• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
The problem with having different characters for the final boss in adventure mode for each franchise is that I don't think each frachise will get a playable villain. There would have to be a lot of sharing of villains, and while Ridley is indeed dragon like, he may end up being too Sci-Fi for FE characters.

Maybe Ridley should replace Bowser as the final boss in adventure mode completely, and then he can get a Giga form. That way, you'd be able to play as Ridley and still have the giant Ridley too (who would also become playaqble through AR)

xenero

Smash Apprentice
What would Ridley's Airdodge look like? And what about wavedash?
(Assuming those are in the game)

Stryks

Smash Hero
Airdodge, cmon he'll either do it like mario or like kirby, also what does it matter what both wavedash and airdodge look like?

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
It doesn't, but for what it's worth, wavedashes will almost definately not be in Brawl. New physics engine, and I'm sure they will make it bullet proof this time, no explots whatsoever.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Maybe chainthrowing, but I doubt wavedashing, the guys making the game now that is now an important factor in the game, maybe now thay may make a button that does the wave dashing, Still i prefer the old fashion way, hope WD stay in brawl...

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
It's unlikely. It wasn't suppose to be in the game, it was an exploitation of the games physics engine. Ever heard of "sploits" in an FPS like Counter-Strike? Same thing only the GC wasn't running through a server so they couldn't fix it. Believe me, if they had a way to update SSBM and remove it, they would have. It gives certain characters advantages based off the number of frames certain moves use, and puts other characters at a suprisingly unfair advantage. If it weren't for WD tiers wouldn't exist.

saberhof

Smash Master
Ridley's Airdodge: like an Arwing Barrel roll(SFA), or just when u hold the L button u stay like...sideways
Ridley's Wavedash: Gliding back and forth, maybe if metaknight has a Wavedash they will put his on ridley, having wings and all.

Eaode

Smash Champion
It's not an important factor in the game. It was not intended. If melee didn't have WD, people would still play it.
And what the wavedash looks like is not something they program in the game. It is wat their "Land fall special" animation is.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
If WD is in it'll just be his landing animation same as every other character, his airdodge will probably be him flapping himself to the sidefor a short moment. I also Hope WD won't be in, not because I don't like it just because I think it'll be interesting to see how people change their style of play. Also this isn't a place to discuss WD in Brawl so keep that out.

kaid

Smash Master
Just a minor correction... it IS the Melee physics engine. Hal gave Sora full access to the code. Wavedashing will likely return because it's only useful a high levels of play, and it would take completely rewriting the airdodge code to prevent it.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about WD, but they've already tried to eliminate chainthrowing in the Pal version, so that will most likely go. I'm guessing that one of the first things many people will do is see if WDing is still there.

But back to Ridley, anyone got a good taunt and victory animation for him?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i see his taunt as being him lifting his head and letting out a loud roar, sort of like bowsers. victory animations i really can't think of that well, but if they are as cool as bowsers, we are in for a treat.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Just a minor correction... it IS the Melee physics engine. Hal gave Sora full access to the code. Wavedashing will likely return because it's only useful a high levels of play, and it would take completely rewriting the airdodge code to prevent it.
That has absolutley nothing to do with it. A new physics engine could and probably will be written since we are dealing with a new console, which emans a new GPU a new CPU. The fact that you can play Melee on it means nothing, it's just going to emulate the games, the same way it will with the downloads. If they want to push this game above and beyond then a new physics engine is needed, particularly for better collision detection, which, if they use the Melee engine, would be impossible. So, no, they will not use the melee physics engine, and the fact that they have ACCESS to the Melee code is irrelevant, that could mean anything.

kaid

Smash Master
Actually, Broadway and Hollywood work EXACTLY like Flipper and the GC other chip. Game developers hare repeatedly stated that any program that works on the gamecube will work on the Wii... you just have more power to play with.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Correct, and you think they will just port in Melee and make it look pretty? Because that's esentially what you are saying... that Nintendo is going to port Melee to the Wii, and give it a graphic overhaul.... if that were true, Brawl would be a launch title, and it's not. They are working from the ground up, they can't take the Melee code and just ADD stuff to it, there are a few more intricacies to it than that, and, honestly, do you think they will allow people to exploit the same holes in the game again? I think not.

kaid

Smash Master
They are adding characters, and tweaking the DI system, as well as making it pretty. They are also adding an extra-flashy move to all the characters, and "The returning characters, to a signicant degree, will be remade."

That's why it's taking so long.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Err, this has nothing to do with the characters, the engine will be remade, watch. Your precious wavedash won't be there anymore. If you spent all that time making a game, and people exploited a slight hole in the system that gave certain characters an advantage..you'd be pissed, I gurantee the WD will be gone, it doesn't require a significant amount of thought, it will be gone, because it's not supposed to be there. Once again, at the risk of repeating myself, there will be a new physics engine, new games need updates, this is one of the most important ones, now that they have (as even YOU stated) the power to do so, they will take full advantage of such and perfect the games in all areas, which includes, but is not limited to: a new physics engine, better looking characters, better looking levels, and more detail all around.

kaid

Smash Master
Gave who an advantage? Mewtwo and Luigi... Oh wait, they're Bottom and Low tier!.

Balancing Wavedashes is a simple matter of ajusting the character's traction.

If you had plans of getting Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, this is where I'd bet you a masterball, traded over wifi, that Wavedashing will be in the game.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
...right...well, I'm not...so....anyway. I would bet that it will not be in the game, but once again we will have to see when the game comes out.

Edit: and honestly, I don't use the WD, I can't incorporate it into my fighting style, so I personally have no use for it. Not that this means others can't, but I haven't a need for it.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
It WILL be a new physics engine, christ people the fact that the console will have a different CPU has little to do with it, you can design many different physics engines, it's up to the people who are making the game, so what are you trying to say that excite truck will hve the same physics engine because it's on the same console? Of course they'll make a new engine because it will help the game characters move fluidly and react better to being hit as he said with a new hitbox system. None of this means WD won't be in but I personally hope it won't as I want to see how people change their fighting style no can we get back to ridley PLEASE.

I believe his taunt will be him turning sideways facing the screen looking up and roaring with his head sort of waving from left to right, if you've ever played Godzilla destroy all monsters melee then it'd be like how he taunts.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Yes they could, it's really that simple or they could just make it so that you can't aiordodge immediately after taking off and that would only leave waveland special in

pimp luvs to smash

Banned via Administration
io thinkm ridley be cool beczu u could use the claws to hit pplz and he can fly i think he be best char in braw
rememer pimp p luoves too smash

bbb

Smash Champion
If I had made this game I would be proud of the fact that people played the game enough to exploit, little truly-insignificant-to-most-characters glitch and wouldn't bother taking out little bugs when I should be worried about things like the YYG. Besides with the emphasis on aerial combat Brawl is promising, who even is gunna care about wavedashing.

I like Ridley (insta-relavence!)

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
I'm pretty glad you're not the maker of the game then, if you ever had to make OPC gmaes you'd understand he ruthlesness with which players will find as many exploits to unbalance the game, you need a good company (Valve, Relic) to get the most out of these games, companies spend A LOT of time fixing minor things (and WD isn't a minor thing so it's got even more value) to make the game a better experience, the amount of patches Relic have done to the Company of heroes beta is incredible andi'm not even gonna start on the updates valve make to CSS. -What is YYG?- If WD is in the game people will care about it, if it isn't, people will moan for a short while then move on, saying I like ridley does not make your post relavent (though it is funny). Thankyou.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
I'm pretty glad you're not the maker of the game then, if you ever had to make OPC gmaes you'd understand he ruthlesness with which players will find as many exploits to unbalance the game, you need a good company (Valve, Relic) to get the most out of these games, companies spend A LOT of time fixing minor things (and WD isn't a minor thing so it's got even more value) to make the game a better experience, the amount of patches Relic have done to the Company of heroes beta is incredible andi'm not even gonna start on the updates valve make to CSS. -What is YYG?- If WD is in the game people will care about it, if it isn't, people will moan for a short while then move on, saying I like ridley does not make your post relavent (though it is funny). Thankyou.
That's what I was saying, if they had a way to patch/update melee, they would have. Anyway, I think Ridley's taunt should be him firing off a stream of fire in the air, similar to Samus' up A.

Stryks

Smash Hero
That's what I was saying, if they had a way to patch/update melee, they would have. Anyway, I think Ridley's taunt should be him firing off a stream of fire in the air, similar to Samus' up A.
But what will happen to the guys above ridley, will they get hurt? im thinking a taunt like bowser's will do for ridley, tough diferent..

kaid

Smash Master
For the record, the playtesters DID find Wavelanding before Melee was released. They knew, in theory, that you could airdodge into the ground to slide, and they felt like leaving that in.

kaid

Smash Master
I can't find the source right now, so I can't provide proof.

I do believe Wavelanding will return. Wavedashing may or may not.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
But what will happen to the guys above ridley, will they get hurt? im thinking a taunt like bowser's will do for ridley, tough diferent..
Well, a damaging taunt aint so bad. Remember Luigi's taunt in ssbm??It does, like 1% damage. Even though fire would do more damage, who would b stupid enough to jump onto ridleys back when he/she is doing it?? But a non-damaging taunt would be fine...what is a wavedash??

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I think that fire in the air taunt is good, and yes the players above him would get hurt. I like Luigi's taunt cuz you could cause damage doing it, it was like an added insult on top of taunting which is already supposed to be an insult anyway. I'd vote for something like that, or maybe he can **** his head back then lean forward and give a loud roar that shakes the whole screen, that would be sick

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well, a damaging taunt aint so bad. Remember Luigi's taunt in ssbm??It does, like 1% damage. Even though fire would do more damage, who would b stupid enough to jump onto ridleys back when he/she is doing it?? But a non-damaging taunt would be fine...what is a wavedash??
... U kiddin me? well its an "advanzed" technique, I would explain it but gotta do some stuff XD...

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
you know, I didn't know what a wavedash was until I joined this site either, but I found out like a few days afterwards, you've been on for a month and you really don't know what it is yet? Why ask us, look it up silly, noone here will want to take the time to explain it (including me) and most people will probably flame you for asking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom