• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limeee

Smash Champion
Man, Jamie really was playing amazingly in our set o.o I didn't do that much at all lol

My arms hurt again... wtf ._. I may have to retire after all
thats such bull**** haha.
against mark and luke i felt really useless, all i did was shuttle loop :/

i think the reason we got so far is because our playstyles work so well together

:009:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm good for just about whatever. Just so long as I know when it is so I can book the time off immediately.

[EDIT]

Sure, Mike. We'll team! I'm also going to be using a couple other characters too, like Fox or whatnot. I'll see what I practice with. Either way, should be fun.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Oh ****, I did say that we would team the next time you showed up and I was there, didn't I. Totally slipped my mind.

YOU TWO. FIGHT TO THE DEATH.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
well if brandon said he was going to team with devilwillcry or exec//prgm.trig or whatever his name is then i'll need a teammate too darren

Limeee

Smash Champion
Next tournament, we should have the two 5th spot players fight and the two 7th spot players fight, to determine who is 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Since our PR has 8 spots, I think if we did this, it would be easier to determine rankings from results.
I know tourney results aren't everything but it is a part of the PR.

Also I just want a salty rematch in case I place the same as kyle again :).

Cathy

Smash Cadet
Well, even assuming that skill can be quantified linearly (which is a premise of rankings in general, so it's acceptable here), only the top n results of an n-elim tournament are guaranteed to be accurate. Which is to say, assuming linear skill, the winner is guaranteed to be better than everybody else and the second place player is guaranteed to be better than everybody except the winner. However, in 2-elim, there is no guarantee that the third place player is better than every player in the lower spots (however, it is guaranteed that they are at least better than a certain number of people related to the logarithm of the number of entrants). So anyway we all know that, and it's considered acceptable to give money to the third place person anyway. (Partly because we have pools.)

But the farther you go down, the less accurate the results are guaranteed to be, so the logic of breaking places with matches like that doesn't really make sense mathematically (which is to say, an n-th place player isn't necessarily worse than an m-th place player, where m>n, and the proposed tie breaking scheme doesn't pair off n-place player with m-place players, only n-place players with n-place players). However, the "tie breakers" would offer additional information in the sense that they are matches where somebody wins and somebody loses, and under the premise of linear skills indicate that one person is better than the other one.

I guess the reason not to do it is that since they aren't really tournament matches, it's not really any different from just playing friendlies -- they aren't really establishing the tournament order anyway (which we only really know for the first two players). But they still do provide additional information. Just my initial thoughts.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Cathy the main difference here is that it's a really small tournament, and we've all played each other. Often times the people who are placed together (the two 5th's and 7ths) are often considered close in skill, and having them do a tie breaker set would help narrow down who should get what spot on the PR.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
I think we all know each other pretty well by now to determine who's better players.

Also 2 people playing against each other for tie breakers could be biased cuz a bunch of people in the spots to determine tie breakers really only play 1 maybe 2 characters and matchups could skew the results in one person's favor even if they are, overall, not quite as good a player

I'm against tie breakers personally

Limeee

Smash Champion
I heavily disagree with the first statement IMO. It changes like every tournament. A few tourneys ago i would get ****ed by kelvin but this time i was just behind him in mk dittos.

Character selection/counterpicking is part of your skill set though, I can't pick ganon and say im better than everyone (although luke can, because he wooped us LOL) because i have bad matchups.
At mlg they did tie breakers for something alot more important than ranking, money, and matchups were not an issue.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
that's true it is definitely part of ur skill set, knowing matchups and all makes you a better player.

Take for a single example however, someone is really bad at one matchup (like olimar, cuz i dunno how to effing deal with the little ***** haha) and the person the tie breaker is with is with that matchup, they lose and are a worse player because they can't handle a single matchup? I think community opinion is more accurate than tiebreakers

Limeee

Smash Champion
1. Higher placers shouldn't even have a problem like that.
2. Having a matchup you/your character cannot handle is a big chunk missing from your skillset.
3. Everyone that places high plays metaknight anyways, and you need to know that matchup.
tl;dr if you cant handle olimar learn how to and then enjoy success, i sort of did lol

Frio

Smash Champion
yeah, get good like my Mk. I Shuttle loop like no ones business at the top of the map and kill you.
PS any place that's not 1st or 2nd now is a shoot and miss cluster ****

ƸArcher¤AngelusƷ

Smash Apprentice
Just got done on Brawl vs Brandon, was fun, GG's man, gonna keep up the Marth =p

(my l key be broken, so hope you have no problem of the grammar l gotta use to not use that letter =<. New laptop tmrw though =D)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone is suggesting we take the top 8 of the most recent tournament as our PR o.o
This.

The purpose of having the tie breakers would be to HELP in the community's opinion. The PR might reflect results more closely now, but I wouldn't go purely off the results, because in the end it's all about who you beat not how you place.

lilseph

Smash Ace
I was going to respond to Jamie's post about that but I think Mike sums it all up right there.

Frio

Smash Champion
im pretty sure all of our top players have difficulties with match ups. Luke gets ***** by Rob, I get ***** by Diddy, Dan had Diddy and Olimar problems. Jack idk. Kelvin can't do MK dittos too well. Alvin idk

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
well if brandon said he was going to team with devilwillcry or exec//prgm.trig or whatever his name is then i'll need a teammate too darren
Yeah I'd be down to team I guess lol
Man i forget the last time I participated in doubles.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
mike has snake problems, he can't handle it when somebody's snake gets right up in his face

sweet we're gonna beat up on jamie darren! then beat him in bracket too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom