• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Patch Notes - 1.1.0 - AND THEN THERE WAS BUFFS

XXII FOOL

Smash Rookie
Speaking as a main with throw combos:

Have any of you guys tried looking into footstool stuff out of Dthrow? If its super low I'd imagine there is a percent range where it could land, and then hit them with Dair right afterwards during their footstool bounce off of the stage floor (like how Ike can). Follow ups after that Dair might be possible as well. When Ike does it at low percents, he can wrack up some 40+% damage.

I can't look into it myself, I don't have the patch yet.

EDIT: or foostool out of Arcthunder maybe, follow that one up with the dair and see if there are any combos that can happen after?
Robin has no known jab locks which makes footstools much less useful... and levin dair is pretty laggy, such that she cant really follow up a down air low to the ground fast enough. The only thing i could ever see anyone using is down throw --> arcthunder --> immediate footstool and throwing an arcfire right on top of them so that when invincibility ends they get hit.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Our Dair is complete *** and doesn't auto-cancel. Might be worth looking into, but I wouldn't expect anything revolutionary.
Your Levin Sword Dair hits before Ike's Dair does (13 vs 16 frames), so landing it should be no problem. You only have a few more frames of landing lag as well from what I could see by digging through Kurogane and has the same sort of "autocancel" time of after frame 48.

From what I understand on the Ike side of things, you guys should be able to get something I would think. *shrugs*

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ragnell is longer than the Levin Sword though, so Ike can snag the hit he's looking for with some leeway, right?

The opponent can't do anything out of Footstool if he hits the ground, so the timing is totally on the Robin and Ike. Even if Robin gets his out faster, because he "autocancels" at the same time as Ike, he experiences 3 frames more downtime than Ike does, which gives the opponent three additional frames to DI and escape. Combine that with the lesser range, and Robin is left with a very precise window to properly capitalize a Dair ground spike compared to Ike.

Only time we'd ever use Dair from Arcthunder is directly out of Arcthunder itself, at the ledge.

Last edited:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Your Levin Sword Dair hits before Ike's Dair does (13 vs 16 frames), so landing it should be no problem. You only have a few more frames of landing lag as well from what I could see by digging through Kurogane and has the same sort of "autocancel" time of after frame 48.

From what I understand on the Ike side of things, you guys should be able to get something I would think. *shrugs*
It's impossible to land dair off of a footstool with Robin. It has to do with his floatiness/jump speed.. Literally the only move Robin has that he can use to hit someone from a footstool (other than throwing/dropping tomes), is Elwind. That being said, Footstool->Elwind is a guaranteed spike if you input it fast enough..

Dthrow->Footstool->Elwind spike could perhaps be a thing you can do near the edge of the stage.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hrm

Well, at least you guys have two new ledge traps out of this patch then? (Dthrow -> Footstool -> Elwind, and Arcthunder an offstage target -> Dair)

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
So what aerials does DThrow go into now? I know UAir is possible at certain percents, but i've not messed about with Robin yet, so i'm not sure about his FAir/NAir ect.

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
So what aerials does DThrow go into now? I know UAir is possible at certain percents, but i've not messed about with Robin yet, so i'm not sure about his FAir/NAir ect.
You can do anything your dreams can dream off of it. Literally there's p much no limit. You can do aerials, frame traps, projectiles, baits, and setups. Whatever you want man. It's great. I now have an actual reason to go for grab after arcthunder or arcfire. I almost never used grab before except for a shield grab situation and even then I'd just back throw to get them away. But now I have this godlike stuff to play with. I just got done playing with a friend and I was able to pull off arcthunder>grab>d throw> u air a couple times. It felt great killing like that.

Last edited:

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
Well that's just lovely! At least he has another way to throw out his fantastic aerials without having to risk a shield grab or follow up too much, given that they are arguably one of the best sets of aerials in the game.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
hes/her gotten a lot of good buffs but from experience his/hers arcfire comes out faster

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
hes/her gotten a lot of good buffs but from experience his/hers arcfire comes out faster
It does feel like it, to be honest. Although it seems any moves that look faster are still the same, to my knowledge at least.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Exact numbers for Thunder + d-throw frame data changes, from here:

Robin's Thunder total frames reduced by 3 frames, from 42 -> 39 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Elthunder total frames reduced by 10 frames, from 54 -> 44 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Arcthunder total frames reduced by 10 frames, from 54 -> 44 (this excludes minimum charge which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Thunder+ total frames reduced by 3 frames, from 52 -> 49 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Elthunder+ total frames reduced by 10 frames, from 64 -> 54 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Arcthunder+ total frames reduced by 10 frames, from 64 -> 54 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Speed Thunder total frames reduced by 3 frames, from 36 -> 33 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's Speed Elthunder total frames reduced by 10 frames, from 48 -> 38 (this excludes minimum charge time)

Robin's Speed Arcthunder total frames reduced by 10 frames, from 48 -> 38 (this excludes minimum charge time which would add 7 frames)

Robin's down throw total frames reduced by 6 frames, from 43 -> 37.

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
My boy Robin is lookin' like Raiden with all these thunder buffs xD

TheBlueBlur

Smash Rookie
NNID
DaraenMWG
Lol.

How could you possibly think our aerials need LESS lag?

We only take 2/4 frames on soft/hard landing because of autocancels. It's literally godlike.
Robin is not the only one who needs less ending or landing lag in his aereals(Or maybe reduce ending lag of arcfire). Look ganondorf, they gave him more power that doesn't need

Like i said: ornament buffs

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Robin is not the only one who needs less ending or landing lag in his aereals(Or maybe reduce ending lag of arcfire). Look ganondorf, they gave him more power that doesn't need

I..... don't know how you could possibly be more wrong, and the fact that you don't immediately see why tells me you probably won't get it.

XXII FOOL

Smash Rookie

Sorry, but a combo throw she previously didn't have that leads to amazing damage options and guaranteed kill options is a significant buff. Less endlag on arcthunder and it's new ease in giving you grabs / followups also makes her much more of a threat in neutral.

We can't all have sheik aerials.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Dantarion accidentally took down the mastercore dump, but he'll also be putting up article information.

I'll report the info as soon as I see it. Unless someone else posted it already lol

TheBlueBlur

Smash Rookie
NNID
DaraenMWG
Sorry, but a combo throw she previously didn't have that leads to amazing damage options and guaranteed kill options is a significant buff. Less endlag on arcthunder and it's new ease in giving you grabs / followups also makes her much more of a threat in neutral.

We can't all have sheik aerials.
I understand what you are saying but you can not depend on 1 combo

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
I understand what you are saying but you can not depend on 1 combo
Its not one combo. It's the option to even have combos. Its the option to set stuff up, to get more damage or even a kill. If you don't think thats beneficial I don't think anyone can help...

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
What we should probably be looking into now is what our most optimal combos are for damage and kill potential. I'm thinking Wind Jab, Utilt, and obviously Uair will be the bread and butter followups from Dthrow with Ftilt, Nair, and Fair serving as mixups. What about Arcthunder? I'd think the most reliable combo would be Arc -> Dthrow -> % dependent followup since you don't have to be close to get the grab. Obviously point-blank Arc has anything you want, but it will be harder to land that consistently. I'm guessing the most damage will come from smashes in that situation, provided you don't need Nos heals. Thoughts?

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
What we should probably be looking into now is what our most optimal combos are for damage and kill potential. I'm thinking Wind Jab, Utilt, and obviously Uair will be the bread and butter followups from Dthrow with Ftilt, Nair, and Fair serving as mixups. What about Arcthunder? I'd think the most reliable combo would be Arc -> Dthrow -> % dependent followup since you don't have to be close to get the grab. Obviously point-blank Arc has anything you want, but it will be harder to land that consistently. I'm guessing the most damage will come from smashes in that situation, provided you don't need Nos heals. Thoughts?
Arcthunder to grab has been a pretty good punish for me so far. I'm liking it a lot since I end up getting big dmg off it. But I do agree that optimal stuff is pretty important since we want all the dmg we can get.

Nah

Smash Champion
We got endlag reductions on Thunder and Eltunder in addition to Arcthunder too?

Sakurai was hella generous to us this patch

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Rolls and spot dodges were universally nerfed.
Robin now becomes vulnerable on frame 19 of a spot dodge (formerly 20), and on frame 20 of a forward or back roll (formerly 21).

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Alright, these changes are probably already listed, but I'm gonna list them again in case someone missed 'em.

Thunder got a damage increase by 1.5%
Elthunder got the same buff
Arcthunder got the same buff
Thoron got the same buff

His rolls were all reduced by 1 frame, which we know is universal
One of his throws (not his u throw), most likely his dthrow got a cd reduction
from 44 to 38
Then the rest of the data should be his specials and I believe their customs, as well. For sure it's his specials, but I can't conclusively determine if it includes customs.

Again, you guys probably tested this to death and this is kinda more for reassuring myself that he got some pretty damn good buffs!

Smash Journeyman
This might move Robin from high D-tier all the way to low C-tier.

Nah

Smash Champion
Preeeeeeety sure that Thoron does the same damage it's always done

Smash Journeyman
That seems pretty optimistic to me, but even so, top 20 out of 55 isn't that great.

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie
Really happy about these buffs, Robin deserves it because of all the hard work people have to put into this character since he's so complicated to play properly. Still nothing brain dead though which makes him really fun to play and mega satisfying when you completely outplay your opponent.

Also, Thoron buff?? I always opt for Arcthunder before Thoron but is the change in knockback significant because of the damage buff?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Wait, does d-throw actually combo? Every time I go for stuff they just jump out. Or rather, anything I go for other than jab/utilt can be escaped. Arcthunder, etc. are not combos in my experience? What am I doing wrong?

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
*rolls eyes*

Robin is definitely top 20 right now, possibly even top 15.
I think it's a little early to make any definitive declarations on his tier placement. Robin is a lot better than before and we should all be very thankful for that, but it's still too early to call a tier placement for her.

Top Bottom