• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rob's WBGC (Wave bounce Gyro Cancel)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
good beep, lime =]

edit:
lime, do you have tap jump on or off?

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
but you should also mention that you actually have to cancel the dash with your B move, I think that some of the major confusion that people have is how quickly you actually have to move the stick in MULTIPLE parts of the maneuver. If you move too slow from the dash to the B move you simply enter the turnaround animation.
Hmm, I hope I was clear enough. I showed my hands doing the technique at normal speed so that should help people understand how fast the inputs need to go in. Other than that I think its just common sense to cancel the dash with a B move, I said "while running or standing" so people should understand.

good beep, lime =]

edit:
lime, do you have tap jump on or off?
It's funny I normally keep tap jump on, but I turned it off to demonstrate the RM Robo Burner (Air). That's also why I included that note about not using your second jump before the Up+B. With it on, I kept jumping and ruining the technique (although its possible to do with TJ on, but requires perfect timing).

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
The reason I ask is, doing grounded RM Robo Burners with TJ off can be much more difficult than with TJ on. So, since I am a TJ off user, what I do is set Z to jump (since X is my grab) and I hit Z + B at the same time so that R.O.B. gets that unnoticed lift which keeps him accidentally messing up sometimes.

I just was wondering if you do anything like this as well. By all means, it is doable both ways, I just found that for TJ off users, this makes it easier.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
The reason I ask is, doing grounded RM Robo Burners with TJ off can be much more difficult than with TJ on. So, since I am a TJ off user, what I do is set Z to jump (since X is my grab) and I hit Z + B at the same time so that R.O.B. gets that unnoticed lift which keeps him accidentally messing up sometimes.
Woah Woah Mister Eric, you have that backwards, the grounded RM Robo Burner should be EASIER with tap jump off, but a forward momentum (reverse faced) grounded Robo Burner should be more dificult.

Jumping cancels momentum, and the workings of the RMRB is that you are B-reversing with your dash momentum and being launched into the air, If you use your jump you'll have less momentum.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
From my experience, what I find myself doing most of the time without using Z to jump and TJ off is, I find R.O.B. just turning around or side-b'ing. And with mapping, I never have that problem because I suppose I have the RM motion down to muscle memory, cause I've never had trouble with using Z to jump. Dull Razer pointed that out to me forever ago i think, and that's when it started becoming easier.

edit: guess what you have to remember is, I dont rly start my up b with the stick straight up, I start on a side and then go over. if that helps my reasoning lol

dbl edit omg: sorry for redundancy. i was about to start a wifi tourney match lolz. if above made no sense, i can explains better

8Bitman

Smash Master
it's sad that rob is one of the MOST TECHNICAL characters in brawl and NO ONE uses him. AND THE TOP TIER IS MK.... O_____o

MK is like the LEAST TECHNICAL IN THE GAME! nadonadonadonadonado, upbupbupbupbup

WBGC FTW!!!!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
it's sad that rob is one of the MOST TECHNICAL characters in brawl and NO ONE uses him. AND THE TOP TIER IS MK.... O_____o

MK is like the LEAST TECHNICAL IN THE GAME! nadonadonadonadonado, upbupbupbupbup

WBGC FTW!!!!
LoL, word.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
You guys are just NOW figuring out all of rob's extreme technical ability?
No wonder his tournament placings aren't that good and no wonder people like me see him underrated.
It's not ROB, it's the players who aren't using his techskill to the fullest potential.

Now that everybody else knows, let's start Rob's metagame in tournament!

Hater

Smash Ace
the best use for rm gyro is obviously a full charged gyro shot, I would avoid using teh rm laser more than say 3/4 times a match as it leaves you with no momentum and we all know how laggy laser is :p This vid got me thinking about using rm burner nairs and maybe bairs (if my fingers let me:p) Gw on the vid i hope there are more to come especially on teh glide tossed burner mommentum boost from an edge (lol hope ya get me :p) I havent tried but is there any applications for a rm gyrocancel on ground such a dsmash (i know about not cancelling and grabbing) but do you guys/girl think it would be worth it ?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
the best use for rm gyro is obviously a full charged gyro shot
nununu, bc what if you miss? think about all the lag that is involved. since it is fully charged, there is no cancelling involved. it's best to use rm for the gyro, just while it can still cancel. This way, you are given the option to either do it again immediately, or any other attack out of it. this technique doesn't fully solve all our problems when getting back onto the stage, but it surely helps =]

i hope there are more to come especially on teh glide tossed burner mommentum boost from an edge (lol hope ya get me :p)
you meanz this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q45o6cSx0E

Hater

Smash Ace
The lag on shooting a fully charged gyro is minimal and if you miss you can go back to gyro canceling, I just think it is a good kill set up at high percents and it would kinda come outta nowhere and yes that with a tutorial similar to the one in this thread (with hand movements and detailed descriptions :D)

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah the fully charged gyro is an underused kill move with ROB, its pretty good to catch them off guard and/or add pressure.

I find every tech with ROBs gyro equally useful, whether its the rm shiz, a kill move, on the field, or in hand. Its one of my favorite moves.

-LzR-

Smash Hero

WBGC FTW!!!!
Please tell me you are trolling, my mother can punish a bad nado and shuttle loop.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I just thought up an easy way to explain the difference between a Wavebounce and a B-reversal.

After a Wavebounce you will be facing the SAME direction as when you started.
--aka. a double reverse is initiated to perform a Wavebounce.
--The first reverse is a B move used to turn yourself around, then the second reverse is a B-reverse used in the initial direction you were facing.

After a B-reverse you will be facing the OPPOSITE direction as when you started.
--Its a single reverse, performed after the initial B move.

So a B-reverse is part of a Wavebounce, the Wavebounce being the harder of the two.

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
=D this was easy for me to pick up since my other main is lucas.

just wondering though... i was reading through the posts in this thread, and some of you were complaining about accidentally wavebouncing as you approach with up b? Do you mean like run up to them and reverse an up b for something like a bair? If so, what is the significance of using upb before bair, as opposed to doing just a normal rar?

Silhouette

Smash Lord
We didnt mean running up to them and Bair, we were just discussing using the grounded reverse up B while running.

Its mostly useful while running away, you reverse up B and your suddenly in their face with a Nair.

and it would be used instead of a rar as a mixup, they would expect it less and be confused by the Up-B, besides it looks d*mn tight.

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
We didnt mean running up to them and Bair, we were just discussing using the grounded reverse up B while running.

Its mostly useful while running away, you reverse up B and your suddenly in their face with a Nair.

and it would be used instead of a rar as a mixup, they would expect it less and be confused by the Up-B, besides it looks d*mn tight.
So a grounded reverse upb will not wavebounce? Then how come some people accidentally wavebounce when they try to do this?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You don't have aerial momentum when you are in ground so there isn't anything to shift I guess. It's just normal reversal stuff including the jump IIRC.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
So a grounded reverse upb will not wavebounce? Then how come some people accidentally wavebounce when they try to do this?
It CAN wave bounce, depends on your inputs and angling of the Control stick when you press B.

It does indeed carry your momentum from running, except its the only grounded B reverse move that has momentum carry over. I guess the others have a momentum canceling mechanism, so the only use is to cancel you dash and change direction.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's because you can jump out of your dash that makes there some momentum to shift.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
@Silhouette - That's just a reverse Up-B.

A B-reversed special has to be done on a special in the air.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
@Silhouette - That's just a reverse Up-B.

A B-reversed special has to be done on a special in the air.
so if I up-b from the ground, turn around but still keep momentum (RAR pretty much but up-b style) thats just a reverse up-b?

but what if it turns me around, but shifts my momentum from the ground, whats that?

or if i shift my momentum but keep facing the same way (dbl reverse)?

these are all reverse up-bs?

the terminology for all this confuses me and is silly xD

btw, did i get to see you at MLG man?

Top Bottom