• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
so as far as the controller config thing goes..

I mentioned it earlier but I figured I would give it a try in action before I passed judgement and... the current system is really not great IMO.

Even if the system did save your profiles the next time you opened up... it would still be pretty clumsy.

This controller config is going to be terrible for big tournaments too.

I really strongly recommend you figure out a way to do 'tap to select' control config rather than 'scroll to select' control config. I know there might be some difficult questions to answer because sometimes you want to map multiple buttons to the same function but from the perspective of a competitive player it's really worth it.

Also... there is no way to configure certain buttons to be 'nothing.'

I really wish I could map 'B' to 'undefined' but it's not an option which means I have to choose some thing my guy is going to do when I mess up and press the b button by mistake.

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Since only 40 people got the build, people need some way to learn about the characters and how they play. I thought it would be cool if the playtesters could work together and make a huge combo/tutorial video, each fraction dedicated to a different character. It would include strategies, techs, and of course some sweet combos. Then, when the early access on steam comes out, they can use the techs they learned and add them in to their own combos. The tutorials would be in-depth and easy to learn, while the combos will be more for hype and entertainment. (Maybe throw in a 7th character teaser?!?)

Let me know if you think this is a cool idea.

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
Are you guys going to develop a controller config thing like dolphin emulator for gamecube controllers to work?
I've been playing smash with a GC controller for 10 years, and especially since roa has wavedashing, a gamecube controller really fits this game
I don't want it so i need to use joy2key in order to use a GC controller, because that would be really annoying for tournaments
using anything other than a gamecube controller just seems off

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Are you guys going to develop a controller config thing like dolphin emulator for gamecube controllers to work?
I've been playing smash with a GC controller for 10 years, and especially since roa has wavedashing, a gamecube controller really fits this game
I don't want it so i need to use joy2key in order to use a GC controller, because that would be really annoying for tournaments
using anything other than a gamecube controller just seems off
Trust me, using an xbox one or 360 controllers feels absolutely amazing for this game. I've used it so much now that I prefer it over GC controllers. But everyone has their own personal preferences. Theres a guide for using xbox360ce on the subreddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/RivalsOfAether/comments/3db7uh/the_full_gamecube_controller_guide/

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I'm making some game hacking theory videos for RoA soon. Examples include:

What if Maypul could always / never grapple onto an opponent?
What if a character could air-dodge infinitely?
What if a character's walking speed was zero?
What if a character's walking speed was negative?
What if a character's move did 50000% damage?

All of these and more are things I've achieved hacking in-game values to recreate. Lend me your suggestions for more things to modify in-game!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I'm making some game hacking theory videos for RoA soon. Examples include:

What if Maypul could always / never grapple onto an opponent?
What if a character could air-dodge infinitely?
What if a character's walking speed was zero?
What if a character's walking speed was negative?
What if a character's move did 50000% damage?

All of these and more are things I've achieved hacking in-game values to recreate. Lend me your suggestions for more things to modify in-game!
What if all characters had 4 jumps?

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
On thing that I think you could implement is that when characters up-specials interact with kraggs pillar, they go less distance this could improve kraggs ledge guarding potential.

Also, are ther and plans to implement B-reversing and Meteor canceling?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
On thing that I think you could implement is that when characters up-specials interact with kraggs pillar, they go less distance this could improve kraggs ledge guarding potential.

Also, are ther and plans to implement B-reversing and Meteor canceling?
B-reversing is already in the game. Meteor canceling, probably not going to be implemented any time soon, but it's always a possibility.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
First in a series of hacking theory videos for RoA.

And Gif: (orcane at double speed + rainbow hack)

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
First in a series of hacking theory videos for RoA.

And Gif: (orcane at double speed + rainbow hack)

Ooohhh shiny! What about 'What if a character could cancel any move into another without end lag?', 'what if kragg put luigi's wavedash length to shame?', or 'what if zetterburn had move that straight up takes stocks'. I dunno if any of this is possible, since "in game values" is pretty vague

Edit: another one could be other characters with fosburn's clone ability.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
In a months time or so I'm planning out a podcast for Rivals of Aether to go alongside the release of the game on steam early access. Anyone who wants to join, I'll consider you, but specifically there are a few people I'd prefer attend if possible:
@ 4nace 4nace @Steel Banana @ AbsoluteBlack AbsoluteBlack @AZProjectM @Cirby64 and a few more that I'm forgetting right now

It will be split into some dev related questions for Dan and Youngblood, competitive questions for all, future of the game opinions, what the players what to see added, favorite things (w/ explanations), and more to fill up either 30 min or around an hour. We can also selectively answer user submitted questions.

The time is adjustable. It only has to be a month from now since cirby is away in Germany and me and him would be co-hosting things.

It'll be fun :) and if it's successful then there will be more podcasts in the future between just me and cirby with some special guests from time to time. They'll all be uploaded to the RoA Community Hub.

lecceo

Smash Rookie
i am very confused. I've heard the open beta will be released mid july, late july, early august, mid august, and late august. can someone just give me the correct time? i would prefer someone who actually knows the date, and didn't just hear it on an online vid.

BroccoliNL

Smash Rookie
NNID
dragonartistnl
Man super hype to support this game! Cannot wait for open beta b/c me and my friends are gonna stream it constantly, especially if it gets online functionality! You'll see me here a lot more when the game comes out but until then I may try to contribute. Just wanted to say hi until then! :bee:

Tf4 | Lukas

Smash Rookie
NNID
soldierofhis95
3DS FC
4167-4487-9196
Hi everyone!! New to the playtesting on Rivals of Aether. Hope to put in some good work on this game. My first question (because I have quite a bit of reading to do with 69 pages of previous discussion) is: Has anyone created aids to determine or show blastzones for each stage? Or is this going to be something maybe included in future playtesting builds?

Also wondering if a training mode similar to Smash Training will be added (noted that Practice AI on opponents is possible already) where percents can be manipulated on opponents to test boundaries and combos? Thanks for all of your time and hard work, 4nace. Really excited for RoA!!

Last edited:

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone!! New to the playtesting on Rivals of Aether. Hope to put in some good work on this game. My first question (because I have quite a bit of reading to do with 69 pages of previous discussion) is: Has anyone created aids to determine or show blastzones for each stage? Or is this going to be something maybe included in future playtesting builds?

Also wondering if a training mode similar to Smash Training will be added (noted that Practice AI on opponents is possible already) where percents can be manipulated on opponents to test boundaries and combos? Thanks for all of your time and hard work, 4nace. Really excited for RoA!!
From what I've heard, percentage can be edited from external programs @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam Could probably help with that

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
In a months time or so I'm planning out a podcast for Rivals of Aether to go alongside the release of the game on steam early access. Anyone who wants to join, I'll consider you, but specifically there are a few people I'd prefer attend if possible:
@ 4nace 4nace @Steel Banana @ AbsoluteBlack AbsoluteBlack @AZProjectM @Cirby64 and a few more that I'm forgetting right now

It will be split into some dev related questions for Dan and Youngblood, competitive questions for all, future of the game opinions, what the players what to see added, favorite things (w/ explanations), and more to fill up either 30 min or around an hour. We can also selectively answer user submitted questions.

The time is adjustable. It only has to be a month from now since cirby is away in Germany and me and him would be co-hosting things.

It'll be fun :) and if it's successful then there will be more podcasts in the future between just me and cirby with some special guests from time to time. They'll all be uploaded to the RoA Community Hub.
I'd be interested in the podcast, but I'm no RoA big name like the ones you listed lol.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I'd be interested in the podcast, but I'm no RoA big name like the ones you listed lol.
Doesn't have to be big names as long as its playtesters or people who we can get outside perspectives about the game from. I'll make a schedule for podcast stuff then see how possible it is to include more people.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610

:mad088: tfw ya boi isn't included

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Here are some numbers for those who are interested. @AZProjectM has been a big part of the community so I decided to put some numbers on that. Their YouTube channel is some of the best RoA content and they recently hosted the EVO invitational. As of now, they have a total of 35,210 views from Rivals of Aether videos alone, with 23 videos averaging over 1,500 a piece! Just thought that was pretty cool :)

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Doesn't have to be big names as long as its playtesters or people who we can get outside perspectives about the game from. I'll make a schedule for podcast stuff then see how possible it is to include more people.
Awesome. I've been a tester since Jan/March build so I'm sure I wouldn't disappoint. ;)

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
Played this at Gameclucks yesterday, was really fun. I'd need more than ten minutes to provide any real constructive feedback but things felt mostly fluid using Xbone controls.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
last weeks weekly smash thing saw a lot of new people coming. quite a few of them played a bunch of rivals, It was cool to see it in some new peoples hands (I have been bringing it to weeklies in Columbus for like 6 months now, so alot of the time its the same people I am playing it with) Many of them had already heard of the game and were super pumped to try it. Basically just positive feedback, and requests for taunts. People really want taunts.

One question that I did get asked several times was about how much the game would cost. Last I heard that hadn't been announced yet... but it there a ballpark estimate for what I can tell people when asked? The steam early access beta is only like a month away, so it seems like that might have been figured out? I am guessing somewhere around the $20-25 mark but I dont really want to say anything that might turn out to be real wrong later, anyone know?

Also the podcast sounds like a great Idea for something to go along with the early access @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam

EDIT: Also... can rainbow mode get put in the game! Because rainbow Orcane looks amazing!

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
last weeks weekly smash thing saw a lot of new people coming. quite a few of them played a bunch of rivals, It was cool to see it in some new peoples hands (I have been bringing it to weeklies in Columbus for like 6 months now, so alot of the time its the same people I am playing it with) Many of them had already heard of the game and were super pumped to try it. Basically just positive feedback, and requests for taunts. People really want taunts.

One question that I did get asked several times was about how much the game would cost. Last I heard that hadn't been announced yet... but it there a ballpark estimate for what I can tell people when asked? The steam early access beta is only like a month away, so it seems like that might have been figured out? I am guessing somewhere around the $20-25 mark but I dont really want to say anything that might turn out to be real wrong later, anyone know?

Also the podcast sounds like a great Idea for something to go along with the early access @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam

EDIT: Also... can rainbow mode get put in the game! Because rainbow Orcane looks amazing!
Fun fact. That gif I posted... The very last frame of the animation, my game crashed lmao

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
If you have ideas for topics to discuss, please let me know. It's gonna be a professional, relaxed, and fun thing :)
I would love to participate... I feel like my playgroup is pretty advanced in terms of game skill right now and we have made a lot of observations about small technical things and melee tech skill transitions (like ledge cancelling and such...)

Not sure what type of things you want to discuss on there but if you want to talk about the implications of aggressive wavedashing and different tricks you can use with the characters for aggressive mixups and such or really any thing else I think we have enough gametime logged to give some pretty novel perspectives.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Fun Facts with Zetterburn:

here are the values set for different dashing speeds for the 6 released characters:

maypul - 10
wrastor (in current) - 8
orcane - 6.5
zetterburn - 5.75
forsburn - 5.75
kragg - 4.5
wrastor - 4.5

I assume that's measured in pixels per frame (in 60fps) but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Chuck Tatum

Smash Apprentice
So if you wavedash aggressively with low wind tunnels Wrastor can get CRAZY aggressive without even leaving the ground... to the point where you can really kinda play him like a ground character.

You can even do streetfighter style crossups by wavedashing through people and then turn around forward tilting... there are literally a dozen ways to mix up with this aggression (wavedash to, up, down, or forward tilt, wavedash behind to up down or forwad tilt and all kinds of cheesy permutations of the mixup.) It comes out REALLY fast and baits parries super hard too...

Also, I really want to re-iterate that wavedashing is doooominant in this game. With good wavedashing Forsburn becomes literally twice as strong... Orcane gets a huge benefit, Wrastor gains a crazy ground game from it... Zetterburns wavedash is CRAZY... check out how far Zburn can go if you wave dash -> dash attack... Only character who seems not to benefit as much from wavedashing is Kragg... which is unfortunate because with every one in my playgroup wavedashing all of the time now Kragg seems even SLOWER...

I have been experimenting with my playgroup and I have to say that at high levels the level of tech skill required to do well is really comparable to melee (not necessarily a bad thing.) but wavedash/waveland based strategies with a lot of shuffling are definitely really strong and not easy even without having to l-cancel. I have picked up on this stuff much faster than my playgroup due to my melee experience and it has given me a huge edge.

Watching my playgroup play compared to the people I see online (even from the big tournament matches) we are moving at crazy speeds comparatively, most of the match vids online look very slow to us... it's like watching old school melee matches vs the new era of crazy fast melee. Based on what I have seen I do not think any one posting videos online is even CLOSE to the technical skill cap of this game. I think my playgroup is just scratching the surface and there's a lot of stuff we are doing that nobody else seems to be using in matches yet (although we didn't know Orcane could moonwalk!)

I think I may record a few videos over the next few days that show off the things I am talking about if people are interested...

Also, does any one know if 'legitimate' waveshine with Zburn actually works? It seems like you can DI out of it but I am thinking that if you double wavedash REALLY fast Zburn may be able to get away with it. If not... you can probably just neutral-B -> wavedash -> dash attack/ down tilt and that will often lead in to a fire smash if you play it properly. Seems pretty crazy good but I don't really play Zburn so...

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Also, does any one know if 'legitimate' waveshine with Zburn actually works? It seems like you can DI out of it but I am thinking that if you double wavedash REALLY fast Zburn may be able to get away with it. If not... you can probably just neutral-B -> wavedash -> dash attack/ down tilt and that will often lead in to a fire smash if you play it properly. Seems pretty crazy good but I don't really play Zburn so...
The move does not have set knockback angles. Instead, it knocks the opponent away based on where the center of zetterburn is relative to the center of the opponent. Fox shine has a set diagonal downward angle always. Falco's has a set angle too but occasionally he's been known to hit invisible ceilings with shine and knock the opponent downwards instead of upwards.

Knowing what angle it will send the opponent is hard. Something CPU's have down pat, but that's because its already calculated for them haha. You can DI out of shine traps most of the time, and the fire knockback from them makes them difficult to use at higher percents. Couple that with the fact that it's usually not even a safe approach option, and you see that it has to be used as a followup to another move.

- Dair > neutral B
- Fair (hitbox that sends the opponent upwards and behind Zetterburn) > neutral B
- Nair > running jump > neutral B
- RAR Bair (unsafe option) > neutral B (may have to dash to reposition yourself to shine based on %)
- low percent dash attack > dash > neutral B (at low percents if they DI towards you or upwards)
- U tilt > read DI > jump > neutral B

Then from there it's about following up the DI from the Neutral B with something else. Zetterburn shine stuff is all about reactions and being creative. It's fun.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
So if you wavedash aggressively with low wind tunnels Wrastor can get CRAZY aggressive without even leaving the ground... to the point where you can really kinda play him like a ground character.

You can even do streetfighter style crossups by wavedashing through people and then turn around forward tilting... there are literally a dozen ways to mix up with this aggression (wavedash to, up, down, or forward tilt, wavedash behind to up down or forwad tilt and all kinds of cheesy permutations of the mixup.) It comes out REALLY fast and baits parries super hard too...

Also, I really want to re-iterate that wavedashing is doooominant in this game. With good wavedashing Forsburn becomes literally twice as strong... Orcane gets a huge benefit, Wrastor gains a crazy ground game from it... Zetterburns wavedash is CRAZY... check out how far Zburn can go if you wave dash -> dash attack... Only character who seems not to benefit as much from wavedashing is Kragg... which is unfortunate because with every one in my playgroup wavedashing all of the time now Kragg seems even SLOWER...

I have been experimenting with my playgroup and I have to say that at high levels the level of tech skill required to do well is really comparable to melee (not necessarily a bad thing.) but wavedash/waveland based strategies with a lot of shuffling are definitely really strong and not easy even without having to l-cancel. I have picked up on this stuff much faster than my playgroup due to my melee experience and it has given me a huge edge.

Watching my playgroup play compared to the people I see online (even from the big tournament matches) we are moving at crazy speeds comparatively, most of the match vids online look very slow to us... it's like watching old school melee matches vs the new era of crazy fast melee. Based on what I have seen I do not think any one posting videos online is even CLOSE to the technical skill cap of this game. I think my playgroup is just scratching the surface and there's a lot of stuff we are doing that nobody else seems to be using in matches yet (although we didn't know Orcane could moonwalk!)

I think I may record a few videos over the next few days that show off the things I am talking about if people are interested...

I very much look forward to seeing your videos.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Here I am with more useless numbers. As of now (including rivals of Dallas 3) big friendly games has 2,409 views on their 42 RoA videos averaging at about 57 views apiece.

TotalConnor

Smash Rookie
Even though I know I won't get a definite answer I really wan't to ask this question, is Dan thinking about making a Captain Falcon esque character? Someone with moves similar to the knee and falcon punch? And if so what other aspects of falcon will inspire him/her?

I know Wrastor has a falcon kick and a Falcon/Samus up-tilt but other than that he doesn't really take that much from falcon. Captain Falcon is a pretty fast character as well, so if a character similar to Falcon was in the works would he be fast and fill the game with one too many fast characters, would he be kind of default like Zetterburn, or a mid-fast character kind of like Orcane?

Like I said I know I won't get a definite answer, because why would Dan just tell some random person everything about his unrevealed characters, but I at least want to hear what some of you guys think. What do you want to see and what ideas have you come up with?

I am so hyped for this game and I hope the public beta on steam is released soon. This is going to be better than Jesus and possibly a step into a new era of Smash/fighting games.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Even though I know I won't get a definite answer I really wan't to ask this question, is Dan thinking about making a Captain Falcon esque character? Someone with moves similar to the knee and falcon punch? And if so what other aspects of falcon will inspire him/her?

I know Wrastor has a falcon kick and a Falcon/Samus up-tilt but other than that he doesn't really take that much from falcon. Captain Falcon is a pretty fast character as well, so if a character similar to Falcon was in the works would he be fast and fill the game with one too many fast characters, would he be kind of default like Zetterburn, or a mid-fast character kind of like Orcane?

Like I said I know I won't get a definite answer, because why would Dan just tell some random person everything about his unrevealed characters, but I at least want to hear what some of you guys think. What do you want to see and what ideas have you come up with?

I am so hyped for this game and I hope the public beta on steam is released soon. This is going to be better than Jesus and possibly a step into a new era of Smash/fighting games.
Dan has mentioned a "Disrespectful character" before, and hints at the possibility of lightning and ice elements. That's all we know. But then again @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam always seems to know a little more. I'm going to go find a source on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom