• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors

Status
Not open for further replies.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You can consider the crowd shouting out random stuff coaching if you want, but that isn't what I care to be banned. Also, for the record, I don't really care about coaching at these tournaments or many tournaments really, but I think at large scale tournaments (MLG for example) coaching should be looked at more seriously.
whats the difference between whether someone in the crowd is shouting out the same advice as someone who's sitting right by the player? The so called "advantage" is still given to that player. We can go ahead and ban what you think coaching is, and that coach can just shout from the crowd.

i just dun want people calling out my c4/landmine D:
at high level play, does snake's gameplay include hoping the opponent forgets where the c4 and landmine is? i don't quite understand.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Ok lets just say that the crowd shouting is listened to equally as well as someone right next to you coaching you (which is BS btw). The advantage is not the same. Both players will hear what the crowd is saying, so both players can adjust how they are playing to accommodate the information shouted out. Not to say that it is an equal exchange, I am just pointing out that both players benefit from the crowd shouting out things regardless as to who it is supposed to help.

Limeee

Smash Champion
at high level play, does snake's gameplay include hoping the opponent forgets where the c4 and landmine is? i don't quite understand.
no, it doesn't

and what are you talking about high level play? were in alberta man, not MLG

on stages like lylat, people can forget where the c4/landmine is, its not that we depend on it

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh i see what you're saying. To be honest with you, I've never heard of someone whispering tips into someone's ear during a match before. That's what you're trying to get at right? Cause otherwise, both players would be able to hear in any other case =p

if you don't depend on it then no johns imo

Limeee

Smash Champion
oh i see what you're saying. To be honest with you, I've never heard of someone whispering tips into someone's ear during a match before. That's what you're trying to get at right? Cause otherwise, both players would be able to hear in any other case =p

if you don't depend on it then no johns imo
not whispering, and what does it matter if both players hear it?

i know where my **** is cause i place it

also, your entire argument went down the drain when you said no johns

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
check out luke's post. if both players can hear it then it wouldn't matter whether or not you're being coached from the crowd or right by your side, which makes the rule very hard to moderate.

obv you know where your stuff is cause you place it, but good players should be able to know where it is as well >___> is all i'm trying to get at hear.

Well its true. Would you rather me say no excuses and suck it up?

Limeee

Smash Champion
good players can forget things too >.<

keep in mind i don't mind if someones giving out general advice, like stop using that move, punish that move i couldn't care less

telling me to suck it up or no excuses is not a legitamate argument

EDIT: new avatar is legit, vic

T-block

B2B TST
there's definitely a case for jamie's side

keeping track of snake's traps is undeniably part of a player's skillset in brawl. it could be said that if one player has someone keeping track of explosives for him, it's no longer a strictly 1v1 situation. if people actually do that, then i would be against it.

i also agree with luke. for things less specific (but even still as specific as telling MK to use up-b OoS more against marth or something), if both players hear it, then both players can use it. it does change the game, and if i had to choose i'd rather not have it, but with the fact that this kind of thing is very difficult to enforce, i think it should be allowed.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
how about everything is allowed except for letting the player know where snakes mines and c4s are? >___>

that seems like the only problem. Everyone else, including luke, seems to agree that enforcing a ban on coaching is a little too srs for our events.

Limeee

Smash Champion
its not just snakes c4/mine.
theres alot of things, like someone keeping warios fart timer, or how much GnW has in his bucket
but i agree to that

T-block

B2B TST
there are other things as well =\ jamie brought up DK's 9-wind punch (which is stronger than fully charged, but with no SA btw). what about when peach pulls a stitchface? when sheik manages to jacket her chain? the timer on wario's fart? charge on ROB's laser? how many projectiles are in GW's bucket?

i'm sure i could get even more ridiculous examples

edit: ah get ninja'd

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
k wow...really? do people really need to be reminded about stuff like that? or need to worry about the other player being reminded of that?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
chill out vic, its just discussion

its better than this being albertas 2nd social thread
yeah i know, i'm not mad or anything lol. Sorry if i'm giving off that vibe.
i know it's silly

but when it comes to rulesets i prefer to have them clear and concise with no room for interpretation
i seriously don't understand though. Like...I can't say much for brawl, but when I play melee as peach and I get a stitchface or something...I don't care whether or not my opponent knows I have it or not. I'd still play as if they know. I can't rely on something so silly like hoping they didn't know or didn't see that I have a stitch face.

On second thought, I seriously think that people are whining way too much about coaching revealing tedious silly little details like that when they should already play as if their opponent already knows.

