• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

noodles

Smash Champion
wait do you mean camping? out spam (camp whatever) them unless its a pit then throw a gyro to help protect you. actually that applies against anyone

Overswarm

is laughing at you
wat would one do agaisnt a spammer with rob?
i hate spammers...
Gentlemen, we have a spy among us. He obviously does not play ROB.

Just shoot MORE. >_>

Question about peach that was asked in hard character matchup thread. What's the best way to play a canceling peach when running an offense. I can beat my friend when I camp and just utilize robs range and projectiles, but I'd like to know an effective way to go offensively against a canceling peach because of the small amount of lag and difficulty in approaching peach in the air.
You answered your own question. DON'T go offensive. Why change a winning formula? I advise messing around to find something new.. but if you know how to win, you know how to win.

Also, chozen's advice on the laser is very good.

Using the gyro cancel, you can do a running back air very easily. Fast fall it at all times. From here, you've either hit Peach or spaced yourself. If she jumps, do a retreating laser to cancel her float and then run in with fairs or another gyro cancel to back air. That's basically how I do it when playing Peach, but I don't have much experience against her. No one really "mains" Peach around here, I've just played dabblers and my lil bro.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
so far the most efficient use of the gyro cancel that I've seen/applied has been to do running bairs, and it's much faster than RAR/pivot-jump whatever you want to call it...

wonder if that'll make things easier against Metaknight >_>

I'm working on making Peach my 2nd or 3rd char. so next time I play against one of the few ROBs here or when Chozen comes to SoVa this weekend *crosses fingers* we'll battle and record/post/etc ^_^

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I'm down for that.. unfortunatly my Fiance' totaled my car yesterday, and now i have no ride unless my crew goes w/ me.... so yeah.. i took off work for nothing.. and may have to quit my job/take the bus for abit >_>;

did i mention i hate my life?

ps- <3 SoVa

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
double post for good measure [and to make sure people get the update]

posted this in the video thread already buuuut....

finally, a TINY tiny tiny video...but it gets the point across.

Wavebounce-gyro-cancel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZejjfEsS58

once I figure out exactly what's going on, I might make a thread and full instructional video [if someone beats me to the punch, it better be OS or SuperDoodleMan or something haha]

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I thought instead of showing what I do right, it might be a good idea to show what I do wrong, i.e., what I need to improve on. Other good ROB players can feel free to do the same.

1. I need to implement the jab

The jab isn't that great. It hits once, then it hits again, does crap damage, and isn't that fast. It doesn't set up for anything.

However, it does get you out of tough spots. If you are stuck, you can often jab to get out. If you've got a cool head, you can jab once and then start tilting. This can be good.

The biggest thing though is that at higher %, throwing out a d-smash might work in these situations, but doesn't kill them and can often break your "flow". The jab, on the other hand, keeps the game flowing in your favor and counts as TWO hits, not one, meaning it recharges moves like nair and f-smash and bair faster.

2. Up+b

I recover well, but using the up+b offensively is a weak point I have. I do just fine without it, but it is foolish to not know how to use it instinctively. It is something I must needs work on. Too often I d-throw then attempt to u-air only to have my opponent jump... I could simply up+b to follow them as a surprise, but I do not.

3. Glide toss to grab

I can do this, I just rarely do. I, more often than not, simply glide toss and smash. It WORKS, and is often a better choice, but there have been a few times where the gyro is powershielded and I can't shield poke. This leads to me getting grabbed. That's embarassing. I need to start grabbing when I see the flash.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I'll play this game..

1- I need to change up my approach.. after like 5 games w/ the same person in tourney they start to be able to read me... which sucks.

2- I need to camp more.. i mean... I play ROB.. why the hell not?!?!! MIRIGHT

3- Learn to beat Nacker in ROB dittos or break his thumbs?

4- Become more consistant w/ my ROB trixies [gyro cancels, hover cancels, HoverSliding, Glidetossing]

I need to JabGrab >_>

Sudai

Stuff here
1 - I need more DTilt.

2 - I need to start going out further to edgeguard.

3 - I need better Gyro placement for stage control.

4 - I, too, need to camp more.

5 - I need to stop trying to mind game under the stage. Only works well against slow characters. (BAir/Up-B my way to half way underneath the stage then when the opponent runs to the other side, go back to the origional side. Freakin great against Ike, Snake, and other slow chars.)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
1. I need to space better

2. I need to time my airdodges better

3. I need to RAR more

4. I need to be less predictable

5. I need a good secondary to counter MK (considering Wario and Toon Link right now, not good MK counters, I know)

6. I need to stop sniping my teammate

7. I need to stop doing side-B when I mean to do up-B, that's a killer

8. I need to fastfall better

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
I'll play this game..

#1 priority - Learn to beat Nacker in ROB dittos or break his thumbs?

-1 grab more need to start killing with it and setting up for gyro / laser kills

-2 try and WOP more instead of letting people recover

-3 SPIKE i never spike and it pisses me off

also i dont need thumbs to beat noobs in brawl just need a finger to press B :chuckle:

edit: first time failing at quoting someone >.>

game_tip

Smash Cadet
I would like to play you guys more often
Do you guys iRC?

edit:
When approaching an airborne opponent after a d+smash for instance, I jump once and fly towards them.

1. I hold B while in up+B and Nair them
2. I let them air dodge, then fast fall Bair them

fast fall Bair is too nice and it's great to abuse because the hit box lasts for a while

game_tip

Smash Cadet
In order to do it properly, you have to be flowing in the same direction they are falling from you.

If they are falling towards the stage from the right, you may want to Fair into Robo burn the way they are heading so you can have a lasting impact for that stall Bair

Air chasing is so fun lol NEVER BEFORE HAS SMASH SEEN SUCH A THING!

A funny stall tactic I like to do in the air: (small note: you have to be very careful)
activate Robo Burner, Bair, fastfall, change directions using diagonal Robo burner, repeat

Out of curiousity, anyone tried the following tactic:
Scenario: Opponent just knocked into the air, far in the air
Robo burn towards your enemy, but continuing the attack, you fall with them but right outside their attack range.
they may try to attack you, and when they do, hold up+A.

You will notice that your downward momentum stops and you'll interrupt their attack with your up+A. I don't know it sounds pretty simple but it looks cool

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Hey Overswarm help me! I got defeated TWICE in a row by a **** kirby! All he does is that up b cutter to pressure me, then he KEEPS GRABBING and throwing me down and I can't get out! I discovered the reflect too late, but what can I do? The bair seems to really help too, but that **** fsmash needs to be pointed down which is annoyinig. SSSMMMAAASSSHHH!!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hey Overswarm help me! I got defeated TWICE in a row by a **** kirby! All he does is that up b cutter to pressure me, then he KEEPS GRABBING and throwing me down and I can't get out! I discovered the reflect too late, but what can I do? The bair seems to really help too, but that **** fsmash needs to be pointed down which is annoyinig. SSSMMMAAASSSHHH!!
if he's pressuring you with his up+b, it's not a matchup problem. It's a basics problem.

Use your head! No one can pressure ROB from afar like that. No one! Double jump and throw a gyro or an angled laser. Make him come to you. Then experiment from there until you find something that works.

game_tip

Smash Cadet
Hey I noticed you don't fly after your opponent when you knock 'em off the platform in that kirby video, how come?

up+B = no one can handle it!

game_tip

Smash Cadet
Kirby's down B is nothing to be afraid of!
Pressure 'em into your game! Nonstop rush!

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Not kirby's down b, his UP b. What I was afraid was the darn grab, d throw spamming! But I found a REAL enemy that we all already know...sakurai and his obviously overpowered characters! More specifically, Metaknight!

PS: Since when is metanight all skilled, even to the point of beign Marth's equal?? The last I recall in kirby superstar, metaknight was just another random, generic, and nameless enemy that was defeated time and again!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My toughest match is definitely Game & Watch.

The two big G&W players around here are Needle of Juntah and Cosmo.

What's infuriating is that they both play completely different. NoJ is much more aggressive on stage, but doesn't edgeguard. Cosmo is the EXACT OPPOSITE. :(

I've not had much chance to play them since my game has improved. At the tournament I beat Anther at, NoJ beat me in a MM 2/3 on the 3rd game. The set was close and could have gone either way. The last time I played Cosmo was at the last Smash and Coffee (which I'm going to this weekend, hopefully I'll have vids and shiz), and it only had a 6 minute timer! Our first stock would take 5 minutes and thirty seconds, then I'd respawn and he'd run the timer for the last 30 seconds. Since ROB isn't exactly the king of KOs, I couldn't just run up and kill him even when he's at 120%; this means that I inevitably get damaged by the turtle, so even if I do kill him he can just stand on the platform and wait. SOoooooo frustrating.

That said, it's getting better. I don't have AS much trouble with G&W now as I did, and I've got secondaries I can pull out now. It's just pretty frustrating to play, since G&W has the biggest advantage over ROB in the entire cast :(

Top Bottom