• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robotic Operating Buddy: Yes, it's R.O.B.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That makes me hyped! Finally, some personality!

Timestamp: https://youtu.be/OkQGKp0K47E?t=77

View attachment 159389
Of course, it’s still R.O.B. and Ness getting beaten by another character, which makes me a very unhappy robot, but it’s nice to see that we’ll hopefully get some more charm and personality into our Robotic Operating Buddy that should have been, but was absent in, the previous installment of the series.

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
R.O.B.'s eye effects are in Brawl and were in Smash 4. It just during one of the updates for Wii U they broke for multiplayer game modes making R.O.B. emotionless and they never bothered to fix it.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I've realised one small buff I'd really like to see for ROB in Ultimate - just a few frames shaved off of the endlag of his forward air.

Right now he is tantalisingly close to being able to do a SH double F-Air - his arms come out to do the animation of the second as he hits the ground. Shaving off just enough to get the hit on this would be amazing. Then we'd be able to get Up Throw SH Double F-Air to a ground move (maybe even a regrab!) at low percents.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Is it just me or does R.O.B. look like he's been significantly buffed? At least in speed

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Is it just me or does R.O.B. look like he's been significantly buffed? At least in speed
Yes, his movement seems very fluid in this game. A lot of his moves seem a lot faster too, most noticeably his N-Air and B-Air which don't seem to have the same "stall" they had last game.

We've also got pretty good confirmation that Beep Boop still works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgfLwqxffU&t=73s

And I don't have the immediate link but down throw up smash definitely seems to be a thing at sufficiently high percentages too.

- - - - -

Anyway, thanks to a friend I've managed to get free tickets to another event with Smash playable. In the event it's the new build, is there anything we still would like testing? I can't promise anything particularly technical and I don't know how many things I'll be able to test (I plan on splitting my time between ROB and K Rool) but I'd be happy to give some things a go.

At the minute, I plan to test out up throw at low percentages, and see if SH Double F-Air is a thing.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Anyway, thanks to a friend I've managed to get free tickets to another event with Smash playable. In the event it's the new build, is there anything we still would like testing? I can't promise anything particularly technical and I don't know how many things I'll be able to test (I plan on splitting my time between ROB and K Rool) but I'd be happy to give some things a go.

At the minute, I plan to test out up throw at low percentages, and see if SH Double F-Air is a thing.
-I'd recommend taking a look at B-throw as a potential kill throw. I still haven't seen footage of it used ala a Ness kill throw yet and am curious how it fairs in this game now.

-See if Side-B is better for anything. I know its frame data looks worse but it's worth seeing if it has better reflection windows for projectiles or better shield damage for guard breaks.

-Check out his edge guard game as much as possible, cause with all the potential sniping from neutral B, gyro, fair and f-smash give us we could be the biggest jerks on the ledge.

The rest will be finnicky stuff anyway so that will require more extensive testing when the game is actually out. Have fun out there man. K. Rool looks dope.

Edit: Also check out if glide tossing is still around from the E3 build. Having glide tossing back for ROB would be pretty big for pressure.

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been pondering this for a while so I'm just going to ask: Should R.O.B. have the Smash Bros. emblem in exchange for his Gyromite logo?
R.O.B.'s biggest role in the last 10 years was his role in Subspace Emissary & R.O.B. doesn't have any content at all relating to his source material (minus the gyros) so... what gives?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hey guys, I've been pondering this for a while so I'm just going to ask: Should R.O.B. have the Smash Bros. emblem in exchange for his Gyromite logo?
R.O.B.'s biggest role in the last 10 years was his role in Subspace Emissary & R.O.B. doesn't have any content at all relating to his source material (minus the gyros) so... what gives?
The same can be said for a lot of retro characters. But he's still there because of his original games

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
The same can be said for a lot of retro characters. But he's still there because of his original games
Well, there's no Gyromite stage, there was no Gyromite trophies in previous installments and as previously mentioned, his largest role has been in Smash.
My headcanon is that all those R.O.B. sentries were merely based of the R.O.B. peripheral, and are such Smash original characters like Master Hand or the Primids. That would explain all those fairly generic robot moves they have (i.e. lasers, rocket boosters and the like)
Therefore, shouldn't R.O.B be a Smash original character?
Of course, this is all fan-theory conjecture. But the point still stands; if he has his own logo, shouldn't he have something to show for it? Like a Gyromite stage or something? Hell, some Spirits of Professor Hector could suffice.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
-I'd recommend taking a look at B-throw as a potential kill throw. I still haven't seen footage of it used ala a Ness kill throw yet and am curious how it fairs in this game now.

-See if Side-B is better for anything. I know its frame data looks worse but it's worth seeing if it has better reflection windows for projectiles or better shield damage for guard breaks.

-Check out his edge guard game as much as possible, cause with all the potential sniping from neutral B, gyro, fair and f-smash give us we could be the biggest jerks on the ledge.

The rest will be finnicky stuff anyway so that will require more extensive testing when the game is actually out. Have fun out there man. K. Rool looks dope.

Edit: Also check out if glide tossing is still around from the E3 build. Having glide tossing back for ROB would be pretty big for pressure.
All good suggestions that I've written down. B-Throw in particular is a move I don't think I've seen *at all*, so interested to see what's happened there.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
R.O.B.'s down-throw ground the opponent now ? Just to be sure

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
R.O.B.'s down-throw ground the opponent now ? Just to be sure
Yes. You can mash out of it reasonably quickly which prevents getting anything particularly crazy out of it, but it looks to make beep boop easier at mid-high percents and confirms into up smash at high percents. At low percents we're likely going to need to get used to using up throw if that's still a combo throw.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Okay it's just I saw nobody talk about that when they where talking about R.O.B.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
R.O.B. was my first ever main in Brawl and I've always loved how's he's played (and his personality) in every Smash game. I would love to use him more in Ultimate and I'm excited to try him out. :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the subject of R.O.B. and SSE, there's apparently a spirit for the Subspace Bomb, if the Wiki is correct: https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(Super_Smash_Bros._series)

Besides the fact that an inanimate object can somehow have a spirit (granted, animisim is a concept in Japan, so go figure), our robot friend would probably have PTSD from seeing it.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

1FC0

Smash Lord
R.O.B. originates from the Robot series, not from the Smash Bros. series. Therefore his emblem should represent the Robot series and not the Smash Bros. series.

Well, there's no Gyromite stage, there was no Gyromite trophies in previous installments
This should be fixed by giving R.O.B. a stage and acknowledging his series in collectables. As for SU I am hoping they do that by introducing spirits from the Robot series, most notably Professor Hector and Professor Vector (Although I would have preferred that they be playable obviously).
and as previously mentioned, his largest role has been in Smash.
Same goes for many other retro characters. Do you really want retro characters like Ice Climbers, DHD, R.O.B., and Mr GaW to lose their series identity and instead be treated as if they originate from the same series? Personally I would hate that but I guess to each their own. I think it is more important to acknowledge a characters actual series in Smash than it is to acknowledge that they have been in Smash in Smash. Even if the series is dead and the character only lives on in Smash.
My headcanon is that all those R.O.B. sentries were merely based of the R.O.B. peripheral, and are such Smash original characters like Master Hand or the Primids. That would explain all those fairly generic robot moves they have (i.e. lasers, rocket boosters and the like)
Therefore, shouldn't R.O.B be a Smash original character?
My headcannon is that after the events of Stack-Up Professor Hector and Professor Vector left the lab in order to do more research somewhere else. R.O.B. then proceeded to expand the lab and build more robots in his image. When Professor Hector and Professor Vector returned between the events of SSBB and Smash 4 they had developed the theory for the R.O.B. Cannon which they used to upgrade R.O.B. which resulted in his new FS. Therefore R.O.B. should still be a Robot character.
Of course, this is all fan-theory conjecture. But the point still stands; if he has his own logo, shouldn't he have something to show for it? Like a Gyromite stage or something? Hell, some Spirits of Professor Hector could suffice.
I fully agree with this. They should not take away his logo, instead they should add more Robot content to Smash. A spirit of Professor Hector would be great IMO.

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Same goes for many other retro characters. Do you really want retro characters like Ice Climbers, DHD, R.O.B., and Mr G&W to lose their series identity and instead be treated as if they originate from the same series? Personally I would hate that but I guess to each their own. I think it is more important to acknowledge a characters actual series in Smash than it is to acknowledge that they have been in Smash in Smash. Even if the series is dead and the character only lives on in Smash.
I never said that about the other retro characters though? They at least have stages and trophies to represent their source material while R.O.B. has nothing to represent his games except Gyro.
It just seems to me that unlike other retro series, R.O.B's source games are never mentioned. Ice Climbers have their stages and Melee trophies. Mr. G&W has a ton of references to his games in Flat Zone and Duck Hunt has his stage/trophies. R.O.B. has none of this and whenever he's mentioned, no traces of Gyromite/Stack-Up remain. His Boxing Ring title is Last of his Kind, referencing his appearance in SSE. If they're not going to make an effort to represent the Robot franchise at all & act as if those games never happened, why keep the logo around?
In hindsight though, maybe the Smash logo wouldn't fit. Maybe they could create an entirely new logo to represent Nintendo Hardware like a game cartridge or something. That could still pay homage to R.O.B's origins as a peripheral. Or they could just keep the logo and add more Robot stuff.

I fully agree with this. They should not take away his logo, instead they should add more Robot content to Smash. A spirit of Professor Hector would be great IMO.
Oh yeah, definitely. At least an Assist Trophy or a new Final Smash that isn't a generic laser. Anything at all I'm down for. As long as they acknowledge his roots he's definitely worth his own logo.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Actually, I think that I read somewhere that they designed R.O.B.'s logo to resemble the SSE's logo.

Anyway personally I think that they should not give R.O.B. a Smash logo because he is not from Smash. And neither should they make a general peripheral logo for him because R.O.B. is not a general peripheral he comes from a very specific series. IMO every fighter should have a logo that represents his specific series instead of having to settle for a "miscellaneous" logo.

I agree that it seems as if R.O.B. is from Smash since they rarely acknowledge his own series and do refer to the SSE sometimes when he is concerned. They should fix this by acknowledging R.O.B.'s series, by giving him a proper stage and bringing in Professor Hector at least in some form in Smash. Not by wrecking his logo.

I really do not get why they seem to hate the Robot series so much. Every other fighter but R.O.B. has their series acknowledged in Smash.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think that I read somewhere that they designed R.O.B.'s logo to resemble the SSE's logo.

Anyway personally I think that they should not give R.O.B. a Smash logo because he is not from Smash. And neither should they make a general peripheral logo for him because R.O.B. is not a general peripheral he comes from a very specific series. IMO every fighter should have a logo that represents his specific series instead of having to settle for a "miscellaneous" logo.

I agree that it seems as if R.O.B. is from Smash since they rarely acknowledge his own series and do refer to the SSE sometimes when he is concerned. They should fix this by acknowledging R.O.B.'s series, by giving him a proper stage and bringing in Professor Hector at least in some form in Smash. Not by wrecking his logo.

I really do not get why they seem to hate the Robot series so much. Every other fighter but R.O.B. has their series acknowledged in Smash.
Yeah, that's fair.
Congratulations, you changed my mind! Hope they don't still classify Mario Bros. as R.O.B's homestage either way.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Super excited to play what's looking to be R.O.B.'s best iteration yet! I hear some pros are already thinking he might be A-tier. He looks a little bit lighter to me to compensate for those speed buffs, but it's hard to tell since launch physics overall have changed.

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
What I like about R.O.B. is that he also has lights on his ribs. I just noticed it. Looks like R.O.B. is going to be full of indicators signalling all kinds of information:
- The LED on his head used to signal the level of his Robo Beam charge
- The gause on the underside of his chest signalling the amount of fuel he has remaining
- The light on his ribs signaling that his fuel is empty.
- The images displayed by the projectors in his head

I want them to make a reboot of the Robot series and make a new R.O.B. that has all these cool indicators. I also want them to give R.O.B. a cool hud indicator that indicates the charge of his Gyro just because I think HUD indicators are cool.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hey DJ3DS DJ3DS , has that event taken place yet?
Yes, of course - I just forgot to follow up here as I joined the ROB discord!

My general impression was pretty positive. I'll try to go through on a move by move basis:

Specials:
Neutral B - seems buffed thanks to charging times. The fully charged version is massive now, and is gonna be terrifying offstage.
Side B - Faster startup, and overall duration seems reduced so you can use it more reliably off-stage even if it has punishable endlag. The hits themselves link much better!
Down B - Seemed pretty much the same from what I played. Bear in mind it was FFA so I didn't really get a chance to test any kind of setups here.
Up B - fuel seems about the same, but it's overall buffed as it can be cancelled via airdodge or even double jump!

Neutrals:
The only one of his tilts which seems changed is his down tilt. It's still very fast, but deals very little knockback so feels like it links into itself better now. I was catching people at close range and dealing 20% easily, and it is scary good if there's any kind of wall.

Aerials:
All of ROBs aerials except his F-Air seem changed. N-Air is super fast and honestly felt wonderfully obnoxious, and B-Air and D-Air both felt faster too. U-Air felt a little odd, with different angles but it was still a solid move.

In terms of throws, I explicitly tested his back throw (though not as a kill throw) so can confirm it appears to be the same. Up Throw has had its knockback nerfed - you're not gonna be using this as a kill throw any time soon - but this hopefully makes it a better low percentage combo throw. Down Throw is perhaps his biggest frustration, because it's apparently programmed (according to ROB discord) in such a way that it's easier to mash than K Rool's equivalent throw. You're not getting low percentage combos with this, but you can get kill setups like down throw up smash at around 100 unless your opponent is a very quick masher. I had no personal issues with it but others have reported different mileage.

My overall opinion is that he felt super fun and fluid, and at the (relatively low) level I play at he'll do just fine. At higher levels, he may struggle to kill as his throw setups become inconsistent against better mashers. Hopefully down throw is fixed if it is actually broken.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yes, of course - I just forgot to follow up here as I joined the ROB discord!

My general impression was pretty positive. I'll try to go through on a move by move basis:

Specials:
Neutral B - seems buffed thanks to charging times. The fully charged version is massive now, and is gonna be terrifying offstage.
Side B - Faster startup, and overall duration seems reduced so you can use it more reliably off-stage even if it has punishable endlag. The hits themselves link much better!
Down B - Seemed pretty much the same from what I played. Bear in mind it was FFA so I didn't really get a chance to test any kind of setups here.
Up B - fuel seems about the same, but it's overall buffed as it can be cancelled via airdodge or even double jump!

Neutrals:
The only one of his tilts which seems changed is his down tilt. It's still very fast, but deals very little knockback so feels like it links into itself better now. I was catching people at close range and dealing 20% easily, and it is scary good if there's any kind of wall.

Aerials:
All of ROBs aerials except his F-Air seem changed. N-Air is super fast and honestly felt wonderfully obnoxious, and B-Air and D-Air both felt faster too. U-Air felt a little odd, with different angles but it was still a solid move.

In terms of throws, I explicitly tested his back throw (though not as a kill throw) so can confirm it appears to be the same. Up Throw has had its knockback nerfed - you're not gonna be using this as a kill throw any time soon - but this hopefully makes it a better low percentage combo throw. Down Throw is perhaps his biggest frustration, because it's apparently programmed (according to ROB discord) in such a way that it's easier to mash than K Rool's equivalent throw. You're not getting low percentage combos with this, but you can get kill setups like down throw up smash at around 100 unless your opponent is a very quick masher. I had no personal issues with it but others have reported different mileage.

My overall opinion is that he felt super fun and fluid, and at the (relatively low) level I play at he'll do just fine. At higher levels, he may struggle to kill as his throw setups become inconsistent against better mashers. Hopefully down throw is fixed if it is actually broken.
I’m so thankful to hear his recovery didn’t get as nerfed as I thought it did.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
How was he buffed from his transition to ultimate?
Also is his combo game/shield safety any better
Faster aerials, faster ground speed, etc etc etc. Here's a full list -
https://www.ssbwiki.com/R.O.B._(SSBU)

His combo game is about the same, but we have more tricks with dthrow at mid percents. Bair is gdlk on shield.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
So I'm testing out dthrow and I gotta say HOLY CRAP ITS TERRIBLE
Most if not all confirms wont work against ANYONE with half a brain, which means dthrow upsmash is completely neutered against any half competent player.
God why does this character always receive the short end of the stick

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Just up throw -> fair at low percents. At high percents based on their mashing you can go for up smash if they're **** at mashing, or utilt -> up air if they're doing half decent mash, so you can cover options much better than the all-or-nothing the beep boop was. Keep in mind his recovery isn't ultra telegraphed now since he can air dodge out of up bair, making him to have one of the long distance recoveries to actually be buffed in this game, and he can edge guard pretty well with his aerials and projectiles. Time will tell and while I dont think he's top tier material, I'd say the up b change alone might make him viable in high tier. And aerial side b is an unexpectedly ok edge guard option for early kills now that people don't just fall out of it with the slightest of sdi.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Just up throw -> fair at low percents. At high percents based on their mashing you can go for up smash if they're **** at mashing, or utilt -> up air if they're doing half decent mash, so you can cover options much better than the all-or-nothing the beep boop was. Keep in mind his recovery isn't ultra telegraphed now since he can air dodge out of up bair, making him to have one of the long distance recoveries to actually be buffed in this game, and he can edge guard pretty well with his aerials and projectiles. Time will tell and while I dont think he's top tier material, I'd say the up b change alone might make him viable in high tier. And aerial side b is an unexpectedly ok edge guard option for early kills now that people don't just fall out of it with the slightest of sdi.
how would the change to up b fix him that much? Is it that good for him to be able to jump out of robo burner?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
So I'm testing out dthrow and I gotta say HOLY CRAP ITS TERRIBLE
Most if not all confirms wont work against ANYONE with half a brain, which means dthrow upsmash is completely neutered against any half competent player.
God why does this character always receive the short end of the stick
Don't be so harsh, you just have to work around it. If you buffer the jump you can get uair at low percents.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
how would the change to up b fix him that much? Is it that good for him to be able to jump out of robo burner?
The jump is nice, but the air dodge is the more important fact. Rob doesn't really have good defensive aerials except for bair, and if you use that defensively off stage you push yourself away. Most characters in sm4sh with good aerial mobility abused this and would keep him offstage until his fuel ran out. Even trying to outpoke them, with his **** air movement while in up b Rob was pretty easy pickings for characters that could edge guard. Having a defensive option without the need to go mid/high recovery every single time means more fuel overall to work with, less predictable recovery paths, and by extension, longer stocks. Which is a good thing considering Rob is in the heavyweight class. Just a reminder that Rob hovered in the mid tiers despite being one of the few characters to be able to be realistically gimped in sm4sh, so making this weakness not so easily exploitable is a much needed buff.

Good luck with the Olimar though man. He seems good this time around as well.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Hi guess who's back...
IT MEEEEEEEEE, mostly because I learned that buffered up tilt is guaranteed on every character after a dthrow at beep boop kill %, meaning you can get up tilt up air kill confirms at beep boop percents, if the opponent gets out of dthrow they won't be able to do anything for 11 frames after, which is why up tilt scoops them up, even if he spams up tilts it still works since up tilt is that fast you'll be able to catch them getting out even during the endlag for one up tilt, only for another buffered up tilt to catch them during that 11 frame window, in which case up air then kills, the window for every character varies of course and it isn't very broad of a window regardless but its still great.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Hi guess who's back...
IT MEEEEEEEEE, mostly because I learned that buffered up tilt is guaranteed on every character after a dthrow at beep boop kill %, meaning you can get up tilt up air kill confirms at beep boop percents, if the opponent gets out of dthrow they won't be able to do anything for 11 frames after, which is why up tilt scoops them up, even if he spams up tilts it still works since up tilt is that fast you'll be able to catch them getting out even during the endlag for one up tilt, only for another buffered up tilt to catch them during that 11 frame window, in which case up air then kills, the window for every character varies of course and it isn't very broad of a window regardless but its still great.
Buffered up tilt is not guaranteed. The opponent can choose to simply not mash and turn it into a 50/50.

It's not a bad option but worth bearing in mind. I go for buffered up air a lot at kill percentages and my friends have cottoned on and started to not mash sometimes.

Murmur Twin

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Any chance I can get a link to this ROB discord?

I'm kind of a weirdo in that the only other game in the series I've really played is PM, so I've had to relearn him a little bit and I have no frame of reference for what he's like compared to Brawl/Sm4sh. And the last time I played that was probably 2-3 years ago - I now live on the other side of the country where I don't know any other Smash players, so I figured I'd try and find other ROB players to talk to.

So far I love ROB in this game, short-hop nair'ing has proven to be insanely good at messing people up.

Top Bottom