• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocket Lawnchair! Metal Slug for Smash Bros.!

Voe

Smash Journeyman
SInce Banjo & Kazooie didn't get any Rare or Microsoft themed Mii costumes, for some odd reason, I kind of nervous that we won't get a Marcus Mii Gunner costume for when Terry releases. Then again if Goemon can be brought back from the dead and added in Smash as a Mii costume then there's always the chance we could get a Metal Slug costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as we know, there's no arbitrary limit for company characters debuting in one game at once, so we may not have seen everything major planned for SNK yet. :ultmegaman::ultryu:

Though at least it helps that the majority of their fighting games don't seem to be in the running for this time anymore, if that reveal trailer was any indication. There's very few other noteworthy SNK properties that can be used when you take the non-FF fighting games out of the equation.

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
The wait will be long but I'm optimistic as long as the Terry release video doesn't include Marco as a Costume for Mii Gunner.
By the way, I like the idea of his trailer being a continuation of the Terry one, with all the characters that missed the invitation trying to grab a new one and racing each other in different SNK stages, only for it to get grabbed by General Morden (like in the ending of Metal Slug 1 where he grabs the paperplane) with everyone surprised and him laughing, just for everyone to get send flying far-off the screen by a cannon bullet, then the metal slug is shown, and Marco jumps out of it to grab the letter.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So...I'd considered a possible Metal Slug character when I heard about the SNK leak, and my initial thoughts on it were "They're basically like a Contra character. And I'd much rather have a Contra character."

Then I saw the suggestion that the Metal Slug character just ALWAYS be riding in the tank. That it's really the tank that's the character, and you could have Marco, Tarma, Eri or Fio riding it, Bowser Jr. style. And that idea makes me much more interested in the character.

1567844235540.png

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, finally updated the OP supporters list! Sorry it took so long.

Personally I am thrilled just to see SNK representation in Smash. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen due to SNK's current position as a niche company, but they're such an integral part of Japanese video and arcade game history. And while I would have preferred a Metal Slug character, I'm perfectly happy with Terry.

That said, Metal Slug hasn't been deconfirmed. It's possible that later down the road SNK gets to put another character in, and I would be very surprised if that character isn't Marco (or the whole crew as alts, which many have suggested).

While I understand the appeal of the idea of the Metal Slug characters riding the tank, I'm personally not on board. First because I think it would severely limit their possible special moves. But second because it doesn't reflect how Metal Slug actually plays, and I think that's something that Sakurai has tried to respect whenever possible. Still, I'd be more than happy to see Metal Slug represented in any way, shape or form.

Here's hoping for no Metal Slug Mii Fighter costumes when Terry drops!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey guys, finally updated the OP supporters list! Sorry it took so long.

Personally I am thrilled just to see SNK representation in Smash. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen due to SNK's current position as a niche company, but they're such an integral part of Japanese video and arcade game history. And while I would have preferred a Metal Slug character, I'm perfectly happy with Terry.

That said, Metal Slug hasn't been deconfirmed. It's possible that later down the road SNK gets to put another character in, and I would be very surprised if that character isn't Marco (or the whole crew as alts, which many have suggested).

While I understand the appeal of the idea of the Metal Slug characters riding the tank, I'm personally not on board. First because I think it would severely limit their possible special moves. But second because it doesn't reflect how Metal Slug actually plays, and I think that's something that Sakurai has tried to respect whenever possible. Still, I'd be more than happy to see Metal Slug represented in any way, shape or form.

Here's hoping for no Metal Slug Mii Fighter costumes when Terry drops!
Yeah I mean, imagine seeing the Peregrine Falcons even perform Ralf and Clark's moves for some of the CQC attacks, that'd be hilariously awesome.

In any case, most of SNK's fighting games have seemingly been passed over for now (KOF, Art of Fighting, possibly Samurai Shodown), so that helps.

Nothing says a game company can't have a second character in the same game, after all. :ultmegaman::ultryu:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
SNK was a company that I always thought should be represented in Smash, but probably wouldn't be. I'm grateful for Terry being here at all even if Marco wasn't with him. Besides, you just know Metal Slug is the next frontrunner anyway.

Also, I've seen the Metal Slug itself suggested as a clever way to play as the whole Metal Slug cast, but to me it would feel like I'm playing as none of them and I'd much rather have Marco do Hero's thing with his alts instead. It'd be a huge shame to bar them from their signature HEAVY MACHINE GUN. Save the Metal Slug for the final smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah man, people think Eggman with his Eggmobile would be impractical in size, yet a Metal Slug's a-ok? That's not how it works.

Besides, the only small model that even has limbs is the SVW-001 Slug Gunner from 5. And I have a hard time seeing material after the first three games getting involved except Nadia, Trevor and the Ikari Warriors (sans Leona) at most.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I only knew of SNK because of Metal Slug. I remember playing it for the first time in an arcade machine at a mall when I was very young. This is the only SNK series I'm experienced with, so of course I'll support.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah man, people think Eggman with his Eggmobile would be impractical in size, yet a Metal Slug's a-ok? That's not how it works.
Does Eggman have a legit shot? He doesn't have the red flags of Assist trophies and Mii costumes the other main Sonic characters have, just a spirit... One that's prominently in the menu's Spirits image for all to see, but still? Also a unique second 3rd party franchise rep is as of yet unprecedented, but so was any second 3rd party franchise reps over a year ago, and maybe Sonic would be one to get that instead of a clone?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does Eggman have a legit shot? He doesn't have the red flags of Assist trophies and Mii costumes the other main Sonic characters have, just a spirit... One that's prominently in the menu's Spirits image for all to see, but still? Also a unique second 3rd party franchise rep is as of yet unprecedented, but so was any second 3rd party franchise reps over a year ago, and maybe Sonic would be one to get that instead of a clone?
It could be possible. Let's not forget that he debuted in the series at the same time as Sonic, way back in the first game at 1991, so it would make sense.

Depends on what the next course of action is regarding the next few characters.

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I completely support Metal Slug, I think the characters that should be are Marco with Fio Tarma and Eri as alts, because they are the best known characters from the franchise, But if we could fill the 8 alts I could see other characters like Trevor, Nadia, Walter or Tyra

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
So let's say Marco gets in, how would he look in Smash? He has a lot of different styles, personally I'll go with the MSXX look

AlRex

Smash Lord
These are basically my most-wanted characters at this point, though I kind of want it to have the four mains as alts. for each other, and the ability to potentially switch between being a on-foot gunner and the tank, though that could intersect with Blaster Master's potential gimmick, who are another semi-obscure duo I wouldn't mind seeing. But still, definitely consider me on board as a supporter, even if it's this late after Terry was announced.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Well I really hope in this upcoming direct the slug squad doesn't get Mii'd

Looma

Smash Journeyman
We might be soft deconfirmed but at least it was with MUSIC AND NOT MII COSTUMES BABY

ASSAULT THEME CONFIRMED

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace
The fact that Sakurai mentioned Metal Slug multiple times during that stream and the only content we got were music tracks seems slightly suspect. None of the music tracks reference any particular character so I wouldn’t count it as a soft deconfirm.
If post-pass characters don’t come with music, especially.

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Sakurai referenced Metal Slug a damn lot to let it just be music tracks and nothing else.
I'm gonna hope there's more than just that

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was getting nervous when the Mii costumes came, after all the stuff apparently leading to that. Luckily, it didn't happen. So maybe the PF squad can be a standalone character with Marco as the base. I was also halfway expecting a KOF stage cameo, and that didn't happen either.

One thing for sure is though, Ralf and Clark won't be playable, so we can't count on them getting in as alts. Makes sense, since they're actually guests in MS.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
damn marco isn't even in this game right now and he STILL got more music than cloud

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
They also skipped Mii Gunners for this new pack, it is pretty suspicious indeed.
Also, I don't think music can deconfirm a character (at least in this case), MS still can get new remixes of the songs that got arrangements (and smash has already done remixes of songs that have gotten remixed) along with other songs that aren't in KoF Stadium (come on, no Midnight Wanderer, Windy Day, Asian Impact, Barracks/Sortie/Last Resort or Livin' on The Deck? And 2's version of Judgement instead of MSX's version?).
I'm more optimistic of MS getting a playable character now, imo only a mii costume or spirits can deconfirm them.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, DLC ones.

In the meantime, how many of you have gotten the Metal Slug: The Ultimate History art book? I recently got my copy and I love it.
I just found out about this book a week or so ago. I'm definitely picking this one up soon.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Looking at it again, it's really weird that we have an Ikari Warriors song and a spirit but Metal Slug remixes with no spirit. You'd think that Metal Slug would be notable enough for that, it's not exactly a Mai Shiranui situation.

Futureproofing?

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I kinda want a Metal Slug rep now not so much for Metal Slug itself, but so an Advance Wars character like Sami could be a potential echo fighter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Looking at it again, it's really weird that we have an Ikari Warriors song and a spirit but Metal Slug remixes with no spirit. You'd think that Metal Slug would be notable enough for that, it's not exactly a Mai Shiranui situation.

Futureproofing?
I think it's due to Metal Slug's lack of presence in the KoF series. Then again if that were the case we shouldn't have had a Haohmaru spirit.

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I think it's due to Metal Slug's lack of presence in the KoF series. Then again if that were the case we shouldn't have had a Haohmaru spirit.
Well Fio was a striker in kof2000 and playable in Maximum Impact 2, so at least she would have been a spirit or be a npc in the stadium.

Though I'm sure we'll get more SNK stuff in the future, they really like doing crossover stuff and are really open to anything (not saying Marco is all but confirmed, but we might see Metal Slug content in the future, either spirits, costumes or hopefully a playable soldier).

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I know Marco and Eri had a cameo in KoF 2002 UM's Cambodia stage.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.30.57 PM.png

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
The new Resident Evil spirits event got me a bit worried that Nintendo can do one with Metal Slug and deconfirm them.

D

Deleted member

Really happy about the recent news!!!

Recently I've really wanted to play the first Metal Slug Game, and for 6€ I may be able to pick It one of these weeks.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I dipped into the series with Metal Slug X a month or 2 ago. It was a good time (appreciated the more comical edge on the wartime theme), so I'm glad to hear the series is getting a second wind.

On that note, I'd be down with a Smash inclusion for the the ol' quartet of Marco, Eri, Tarma & Fio (maybe they can pull a Hero or Bowser Jr. there). Lord knows the material is there...

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
And again, the squad is safe from becoming Mii Costumes or Spirits.
Really hopeful for Marco & Co. in joining the game still

Top Bottom