• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

kupo15

Smash Hero
This game looks pretty good as well! I'm pretty interested in the Rock type and he has some really neat looking moves! I'll be checking this out when it comes out on steam! Time to show people that GameMaker is a better engine than people give credit for. Keep it up :)

Last edited:

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
y ZB: up special into your pillar, breaking through it, walljumping, and up special again
It's pretty easy to beat. Just jump over Kragg and break his pillar. It will put him in freefall and he'll have no recovery unless he just jumped onto the stage, which would ruin the strategy.
Just jump back on stage as soon as you feel they are going to destroy the pillar.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I'm yet another person asking this but will Rivals of Aether be able to read the gamecube adapter?

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
@ theopenlink22 theopenlink22

Just accept that the strategy is pretty easily beatable lol... trust me, I know as a Kragg main. Also, the neutral b IS parryable.

Last edited:

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
Another amazing strat! As orcane, do a running RAR and do a fair as you go forward and you shoot forward like a bullet man!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Another amazing strat! As orcane, do a running RAR and do a fair as you go forward and you shoot forward like a bullet man!
This is already well-known. Fair's reverse hitbox has been coined as the "Bubble Butt".

Also, about the x360ce method... is that even going to work properly with Steam? It involves running a completely different .exe obtained via extracting the regular one. Is Steam going to be able to detect that different .exe as Rivals of Aether?

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
This is already well-known. Fair's reverse hitbox has been coined as the "Bubble Butt".

Also, about the x360ce method... is that even going to work properly with Steam? It involves running a completely different .exe obtained via extracting the regular one. Is Steam going to be able to detect that different .exe as Rivals of Aether?
I have used x360ce on steam games without encountering problems.

4nace

Smash Ace

Steam will be using the already extracted version of the game so will be one less step even.

-Dan

Bi_o

Smash Rookie
Eh. No need. This can be the home. I wouldn't want to make another account.
I don't know. For right now, the Smashboards thread does fine in its own right, mostly 'cause we talk about stuff that we can all chime in on. The thread starts running into problems when multiple topics are being discussed at once, since then replies, continuations, and tangents all get scattered, potentially throughout multiple pages. The same sort of thing happens when someone asks a question that we know has an answer already typed out here; if they're trying to find an answer, they'll have to look through the entirety of the thread, unless someone can point them to a specific region of pages. Seeing as how we already have 79 pages at this point, this would just mean that we're just adding more onto a single source for information that can't have it's own categories and sub-sections, which ends up causing all kinds of organizational problems.

Of course, we still have the subreddit and the Steam discussions, which do have more options for proper organization, but that would essentially leave us with the same problem, but on a different scale; while those places may have better organization, it ends up being that all the info for Rivals is now spread out over a bunch of different sources, which means people might have to look for longer in more places in order to find the answer to their question, which could take up even more time.

However, if we do get some kind of official forums (Aetherboards, if you will), and if we encourage people to use it as their main source for information (something to the effect of, 'If you have a question, or something to share, then post it here first!'), that one extra account could be almost all you need to get any sort of news or data regarding Rivals.

I'm sorry if this comes across as me attacking you or me just ranting. If anyone disagrees, then go ahead and let me know.

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
However, if we do get some kind of official forums (Aetherboards, if you will), and if we encourage people to use it as their main source for information (something to the effect of, 'If you have a question, or something to share, then post it here first!'), that one extra account could be almost all you need to get any sort of news or data regarding Rivals.
The biggest point I'd like to add on to this is the fact that RoA is coming out for Xbox One and PC. It's going to get a lot of its exposure from people who are not Smash players - people who would never have any reason to have a Smashboards account. It's important to remember that this game's community will inevitably include a lot of non-Smash players. Many of my friends who are excited about this game don't play Smash at all.

Last edited:

Bi_o

Smash Rookie
Is this game going to have native support for gamecube adapters?
On full release, it will have native support for Mayflash Gamecube adapters. For Early Access, however, it does not have native support. You will have to use xbox360ce to have it work, though I think the game will come with this so you can set it up easier.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I want this game yesterday, in that I only found out about it yesterday. Oh well, I already showed it to a bunch of people.

Also, a Smash game where Spot Dodge is the main form of defense? Prepare to get bodied, because Spot Dodge has always been my jam.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I want this game yesterday, in that I only found out about it yesterday. Oh well, I already showed it to a bunch of people.

Also, a Smash game where Spot Dodge is the main form of defense? Prepare to get bodied, because Spot Dodge has always been my jam.
Its actually a parry, not a spot dodge. when you parry a move that an opponent throws out, it puts them in a helpless state (or reflects the move if it is a projectile).

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I can't wait until it comes out next week. Will the controls work fine even with a PS3 controller? I don't have an Xbox controller right now. Also I hope this game gets it's own forum here.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I had a fun idea for an easter egg (If you are looking to add those?)