TheCresent

Smash Apprentice
Lol Jamie you're just using Xyro's argument and running off of it. Because honestly I've never heard anyone call out your C4/Landmines before in our small tournaments in a real match. So I don't see what the big deal is.

Also as a snake player myself, I could care less if the opponent gets advice from the crowd on where my C4/Landmines are because when they do it makes them play a lot more safe avoiding it, putting me in prime position to push on the offense. It doesn't really hurt Snakes game anyway because the majority of the time a smart player will keep his eye on the C4/Landmines so it's not that big of a deal, what's key here is to pressure your opponent into your C4/Landmine area's and capitalizing, you seriously can't expect a high level player to just run in yo shiizz without even knowing unless you pressure them and keep their mind on other things like defense.

Limeee

Smash Champion
i don't see why everyone disapproves of me quoting xyro >.<

and it has happened jack.

i realize it doesn't hurt snake, but thats irrelavant

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
thanks jack <3 thats what i like to hear.

there has seriousbly been only 2 instances where alberta has come together to take on a legit smash related discussion. Stage striking in melee and coaching LOL.

T-block

B2B TST
As another fellow Snake player, I think the solution is to use less C4 so this isn't an issue. Also, it's well-known that Jamie does not think for himself, but rather uses the arguments of those defending the side he wants to win =P

I've never heard it either, so I was kinda surprised when Jamie seemed so adamant about it. Agreeing with Jack, but at the same time, if the player is not keeping track he should be disadvantaged in some way. Maybe it shouldn't affect the way the Snake player plays, the fact is you are a worse player if you are not keeping track, and are less deserving of the win.

I'm not being very clear, but my point is if you don't keep track of Snake's explosives yourself, and you lose because of them, it's your fault. If you are warned of them and avoid that loss because of someone else's "advice", you avoid losing not through your own efforts, but through someone else's.

Limeee

Smash Champion
thanks jack <3 thats what i like to hear.

there has seriousbly been only 2 instances where alberta has come together to take on a legit smash related discussion. Stage striking in melee and coaching LOL.
and gay brawl stages ^_^
As another fellow Snake player, I think the solution is to use less C4 so this isn't an issue. Also, it's well-known that Jamie does not think for himself, but rather uses the arguments of those defending the side he wants to win =P

I've never heard it either, so I was kinda surprised when Jamie seemed so adamant about it. Agreeing with Jack, but at the same time, if the player is not keeping track he should be disadvantaged in some way. Maybe it shouldn't affect the way the Snake player plays, the fact is you are a worse player if you are not keeping track, and are less deserving of the win.

I'm not being very clear, but my point is if you don't keep track of Snake's explosives yourself, and you lose because of them, it's your fault. If you are warned of them and avoid that loss because of someone else's "advice", you avoid losing not through your own efforts, but through someone else's.
i realize your trollin with that first paragraph, but it still bugs me when people think that.

I don't even know what adamant means, but i started this cuz i'm waiting for my buddys to come over and i need something to do

so, final thoughts on this rule?

T-block

B2B TST
yeah can't forget the stage fiasco

adamant is +atk -spatk nature... also means angry

eh...my opinion right now is
a) it's not a big issue
b) it's difficult to enforce

so unless there are any serious objections, my laziness says we leave it alone, and if it actually becomes a serious issue we can address it later

Limeee

Smash Champion
we did crews last monthly >.<

and please, don't suggest the tier wars **** thats in the tactical discussion

tier wars doesn't even sound like fun

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh that sounds pretty cool imo lol

but yeah i guess middle tier tourney would be neat. Whats the entry cost?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh. im hella broke so i might do that instead of singles or vice versa LOL. Or neither and just do doubles with jamie-kun

Frio

Smash Champion
Wow suck up and do low tier. Since your characters aren't in there anymore you'll be like everyone else now =_=

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Just do mid tier, who cares?

EDIT: Just read the end of the coaching argument, and I think everyone is missing the point as to what coaching is. All of this telling a player about c4/mines/dkpunch/gaw bucket/rob laser etc. is not what I am getting at. I am getting at having a person sit down next to you, who's specific job is to try and pick up on any bad habits your opponent has and then telling them mid match. This happens A LOT, even at our monthlies, and it's actually an issue.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Low Tier now officially loses Pokemon Trainer, Ness and Bowser, as we do not consider E Tier as a Borderline Low. However, Ness & Bowser were originally voted as Upper Low, but rather than another tier both were bumped into E. Hence, one could consider both Ness and Bowser acceptable characters in Low Tier tournaments.
you could still use jiggs maiko =p

you don't use pokemon trainer anyways. heehee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom