• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Band 2

Engel

Smash Journeyman

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You do realize that MTV owns Harmonix, right? MTV is going to put it everywhere and anywhere they can. It's no different than the two hour special that Sci-Fi had on Mass Effect. Or any of the launch party events G4 has.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
You do realize that MTV owns Harmonix, right? MTV is going to put it everywhere and anywhere they can. It's no different than the two hour special that Sci-Fi had on Mass Effect. Or any of the launch party events G4 has.
Yeah I know this is MTV's fault, they haven't been remotely good since like the 90's >_>. The little special for the release of RB2 isn't that bad I guess but a reality show? Aren't reality shows bad enough already? It just seems like a stupid idea to me.

Oh and the article about a GH movie: http://kotaku.com/5043289/brett-ratners-guitar-hero-movie-idea-sounds-crappy

Thankfully, Activision isn't in favor of it right now

Engel

Smash Journeyman
What's that supposed to mean? And why does it matter?
A joke saying that making a reality show seems like MTV is a little desperate to get more publicity for the game.

And do you disagree and like the idea? I just think MTV and Activision need to stick to devoting their resources towards making the actual games better and better.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I'm sure if MTV was close to Activision the same thing would be going on. Publicity is great, and I'm sure plenty of people will watch, and enjoy the countdown tonight.

As for the reality T.V. show, I think it's unneccesary as well, but how many resources do you think are going into that? Trust me, Rock Band wouldn't suffer from a T.V. show being released-even if it is stupid. Publicity doesn't hurt.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
But what if the guys in the reality show were to break the instruments or something (lol I guess MTV would just edit it out).... Anyways publicity can be negative sometimes too ;) I just can't see the show doing very well though.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Show doing bad doesn't mean Rock Band doing bad. I agree it's kind of a stupid idea though, so we're on the same page.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
Eh I guess I'd just rather see MTV spend the time/money on getting even more new bands and albums in RB than this. I'm also just sick of reality shows in general >_>

Yaya

Smash Champion
Is anyone watching the Countdown on Spike?

Dude, Someguy913 is in one of the bands and he destroyed his opponent in a drum duel on Everlong

Yaya

Smash Champion
Too much footage of the players and not enough gameplay.

First Match was on Hello, There by Cheap Trick. Someguy's Band came first in it, Die! In a fire came second, and some other band came 3rd

2nd Match was Down with the Sickness on performance mode, the band who's name escapes me was eliminated.

3rd match was Drum Duel on Everlong, Calin vs. The other drummer, complete ownage by Someguy.

Final Round, Painkiller between the final two bands, Someguy's Band won.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I love all the new songs and stuff, but so far the most fun me and my friends have had with the game is battle of the bands. We're ranked 14th out of like 8,000 on the opening day one. Sorta wish you didn't have to unlock songs by doing challenges, but whatever.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I love all the new songs and stuff, but so far the most fun me and my friends have had with the game is battle of the bands. We're ranked 14th out of like 8,000 on the opening day one. Sorta wish you didn't have to unlock songs by doing challenges, but whatever.
You can unlock them through the Tour as well. I've only played a single challenge, the first guitar one, and have been playing the hell out of Tour (with friends and by myself), and have unlocked about 50 of the songs. There's a set in Los Angeles now called West Coast Marathon which I need to play, it'll unlock six or seven new songs after I finish it. Sadly, I'll have to play it on Hard guitar or Hard vocals because Chop Suey is on there, and I can't do the lead guitar part on Expert for the life of me. Super fast strumming plus alternating red and red+blue equals me failing in no time.

And Tangled Up In Blue has the most boring guitar part ever.

Edit: Oh and Livin' on a Prayer is the most amazing band song ever.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
DLC for the week of September 23rd:

Moving Pictures by Rush (for reals this time!) at $10.99, or 880 Microsoft Points.

Tom Sawyer (orig version)
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight (orig version)
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs

As well as:
Bad Religion - Sorrow
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
Kasabian - Shoot the Runner
Sleater-Kinney - You're No Rock N Roll Fun
Stone Roses - Love Spreads

Each available for $1.99, or 160 Microsoft Points.

I'll be downloading everything except Sleater-Kinney. Sleater-Kinney is even from my hometown, but there's no way I'm downloading that song to become a part of my Rock Band catalog.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Sleater-Kinney is even from my hometown
:O

Is it a Stone Roses a master track this time, or another lame cover? If it a master track, then that's just one more thing RB has exclusive!

I'll just pick up everything in the line of single packs.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Didn't know it was even in Guitar Hero, I just know the cover of She Bangs the Drums in Guitar Hero 3 was one of the most atrocious things I've ever witnessed.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Gah. Tangled Up in Blue bothers me so much. It's like if PDA and Float On had a really boring baby. I love Bob Dylan but I'm not loving the pick. Subterranean Homesick Blues would have been my pick. It'd be harder on vocals but at least the guitar is a little more varied...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Gah. Tangled Up in Blue bothers me so much. It's like if PDA and Float On had a really boring baby. I love Bob Dylan but I'm not loving the pick. Subterranean Homesick Blues would have been my pick. It'd be harder on vocals but at least the guitar is a little more varied...
That's the thing, Rock Band isn't all about Guitar. But I do understand what you mean, there are a crap-load more Guitar-led picks from Dylan's repertoire, that could have been in there, but it's a ***** on vocals.

Got Rock Band 2 and a few downloads today. It's fun, like epic status. Just can't wait till I unlock Steely Dan.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Tangled Up In Blue only sucks on the guitar because it's so long. If it were a minute or so shorter, I wouldn't have a cramped up hand and would enjoy playing it. Singing it is awesome though, so me and it are on good terms.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I don't want this thread to die just because the game is out.

I've gotten past the new game excitement and gotten around to achievement whoring. I've gotten all the "Flawless" achievements and have compiled a list for all those who want them using as little skill as possible.
All of these are unlocked by FC'ing a song on Expert with the implied instrument. Flawless solo by hitting every note in the solo using on the solo buttons. I'm not sure whether it means only using the solo buttons, or by literally only using them by tapping the solo with the buttons.

Flawless Drums - "I Think I'm Paranoid"
Flawless Groove (Bass) - "So What'cha Want"
Flawless Guitar - "They Say"
Flawless Solo - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
Flawless Vox - "So What'cha Want"

Teehee double post.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I whored all those achievements last weekend.

Vocals: La La Love You - Pixies
Drums: Silver - Pixies
Guitar: Lump - The Presidents of the United States of America (Got this the first day I had the game, it was the second song I played on guitar, haha)
Guitar solo: Bad Reputation - Joan Jett (I believe this is what I got it on)
Bass: Float On - Modest Mouse

Has anybody got the 90 seconds of Overdrive achievement by themselves?

Oh and yesterday I was doing the Moving Pictures album challenge (which lacks YYZ...), got 10 minutes into The Camera Eye and failed. That guitar solo came outta nowhere!

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Im pretty sure you can get 90 seconds on The Kill by yourself on guitar if you time it right, I did it with a Bassist and drummer too though, so I dunno. We had it going pretty much the whole song though. Something tells me you don't have The Kill though. I wouldn't blame you, really.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I bought it already thinking it was oldie Bad Religion, and didn't think to check if it was the newer punk band. To my surprise it was a good song. It's a ***** on the drums though.
Oldie BR will likely never find its way to RB, but I'd hope for something from Suffer, No Control, or Against the Grain. Or, even better, the live version of Generator.

jogues_street

Smash Cadet
There is a freestyle mode only for drums where you can switch how the drumkit sounds it is actually quite amazing

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
DLC for next week is another album. This time, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The Power of Equality
If You Have to Ask
Breaking the Girl
Funky Monks
Suck My Kiss
I Could Have Lied
Mellowship Slinky in B Major
The Righteous & The Wicked
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Under the Bridge
Naked in the Rain
Apache Rose Peacock
The Greeting Song
My Lovely Man
Sir Psycho Sexy
They're Red Hot

Price of admission is $20, or 1600 Microsoft Points.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
They're apparently announcing it sometime soon. Probably when the PS3 and Wii versions of the game are released.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Hm. That's cool. My first disc was damaged so I exchanged it and jotted down the code.. Hopefully that means 40? doubt it though.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Hm. That's cool. My first disc was damaged so I exchanged it and jotted down the code.. Hopefully that means 40? doubt it though.
Even if you did get 40, what would the extra 20 be? Duplicates of the first 20, yeah?

Seems kind of pointless.

Top Bottom