• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley confirmed???(No not related to Masterpieces >.<) Translator would be cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe the NeoGaf leakers. And this kind of helps my case.

The people who are shouting that this is a messiah are kind of odd (although that might've been 10 pages ago...) But if this person is in line with Serebii in terms of credibility, then I'm happy.

Crushes the 35 to smithereens.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I do support this, with all my Smash Bros loving heart, but I have to admit that people saying Ridley has been mentioned often doesn't really prove anything. I don't think Sakurai is purposefully choosing updates and screenshots with "Cryptic meanings".

Basically, using Norfair, Ridley music, and Masterpiece update as evidence to suggest Ridley's inclusion could also suggest he is a boss, like Petey Pirhana and Rayquaza, and that's it.

EDIT: But still, how do we rate? What do the Smashers on SWF think of this?

Credible? Moreso than NEOGaf?

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I do support this, with all my Smash Bros loving heart, but I have to admit that people saying Ridley has been mentioned often doesn't really prove anything. I don't think Sakurai is purposefully choosing updates and screenshots with "Cryptic meanings"

Trust me; I am a *very* strong critic against "mindgames" (what mindgames?), cryptic meanings/teasers and Faces In the Clouds syndromes. However, Sakurai knows that Ridley has a lot of supporters, and I think by mentioning him three times now would pretty much be unprofessional (trollish behavior) if he didn't plan to include him in.

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
Yet there are those who don't think Ridley has to be in.. like me. I'm an avid Metroid lover, and I just cannot see him being playable. I like the idea that he could be in Subspace, but if it means making him small and pathetic like he looks in Melee's opening video, I wouldn't be happy >.>. He could work, I suppose so, but shrinking him down just to satisfy fan's needs would be pretty annoying. Yes Olimar's probably small, but he's the only representative from his series. Bowser isn't that out of proportion, I accept that he works. Ridley however is gigantic.. and screamy x.x.

Ah well, not a bad find, it'll probably end up being true haha. I won't mind too much, but until I see pictures, I'll be happy loathing the idea of a playable Ridley.

-- Andy

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Bowser isn't that out of proportion, I accept that he works. Ridley however is gigantic.. and screamy x.x.
Bowser probably has a bigger mass than Ridley does, considering Rids is pretty bony and lanky and although Bowser is shorter you could technically say he's bigger.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Yet there are those who don't think Ridley has to be in.. like me. I'm an avid Metroid lover, and I just cannot see him being playable. I like the idea that he could be in Subspace, but if it means making him small and pathetic like he looks in Melee's opening video, I wouldn't be happy >.>. He could work, I suppose so, but shrinking him down just to satisfy fan's needs would be pretty annoying. Yes Olimar's probably small, but he's the only representative from his series. Bowser isn't that out of proportion, I accept that he works. Ridley however is gigantic.. and screamy x.x.

Ah well, not a bad find, it'll probably end up being true haha. I won't mind too much, but until I see pictures, I'll be happy loathing the idea of a playable Ridley.

-- Andy
He can still be big and playable. Sure he'll have to be scaled down some but he can still be one of if not the biggest character in the game.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Bowser probably has a bigger mass than Ridley does, considering Rids is pretty bony and lanky and although Bowser is shorter you could technically say he's bigger.

Indeed. Ridley could easily work. His boney body would make it easy for him to be crouched over a lot, like he is in the E-manga. His movements would have to be as slow as Bowser for him to look right though. His claws, tail attacks could be fast though.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Indeed. Ridley could easily work. His boney body would make it easy for him to be crouched over a lot, like he is in the E-manga. His movements would have to be as slow as Bowser for him to look right though. His claws, tail attacks could be fast though.
He crouches like that in prime and prime 3 when you fight him too.

Reyairia

Smash Champion

Yes. Sakurai did say Bowser would be the heaviest character. Although I disagree that Ridley has to necessarily be slow (I think we need a villain that isn't a heavyweight for once, and Ridley may fit the quota depending on his resizing).

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
As soon as I saw Olimar, I was convinced any character in the universe could be made to suit Brawl. Seriously, Ridley can fit in just fine. That doesn't mean to say he will.

Oh, I have no doubt Ridley will be inclusion, but I think what we ought to be worried about is, what if he only turns out to be an SSE boss and that's it? Assuming this is false of course, because this source claims he's "secret".

motsalogeL

Smash Lord

-- Andy
Your a Metroid fan? Somehow I dont believe that, considering if you knew anything about Metroid (And thus Ridley) you would realize that his size isn't one of his major factors.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Your a Metroid fan? Somehow I dont believe that, considering if you knew anything about Metroid (And thus Ridley) you would realize that his size isn't one of his major factors.
Yeah, I remember seeing Ridley once on an episode of Size Factor with Joe Rogan. Ridley won, and Rogan said that clearly size was not a factor for him.

