• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robotic Operating Buddy: Yes, it's R.O.B.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I'm really hoping we get a Gyromite stage this time around. For too long have we robots been shafted and stuffed into whatever the token "retro" stage of the game happens to be. We must claim the motherland!
Fatherland*
Speaking of which, I am still hoping they make Professor Hector and Professor Vector playable and make them clones of each other like Pit and Edgy Pit.
Another thing I'd like to see in this upcoming game is a new final smash, or at least a rework of the current one, seeing how the one we're stuck with right now is literally just a crappy version of Samus'. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I liked the old one better. At least we could move during it.
Why would it be weird to like the old one better?
Compared to Super Diffusion Beam Diffusion Beam is better and much more fun to use. I prefer being able to use almost my complete moveset during my Final Smash to just tilting the control stick to slowly move a beam up and down.

Super Diffusion Beam looks flashy but it is mostly show and little substance. Diffusion Beam had all the substance. And one Diffusion Beam could do between 270% and 300% damage.

Personally I like Diffusion Beam much better than I like Super Diffusion Beam and I would like it if they switched back.

95% sure that's just him using the Metal box
Nope I speaked with Sakurai and it turns out it is called Super Silver R.O.B. and you unlock him by beating Master Hand 100 times in a row with 0% damage, and then shooting all the names in credits, and then getting a score of 28 in Cruel Multiman Melee, and then you need to erase your save file. When you do that instead of erasing your save file Super Silver R.O.B. will appear and challenge you to a battle. If you lose then your file gets deleted for real but if you win you unlock him.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Why would it be weird to like the old one better?
Compared to Super Diffusion Beam Diffusion Beam is better and much more fun to use. I prefer being able to use almost my complete moveset during my Final Smash to just tilting the control stick to slowly move a beam up and down.

Super Diffusion Beam looks flashy but it is mostly show and little substance. Diffusion Beam had all the substance. And one Diffusion Beam could do between 270% and 300% damage.

Personally I like Diffusion Beam much better than I like Super Diffusion Beam and I would like it if they switched back.
I dunno, I just don't hear anyone talk about it is all. I thought it was boring to most people, and to an extent, I agree, but it still beats our current one by a longshot. I'm hopeful that we'll get a new one, though, since a lot of veterans seem to be getting reworked Final Smashes. Hell, even just a full-screen version of Super Diffusion Beam would be nice, even if it might be a bit too similar to Samus'.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I hope for a new one too, maybe involving Stack-Up.
Considering the fact that half of R.O.B.'s entire series consists of Stack-Up I find Stack-Up references to be too scarce. As far as I know R.O.B.'s hands are the only reference we have.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The old one isn't coming back since they're getting rid of all the 'lasting effect'/transformation ones, but I'd still like a new one too.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The old one isn't coming back since they're getting rid of all the 'lasting effect'/transformation ones,
How do you know that? You do seems to be right though. Fox' Final Smash obviously got changed into a cutscene and I think Bowser's got too.

I dislike these changes. I find transformation Final Smashes to be the most fun to use in general, which is one of the reasons that I prefer Diffusion Beam over Super Diffusion Beam. But seeing that they are indeed changing some transformation Final Smashes into non transformation Final Smashes it seems unlikely that R.O.B. will get a transformation Final Smash.

Though for me it actually does not make much difference since I only rarely play with Final Smashes.

D

Deleted member

The speed of Ultimate is going to make for some vicious Gyro combos. I can't wait to start Labing my favorite Robot.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
How do you know that?
The presentation mentioned during every Final Smash change that FSes were being 'streamlined' in ultimate.

And as a counterpoint I find them the least fun to play against (they literally encourage just putting down the controller for the duration of your respawn invulnerability), and while some are satisfying a lot of them aren't and just involve being 'x character but better'. ROBs wasn't, but I still prefer the consistency and less waiting on spawn platforms.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The presentation mentioned during every Final Smash change that FSes were being 'streamlined' in ultimate.

And as a counterpoint I find them the least fun to play against (they literally encourage just putting down the controller for the duration of your respawn invulnerability),
And the new Final Smashes do the same except it is for the duration of the cutscene.

and while some are satisfying a lot of them aren't and just involve being 'x character but better'. ROBs wasn't, but I still prefer the consistency and less waiting on spawn platforms.
X character but better:
- Giga Bowser
- Mega Lucario
- Giga Mac

Not "X character but better":
- Warioman
- Diffusion Beam
- Volt Tackle
- Landmaster * 3
- Mega Charizard X
- Octopus
- Super Dragon
- Rocketbarrel Barrage
- Super Sonic
- Super Pacman

Though personally I still prefer the "X character but better" FSes over cutscene FSes anyway.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
On the one hand, I'm disappointed that they're moving away from Final Smashes like R.O.B.'s from Brawl, because I always thought those ones were the most fun and creative, while ones like his in Smash 4 are boring and lame by comparison.

On the other hand, I can see why many people don't like them, and why they may not be good for game balance and flow. Though I'm willing to bet R.O.B.'s has been changed, since it was pretty underpowered among Final Smashes in 4. Hopefully we get something more appropriate to the character, too.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Hot damn I wasn't sure I was ever going to come back to this place ever again. But this game looks too good to ignore.

Welcome back, #R.O.BSquad

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sheeit, seeing all these old members of the R.O.B. Squad again is making me feel bad for dropping him... ah, what the hell, I can't stay away from this bot no matter how hard I try. I look forward to using him sometimes in Smash Ultimate!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Hot damn I wasn't sure I was ever going to come back to this place ever again. But this game looks too good to ignore.

Welcome back, #R.O.BSquad
"R.O.B.Squad" made this image come to my head:

Also I love your avatar! Makes me want to dust off my GBA and play as Mechagodzilla.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Also I love your avatar! Makes me want to dust off my GBA and play as Mechagodzilla.
You're a man of exquisite taste. All of my roadtrips from like the 2nd to 6th grade entirely consisted of Godzilla: Domination.

Sheeit, seeing all these old members of the R.O.B. Squad again is making me feel bad for dropping him... ah, what the hell, I can't stay away from this bot no matter how hard I try. I look forward to using him sometimes in Smash Ultimate!
I love your dedication!

Slug King

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlugKing
Still waiting to see more (especially about gyro) so we've got a better picture of what we're going to be doing in this game. We've already been shown one big change that opens up a lot of possibility and that was just from a single move, so who knows how ROB will be this time

But it's exciting to see the start of the next chapter!

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
The only change I'm waiting on is some kind of buff to his up-B at this point. Whether it's being allowed to air dodge straight out of it or better horizontal mobility, either is fine. I just want something so that he can't be easily gimped if his second jump gets eaten early in recovery. Everything else would be a plus after that d-throw buff.

Slug King

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlugKing
The only change I'm waiting on is some kind of buff to his up-B at this point. Whether it's being allowed to air dodge straight out of it or better horizontal mobility, either is fine. I just want something so that he can't be easily gimped if his second jump gets eaten early in recovery. Everything else would be a plus after that d-throw buff.
Given that Duck Hunt can now airdodge out of his upb it's definitely still possible that a change like that gets made.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Given that Duck Hunt can now airdodge out of his upb it's definitely still possible that a change like that gets made.
God I never even considered that! That would be so cool if we could just up b > directional air dodge > up b again.

Also, my favorite change that we've seen so far is the animation for his new fthrow. I literally cannot get over how funny this is

"This ***** empty! Yeet!"
YEET.gif

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Even the longest are 5-6 seconds, don't pretend that this is comparable.
It is comparable. Waiting times are comparable to other waiting times. Their difference can be measured in seconds.

I will demonstrate how comparing times work. Take for example Ridley's Final Smash animation which takes about 6 seconds, and the maximum time before a revival platform disappears since it's inception which is 5 seconds. In order to compare them we can take their difference like so:
5s - 6s = -1s
where s stands for time measured in seconds.
This shows us that the maximum waiting time on a single revival platform is about -1 second longer than Ridley's Final Smash animation. This means that Ridley's Final Smash takes about 1 second longer than the maximum time you would spent waiting on a revival platform due to a transformation Final Smash if you were not killed more than once by it.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep! It would be awesome if there were a fast online mode so we can battle each other constantly and sharpen our skills. I remember getting merked by a Rob who got merked by a Rob who got merked by Mr Eric's Rob on an online tournament last year and that was insane to see such talent. I hope we can all have many matches and take down the non robots!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
We really need a themed stage for R.O.B. While a stage based on Gyromite would be preferable, I would take a Giant R.O.B. in Stack Up Mode, which was the basis of his default MKDS kart, and the players fight on the disks.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Today is the day. R.O.B. has been highlighted in today's Smash Blog post. Nothing new has been revealed just an overview of R.O.B.'s projectiles and color schemes. It's not much but this is a highlight of my day.

Smash Ultimate Blog
Sketch (239).png

Also can't forget the Japanese website.
Sketch (240).png
Sketch (241).png
Sketch (242).png

Last edited:

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
What a great day today is. Happy birthday to the best robot.
:rob::4rob::ultrob:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Actually it confirms that we get SSBB Robo Burner back since that is the only recovery that is very effective. It is also confirms that we get SSBB Gyro back since that is the only Gyro that is powerful.

In addition it confirms that laser will at least do 18% damages when fully charged because 18% damages is the lower inclusive boundary of powerful.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Happy birthday to the best little bot!

Last edited:

Slug King

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlugKing
It is also confirms that we get SSBB Gyro back since that is the only Gyro that is powerful.
As long as it wouldn't get spawned at the same distance as in Brawl. I'd probably stop playing him if it were the case

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As long as it wouldn't get spawned at the same distance as in Brawl. I'd probably stop playing him if it were the case
Brawl ROB feels very weird to go back to after playing Smash 4 ROB. The gyros feel super weird as they come out. I'd rather keep the Smash 4 iteration as well.

Give us back Brawl F-Air and F-Tilt; Sm4sh is fine with the rest in my opinion.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Brawl ROB gyro is very meh because while it's more reliable in that it won't shift position on the floor by itself, it also has so much more start up that'd I'd prefer smash 4 gyro as well.

My preferences align something like
Smash 4 gyro, dthrow, uthrow, uair and weak laser.
Brawl Up B, bthrow, ftilt, fair and bair.

Although I really like 5mash ROB dthrow as it's shown, I have a sneaking suspicion that will unfortunately get changed. Bury from throw is mad stupid unless he's extremely weak somewhere else to compensate. So as long as it doesn't get nerfed further than Sm4shes I'll be happy with it.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Although I really like 5mash ROB dthrow as it's shown, I have a sneaking suspicion that will unfortunately get changed. Bury from throw is mad stupid unless he's extremely weak somewhere else to compensate. So as long as it doesn't get nerfed further than Sm4shes I'll be happy with it.
I think the bury will stay. It looks to me like almost everyone but the 2 pay-to-win characters are getting buffed. I think this is going to be kind of like Brawl- where every character is really powerful.

Also it surprises me that people prefer the Gyro to not be able to do 18 damage and kill. I though this was a pretty major loss. Maybe I will try SSBB R.O.B. again some time to refresh my memory.

However what I miss most of SSBB R.O.B. are his Robo Burner and Ftilt. Robo Burner was way faster and would still be useable during any aerial used out of it, giving R.O.B. a very safe recovery. In addition it could be used to do and aerial while holding the Gyro, though z-dropping makes that kind of obsolete anyway. I also miss Ftitl having more range than all of Marth's moves but Shield Breaker. When I first played Smash4 I kept whiffing Ftilts thanks to the nerfed range.

Last edited:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Characters weren't powerful in Brawl as far as I remember. Maybe before Meta-knight was a thing, you could expect to see some characters around c-c+tier in tourney, but not really any lower than that. Sm4sh that range is wider, though admittedly that's only because of the larger roster and balance updates kept it relatively lively.

If Gyro could keep the power while still retaining its speed, then by all means I'm fine with it. I just don't expect to be given ultra strong tools on our kit since Sakurai's balance of anything in the mid tier seems more for the sake of variety rather than tier progression, and since fast gyro with potential shield cancel gives us an ok landing option, I'm fine with it since gyro functions well in all other aspects besides killing anyway. Just make strong laser a real freakin' kill option already XD

And yes, brawl ftilt and Robo Burner were amazing. I was so sad that it was nerfed like 7 different ways in Sm4sh and hope they'll give at least some of its old properties back.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Characters are not powerful in Brawl but they were in Brawl-.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Oh ok yeah my bad on misreading that XD

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I swear, you miss one notification and you miss 3 days worth of posts...

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep. It took me a long time to make up my mind about gyro....although the damage was nerfed, I actually can say I like the Sm4sh properties better. Most of my Sm4sh R.O.B.'s style revolves around having gyro in hand, and looking back at old brawl footage on youtube I noticed that I barely even acknolwedged its existence becaue Ftilt and Fair were actually good. The BEST thing I can ever hope for is not improved damage or trajectory......let's make it so that only R.O.B. can pickup its own gyro!!! Oh and make the lasers fast and horizontal knockbacking again!!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In Chroms character video, you get a good look at R.O.B.s glitchy eyes returning

Top Bottom