What if playing with your tag set to one of the developers tags (/names?) (Like 4nace or flashygoodness (flashy for short?)) with their main (Zetterburn, for you dan I think) set that character to a special 'secret' pallet. There are conveniently 8 devs listed on the official site, and 8 characters, so that works out nicely. It could be a fun during tournaments for spectators to see for the first time. It would give a little insight to fans of which characters the people who worked on the game liked the most, and it doesnt seem like it would be that hard to add in.

Full disclosure. I a little bit stole this idea from Terraria.
The problem is that now everyone probably read this and will check to see if it's in.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
The game will have online multiplayer right? I don't have friends to play this with :c
Yep online 1v1, random or with a steam friend. There is also a steam group for matchmaking. "Rivals of Aether fight club"

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Its actually a parry, not a spot dodge. when you parry a move that an opponent throws out, it puts them in a helpless state (or reflects the move if it is a projectile).
Spot Dodge has always functioned a lot like a parry, it's a predictive defensive action to allow you to punish a move which might otherwise be safe, it's just even stronger in this game. Actually, if I have one concern in this game, it's that the Spot Dodge / Parry move might be so strong as to significantly discourage offense. In Smash, Spot Dodge is balanced out by the fact that there are some moves that beat Spot Dodge, either moves that are so active that they stay out longer than Spot Dodge remains active (ie, Zelda Forward Smash), or they recover so fast that the opponent can stick out another move during the recovery of the dodge (ie, jabs). In this game, from what I have seen, the Spot Dodge / Parry is always at least safe if it succeeds, and in most cases if it succeeds you get enormous reward. Getting something like Kragg downsmash for successfully parrying a forward air seems kind of insane. (I am aware that the amount of time the opponent is frozen depends on the recovery of the move, but it seems like it's pretty long in most cases).

We'll see, but my gut says that the freeze frames after a successful parry will need to be reduced, so that your reward on a parry is usually just a jab or tilt. I will be abusing the heck out of it, that's for sure, so if it's broke, we'll know.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that now everyone probably read this and will check to see if it's in.
I mean there are alot of pages here. I am sure alot of the current fan base has read this, but a tiny fraction of the one after full release will have. Plus its fine if some people know about it. everyone on the PM subreddit knows about like 50% of the easter eggs in there the day after a new version drops and those are still fun.

@ jam1garner jam1garner Ah, my bad on the misinformation, I just assumed because his tag used to be Zetter

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
We'll see, but my gut says that the freeze frames after a successful parry will need to be reduced, so that your reward on a parry is usually just a jab or tilt. I will be abusing the heck out of it, that's for sure, so if it's broke, we'll know.
You're taking a risk with parrying. If you parry too much, your opponent will catch on if they're smart. I've had a bunch of times at SSC where the person I'm playing tries to use parrying a lot to stop my dash attack shenanigans, so instead I just run up to them and charge a Strong Attack, and they die at like 60 lmao. High risk, high reward.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You're taking a risk with parrying. If you parry too much, your opponent will catch on if they're smart. I've had a bunch of times at SSC where the person I'm playing tries to use parrying a lot to stop my dash attack shenanigans, so instead I just run up to them and charge a Strong Attack, and they die at like 60 lmao. High risk, high reward.
Parry is a bit of a risk, but it's undeniably greater reward for lesser risk compared to Smash, which I find concerning as it is already a pretty strong defensive option in Smash if used right.

Watching the Sethlon vs Zman set immediately raised a bunch of red flags to me, Zman was almost able to completely shut down Sethlon with those parries, and Kragg is so beefy that he can afford to guess wrong a ton of times. He also points out in other videos that Kragg side B (the spindash move) is almost totally worthless because you can just parry and Smash it for free every single time. In Smash, this would be the kind of move that you wouldn't be able to spot dodge at all.

We'll see what happens when the game is out, but as a longtime Smash player who uses spot dodge heavily (I play Yoshi, Spot Dodge into Down B is how I get like half my kills), removing the checks and balances Smash places on Spot Dodging instantly makes me a bit wary.

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
That set seems fine to me. He continued to call Sethlon out on his button mashy hyper rushdown, and Sethlon wasn't catching on to the parry spam. We want to encourage a strong offensive meta, but we don't want to encourage a BRAINDEAD offensive meta. Parries prevent this. While I do think parries should have a longer cooldown or should have a penalty for abusing them too heavily, their power prevents people from just throwing moves out and not dying.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Honestly I just don't think you should get a free smash attack for parrying an aerial. You should only get that on a parried smash attack.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Honestly I just don't think you should get a free smash attack for parrying an aerial. You should only get that on a parried smash attack.
For Wrastor, his strong attacks ARE his aerials. Then what? And then we have moves like Orcane's backwards Fair. That's a kill move. Should he not be super hard punished for reverse-Fairing into a parry?

Last edited:
Top Bottom