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
I've played every Metroid game there is, I grew up on the **** titles. Something I loved most about him was the fact that he always appeared, yes, but also his sheer scale and abilities. He wasn't just a silly buzzy dragon parrot like he looks in the Melee introduction, he was a fully fledged opponent. I think Subspace suits him a lot better, scale is an issue. Samus has never had to fight something like that before >.> it'd look pretty silly in my opinion. Then again, if it's based upon the NES version, I can accept. To me though, his Super Metroid form will be my most memorable, and to just shrink him down would be pretty thoughtless IMO T.T.

-- Andy

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I've played every Metroid game there is, I grew up on the **** titles. Something I loved most about him was the fact that he always appeared, yes, but also his sheer scale and abilities. He wasn't just a silly buzzy dragon parrot like he looks in the Melee introduction, he was a fully fledged opponent. I think Subspace suits him a lot better, scale is an issue. Samus has never had to fight something like that before >.> it'd look pretty silly in my opinion. Then again, if it's based upon the NES version, I can accept. To me though, his Super Metroid form will be my most memorable, and to just shrink him down would be pretty thoughtless IMO T.T.

-- Andy
Again he can still be big, he doesn't have to be like made chrizards size. He could be as big or bigger than bowser.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'm a big (2D) Metroid fan, and I used to agree with the size problem. But I also used to agree with Olimar's size problem.

I think all I have against Ridley now is how overrated and overused he is in Metroid games and the Metroid community in general. No Mother Brain or Kraid have been seen in ages, even though Kraid is pretty important, and Mother Brain is arguably more important than Ridley.

Seeing the entire Prime series, Ridley appears twice and neither Kraid nor Mother Brain appear at all. Ridley only appeared so often (incoherantly too, it doesn't take that quick to rebuild a defeated Space Dragon...) because of his overpopularity. :-/

My opinion, I don't want to be flamed by Ridley supporters ^^;

EDIT: Oh, and PLEASE no Dark Samus, how long did it take for them to create that character design? 2 seconds? As in the same amount of time it took for Silver and Shadow from Sonic The Hedgehog to be created.

Dark heroes ftl.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
To me though, his Super Metroid form will be my most memorable, and to just shrink him down would be pretty thoughtless IMO T.T.

-- Andy
Yeah, but to Lego and I think it'd be thoughtless if Ridley was reduced to a boss like Petey Pirahna or Rayquaza shorting him on his true importance to the series. Boss is second-rate/consolation prize, and I don't think Ridley deserves it.
I mean, this is only one game in all the ones Ridley will appear in. If Ridley is in this game will just come out and Ridley will go back to being a gigantic boss (although I never found him to be really that big, especially not in Super Metroid) like always.

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
That I wouldn't mind so much, even if he'd have to bang his head a little bit o.O. I thought Bowser/Charizard were the biggest characters though? Or was that a mistranslation of heaviest, since I haven't seen much since.

I'm not fully against Ridley in, seriously, I just don't want him playable, unless it's reasonably canon, and he's a truly decent Metroid opponent. I stick to my original views, but I can't really change anything now haha, we just have to wait and see.

-- Andy

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
About Ridley being a boss, I don't think that's too downgrading. It could still be incredibly epic, and have fantastic potential. I know Olimar was a bit of a predicament, but Ridley and Samus are from the same games o.o if I were her I'd be a wee bit perplexed if a mini Ridley flew onto the stage haha. Maybe he eats a mini shroom?!

-- Andy

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
I'm a big (2D) Metroid fan, and I used to agree with the size problem. But I also used to agree with Olimar's size problem.

I think all I have against Ridley now is how overrated and overused he is in Metroid games and the Metroid community in general. No Mother Brain or Kraid have been seen in ages, even though Kraid is pretty important, and Mother Brain is arguably more important than Ridley.

Seeing the entire Prime series, Ridley appears twice and neither Kraid nor Mother Brain appear at all. Ridley only appeared so often (incoherantly too, it doesn't take that quick to rebuild a defeated Space Dragon...) because of his overpopularity. :-/

EDIT: Oh, and PLEASE no Dark Samus, how long did it take for them to create that character design? 2 seconds? As in the same amount of time it took for Silver and Shadow from Sonic The Hedgehog to be created.

Dark heroes ftl.
Given that we're talking about Smash Bros, this isn't really AGAINST Ridley appearing- if anything his overexposure makes him more suitable for Smash Bros, since he's second only to Samus in number of appearances.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman

Dark heroes ftl.
That's a fair opinion, and certainly not one that should get you flamed. I'm personally a big fan of Ridley, and I'm hoping and praying this news is accurate, but even I admit that he's appeared in a lot of Metroid games at the expense of the other classic bosses. It's a shame the Kraid boss fight that was meant to be in Metroid Prime was scrapped. And while Dark Samus is cool too, I don't personally want to see her as a playable character. Ridley would be more deserving and cool IMO.

Again, just stating my opinion. If you want Dark Samus in, then good for you. I'm not trying to influence anyone's opinion here...

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind Dark Samus, but hey. I'm more for the 2D titles in the long run. Yes Ridley would be the best candidate, but bleeeurgh. To me, a consolation prize as someone called it would be shrinking him down and making him a normal fighter. A boss seems a lot more fitting.. But hey ^^;.

-- Andy

PS Excuse my double post back there..

Rash

Smash Ace
Actually, Mother Brain did appear in Metroid Prime 3, sorta. I mean, Mother Brain is just another Aurora Unit like the ones Samus communicates with in the game.

The reason why there's been a lot more focus on Ridley is because he's been established as the leader of the space pirates (who just happend to be the main foes for 90% of the Metroid games). I mean yeah, in the first few games he and Kraid were just bosses, but as the Metroid series went on, new stories and lore were developed that just happened to make Ridley more important. He just happens to be a truly major character now, while Kraid and Mother Brain specifically had already served their general purposes. Admittedly, it's interesting to note that they both appeared at the beginning and near the end of the Metroid timeline of games (considering that Metroid is the first and Super Metroid is the second to last).

As far as Smash is concerned, all three big enemies have been used in the backgrounds of stages. Ridley in Zebes (SSB 64), Mother Brain in Brinstar (SSBM), and Kraid in Brinstar Depths (SSBM). Out of all those, Ridley just seems like the logical choice because a) I could actually imagine him as playable and b) he hasn't appeared in Smash since SSB 64.

Who would you rather have be a playable character in Brawl? Dark Samus? That's a reasonable choice considering that Dark Samus is Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime is like the Mother Brain of the MP trilogy. However, Ridley just seems more like a shoo-in for Smash because he's been in more games, has been there since the very beginning, and has been established as Samus' true nemesis.

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman

Dark heroes ftl.
Arguably true, but Mother brain and karid just don't make as much sense as PCs. Plus, he's a space-dragon, how awesome is that?

Still, mother-brain for SSE boss!

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
Haha you know I'm going to have to accept this if it is true, bleh. I suppose it's an alright idea, but Ridley just seems silleh. It was already done in Melee though.. if he still looks exactly like Ridley, sounds like Ridley, acts like Ridley, and has an actual purpose, I'd be ok.. as long as he's big. And realistic.

-- Andy

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'd be ok.. as long as he's big. And realistic.
Olimar.

Arguably true, but Mother brain and karid just don't make as much sense as PCs. Plus, he's a space-dragon, how awesome is that?

Still, mother-brain for SSE boss!
I agree that Ridley makes more sense as a playable character... but in the games themselves, Ridley is overused :p

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
And people, stop saying Olimar >.> Samus and Ridley are from the same games. It just wouldn't look right haha. At least have the nerve to call it BABY Ridley >.>.

-- Andy

PS Editing isn't working for me T.T.

Machete

Smash Ace

That's true, only counting the games, MotherBrain would be more important than Ridley.

But, thanks to the Metroid manga, Ridley became Samus' nemesis, and the most important character after Samus herself.

Samus has no relation with neither Kraid or MotherBrain. Ridley, on the other hand, created Samus, he made her a bounty hunter.

And people, stop saying Olimar >.> Samus and Ridley are from the same games.
Mewtwo is like 10 times bigger than Pichu...

If that info is true, I'll dance and jump like an idiot.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
And people, stop saying Olimar >.> Samus and Ridley are from the same games. It just wouldn't look right haha. At least have the nerve to call it BABY Ridley >.>..
OK fine.

Mario & Bowser. ;)

Seriously, has anyone here played Mario Sunshine? Bowser's even huge in Galaxy. In size, Samus > Mario and Bowser possible bigger than Ridley. I don't think size is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom