puts you in special fall is that you can't:
-rollout onto platform
-change direction
-fly off platform and hit stage
-change direction
-change direction

Unfortunate 4 u guiz, but I hope this was insightful or some ****.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yes a lot of problems come up with the special fall, and using it as a recovery is scary because it just means you can be punished both while recovering, and after the animation ends. I usually just use it charged from the ground, and almost never use it in the air, but insightful nonetheless.

Tags

Smash Cadet
I use it once in a while as a recovery because most people either assume I'm going to land on stage or aren't smart enough to just take the hit off stage so I die.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I've been using this secret techniques for rollout for years. When you are on the ledge you can jump off and charge rollout for a little bit then release to catch the edge again. It's not super useful but is a cool looking stall.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
I find rollout to be pretty effective in team battles. Depending on your opponents, most prefer to double team your buddy rather than edge guard a puff. So I like to use this time to charge rollout. If I see either opponent commit to something, I let loose and often kill someone. But you definitely need to be smart about it. If think you have a pretty good chance of hitting your buddy, just sweetspot the ledge.

This can apply to anytime your buddy is getting double teamed. Start charging on any far side of the stage, and you've effectively created a death zone straight in front of you. Look for any wombo opportunities or opponents committing.

As for singles, I still think rollout can be useful. Just play smart. If your opponent punishes your rollout with ease, maybe don't use it against them. If they freeze like a deer in headlights, then you might be able to get away with it occasionally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom