• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
@ DrMister DrMister
i made a concept for nhab

And i made a new colour for wrastor

Inspired by this
I like it. I really do :), but it's a raptor and Nhab's a gator :p. Also it looks cute and I want Nhab to be somewhat fierce. On the other hand, damn you have some skill on spriting! You're really talented! :D

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Hey @ 4nace 4nace what do you think of the character concepts flying around?Curious how you feel about them,if you appreciate the love for the game,or are using em as inspiration,or anything.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
A Challenger is Approaching.

Playable in late February / Early March!
-Dan
Is that a swordsman character with a cape?

I like it. I really do :), but it's a raptor and Nhab's a gator :p. Also it looks cute and I want Nhab to be somewhat fierce. On the other hand, damn you have some skill on spriting! You're really talented! :D
as i said its a concept, i tried to make his face look menacing but i couldn't, also thank you :)

Last edited:

T00nbink

Smash Cadet

Also I have an update to the playtester build, it's not quite the primetime one that I will be using to send to new applicants (who applied since the Early December build), but I do want to get some testing in on it before it is finalized. I plan to send a new link this weekend to some of the active fans and players in this thread. Then a week or two from now, I will be sending out a link to many new playtesters so get your applications in to roa.game@gmail.com if you haven't already!

-Dan
I already knew that there was a new character but still, I am so hyped!

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354

Oh look a character tease. Idle Speculation Mode: Initiate.

The first thing I notice about the silhouette is the fiery hair (or what appears to be hair). Element confirmed? Based on the idea of deception, I'd say the character uses heat to create mirages. Furthermore, the silhouette looks to be by far the most clothed character, and is holding what looks like a dagger?

At first I thought the character appeared to be wearing shoes, but then I looked at the other characters' feet and noticed that, as a silhouette, Zetterburn's feet would look pretty similar. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that this character might be the same or a similar type of creature as Zetter. (Although shoes wouldn't exactly contradict that, anyway.)

The website calls Zetterburn "a son of the ruling family..." Could this be another? Either way, this character looks like he (or she?) could be Zetterburn's foil, the Loki to his Thor in a fairly direct sense.

...I should probaby work on my new playtester application.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
@ 4nace 4nace I have a question. Must I reapply? If I must I SHALL. If not, then I'll check my email and the thread regularly!

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
What if that thing that looks like a cape is MADE out of flame or smoke?
How sick would that be?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm gonna go on a limb and say he's the Element of Furniture.
Because every good fighting game needs a character that no one can quite figure out how they were thought up in the first place.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Hopefully active in the past counts, I've had this page open on my tabs for a weeks now lol. I just haven't had much time to lately play it and most of the feedback I've thought of I either said or many people have echoed at this point. Hopefully will get a chance to check out your new build.

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
Hopefully active in the past counts, I've had this page open on my tabs for a weeks now lol. I just haven't had much time to lately play it and most of the feedback I've thought of I either said or many people have echoed at this point. Hopefully will get a chance to check out your new build.
I agree 90%, becuz I have been playing it everyday :3. I've run out of feedback for now, but after I use the new character my feedback will be centered around HIM/HER first then the others!

Last edited:

dquarius

Smash Rookie
just checking in ive been active in the skype chat lately and almost forgot about this thread lol.

MrTurner

Smash Rookie
NNID
imnotonfire
3DS FC
4339-2611-0575

Also I have an update to the playtester build, it's not quite the primetime one that I will be using to send to new applicants (who applied since the Early December build), but I do want to get some testing in on it before it is finalized. I plan to send a new link this weekend to some of the active fans and players in this thread. Then a week or two from now, I will be sending out a link to many new playtesters so get your applications in to roa.game@gmail.com if you haven't already!

-Dan

I think smoke is a pretty fair bet. S M O K E B O Y Z

Last edited:

FadeAmmo

Smash Rookie

I think smoke is a pretty fair bet. S M O K E B O Y Z
THE HYPE IS REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Cant wait

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Someone finally played the game with me.
Her tier list is
Kragg
Zetterburn
Orcane/Wrastor

Mine is probably
Kragg
Zetterburn
Wrastor
Orcane

None of us is very familiar with the game,so that's way Wrastor and Orcane are probably lowest lol.
top of stage kills are easy due to low blastzones and powerful uairs and usmashes and I think that's good,anyways.
Thoughts:
Kragg:Very easy to use.Great power and only somewhat slow speed.
Rock is crazy flexible and easy to use.Pillar allows what is probably best recovery and these 2 allow crazy stage control as well.
Balance wise he needs some nerf,I feel.He's too easy to use.He can keep away with rock without much commitment.Maybe a thrown rock that hits opponents also beaks on the spot w/o sending any chips flying?

Zetterburn:I don't find too easy to use but she did.He's a really solid,well rounded guy but also has his own gimmick.Balancing everyone on this guy's power level would be pretty good.He's very fair,weak moves are fast,strong kill moves are a bit hard to land,good stuff.His uair is strong but only if sweetspsotted making tos kills require precision.He's just very basic and well made.Nothing feels unfair for him or about him,save maybe recovery,but that's an excusable flaw.Though my mate thinks he's too easy to use for too much reward,looking at Orcane/Wrastor.

Orcane:She says he's a bit too limited w/o puddle.Not a huge problem for me though,I go ham with dairs and nairs.But still,no puddle does limit him.
His recovery is very odd because it's best in turns of distance with up-B but crazy punishable if predicted(which is easy to do).No puddle destroys that though.F-B does allow horizontal non-puddle recovery though..

Wrastor:No ground smashes are hard to get used to.Combos are his magnum opus,lol.His moves are a bit weak generally and his kill moves will probably be during a combo.F-B is awesome.The vertical reach of it is quite larger than it seems( he can throw it out like his height off the ground and it'll affect him when he's on the ground. )Rolling in it is really awesome,as is air dodging.It can be used as a pesky projectile also.Up-B is bad recovering to punish the fact you shouldn't even be needing to use it to recover,fair enough.

Hoo,wall of text.Sorry if I was curt but hey,that's a lot of words.Game's super fun!

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hey @ 4nace 4nace what do you think of the character concepts flying around?Curious how you feel about them,if you appreciate the love for the game,or are using em as inspiration,or anything.
Since he hasn't answered yet, I think this will be about as accurate as I can get with answering it for ya:

[1/4/2015 6:07:55 PM] Dan Fornace: yeah i wouldnt mind have some fan dlc chars design honestly. could have the best designs fight it out on smashboards and then pick one to create. this char seems cool. kragg could use an insect friend :)
[1/4/2015 6:08:26 PM] Dan Fornace: got the sand char in the thread too for it to fight against

Rubica

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rubica
@ 4nace 4nace Is there an ETA on Timer for Stock matches? I understand it's super low priority, but it'd be nice to have.

I still haven't stumbled across too many glitches yet, but I also tend to play by myself v CPUs.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Since he hasn't answered yet, I think this will be about as accurate as I can get with answering it for ya:

[1/4/2015 6:07:55 PM] Dan Fornace: yeah i wouldnt mind have some fan dlc chars design honestly. could have the best designs fight it out on smashboards and then pick one to create. this char seems cool. kragg could use an insect friend :)
[1/4/2015 6:08:26 PM] Dan Fornace: got the sand char in the thread too for it to fight against
I can take this statement in one of two ways:

1. My character design is so lackluster to him he doesn't bring it up when discussing fan characters.
or
2. The current ice character he is working on already has a similar concept to the one I've been working on.

If it's the first then T_T
But if it's the latter...

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885

Im glad Nhab's here! Can't believe he's made it this far! I'll keep adressing his abilities and making him better after the new character is released, as adressed in one of my older posts.

FadeAmmo

Smash Rookie
What would his unique ability be?

DrMister

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teneexe
3DS FC
5472-7362-4885
What would his unique ability be?
New update! Snakes now longer arc when they reach the floor, they now keep moving
fowards. Aerials which were completely ripped from Charizard were added ;-;.

Nhab is widely recognized in the Shifting Sands for his barbaric attitude and his brutal deeds. He was the one who attempted to assassinate the Water City's highest commanding officer. He was born in an area of the Shifting Sands where chaos reigned in every corner. He saw it as something normal, until one day he snapped. Many say it was because of the death of his parents before his very eyes. Others say it was because someone stole his most prized possession, a gift from a deceased friend. There is one thing everyone knows for sure, though. That he takes pity on no one.

Movelist
NEUTRALS AND TILTS
Jab Combo: 4%, 4%, 6% - Swipes 2 times with his tail, and then bites powerfully with his jaw
Side Tilt: 9% - Hits with his claw
Down Tilt: 6% - Quickly swipes the floor with his tail
Up Tilt: 8% - Forcefully raises his fists in the air
SPECIALS
Slithering Sand (Neutral Special): 5%(In air) ~ 7% (Grounded) Tosses a snake formed by the sand of his village, which travels foward in an arcing motion. If falling, it goes diagonally down. (Pikachu's Neutral B)
Sandstorm Propulsion (Side Special): 5%(Uncharged), 20%(Fully Charged) - Using his sands as propulsion, Nhab flies in foward. After 4 shots, the 5th is a Sandstorm Shot, which sends him farther and deals more damage and more knockback.
Sand Trap (Down Special): 3% - Creates a sand trap a few blocks away from him. Immobilizes a person from 1~2 seconds. Cannot trap the same person for 4 seconds after being released. Trap's stay in the stage, until someone activates it. Maximum of 2(3?) unactivated traps.
Shifting Uppercut (Up Special): 1%(In-air), 10%(Grounded), 25%(Trapped Opponent) - Using his power and the power of sand, Nhab does a mighty uppercut which then sends him to special fall. He has no movement during the uppercut, and when falling can move. Has a sweetspot which raises both damage and knockback. (Luigi's Super Jump Punch)
STRONG ATTACKS (SMASHES)
Side Smash: Does a heavy punch infront of him
Down Smash: Stomps the ground, causing sand and debris of the ground to bounce (Charizard's Down Smash)
Up Smash: Does a headbutt upwards (Luigi's Up Smash)
AERIALS
Neutral Air: Spins around and whips his tail while spinning (Charizard's NAir)
Foward Air: Swipes his claw in front of him (Charizard's Fair)
Up Air: Bites above him (Charizard's Project M UAir)
Back Air: Swipes his tail behind him (Charizards Bair)
ELEMENTAL POWERS
Crushing Traps: [To be fixed]
Sandstorm Shot: [To be changed]
??? (Open for suggestions :p)

Dumb Trivia!
Interestingly enough, Nhab means Marauder in Arabic, I translated it from English to Arab and from Arab to the Latin Alphabet

Last edited:

FadeAmmo

Smash Rookie
You could make him Like Lucario, execpt sand insted of aura
or at some points in the match his damage with sand does 1.5 percent more damage

FadeAmmo

Smash Rookie
My fan char
DENDONI, The Volting Striker!
Attacks and Tilts,
Jab Combo: Punch 2%, Continous punches (Captain Falcon) all 1% does it 5 times, Spins round and kicks 6%
F tilt : Thrusts palm forward with volts covering it all, stuns 3%
U tilt : Gently arcs his arm round him with eletric traling after (Zelda) 6 %
D tilt: Head butts, going slightly forward

Smashes
Forward smash (Pikachu) 3 dmg for it hit 17-20 dm
g
altogether
U SMASH Like u tilt, but uses both hands and claps at top 20%
All done =) for now

4nace

Smash Ace
I can take this statement in one of two ways:

1. My character design is so lackluster to him he doesn't bring it up when discussing fan characters.
or
2. The current ice character he is working on already has a similar concept to the one I've been working on.

If it's the first then T_T
But if it's the latter...

Haha I've seen the ice designs too. Didn't mean to act like I'm ignoring them :).

I haven't put a TON of thought into the second water-based character yet, so I can't say if there's overlap in the designs. I can say that if an Ice character were made, there is a good chance it would be able to slick up the floor. :D

-Dan

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Okay
Bee dude
Don't even have a name for him
Should probably get one
But here we go an idea for his story

If you don't remember bee dude
Well since we're doing concepts now.

Flowers bruh

I have a concept for a flower based character. I've conceptualized it as a bee character but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
The character would spawn with a flower under its feet, and it would stay there unless it planted a new flower.
The flower is pretty much an extension of the character. None of its specials will work without the flower. Its like a buffed Orcane puddle in some ways. One special would set the flower, one would cause the flower to release multihitting "stun spores", and one would be a grab that holds the opponent in place like a venus flytrap.
The last special would be the recovery, where our bee warrior makes a straight shot for the flower, wherever it may be. I imagine this movement could be used for many things other than recovery. If you still have a double jump you could jump cancel it and use it again, but otherwise you'd be locked into that movement path so it would be one of the more predictable recoveries despite having the most range outside of Orcane.
Outside of uses in specials, I could see the flower acting like a personal air armada spring for bee-dude.
Das it
Go home everyone.
Flowers, bruh.

Anyway
The bee isn't the only guy you play as tho, the flower herself is a character.
She is a princess of some flower kingdom inhabited by bees. The bees help the flowers and the flowers help the bees and so on. The queen is a bee(obv) and demands that the princesses stay inside the castle at all times.
Of course that won't last.
Enter our hero, a bee knight who falls in love with the princess. He makes a deal with a mage(or some magical being idk) to find a way for them to be together and see the world, as that's always been the princess's dream. The mage gives him magical seeds that allow him to summon her from wherever she may be to where he plants the seed.
With this, they can both escape easily, but not unnoticed.
The queen puts a bounty on his head and a reward for returning the princess.
Now you have the classic story, star-crossed lovers on the run from the law just trying to find their place in the world.
They also fight people when they have to because RIVALS.

Boom. Did it.
Bees, bruh.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Since we're showing off fan designs, I might as well show mine as well.

Luni & Cressi
Radiance of the Moon

Element: Moon Energy

Appearance:
A female arctic fox with long, bleach-blond hair. She's dressed in black mage's(not like a black mage, but mage's robes that are black) robes that are covered in different pictures or symbols to represent the night. (crescent moon, constellations, stars, etc) She stands up-right, as opposed to quadrapedal. She holds a book in one of her hands, used for her magic.
Cressi is Luni's Moon Spirit. It's a pale blue, wisp-like being that attacks for Luni. After all, she hates getting her own hands dirty.

Fighting style:
Luni plays a very defensive, range-based game that relies heavily on rushing down her opponents with Cressi while making sure to stay nowhere near them, herself.
If Cressi hits an enemy with a dash, Luni can cancel the dash into a Strong Attack or Special Attack. Hurting Cressi will also hurt Luni for 1/3 the damage the move would've dealt, to promote careful spacing and not just blindly attacking without consequence.

NORMAL MOVES:

Neutral attack: Luni closes her eyes and lowers her head as she unleashes a force of energy all around her that knocks enemies away.

Forward attack: She takes her book in both hands, raises it above her, and violently whacks the enemy with it, swinging it downwards.

Up attack: Raises one hand above her, a magic sparkle appearing above it.

Down attack: Quickly places her hand on the ground, a strong magic spark attacking the area in front of her feet. (Samus, basically)

Neutral air: Opens her book so it faces the screen, and a blast of magic shoots out around her.

Forward air: Opens her book in front of her, a magic sparkle attacking several times in front of her.

Back air: Turns around and opens her book, a magic blast appearing in front of her, also giving her a push forwards(or backwards now, since she's now facing the other way. Bsaically in the opposite direction of the back air.)

Up air: Swings her book in an arc above her.

Down air: Opens her book below her, hitting once, and then closes it on the enemy, hitting a second time for a meteor effect. Can sourspot on the sides for no meteor.

SPECIALS:

Neutral Special: Control
Pressing the button will cause Luni to temporarily possess Cressi. Afterwards, inputting a direction will cause Cressi to dash in that direction. Cressi's dash will stop early if he collides with any terrain.

Side Special: Moon Beam
Luni fires a ray of moon energy from her hand. If it hits Cressi, it will rebound back to Luni, who will send it back to Cressi if it hits her. This game of pong can be kept up as long as the player can manage to keep the beam bouncing between the two. Only one beam can be out.

Down Special: Moon Ray
Luni fires a ray of moon energy skywards.(reverse Pikachu Down B basically). Cressi fires a continuous laser beam of moon energy downwards for about 1.5 seconds. If this laser hits Luni, its duration is doubled, width increased, and knockback also increased.

Up Special: Moonlight
A glow of moonlight shines down upon Luni. While in this glow(a vertical area sort of like Wrastor's Side B, but about 3x as thick), Luni is carried upwards, unless she's on the ground. Luni also heals for 1% every second she's in the glow.

STRONG ATTACKS:

Side Strong: Cressi unleashes a magic blast in whatever direction Luni is facing.

Up Strong: Cressi unleashes a magic blast above him.

Down Strong: Cressi unleashes a magic blast below him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom