• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
PS Jamie i hate you because you aren't going to animethon you cheap *******.
Aw wait, he's not? I was waiting for him to clap everyone there. :(

[EDIT]

So, looking for your guys' opinion here. At Animethon, show off with Sonic? Or do some Wario shenanigans? Or both?

Frio

Smash Champion
Luke is so diverse, look at his social groups:

~~~ GAY PRIDE SUPPORT GROUP ~~~, The "We all Hate Luke" group, Italian Neo-Nazi Scientologists, Furries of SWF, It's okay, we're asian.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Okay folks as things stand right now this is the floor plan i have submitted to ASAPA (people who run the convention)

Some of the casual area can be converted to more smash setups.

After talking with some people at asapa (guys who run this convention) this event will act as a testing ground for Alberta Beat Down 3 for this summer. I want to make this event as successful as possible and show these guys that unless they let us run this room/event the way we want to, it will never be as successful as it will be.

With the communities involvement, real competition hits animethon and with enough promoting we can do things like I did last year with a starting pot. I want to get a bigger one this year (and not pay it out of my pocket again)

Keith if you want to stream get ahold of me, I've tried to keep in contact with you threw facebook but you hardly reply.

Everyone else. I hope to see you there and please crush some hearts.

Oh also bring flyers and some info on your next monthlies. It'd be ****ty if you guys all came out and did not get even ONE new member for your guys monthly event.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Ahahahaha

One setup for BB.

Expected. I don't even know if it's worth it to go. Why do I even play this game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Ahahahaha

One setup for BB.

Expected. I don't even know if it's worth it to go. Why do I even play this game.
I'd say it's worth going. Just because there's only one official set-up, doesn't mean it can't be run well. Besides, what are we supposed to do, take away from our Smash set-ups? Besides, if anything, come for Extend.

And seeing as we're still a public gaming room, we can't exactly take away from the casual area too. That wouldn't be fair. Play it by ear. If it so happens we need more set-ups for BlazBlue or one of the other games free up, maybe we can add to it.

Also, Ron, I'm still thinking about bringing Melty or not. If I do, I will be dedicated to playing that non-stop (or rather, being there at all times while people alternate turns) because I refuse to leave my computer unattended there. And it won't be until I finish with BlazBlue and Smash (which may not happen if we bring Extend since I'll be playing that)

Frio

Smash Champion
pretty sure you guys will have more than 1 tv in that area anyways =_=. Last year IIRC BB didn't even have a lot of entrants.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Last animethon had a bunch of entrants.

Cept it was ran so ****ty that everyone just left and there were only 5 people left by the end. We started the bracket at like freaking 5 or 6 pm.

And it was indeed one single setup last animethon. I would be willing to bring my PS3 for another extra setup but I don't have a TV.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
The BB scene in Edmonton is sooo small and so hard to keep active in tournaments that I personally just stopped playing the game, it was hard enough to get 16 people to enter ONLINE (most of which weren't even from Edmonton).... So yeah, the best turn out we ever have for BBCS OFFLINE is at the conventions... most of the people are not from edmonton haha

Anyhow 2 tvs per table. I HAVE TO submit something to ASAPA regardless of how many we actually use.

Also, ***** plz. not going to tournaments because of venue fees is a poor excuse, get a better paper route, because that sort of additude really reflects how you understand how tournaments work.

Any major or rather ANY TOURNAMENT should almost always have a venue fee. Those venue fees go towards making sure there is a next tournament, it also helps justify things like "prizes" and things like that.

Example. Lapchi (owner of Canada Cup) flew out 30 international players to Canada cup this year, he charged a pretty steep venue fee, but we understand that he is giving out a 2k starting pot for marvel and street fighter, a 5k set pot for a 5vs5 international tournament. He also gave away a bunch of arcade sticks and other **** as well as trophies and streamed the event. He can't do that **** if he does not make any money back. No matter how much he is getting sponsored, at the end of the day, he has to pay for the hotel, the net, the players the starting pots, the advertisement and so on. When someone says "man I aint going to that tournament theres a venue fee" you are literately spitting in his face.

The best and most obvious way to grow a community is threw tournaments, however, simply hosting them at U of A and inviting a few people isn't cutting it. But flyering the city and shoveling the event down peoples throats is a good way to get some attention. But that is only half the battle. People need to get more out of a tournament then just the tournament, after going to 3 or 4 tournaments it sorta becomes the same ****, the top 8 changes by a small portion and its more of the same ****. So to a casual player who would still come to your event, it doesn't really mean much, they want more, so to give them more you have to justify it.

Animethon charges a venue fee. If they didn't they sure the hell wouldn't be around by the grace of peoples donations. Now there is a venue fee for "Triumph or Die 2", by looking at the amount of money ASAPA will make from the event, they can justify putting in money to make the event bigger and provide a better and more exciting event for people who show up to it. If no one comes, that tells them that something isn't working. It may be that they charge to much, but they have to pay for that room so they want to make money back off of that room. So if the room isn't working they will change **** and perhaps not have a tournament.

The point I'm getting at is, support your community or don't, but don't use a sorry excuse of "theres a venue fee? forget it" because that just reek if ignorance....

lilseph

Smash Ace
Ahahahaha

One setup for BB.

Yeah **** this game. I'm going anyway though:cool:

EDIT: After reading Shiro's post, I feel like an ******* for not going to Canada cup :(

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I don't give a crap about the venue fee or any kind of fee personally. It's not even about supporting the scene or not.

I just don't want the tourney to be ran like last animethon. It wasn't even a tournament by the end of it. If you're gonna charge for a tournament, at least run it. I might not care about the fee but maybe other people do. People don't want to throw their $10 at something that doesn't even happen. It's like paying for a meal at a restaurant and nothing comes until 5 hours later. If you seriously don't care about the game anymore, don't host it or run a tournament for it. Just leave the game out for free play or something.

I would be willing to take over bracket organizing as long as I don't have to deal with the pot collecting Lol. Or hell, if there's even enough people to run a bracket in the first place.

School sux too.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Lol crusayer that post wasn't even directed at you, but sure we can go into that. I wasn't really to run BB the way I wanted to last time because in all honesty I was pretty burnt out. I was in that room pretty much all day for 3 days in a row. however this was only the 2nd day and there is no excuse for running a sloppy bracket. I have someone to run the bracket for BBCS this time, but I am interested in trying to get some online BBCS going and get the stream back up. We need to be streaming SOMETHING if ANYTHING. I'd also like to ATLEAST of top 4 from this event in BB be on stream... of some kind...

Finally Brandon i dont play BBCS I ****ing suck at that game, idk any of taos BnB's and the game pisses me off, changing my characters combos........ WTF RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARW. It annoys me =(

And I agree on school sucking =( ****ing getting up early =(((((

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Is ANYONE bringing a PS3 to this tournament and do any of the consoles have DLC on them?

KillLock

Smash Lord
also anyone not bringing a setup, please consider. We have to leave by 7:30 and with all the tables, plus the two setups that steve will have at the event we'll have a total of 7 setups. Which isn't bad, but we can scrounge in a few more I think.

P.S: We have one additional TV being brought, steve told me. not sure by who, but that means we'll need atleast 1 more wii to make 8 complete setups.

JAPAN FOX

Smash Cadet
I actually set up my PS3 to run on the three cables BEFORE going over to Stefan's this time, so it should actually work properly this time. Won't have to 0waste like an hour on it before we get into Extend lol.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
But that hour is dedicated to Stefan explaining more stuff about Homestuck!

My mind is still full of wut.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
did i mention that noel is banned... her and laichi dressing ****ty at animeconventions is a nono >.< "Looks a morgan"

Frio

Smash Champion
also anyone not bringing a setup, please consider. We have to leave by 7:30 and with all the tables, plus the two setups that steve will have at the event we'll have a total of 7 setups. Which isn't bad, but we can scrounge in a few more I think.

P.S: We have one additional TV being brought, steve told me. not sure by who, but that means we'll need atleast 1 more wii to make 8 complete setups.
He said only 2 tvs per table though and we have 3 tables. We can only use 6 setups =/

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Don't have a converter.

Last couple tournaments with Shiro had one converter being passed around between like 10 people.

I'm just asking because otherwise I might bring my PS3. But if someone's already bringing a PS3 setup, I don't particularly want to lug around that much stuff Lol.

Frio

Smash Champion
sooo,what's going on? Do we need my Tvs?

PS: I see all u lurkers Frio, ChaosDrifter+, Kuraudo, JAPAN FOX, Yoshara, SuPeRbOoM, shiro420, ganonlink

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Frio please do bring your TV it would be most appreciated. And I don't see what the point is in bringing a ps3 when the tournament is xbox only lol

Top Bottom