• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB is best played Agressively/Offensively

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
While it's wrong to define a play style, especially a good one, as merely "Offensive"/"Defensive", i'm doing just that for the purpose of argument.

If ROB's style is simplified down to 2 categories, I would have to choose "Offensive" as his best type.
There are benefits to spamming and camping, so I'm not downplaying that style, ROB definitely excels at it.

But I believe he excels at being aggressive even more so. I could say more but I'll leave it at this to encourage discussion.

Thoughts?

Sudai

Stuff here
I think that's the general consensus amongst the better ROB players. Even OS's ROB plays a somewhat offensive campy style.

Though, you said it yourself, it's wrong to define a play style as "offensive" or "defensive" and that's true for many reasons. It's really hard to argue either definitive as a "good play style" because neither is good alone. I'll discuss that if you want, but there's really no discussion in the "Is he better as an offensive player or a defensive player" because ROB has very good options for both, but is best played utilizing both.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I would consider myself as an offensive Gyro spammer...most of the time I have a gyro either charged or in my hand ready to attack with it, followed by any other attack...gyros are good for edge guarding, especially with those that have tether recoveries...just throw it down and it almost always hits...

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Word on the OS being a "campy" ROB.. i mean... Mr Swarm is quite skilled, but he tends to shoot ALOT of lazers and use less Fairs than myself/Hugs would.. he plays very conservativly in contrast to the aforementioned ROBS.

But yes Mr Hugs... IMO being insanely agreesive is the best ROB style. It's like playing campy w/ Marth... its good, but gimping/gaying is far more effective.

soresu

Smash Rookie
Any reasoning behind this sentiment? I thought the general consensus was that defensive play is the way to go?

I think the ideal way to play rob is defensive/camp. You stay near an edge and spam laser/gyro, forcing the opposition to approach. Once they do, you spot dodge/downsmash or shield grab them and throw them off the edge. If you throw them off the edge, then you can gimp them with fairs.

If you play offensively, do you still use laser/gyro? Laser/gyro usually means free damage unless the opponent plays perfectly.

Sudai

Stuff here
You should always be using lasers and gyros. Just don't bother camping. Camping works at the beginning of most fighters because it takes people a while to learn to get around it, but the general consensus is that camping is a ****ty play tactic. Not only is it boring, it's rather ineffective in the long run. ROB has a great spacing game. Abusing that is much better and much more effective than sitting back and spamming. Besides, it's not hard at all to get gimp kills even when you are approaching. : P

Conclusion: Lasers can be easily shielded/spotdodge/rolled and gyros can be thrown back at you. Doesn't make them bad, just means you shouldn't camp with them...like all other projectiles.

Note: OS is the exception to this cause he's a bastage.

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
I have a hard time imagining ROB as a campy defender. Laser requires a second between each shot, and you can only have one Gyro on screen at a time. Also, while >B is TECHNICALLY a reflector, its not a great one. Against a REAL camper, like Pit, ROB's game seems a little... anemic.

I imagine ROB as a conservative attacker. You should be poking with >air, B, and VB, always driving them towards an edge. Once they get to that edge, you can do what ROB does best: gimp their recovery until they die. Although he's not a crazy rushdown fiend, the fact is, he is at his best when he's pushing forward.

But then again, I'm a Smash n00b. What do I know?

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
i agree with ROB being well Offensively, thats usually the only way i play. However, Offensive can just get me in a mess, especially against TL and Marth, cuz they seem to outprioritize too hard. Unless my Offensive game isnt so good...but going Offensive can just get u in an easy stock loss, yet Offensive is the best way - ROB being a robot and all...

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
my $0.02

Absolutely. ROB excels at keeping pressure on the opponent and forcing them off the edge. I play him very aggressively and with the complements of his ownage projectiles and amazing weight to recovery ability ratio.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
If you were to boil it down to one or the other, then yes. But, I play what I like to call a 'Bait and Switch' ROB. Essentially, camp a bit in the first minutes of the match-frustrate your opponent into making them feel like they have to attack you (The bait). Once they get flustered and start attacking blindly, I change to the uber offensive ROB (the switch).

It tends to work for me. Just my nickle's worth.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I definitely agree with RaZer. Who doesn't fire a laser the opening seconds of every match until an opponent counters it? Once they realize that staying away means more lasers and gyros, it pretty much forces them to go forward. Spot-dodging multiple times and downsmashing, as much as it makes people hate you, is ridiculously effective. Once they press forward, it's time to go on the offensive with R.O.B.'s nice priority and ranged attacks (especially aerials)

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Well, naturally one style wouldn't work. And hardly anyone's style can be boiled down to just 2 options.

But just to compare, In melee, Vidjo had a "defensive" peach and Cort had an "Offensive" peach. However, both were known to sway during certain points in certain match ups. Even then, their styles could still be fitted into one of the two groups, in a way.

So what I'm saying is that ROB is possibly being played below his potential when a gyro+laser style takes first priority. Know what I mean?

Clearly it's early and I may very well be wrong, but that's how I feel at this point in time, based on what I think ROB can do.

orintemple

Smash Lord
No character can truly play one style. You can be defensive to a point but eventually you are going to have to go on the offensive. Unless of course you opponent is so bad that he never realizes rushing straight towards you every time isn't working. You gotta switch it up mid fight, adapt, a good player will do that.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
R.O.B. has to walk the line between both, I find. I think more than any other character R.O.B. excels at switching between being very offensive and very defensive, which gives him a lot more options.

I myself prefer being aggressive first and defensive second. Often, I find that when I play too defensively I lose, and when I play too aggresively I leave myself way too open. R.O.B. needs that fine balance. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it might be because of all of his start-up times and junk.

Top Bottom