• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rob's WBGC (Wave bounce Gyro Cancel)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ok I know I should just post in the Rob Q&A but this isn't been looked into enough. I want us as Robs to help each other in learning this technique because if we all learn it, just imagine how hard rob be read in the air.

WBGC'ing combined with reverse up bs to bairs to shift momentum, and wavebounced Lasers.. rob can be an unpredictable foe in the air and getting back to the ground could be easier than we ever thought.

I've tried learning this the best I've can but I get very little progress and I can't do it consistently at all but accidentally in matches.

I assume the gyro cancel isn't hard for most of us, or at least for me it isn't, THAT I can do consistently.. It's the wavebounce I have so much trouble with. I've tried timing myself in how I wavebounce the laser, which is hella easy, but when I try to use that same timing for the gyro it hardly works. I've also tried the countless suggested quarter circling as well but that hasn't been too effective either.

I just don't know what makes it so hard.. it should be just as easy as wavebouncing the laser but it isn't. If I knew why it was so hard I'd probably master this easily. If someone has knowledge of doing this, me as well as others can learn it. I've seen Mister Eric do the WBGC a lot in my online matches with him so I'd like input from him. I also wish Ocean posted here because he seems to know how to do it the best.

Mister Eric's input

I love this maneuver. It's sad that it didn't catch on with the R.O.B.s any sooner. I feel kind of dumb for not realizing how to do it since other chars do it all the time.

Where it all started for me

I remember about a year ago, I saw a HI rob player on youtube whose tag started with an A...that's all I remember of his name haha, and he started a match off rushing his opponent and doing a reverse up b to back air. I enjoyed that more than a RAR because it left him the option to do something out of a boost instead of immediately hitting the ground. The reason I bring this up is, when I tried doing it, I would turn around, but I would keep bouncing the other way! Oh beep it irritated me so bad. Now I use it to my advantage since I understand exactly why my input was making me do this. Since I was going in one direction, and reversing in the other with an up b (idk if its worth mentioning, I play with tap jump off, so I mapped Z for jump in order to hit jump and b with my index finger and thumb) I was doing then what I basically do now to input my "WBGC". Let's imagine taking a vertical line, and putting it right through our analogue section of our controller. There are little notches where are stick is to help us imagine this. We'll treat the very top notch as North Pole (NP) and the very bottom notch as South Pole (SP). What I was doing with my inputs was, running in one direction, let's say to the right, and then immediately reversing an up b to the left. The problem was, when I was pressing the b button, I was most likely still on the right side of the NP and then as soon as I hit B, I was crossing over. This made me bounce to the left, instead of just reversing me to the left and keeping my movement to the right. I never thought that all that time spent on my futon in me dorm getting frustrated practicing would eventually pay off.​

Alright, so let's imagine this done on the south side of our analogue stick. This will help us perform our WBGC. After playing some Wi-Fi matches with Bo and trying to explain how I perform this to him, I think it helped him out when he thought of the notches on the octagon that surrounds our analogue stick as points that represent time on a clock. So, SP could represent 6 o'clock. The notch to the right can represent 5, and the notch to the left, 7.

So with that in mind, all you're basically doing is running on one side of the "South Pole", inputting the gyro cancel either at 7 or 5 o'clock depending on which side of the pole you decide to initiate the bounce from and as soon as you do the input for a GC, then immediately end up on the other side of the clock. So if you start at 5, you'll end at 7 and vice versa (it's easier and works every time if you start on the side you're running, and finish on the other side).

New ROBs
Just in case any R.O.B.s are unfamiliar with gyro cancelling (if you are, I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry in learning the WBGC until you're very comfortable with your robot), then what you have to do is insert the down+b in the air followed by an immediate input of your shield button...which would normally put your gyro away and airdodge, but if you perform the shield input quick enough, the gyro will disappear and you can do as you please. It's fun for mindgames and can cause a char to approach you so you can give them a forward air to the face or something. and hey! it led us to WBGC =]

I know I've been rambling. And most of this text is useless to a lot of you...maybe all of you, but I hoped it helped in any way. And I'm sure some of this is hard to comprehend what I mean, so if questions do come up, please ask.

What I plan on doing is making a video of some things you can do to make use of the WBGC. I hope I get started on this before MLG.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10396280&postcount=31

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
I actually do just over a quarter circle starting diagonally in the other direction to start the down-b and swinging it over quickly to get the wave bounce. Dunno if this will help or if it's even less efficient, but I get it pretty consistently when I do it this way. The problem for me is doing it multiple times in the air when descending. I just can't swing back and forth or when I can, it's hard to make use of still since you'd have to be relatively high already to start it.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I've been practicing it for hours and I almost got it perfectly.

My first problem was not inputing the commands quick enough

and another thing I found out about was that its much easier to pull off if you tap the joy stick on the opposite direction after executing the down b.

using these 2 breakthroughs I was able to finally learn it.. all I need is a few more hours to get it perfectly.

Bees!

Smash Ace
For me it is like a rolling action on the Analog stick. However(this maybe just me) But I find it easier to do using Y as special. This all so helps with Robo RARs too imo. Try it and let me know.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I'm getting better at it. My next goal is to switch back and forth with it like croissant said before.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Also I do a wavebounce with it where I jump backwards and do a 1/2 rotation wavebounce. Its kind of flashy a little but can serve a good purpose with faking out opponents. What happens is you get the wave bouncing motion without changing the direction you are facing when you land.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqjQOatIvaA at 2:51-2:53

Also to any other ROB mains out there...try this maybe? it might be remotely useful?

Bees!

Smash Ace
I just try to mix it up. Ther is also going for the ledge. Or even faking them out by making it look like you are going for the ledge and bairing towards the stage. Also gyro cancels are beast when you throw random bairs in there.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yeah i personally think this tactic needs more attention. I'll give my thoughts on it a bit later when I have some more time.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
If someone has a camera they should film their fingers to know how to input the controls. xD I'm serious about this, this needs more attention.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Okay that sounds good.
Only problem is well awkward subject I really don't like mentioning this but I have a slight deformity in my hand so it might look funny maybe. But what the hell I will give it a try.

Bees!

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8

Man!!!!! japan's R.O.B metagame is months ahead of yours
corrected. and yes! but in addition the little wave-bounce thing I was mentioning in my match that I posted a couple posts back. Ocean does not do that at all. If anything this is a good place to start and make a tutorial showing all of the practical uses of it. Also that MK doesn't do a very good job being MK in that video.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
C'mon Jebus.. who hasn't seen that match?

I even mention first post that ocean knows how to do this best.. lol.

Not to mention that mk ordered a shipment of fail that match anyway.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Everyone shall share their input!

Also guys, if you already know or have mastered this why not use it often? Has anyone seen how WBing helps snake not get juggled? Rob can probably do this better than snake since he can stay in the air longer and also wavebounce his other moves as well, not to mention snake is a heavier character than Rob with more fast falling nature. If Snake can do it.. I think Rob can do it better if we master this.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Everyone shall share their input!

Also guys, if you already know or have mastered this why not use it often? Has anyone seen how WBing helps snake not get juggled? Rob can probably do this better than snake since he can stay in the air longer and also wavebounce his other moves as well, not to mention snake is a heavier character than Rob with more fast falling nature. If Snake can do it.. I think Rob can do it better if we master this.
Exactly. Also Snakes wavebounce makes him helpless until he tosses the grenade. We at least can cancel our move (see Diddy peanut popgun?) and do other moves.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I've got it mastered and use it often, and snake can WB most his moves too, our advantage is that we can cancel it pretty fast to go the other direction or into other moves.

Snakes advantage is that hes thinner, ROB has such a wide base that it can still be tough to dodge attacks, even with this tech.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I've got it mastered and use it often, and snake can WB most his moves too, our advantage is that we can cancel it pretty fast to go the other direction or into other moves.

Snakes advantage is that hes thinner, ROB has such a wide base that it can still be tough to dodge attacks, even with this tech.
Yea I agree but Snake is still heavier and falls faster. Rob can at least push him self away with the Bair from a WBGC and constantly shift and canel like Ocean does in his vids. Another thing to do to really psyche out the opponent is to execute a reverse up b to another Bair to WBGC. Rob can be more unpredictable with it.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Good idea it can add to the unpredictability. One thing I like to do is edge hop and WBGC back to the ledge and grab it sometimes. It depends on the situation. But its really affective when opponents try to chase your trajectory only to have you reverse back and grab the ledge again.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I love this maneuver. It's sad that it didn't catch on with the R.O.B.s any sooner. I feel kind of dumb for not realizing how to do it since other chars do it all the time.

Where it all started for me

I remember about a year ago, I saw a HI rob player on youtube whose tag started with an A...that's all I remember of his name haha, and he started a match off rushing his opponent and doing a reverse up b to back air. I enjoyed that more than a RAR because it left him the option to do something out of a boost instead of immediately hitting the ground. The reason I bring this up is, when I tried doing it, I would turn around, but I would keep bouncing the other way! Oh beep it irritated me so bad. Now I use it to my advantage since I understand exactly why my input was making me do this. Since I was going in one direction, and reversing in the other with an up b (idk if its worth mentioning, I play with tap jump off, so I mapped Z for jump in order to hit jump and b with my index finger and thumb) I was doing then what I basically do now to input my "WBGC". Let's imagine taking a vertical line, and putting it right through our analogue section of our controller. There are little notches where are stick is to help us imagine this. We'll treat the very top notch as North Pole (NP) and the very bottom notch as South Pole (SP). What I was doing with my inputs was, running in one direction, let's say to the right, and then immediately reversing an up b to the left. The problem was, when I was pressing the b button, I was most likely still on the right side of the NP and then as soon as I hit B, I was crossing over. This made me bounce to the left, instead of just reversing me to the left and keeping my movement to the right. I never thought that all that time spent on my futon in me dorm getting frustrated practicing would eventually pay off.​

Alright, so let's imagine this done on the south side of our analogue stick. This will help us perform our WBGC. After playing some Wi-Fi matches with Bo and trying to explain how I perform this to him, I think it helped him out when he thought of the notches on the octagon that surrounds our analogue stick as points that represent time on a clock. So, SP could represent 6 o'clock. The notch to the right can represent 5, and the notch to the left, 7.

So with that in mind, all you're basically doing is running on one side of the "South Pole", inputting the gyro cancel either at 7 or 5 o'clock depending on which side of the pole you decide to initiate the bounce from and as soon as you do the input for a GC, then immediately end up on the other side of the clock. So if you start at 5, you'll end at 7 and vice versa (it's easier and works every time if you start on the side you're running, and finish on the other side).

New ROBs
Just in case any R.O.B.s are unfamiliar with gyro cancelling (if you are, I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry in learning the WBGC until you're very comfortable with your robot), then what you have to do is insert the down+b in the air followed by an immediate input of your shield button...which would normally put your gyro away and airdodge, but if you perform the shield input quick enough, the gyro will disappear and you can do as you please. It's fun for mindgames and can cause a char to approach you so you can give them a forward air to the face or something. and hey! it led us to WBGC =]

I know I've been rambling. And most of this text is useless to a lot of you...maybe all of you, but I hoped it helped in any way. And I'm sure some of this is hard to comprehend what I mean, so if questions do come up, please ask.

What I plan on doing is making a video of some things you can do to make use of the WBGC. I hope I get started on this before MLG.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
You are too good Mister Eric. =)
I can this half, though. It's hard to time, but sometimes I success.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yep it was Aerow!, ty and beepit, I rly wanna make a vid, some one laser me and end my lazy ways.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I think I can this 75 % of the time. ([^^]

I often press L and holding it, then do the WBGC. It's much easier for me to hold the L button. And when R.O.B. has turned to another side, press as quickly as you can to the other side (remember to hold the L button during the whole WBGC). I'm the worst on explaining things, sorry. -.-

Top Bottom