• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RMIT Super Smash Bros. Tournament

Dekar289

Smash Hero
grats dreadtech!

shoutouts to the big 3 upsets:
- hughie defeating nido in project m
- jake defeating splice in melee
- analog stick/yoshi's story defeating PCG in melee amateur finals

ggs

Meredy

The Busterina
Anyone know who was recording the matches on that one setup? I wanna watch my set with PCG.

Splice

Smash Hero
Collosal Well-Done to Nic Downer for organising the show in what could be considered the most consistent Melee season of 2014. Run by a single dude nonetheless, of course not without seeding/bracket assistance from Phil J Pretty ;)
good work blokes

Large Thankyou to PCG and Bu$ for sick hospitality yo

Big props to Matt-G and Dreadtech for winning Melee and P:M amateur brackets respectively.
Shoutouts to Jason for unveiling himself to me in euphoric fashion with his window kill
and Jesse for hangin' out throughout the event

Good games to:
Surgi - Stick to Peach but learn to use float properly. You are way too grounded especially against a Falco when you can float just above short hop height. Be patient and don't play into peoples aggressive gameplan, force them to slow down with careful positioning with float etc. and then capitalising with huge punishes when they overextend. At this point it's impossible to overextend on you because you have no defence = no solid/threatening neutral game.

Jake - gg's, nice spacing and solid decision making. Try to play a bit faster and exert pressure. If you move around a lot more and think about where the opponent is you can punish them more for hasty and badly spaced approaches, instead of letting me eat your shield/hit you for free. Work on retreating aerials and retreating double fair and generally using fair better and more often (with Marth)

Haikal - Sorry that the tournament format was not made clear dude :E Tight set as always, big kudos and much respect for not being as ruthless and disgusting in your playstyle as Atticus is. Still waiting for that big friendly sesh we haven't had yet this year... possibly this week!? still working on random mid-break assignment but we'll see

Cal - GG's dude. Nearly let you get the best of me in game 1 when I made a few unforced errors against your defensive and opportunist playstyle, but you made unforced errors in your gimps so I guess it even'd out. Definitely know you can play better so would be good to have a tighter set in future. Don't waste it by playing Sheik against me though :p

Atticus - Bad games as always please find work interstate or overseas, thanks.

Last edited:

ndowner

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-4856-6512
facebook.com/events/265075303693744/

1st meet, check it

Meredy

The Busterina
22nd August RMIT results.

Melee:
1. SD
2. Dekar
3. Splice
4. Mask1n
5. Noxus
5. Miles
7. JKTS
7. Vincent
9. Meredyse
9. Nicolas Downer
9. Tommy
9. Helle0n
13. Hyes
13. Cuck
13. Flukey
13. Michael Smith
17. Slop
17. Justanotherfox
17. JD
17. Amaterasu Omikami
17. DMGZ
17. Yerfdog
17. Flog
25. Giggity
25. Kweh
25. Bcup
25. Thor
25. NOLZ
25. HyperKitty
25. Tomo009
Bracket: http://rmitssb.challonge.com/rmitmeleeaugust14

PM:
1. Jamwa
2. 1ampercent
3. Mask1n
4. FMSKenny
5. Doozy
5. Nido
7. Dreadtech
7. MGK
9. Baileeh
9. Naga
9. Fudge
9. Venks
13. Rascal
13. 2+
13. Spitzem
13. Hobs
Bracket: http://rmitssb.challonge.com/rmitpmaugust14

My shoutouts coming soon.

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to Baileeh for forcing me to stay in shield for 90% of the game, and putting up with two Yoshis in a row.

Well played Jamwa and congrats on winning. Thanks for not wrecking me too hard.

Doozy beats me again. Still hate PK Fire. Hardest Ness to kill ever, how did you even live to 180%??????

So many good players and so many upsets. Congrats 1&% for getting to Grand Finals and almost 4 stocking me in friendlies.

Meredy

The Busterina
Shoutouts wooooo.

Hyes: Good to finally meet you in tournament rather than just friendlies. Thanks for the fun set.

Dekar: Thanks for not using Marth against me.

Mask1n: Seriously just go away.

JKTS: You're getting good fast, good job on getting 7th and taking a game off Codie.

JKTS

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to Atticus for not showing up so I could fraud my way to round 3.

Good set Miles, I choked pretty hard at the end of that last game. Couldn't handle the preHA.

Codie, pick a different character, I'm pretty sure I banned the wrong stage. I don't know how to Samus.

Dekar, you should pony up on those lessons you owe me on sunday me so I can rek at SS.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
My memory is quite bad, I don't remember 2/5 sets I played. Everyone I vsed chokedat some point though. I literally climbed the pyramid of chokes to GFs, I certainly did not expect to do THAT well.

Hobs:
Dude, my brain process needs tweaking. I was assuming you'd want to play friendlies because, well we have done so many times in the past. We did RPS and everything and I swear Idk what I was thinking, time probably flew by quickly when I was doing my setup, it did took a while, thought the tourney starts later, but it should have been damn obvious it was a serious match by then, I'm so ********. I was gonna give you the first game but since you're too kind and all you agreed to restart after I lost the first game. Despite it being 2-0 it feels like a close 2-1 to me, especially that almost 3 stock comeback in Dreamland.

@ Nido Nido
I can't remember this set very well, I think there was Doc, then and one of the Earthbound chars. I do remember it being close though. Please help provide info?

@FMSKenny
I'd say most intense match of the tourney for me. There's some people watching, and I was getting a lot of nerves too. You don't need to tell me how much you choked, I sensed it as well. I couldn't believe how many times I've got on the stage when I'm supposed to die, it was nuts. I never went into semis before so wouldn't know about Bo5s, luckily Splice caught on about that. Picked Ganon to test how good it was on that day, it was horrid, decided not to use him again throughout the tourney. And then your biggest choke, when you failed to sweetspot the ledge at game 4 last stock, I kinda knew you missed it, but since I was so nervous and all I did the weirdest looking fsmash ever. Usually I opt for some other punishment but I was scared of missing a l-cancel!

@ mask1n mask1n
Don't remember that much of this set either for some reason, but I think there was a Jiggs and Earthbound char? It was supposed to be Bo5 though! Please help provide info? Don't be sorry losing to Jamwa, he's good...

@ Jamwa Jamwa
Knew I was in for something when you picked Squirtle, my training partner is mostly Lv 9 CPU lol, and Squirtle is who I have most trouble against. Half the stuff you did I didn't know was possible, so it was a good learning experience for me. I felt like a lucky fraudulent scrub who somehow got on the winners side of GFs, then you show a lot of skill in your movement, combo knowledge, thinking process, and adapting. You weren't an all gimmicks player and I respect that. I only won 2 games in the 2 sets because your SDs, if anything you deserved the win. Really GGs

@ Dyl9 Dyl9
Good friendlies, Yoshi looks fun to play as, but it's way too foreign for me. Though I learned a few things from P:M Yoshi though. Hopefully PMDT can implement Mlee Yoshi's parry in the future. My very occasional training partner mains Yoshi but plays way differently because there's no ATs being used lol, perhaps that might explain why I nearly got the 4 stock?

@ Dekar289 Dekar289
Sorry for making you pick Falcon... wait I said sorry already! How come Peach doesn't work anymore? First Redact now SD...

@ ndowner ndowner
It was a great tournament, for me at least lol. Monitors do have slight delay but you could get used to it I suppose... but playing P:M with widescreen looks a lot better. Can you possibly make a post on Smashboards to sign up for the next RMIT tourney? It would help me at least :)

Splice

Smash Hero
Jamie Cagorski Project M Master

What a champion best in the world

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
Monitors do have slight delay but you could get used to it I suppose
That particular monitor that we played friendlies on did seem to have some issues. It may have had something to do with the custom content on the console.

Also sorry for not stopping Jamwa in round 2.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
That particular monitor that we played friendlies on did seem to have some issues. It may have had something to do with the custom content on the console.
That's actually my setup, there's no custom content on it except Music and Stage Select Screen, which do not cause any lag. I used to use stage textures but went against it due to the possibility of lag and getting people pissed off etc... Someone said that every monitor is different, perhaps it was that monitor? Who knows... usually I use component cables, those monitors don't have input for it.
Also sorry for not stopping Jamwa in round 2.
I think mask1n said the exact same thing, but I don't think there's anything we could do about it, Jamwa too stronk, It was his moment to shine I guess.

mask1n

Smash Cadet
NNID
mask1n
3DS FC
0318-7208-5996
@ mask1n mask1n
Don't remember that much of this set either for some reason, but I think there was a Jiggs and Earthbound char? It was supposed to be Bo5 though! Please help provide info? Don't be sorry losing to Jamwa, he's good...
I legit ****ed up with that one, my bad~ :V I used Mario in the first game.

Also I felt pretty ****ty about that losers set with Jamie cause I made the terrible decision to switch to Mario when G&W was serving me pretty well. :c

@ Meredy Meredy : Please find a way to beat Jigglypuff; I want our sets to be interesting thx

@ R RascalTheCharizard : [insert clip of Zelda's side-taunt here] Hopefully you perform better next time we play, dude.

@ Jamwa Jamwa : You deserved to wreck me in top 3 after that horrible winner's set, lol. ggs

@ ndowner ndowner : Thanks for letting me into Melee as well as PM :3

MGK: Your Ganon's pretty legit, still kinda bummed out that he caused my Puff so much grief! :p Work on a secondary as well and you'd be a bigger force in PM.

Miles: Those gimps I got on you at Battlefield felt pretty dirty, lol. Was a fun set though! :D

Thanks also to the people that introduced themselves to/played friendlies with me - had a really fun night!

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
I legit ****ed up with that one, my bad~ :V I used Mario in the first game.
Mario eh? Now I remember, a lot of pills in Dreamland, so damn annoying haha. I also recall an attempted jab reset -> rest but it missed =/ and then I get free reverse Falcon Punch! Hopefully you will remember there's Bo5 in Semis and beyond.

Last edited:

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Hey 1ampercent,

Last week you pulled out the power of a console I was having a tourney match on. This week you didn't realise we were playing a tourney match together.

I shudder to think what you're gonna do to get the psychological edge over me at SSV next week!

Jokes man, was a good set. Its definitely on my list to beat you in tournament. Maybe if I work harder I can get you!

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Hey 1ampercent,

Last week you pulled out the power of a console I was having a tourney match on. This week you didn't realise we were playing a tourney match together.
That derp moment at RMIT was completely my fault, hmm I wonder if I'm gonna do something ******** 3 times in a row lol.
I shudder to think what you're gonna do to get the psychological edge over me at SSV next week!
If I do something ******** again, especially that has you involved in it, then I don't know what to think. I'm probably gonna leave the venue and question myself whether I'm the biggest fraud or not.
Jokes man, was a good set. Its definitely on my list to beat you in tournament. Maybe if I work harder I can get you!
You almost did, I'm very inconsistent so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you beat me next time. Keep at it!

Noxus

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to Atticus for not showing up so I could fraud my way to round 3.

Good set Miles, I choked pretty hard at the end of that last game. Couldn't handle the preHA.

Codie, pick a different character, I'm pretty sure I banned the wrong stage. I don't know how to Samus.

Dekar, you should pony up on those lessons you owe me on sunday me so I can rek at SS.
Shiek okay?

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Had a great time at the tournament! Thanks to everyone who made it such an awesome experience! Especially that lax guy who played like 50 friendlies with me before the tournament!
I'm eager for Smash 4 to come out and Project M is definitely making the wait easier. I only won one round, but I didn't really expect to do even that. I don't own PM and have only played DK once before, but he's just way too fun. I love all the things he can do out of grabs and how lethal he can be at any random time.

Had a lot of fun playing @ Nido Nido 's Ness. That first round had me pretty scared due to all those spikes, but the second round was so much nicer. You punished me so many times for trying to add onto my up-throws. I've definitely learned that's not the go-to throw against Ness.

I also played a cool Mario player who did some friendlies with me after my match. I unfortunately don't remember your name, but you showed me some awesome stuff with Donkey Kong. Seeing your playstyle with the character has definitely shown me that I should mix things up more myself.

Oh and of course tons of respect for the Ganon player Matthew(MGK) who was also playing a PM tournament for the first time. I had no idea that Ganon was good in this game, but yeah that guy hurts a lot. I'm so used to reacting to anything Ganon can throw out, but this is definitely not Brawl. Thanks for all the tips for fighting PM Ganons!

Can't wait for Shadowloo Showdown. It's a shame Smash 4 won't be there as some people were whispering about, but it'll still be a lot of fun. Hoping to play some matches with everyone in PM and of course I'll be trying my hand at Brawl Doubles as well.

Meredy

The Busterina
Okay guys, the next tournament is this Friday (the 26th). Go here and make sure to comment on the status with which game you'd like to enter as well as your tag. The brackets for both Melee and PM will cap at 32 so get in fast!

Top Bottom