• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Super stoked to try this out, but I've hit a snag. Whenever I select a character, I get this:

memory:67:22: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER

############################################################################################

Anybody know how to fix this?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Super stoked to try this out, but I've hit a snag. Whenever I select a character, I get this:

memory:67:22: error: syntax error, unexpected NEW_IDENTIFIER

############################################################################################

Anybody know how to fix this?
There's a topic about this on the Steam Forums.

Hi there,

Are you getting a game crash when you select a character? Chances are that you need the DirectX Runtime Update on your computer then.

Download and install this then try again:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Thanks!
Dan Fornace

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure you get 1 wall jump wile in freefall. Ex: Wrastor Up b but does not clear ledge, wall jump, Up B again
That is what I figured, I noticed there was a limit with that so guessed it was probably intentional but just wanted to point that out. Its kinda weird to be able to break the freefall rule like but that is my opinion :)

The game is pretty fun though so I'm enjoying Kragg. Forsburn lags my cpu when he uses that smokescreen move so I try to avoid him :/

Last edited:

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
There's a topic about this on the Steam Forums.

Hi there,

Are you getting a game crash when you select a character? Chances are that you need the DirectX Runtime Update on your computer then.

Download and install this then try again:

Thanks!
Dan Fornace
Granted, but I for sure have it installed already. My error is also slightly different.

FATAL ERROR in Vertex Shader compilation
ShaderName: shColorReplaceBlendExt

D3DXCompile failed - result

This is the error you're supposed to get if it's due to DirectX being out of date; no syntax errors there.

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
Is the game Controller supported? i don't see any options for it, must we get third party software for the time being?

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
That is what I figured, I noticed there was a limit with that so guessed it was probably intentional but just wanted to point that out. Its kinda weird to be able to break the freefall rule like but that is my opinion :)

The game is pretty fun though so I'm enjoying Kragg. Forsburn lags my cpu when he uses that smokescreen move so I try to avoid him :/
turn on simple smoke in graphic setting

kupo15

Smash Hero
^ Thanks! :)

Also when you go from Online to offline you have to redo your control customization

Last edited:

Violet Broregarde

Smash Rookie
I'm having the same issue as SAHunterMech. I'm running the game on Wine; I don't think the function is implemented there yet.
Is it possible to turn off whatever is causing that?
EDIT
ok, it's slightly different

memory:8:36: error: syntax error, unexpected KW_REGISTER, expecting VAR_IDENTIFIER or TYPE_IDENTIFIER or NEW_IDENTIFIER

Last edited:

dbo5666

Smash Rookie
Does Zetta up b spike? Cause it seemed to spike me but I've only encountered it once and it was a cpu so it was accidental

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
I'm having the same issue as SAHunterMech. I'm running the game on Wine; I don't think the function is implemented there yet.
Is it possible to turn off whatever is causing that?
EDIT
ok, it's slightly different

memory:8:36: error: syntax error, unexpected KW_REGISTER, expecting VAR_IDENTIFIER or TYPE_IDENTIFIER or NEW_IDENTIFIER
Well, I don't think it's so much of an issue with turning something off as it is the fact that Wine doesn't treat drivers the same way as Windows does.

Shader errors are due to missing drivers. Since you're using Wine, I don't know how to fix that, but here's the link anyway that fixed the problem for me.
This pretty much confirms that. I'm hoping though, that because it's a syntax error, it could be fixed in the next version.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
ATTENTION ALL MAC (and possibly Linux) USERS. I HAVE THE GAME WORKING ON MY MAC IN WINE.

Oh Goodness Gravy, I got it working! To all the mac users out there, the web installer won't work... but the redistributable will.

Follow the instructions on this site. I know it says Linux, but it worked fine for me. You can skip the steps "Setup Core Files", and "Setup Additional Files".

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html

Here is a link to the Redistributable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
So after playing almost a full day of this game, I have to say that it's really fun and the characters feel really good. I think I've gotten a decent handle on everyone now and I was pulling off some pretty sick stuff in matches.

So far, the only issue that stands out to me is Zetterburn's Forward Strong, which I feel has significantly too much knockback, to the point that it basically trivializes half his moveset. In particular, I feel there is almost no point doing combos with Zetterburn, because a simple Dash Attack Forward Strong combo kills at like 60% if they're on fire (I don't think this is escapable at that percent, but even if it forward strong is such a good footsie tool it almost doesn't matter, it's never a hard move to land). Zetterburn has some sick combos that let him combo into Up Strong, but there's really just not a lot of point going for them when you can usually just get the kill with Forward Strong at the same percents.

I'd probably like to see Forward Strong lose about half its current kill power, so it would reliably kill around 110-120% if the opponent was on fire. This would give you a good incentive to use Zetterburn's other tools, while still proving this move as a reliable failsafe if you can't get the kill before then. It simply seems like too good of a footsie tool to kill that early.

(It's worth noting that Wolf's version of that move was never his most potent kill option).

I expect a lot of "day 1", "don't let him get you on fire then" blah blah blah, though I definitely think it's an issue that Forward Strong kills much earlier than Up Strong, considering how much easier it is to land. It should need 90% at the bare minimum (which is about how much you usually need for Up Strong to kill).

Last edited:

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
Got gamecube controllers working with the guide on big friendly games. definitely awkward having a smash button so i made sure to take care of that.

As for the post about zetterburn, i honestly feel like zetterburn is a bad character if he doesn't get kills at low percentages. the character has an easily gimped recovery in every matchup. if zetter only killed at high percentages, he would need a better recovery like the rest of the cast.

greenglass

Smash Rookie
Hi.
Don't know whether or not this has been answered before but here goes it.
So yesterday I was playing just fine, turned the game off, couple hours later, came back and everytime I clicked online to find a match I got rivals of aether has stopped working error message. Anyone know why?

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I'm sorry i disappeared for so long!
Just bought the game on steam and oh am i happy to see it out.
First of all congratulations to the whole team (maybe me included) from sfx to sound artists, designers, programmers, play testers ... we all did a great job and the game looks amazing !
I hope it sells well and people all over the world play it and enjoy it as much as we do.
Also hoping to see new content on the horizon with stages, characters and whatnot.
I wouldn't mind if as dlc or free.

Once again congratulations and wish you all the best of luck

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, my play group is now streaming rivals a lot. My friend potato has a mean orcane and he plays on there and if you see a Wrastor named crow that's me.

http://www.twitch.tv/cuddlypotato

There is lag in a lot of matches (to be expected in early access) so if you see us flailing around like monkeys that's probably what's happening :)

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I won't lie though. i was expecting a lot more names under the playtesters tab on credits... including my own.
maybe we didn't do much, maybe we weren't that big of a help but we all did small ammounts and we all helped one way or another. Me, for example, am the only brazilian content producer of the whole community, i've been taking the aether's setup i have (which was pre- forsburn) to every smash tournament i go to (and now will take the steam version) and a big part of brazilian smash community that is going to buy this game had at least a small amount of my influence in it.

I'll cut the drama short tho, surprised me not to see my name or other smashboards fellows names around...

any word on why that happened 4nace 4nace ?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Got gamecube controllers working with the guide on big friendly games. definitely awkward having a smash button so i made sure to take care of that.

As for the post about zetterburn, i honestly feel like zetterburn is a bad character if he doesn't get kills at low percentages. the character has an easily gimped recovery in every matchup. if zetter only killed at high percentages, he would need a better recovery like the rest of the cast.
LOL

Zetter has all the advantages of being PM Wolf with none of the real drawbacks that come with spacies since L cancelling and grabs arent in this game. His combo game is insane and super easy, along with having fire do damage over time and boost his KB.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
Yo guys just another reminder that I do viewer battles on my stream from 6-9 PM EST on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

You can catch me over at http://twitch.tv/Reddit_Admin

I'm a playtester so I have plenty of knowledge of the game already. Don't be afraid to ask any questions! Thanks.

-Edgekid

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I won't lie though. i was expecting a lot more names under the playtesters tab on credits... including my own.
maybe we didn't do much, maybe we weren't that big of a help but we all did small ammounts and we all helped one way or another. Me, for example, am the only brazilian content producer of the whole community, i've been taking the aether's setup i have (which was pre- forsburn) to every smash tournament i go to (and now will take the steam version) and a big part of brazilian smash community that is going to buy this game had at least a small amount of my influence in it.

I'll cut the drama short tho, surprised me not to see my name or other smashboards fellows names around...

any word on why that happened 4nace 4nace ?
I understand how you feel. I worked alongside GatorfaceV and even made a few videos on my channel of the game. I now own the steam version and have been advertising it like hell. A little goes on a long way but chances are that Dan won't remember EVERY single one of our names. I guess we can try to be patient, my friend.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
LOL

Zetter has all the advantages of being PM Wolf with none of the real drawbacks that come with spacies since L cancelling and grabs arent in this game. His combo game is insane and super easy, along with having fire do damage over time and boost his KB.
yeah but that isn't abnormal stuff for this game. characters in rivals are better than smash characters.
Also pm wolf has a better recovery, a better projectile, and better kill conversion if fire is not considered.

regardless, rivals characters are better than smash characters, and even pm characters, stuff like this shouldn't be controversial imo.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Hi.
Don't know whether or not this has been answered before but here goes it.
So yesterday I was playing just fine, turned the game off, couple hours later, came back and everytime I clicked online to find a match I got rivals of aether has stopped working error message. Anyone know why?
Had the same error. I was initializing the game directly from the shortcut, without turning Steam on. Always login into Steam before initializing the game.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
yeah but that isn't abnormal stuff for this game. characters in rivals are better than smash characters.
Also pm wolf has a better recovery, a better projectile, and better kill conversion if fire is not considered.

regardless, rivals characters are better than smash characters, and even pm characters, stuff like this shouldn't be controversial imo.
It isn't hard to the early kills with Zetterburn. At the edge of the stage, around 30%, Burning Target -> F-Smash is almost always a kill. If you can't kill, at least you put the target into a very bad position in which your projectiles might do the trick. His F-Smash isn't hard to land since he moves a lot during it. At 50%, even F-Tilt might do the trick.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I want to buy this. Can I ask how many characters are planned for the... huh, "full release" of the game?

^^Fire^^

Smash Cadet
The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
I always get this error message when I try to select a character

D3DXCompile failed - result

Does anyone know why or how to actually fix it? Also this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 just takes me to the windows 10 download page???

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
It isn't hard to the early kills with Zetterburn. At the edge of the stage, around 30%, Burning Target -> F-Smash is almost always a kill. If you can't kill, at least you put the target into a very bad position in which your projectiles might do the trick. His F-Smash isn't hard to land since he moves a lot during it. At 50%, even F-Tilt might do the trick.
its actually not abnormal for characters to kill at 40-50% at the edge of the stage with their early kill moves, even against survival DI.

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Where can I go to be notified when a big tournament is happening for Rivals of Aether? I ask because I'd love to watch this game grow competitively.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I want to buy this. Can I ask how many characters are planned for the... huh, "full release" of the game?

In other news, it just occurred to me that another, probably less drastic way to "fix" Zetterburn would just be to make his Dash attack pop you upwards a bit more, so that Dash Attack Forward Strong is not a true combo. Then you'd have to land the move in footsies for that super early kill, which takes a bit more work, and as an added bonus, it would slightly buff his air combo game, too.

Forward strong probably still needs to lose at least a little kill power, but not nearly as much with that adjustment.

Last edited:

kupo15

Smash Hero
Fun game, there is only only thing I am completely against which makes no sense. Why does Kragg's earthquake move behave like a physical attack? Its clearly a projectile and makes no sense as to why he gets stunned on parry and why it stops midway through if hit out of it.

What's your thinking on that 4nace 4nace ? I'm pretty curious.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It'd be nice to have another female character beside Absa, though.
Maypul is female. Also, they said there might be DLC.

Fun game, there is only only thing I am completely against which makes no sense. Why does Kragg's earthquake move behave like a physical attack? Its clearly a projectile and makes no sense as to why he gets stunned on parry and why it stops midway through if hit out of it.

What's your thinking on that 4nace 4nace ? I'm pretty curious.
How would you "reflect" that attack? It just does 3 spikes and that's it.

Other moves that throw out a "static" projectile also stun on parry, like Maypul's Down Air and Absa's Hold B Lightning Bolt.

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
Any body have patch notes for the balance changes between beta and early access?

I have noted several major changes, but there are several other things i am not sure are any different or maybe it is just that online play makes things feel a bit different from the latency...

Positive These were changed:

1) Zburn's up smash has a better hitbox.

2) Maypul seed throw speed reduced significantly.

3) Forsburn back-air gets a new sour spot

Not sure if these were changed:

1) Maypul up-air has been nerfed slightly? Seems less relaible for kill than it used to be.

2) Forsburn smash attacks altered to connect more often than before? Not sure if this one is true.

3) Forsburn back air sweet spot has extra knockback compared to before?

4) Kragg towards-B seems different from beta somehow... can't put my finger on it?

5) Kragg seems heavier/harder to kill than he was in beta as well?

6) Changes to Forsburn clone? I heard someone say that you can press 'b' to make the clone attack or something?

Last edited:
Top Bottom